Kemet wrote:
dk7th wrote:
Kemet wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Kemet wrote:Yes! Yes! Knicks WIN!
Galloway 3 game performance showed great consistency
Gallo gets my vote for starter over Afflalo .. im saying it now

its not even close

Believe me Galloway decision-making improve tremendously over the offseason, above Afflalo decision making performance

this is an interesting statement and i would like you to explain what you mean.

Young Galloway has been playing both guard position for the Knicks, and his decision making at either position has been great because he show improvement each game, especially in crunchtime as our FINISHER!
Plus Galloway is a 2 way player that can be a pest on defense.

Afflalo is a Shooter, there's nothing special added to Afflalo talent other than being a shooter.

Oh yeah, he played with Melo in Denver. Will Afflalo let opposing guards dribble past him like Calderon? He did in Denver.

He's also decent in the post. And can defend with size.

no way he is going to defend like galloway though. Galloway is defending like a 1st teamer. Not sure he can keep up this crazy energy though.

How about we wait until he gets on the course until we throw down some gantlet statements that really can't be backed up.

you don't really think for a second that AA can/will defend like galloway

so here is what phil is thinking ....
AUTOADVERT
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
11/2/2015  9:57 AM
Galloway needs to start, plain and simple. Calderon needs to get his inner Kerr/Paxson and be a sharp shooter from the bench.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/2/2015  10:19 AM
Game ended with Gallo, Sasha, Melo, LT, Rolo. 3 guys from last season who would have been labeled cast-offs. Amazing.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
11/2/2015  10:41 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/2/2015  10:44 AM
NYKBocker wrote:Galloway needs to start, plain and simple. Calderon needs to get his inner Kerr/Paxson and be a sharp shooter from the bench.

Every good team has at least 2-3 guys in their starting unit that can score 20 or more. I think Aflalo is one, and Gallo should be the other. Gallo is more than capable to run the triangle as a PG. Move Gallo up and KP down. KP needs to have the offense to himself. He needs to learn how to be the alpha dog. I believe we are holding his development back on the offensive end, as a starter next to Melo. Melo plays better with scoring guards vs scoring forwards.

Gallo
AA
Melo
KP
Rolo

Calderon can hide his defensive ineptitude, by surrounding him with Grant, Dwill, KOQ, Saraphine, etc....

Grant will guard the quicker more dynamic player, while Calderon guards the slower bench player. Right now Fisher has Calderon matched up with every teams best guard, when he should be matched up against every teams bench player. That way, Calderons offense will look better, since he's not wasting energy chasing these elite guards.

It's not rocket science.....The game is the same, whether it's a pickup league or the NBA. It's about putting the players in the best position to succeed.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

11/2/2015  10:43 AM
blkexec wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:Galloway needs to start, plain and simple. Calderon needs to get his inner Kerr/Paxson and be a sharp shooter from the bench.

Every good team has at least 2-3 guys in their starting unit that can score 20 or more. I think Aflalo is one, and Gallo should be the other. Gallo is more than capable to run the triangle as a PG. Move Gallo up and KP down. KP needs to have the offense to himself. He needs to learn how to be the alpha dog. I believe we are holding his development back on the offensive end, as a starter next to Melo. Melo plays better with scoring guards vs scoring forwards.

Gallo
AA
Melo
KP
Rolo

Calderon can hide his defensive ineptitude, by surrounding him with Grant, Dwill, KOQ, Saraphine, etc....

Grant will guard the quicker more dynamic player, while Calderon guards the slower bench player. Right now Fisher has Calderon matched up with every teams best guard, when he should be matched up against every teams bench player. That way, Calderons offense will look better, since he's not wasting energy chasing these elite guards.

we need a 2 on the second unit who can score.

blkexec
Member: #748
11/2/2015  10:46 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/2/2015  10:48 AM
mreinman wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Gallo
AA
Melo
KP
Rolo

we need want a 2 on the second unit who can score.

We need more athletic 2's period.....Especially somebody that can break down a defense and get to the rim.....This team is heavy at SF and PF.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
mreinman

11/2/2015  10:48 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/2/2015  11:09 AM
blkexec wrote:
mreinman wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Gallo
AA
Melo
KP
Rolo

we need a 2 on the second unit who can score.

We need more 2's period.....This team is heavy at SF and PF.

so sasha looks like he has the 3rd spot. Fisher likes him so there must be enough there. I think that he is way too much of a chucker. Lets see how well he will shoot it.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/2/2015  12:56 PM
blkexec wrote:

Gallo
AA
Melo
KP
Rolo

It's not rocket science.....The game is the same, whether it's a pickup league or the NBA. It's about putting the players in the best position to succeed.

I don't know, I am not there yet with Gallo; I do think he is doing a brilliant job and has certainly earned a TON of consideration for starting. I wish Bip would finish his intern stuff and start posting again, it was always nice to hear him chime in on this process.

For me Gallo has not fully earned the PG starting role - and this is certainly a fast and loose definition of earning a spot, and it changes depending on the situation (KP for me is an obvious exception). During the SL there were a ton of instances where Gallo didn't make the correct pass or didn't seem to organize the offense, etc. But I was also very down on his play as a whole and look what has happened, it's clear that the SL can be good for some and misleading for others.

The second unit is about pushing the ball and getting quick baskets and also playing against weaker opponents. The first unit is more plodding and probably runs more traditional triangle sets. Can Gallo push the ball against first stringers while also making good decisions and set up the team WHILE doing his thing. There were several instance late in the Wizards game where Clyde noted that Gallo didn't recognize defense and get the ball where it should be going.

I am pretty sure the coaching staff has a benchmark about what they would like to see both out of Gallo and Grant before they more from bench to starting role, and 1 game won't do it. I'm guessing they need to see it 10-15 games without too many mental errors before they would even consider switching.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
holfresh
Member: #1081

11/2/2015  1:13 PM
martin wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Gallo
AA
Melo
KP
Rolo

I don't know, I am not there yet with Gallo; I do think he is doing a brilliant job and has certainly earned a TON of consideration for starting. I wish Bip would finish his intern stuff and start posting again, it was always nice to hear him chime in on this process.

For me Gallo has not fully earned the PG starting role - and this is certainly a fast and loose definition of earning a spot, and it changes depending on the situation (KP for me is an obvious exception). During the SL there were a ton of instances where Gallo didn't make the correct pass or didn't seem to organize the offense, etc. But I was also very down on his play as a whole and look what has happened, it's clear that the SL can be good for some and misleading for others.

The second unit is about pushing the ball and getting quick baskets and also playing against weaker opponents. The first unit is more plodding and probably runs more traditional triangle sets. Can Gallo push the ball against first stringers while also making good decisions and set up the team WHILE doing his thing. There were several instance late in the Wizards game where Clyde noted that Gallo didn't recognize defense and get the ball where it should be going.

I am pretty sure the coaching staff has a benchmark about what they would like to see both out of Gallo and Grant before they more from bench to starting role, and 1 game won't do it. I'm guessing they need to see it 10-15 games without too many mental errors before they would even consider switching.

It's still the case...Gallo has had issues with spacing, doesn't know where to be at critical junctures against Washington...Once, three players cleared the left side for Melo and Gallo...Gallo took the ball to the side with the three players...Clyde mentioned it..It's tough starting two rooks who are trying to find their role in spacing on offense... I do understand why people want Gallo to start, it's not that he has earned it, but Calderon is such a liability, it effects the front line defensively..

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
11/2/2015  2:19 PM
holfresh wrote:
martin wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Gallo
AA
Melo
KP
Rolo

It's still the case...Gallo has had issues with spacing, doesn't know where to be at critical junctures against Washington...Once, three players cleared the left side for Melo and Gallo...Gallo took the ball to the side with the three players...Clyde mentioned it..It's tough starting two rooks who are trying to find their role in spacing on offense... I do understand why people want Gallo to start, it's not that he has earned it, but Calderon is such a liability, it effects the front line defensively..

good post. It shows that just because a player *is* better, doesnt mean he will *play* better. That is what veterans bring. That is no doubt why Fisher trusts Sasha. Things like that can take a couple years. Gallo is not a PG by nature. He's a two and plays like a two. When he's playing PG he plays like that like two also.. but he takes care of the ball and he defends with spirit, so he simply must be better than Jose, but thats not always the case.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
holfresh

11/2/2015  3:18 PM
fishmike wrote:
holfresh wrote:
martin wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Gallo
AA
Melo
KP
Rolo

good post. It shows that just because a player *is* better, doesnt mean he will *play* better. That is what veterans bring. That is no doubt why Fisher trusts Sasha. Things like that can take a couple years. Gallo is not a PG by nature. He's a two and plays like a two. When he's playing PG he plays like that like two also.. but he takes care of the ball and he defends with spirit, so he simply must be better than Jose, but thats not always the case.

I'm on the fence to be honest..I really hate seeing Calderon's inability to guard anyone more so than Gallo's ability to pick up the offensive flow...But Calderon has to play some..Does it matter if he is getting blown by in the first quarter or second quarter as a back-up?..I'm thinking Gallo will get the majority of minutes anyway...

mreinman

11/2/2015  3:59 PM
holfresh wrote:
fishmike wrote:
holfresh wrote:
martin wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Gallo
AA
Melo
KP
Rolo

I'm on the fence to be honest..I really hate seeing Calderon's inability to guard anyone more so than Gallo's ability to pick up the offensive flow...But Calderon has to play some..Does it matter if he is getting blown by in the first quarter or second quarter as a back-up?..I'm thinking Gallo will get the majority of minutes anyway...

it matters if he is getting blown (by) out of the gate. We want to start out strong, not have to climb back all the time.

Also, if calderon plays at all (and that is only if he starts hitting his shot at the rate that he used to) then it may be better to play him against slower and/or weaker 2nd stringers. Having him guard Wall was the stupidest and the ugliest thing that I've seen.

holfresh

11/2/2015  4:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/2/2015  4:06 PM
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
fishmike wrote:
holfresh wrote:
martin wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Gallo
AA
Melo
KP
Rolo

it matters if he is getting blown (by) out of the gate. We want to start out strong, not have to climb back all the time.

Also, if calderon plays at all (and that is only if he starts hitting his shot at the rate that he used to) then it may be better to play him against slower and/or weaker 2nd stringers. Having him guard Wall was the stupidest and the ugliest thing that I've seen.

The problem is that you can't have essentially two rookies in the starting lineup trying to figure out where to stand and rotate on offense...You see it a lot with Grant too..So pick your poison...

mreinman

11/2/2015  4:48 PM
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
fishmike wrote:
holfresh wrote:
martin wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Gallo
AA
Melo
KP
Rolo

The problem is that you can't have essentially two rookies in the starting lineup trying to figure out where to stand and rotate on offense...You see it a lot with Grant too..So pick your poison...

I pick the athletes over guys who can't defend and can no longer shoot. Let the kids learn, they can't do any worse.

Its okay for them to play together on the second unit breaking plays/sets?

mreinman

11/2/2015  4:49 PM
also lets remember that Afflalo is new to the triangle too, no?
holfresh

11/2/2015  5:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/2/2015  5:40 PM
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
fishmike wrote:
holfresh wrote:
martin wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Gallo
AA
Melo
KP
Rolo

I pick the athletes over guys who can't defend and can no longer shoot. Let the kids learn, they can't do any worse.

I don't have the answer for that..Fish is getting 5 mil per to make that decision..Bringing in Calderon was bad...No way we should have taken on that salary for such a player..Its not that he doesn't help, but he hurts us defensively..Our bigs rack up fouls even faster with him out there..

I would sit Calderon and KP..Start LT and Gallo which will be a better defensive lineup but u don't want to hear that..

mreinman

11/2/2015  7:00 PM
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
fishmike wrote:
holfresh wrote:
martin wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Gallo
AA
Melo
KP
Rolo

I don't have the answer for that..Fish is getting 5 mil per to make that decision..Bringing in Calderon was bad...No way we should have taken on that salary for such a player..Its not that he doesn't help, but he hurts us defensively..Our bigs rack up fouls even faster with him out there..

I would sit Calderon and KP..Start LT and Gallo which will be a better defensive lineup but u don't want to hear that..

KP is actually playing well and way above my expectations.

would you sit mudiay for denver because he is playing badly?

Anyway, this to me is about building a core and getting exp for our kids. Winning is nice but its not primary for me right now. Its not like we are expected to get far.

Gamethread: Wiz on Halloween

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy