[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Caron Butler recounts when Gilbert Arenas pulled 4 guns on Javaris Crittenton only to have a gun pointed back in his face
Author Thread
ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
10/9/2015  11:36 AM
Thrilling stuff...you could make a movie about it.

On the flight home the next night after we lost at Phoenix, Gilbert, teammate Javaris Crittenton, and several other players were in a card game that got real heated. While Gilbert was a dominating presence on the team, Javaris didn’t roll with some of his ways. The players were in seats facing each other with a pull-out table between them. I was in the seat next to them half asleep as we began our descent into DC.

My eyes popped open when I heard Javaris say, “Put the money back. Put the [expletive] money back.”

“I ain’t putting [expletive] back,” Gilbert replied. “Get it the way Tyson got the title. Might or fight or whatever you got to do to get your money back. Otherwise, you ain’t gettin’ it.”

When Gilbert put the money in his pocket, Javaris lunged over the table to grab him. Antawn Jamison, seated across the aisle, leaped up, shoved Javaris’s shoulder down on the table, and held it there with the full weight of his body while telling him to calm down.

I got up and yelled “Hey, everybody shut the [expletive] up. How much was in the pot?”

It was $1,100.

“It shouldn’t be that hard to pay what you owe him,” I told Gilbert. “We all make a great living, so just pay the money.”

A man who has a $111 million contract shouldn’t be fighting over $1,100.

Message not received. The two of them kept arguing as we buckled up for the landing.

They were still going at it when we all got on an airport shuttle van to take us to our vehicles.

Ernie Grunfeld, the team president, leaned over to me and said in a pleading manner, “Talk to them.”

“I did,” I told him, “but they keep arguing.”

Everyone could hear Gilbert and Javaris going at it as we rode along.

“I’ll see your [expletive] at practice and you know what I do,” Gilbert said.

“What the [expletive] you mean, you know what I do?” replied Javaris.

“I play with guns.”

“Well I play with guns, too.”

We had the next day off, but on the following day, December 21, practice started at ten o’clock at the Verizon Center so we all wandered in a little earlier.

When I entered the locker room, I thought I had somehow been transported back to my days on the streets of Racine. Gilbert was standing in front of his two locker stalls, the ones previously used by Michael Jordan, with four guns on display. Javaris was standing in front of his own stall, his back to Gilbert.

“Hey, MF, come pick one,” Gilbert told Javaris while pointing to the weapons. “I’m going to shoot your [expletive] with one of these.”

“Oh no, you don’t need to shoot me with one of those,” said Javaris, turning around slowly like a gunslinger in the Old West. “I’ve got one right here.”

He pulled out his own gun, already loaded, ****ed it, and pointed it at Gilbert.

Other players who had been casually arriving, laughing and joking with each other, came to a sudden halt, their eyes bugging out. It took them only a few seconds to realize this was for real, a shootaround of a whole different nature. They all looked at each other and then they ran, the last man out locking the door behind him.

I didn’t panic because I’d been through far worse, heard gunshots more times than I could count, and seen it all before. This would have been just another day on the south side.

I talked calmly to Javaris, reminding him that his entire career, not to mention, perhaps, his life, would be over if he flicked that trigger finger.

I looked back at Gilbert. He was silent as he removed himself from the scene.

Javaris slowly lowered the gun.

I know that Gilbert was thinking, “I went too far. I had a gun pointed at me and it was loaded.”

Somebody outside the locker room called 911. Flip Saunders was the coach back then, but he was too scared to even come into the locker room.

I was under no illusions that many of the rest of us were not going to be affected by the gun incident. I knew this was the end of the Washington franchise as we had known it. With Mr. Pollin gone, a new regime coming in, and the image of the team shattered by guns that weren’t even fired, it was time to tear up the Wizards, wipe the roster clean, and start all over again.

Arenas probably a second away from dying. Over $1100. The whole team running from the locker room then locking the door behind them. Flip Saunders too afraid to even be near the locker room. Caron Butler playing the Denzel Washington negotiator role. Now, that's dysfunction!

AUTOADVERT
holfresh
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1081

10/9/2015  11:47 AM
who cares?
ChuckBuck
USA
10/9/2015  11:57 AM
holfresh wrote:who cares?

Maybe holfresh, since he cared to comment.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
10/9/2015  12:11 PM
It took them only a few seconds to realize this was for real, a shootaround of a whole different nature.

My favorite line!

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
10/9/2015  12:32 PM
both careers destroyed over $1100..wtf, gilbert was making that per hr
ES
ChuckBuck
USA
10/9/2015  12:45 PM
knicks1248 wrote:both careers destroyed over $1100..wtf, gilbert was making that per hr

Gilbert was making phucking bank...$111m contract, man.

Too bad he had shyt for brains.

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
10/9/2015  12:51 PM
The nail in the coffin (figuratively and literally) was when he was convicted of manslaughter by shooting an innocent bystander during a shooting in 2011. (hey, if he hit his target, well, that's would've been 1st degree murder!)

He's currently serving a 23 year prison sentence.

Gilbert Arenas had a different account of the story here. Probably more believable.
http://deadspin.com/gilbert-arenas-posts-rebuttal-to-caron-butlers-version-1735566952

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

10/9/2015  12:51 PM
Someone read the account of the book on ESPN, yesterday...Might have been Hahn. Pretty wild incident.

Crittenton was clearly not someone to mess around with. Now in prison for killing a woman while he was trying to shoot someone else in a gang related incident.

Seems that he was not only a great HS player in Georgia, but was an academic standout, too. Talk about talent being wasted.

If he was to write a book it might be a lot more interesting than Butler's.

Arenas is a lucky fellow to have not ended up as the manslaughter victim Crittenton went to jail for shooting.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
10/9/2015  1:46 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/9/2015  1:46 PM
The NBA culture is continuation of the culture from were the players come.
So this not a surprise of any kind.
Big money are not making things better but rather corrupt people even more.
In general power of any kind, physical, political, monetary corrupts the mind by making people bigger in their own perception from what they really are.
If one has no no good deeds and great accomplishments to make other people live better he/she are worth nothing no matter how many millions they have.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/9/2015  2:55 PM
ChuckBuck wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:both careers destroyed over $1100..wtf, gilbert was making that per hr

Gilbert was is making phucking bank...$111m contract, man.

Too bad he had shyt for brains.

“No, when they did the amnesty [clause], when the amnesty came in, I think it was two years ago, what they did was, instead of me getting paid $20 [million] a year, they extended the years and dropped the money down. So instead of getting 20 I was getting 12 for a longer period of time. So I’m still getting paid until 2016.”d. “No, when they did the amnesty [clause], when the amnesty came in, I think it was two years ago, what they did was, instead of me getting paid $20 [million] a year, they extended the years and dropped the money down. So instead of getting 20 I was getting 12 for a longer period of time. So I’m still getting paid until 2016.”

htthttp://p://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/04/24/gilbert-arenas-planning-nba-comeback-im-gonna-give-it-one-more-chance/

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Caron Butler recounts when Gilbert Arenas pulled 4 guns on Javaris Crittenton only to have a gun pointed back in his face

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy