[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

wow KOQ signed for 4 years
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/9/2015  9:18 AM
Really 3 as the last year is a PO, but we essentially have him locked in for $4mm a year the next 3 years (a bit less actually)

I thought this was a 1 year with PO type deal but Im really impressed we have this guy locked in for 3 years so cheap. I didnt see him much in Orlando but first impressions are very solid. A bit slow flooted (Boozer ish) but good feel for the game, good rebounding, great shooter, made some nice passes and he's got a 7'5 wingspan so he is a VERY long player.

Strikes me as a fantastic signing. I'm pretty excited about this guy's potential. Seems like downside is a nice bench guy who can play 4-5. Upside is starting caliber 4... maybe like a taller longer David West. Time will tell but my first impression was extremely positive. When I read about his incredibly cap friendly contract I was very impressed.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
USA
10/9/2015  9:21 AM
he also blocks shots.. was a huge shot blocked in college (ok, its Norfolk State so lets keep it real) but he is averaging 2 blocks a game (per 30 minutes) in the NBA.
mreinman
Member: #3189

10/9/2015  9:24 AM
we should have gotten 2 of him and not wasted so much money on this DWil bum.
so here is what phil is thinking ....
fishmike
USA
10/9/2015  9:30 AM
mreinman wrote:we should have gotten 2 of him and not wasted so much money on this DWil bum.
well FWIW Williams was given the short term deal. I get that signing. We need scoring and he's an above the rim player. We have a low level commitment to him, a very tradable contract and lets see who wins those rotation minutes.

It was a grasp and a long shot... I do agree. I wonder what they know (or think) that other teams didnt

ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
10/9/2015  9:44 AM
O'Queens may turn into a real crowd pleaser!

He has certain flair for the game in his wide body.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/9/2015  10:10 AM
Servicable "Rony Turiaf" type player that in time could get further down the bench but stays ready when injury strikes.
Part of the culture is to have "system" guys. "Herb Williams" kind of guys. O'Quinn at that price is good trade fodder if needed.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
10/9/2015  11:08 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/9/2015  11:09 AM
His is a glue guy, locker room presence, chemisty builder, positive energy, home town product, he can play also. Could be one of those guys that's stucks provides leadership and is a fixture in the community. Then end up working for the Knicks org in some capacity.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
knicks1248
Member: #582
10/9/2015  11:22 AM
mreinman wrote:we should have gotten 2 of him and not wasted so much money on this DWil bum.

dwill can turn out to be a bonus, he looks to be a perfect fit for this system.

I rather fit than talent any day of the wk

ES
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
10/9/2015  11:24 AM
fishmike wrote:
well FWIW Williams was given the short term deal. I get that signing. We need scoring and he's an above the rim player. We have a low level commitment to him, a very tradable contract and lets see who wins those rotation minutes.

It was a grasp and a long shot... I do agree. I wonder what they know (or think) that other teams didnt

Love "O'Queens"!!! He was a great pick up. Smart, tough and team oriented. Nothing not to like. He's already a vocal leader to boot. PERFECT for the Triangle too.

As for DWill it should be noted that he is basically being paid like a high draft pick. People are making WAY too much of his salary. It's a low risk high reward type of move. Also his having a bigger contract makes him more useful in a trade should we need to make one. When you have a lot of ultra low cost guys it's harder to use them in a deal that's for a higher cost guy without gutting your roster. Just for factual reference:

Derrick Williams $4,400,000 $4,598,000
Kristaps Porzingis $4,131,720 $4,317,720

People are making a big deal of DWill's contract?

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
10/9/2015  11:35 AM
The Kyle O'Quinn signing was my favorite signing from the summer. Well, maybe after ROLO.

But it's a good signing. I think he's gonna be a team leader. Much better player than Turiaf.

¿ △ ?
fishmike
USA
10/9/2015  11:50 AM
Rony Turiaf... thats not a bad call, however Rony never showed a shooting touch like KOQ, so I like to think there is a much higher upside
mreinman
Member: #3189

10/9/2015  11:52 AM
fishmike wrote:Rony Turiaf... thats not a bad call, however Rony never showed a shooting touch like KOQ, so I like to think there is a much higher upside

I wish that he took more shots near the rim though.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
10/9/2015  11:55 AM
crzymdups wrote:The Kyle O'Quinn signing was my favorite signing from the summer. Well, maybe after ROLO.

But it's a good signing. I think he's gonna be a team leader. Much better player than Turiaf.

Oquinn was the best signing maybe in entire FA. I love the KP draft pick and of course I want him to get time--but the big bodies of Seraphin Oquinn need extensive playing time.

Right now the line up should be something like this if we are committed to Melo at 3.

C--one of Lopez or Seraphin--whoever earns it and Porzinigis

PF Oquinn--I said it in a post when we got him--he is the starting PF if Melo does not play 4 Porzingis

F Melo one of Williams Early or Thomas--whoever earns it

I would use 5 guards but most of my minutes go to Galloway Grant and Affalo with Calderon and Vujecic getting spot time. Or if we use 3 guard sets.

We dont have the personnel to go 4 guards.

So I essentially have 10-11 guys playing

RIP Crushalot😞
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
10/9/2015  12:25 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
crzymdups wrote:The Kyle O'Quinn signing was my favorite signing from the summer. Well, maybe after ROLO.

Oquinn was the best signing maybe in entire FA. I love the KP draft pick and of course I want him to get time--but the big bodies of Seraphin Oquinn need extensive playing time.

Right now the line up should be something like this if we are committed to Melo at 3.

C--one of Lopez or Seraphin--whoever earns it and Porzinigis

PF Oquinn--I said it in a post when we got him--he is the starting PF if Melo does not play 4 Porzingis

F Melo one of Williams Early or Thomas--whoever earns it

I would use 5 guards but most of my minutes go to Galloway Grant and Affalo with Calderon and Vujecic getting spot time. Or if we use 3 guard sets.

We dont have the personnel to go 4 guards.

So I essentially have 10-11 guys playing

Yeah, I think this team is thinnest at the 2/3. The only thing I like about the backcourt is Galloway/Grant playing together.

Afflalo is going to be set back by this hamstring injury. Not learning the offense and it's the type of injury that can linger. If he's out, their 2/3 situation is bad.

The big men are very promising. I like the look of Rolo/KP in one unit and O'Quinn/Seraphin punishing a team's second unit.

I agree that KP should play like 20 min per night and Kyle O'Quinn should get those extra minutes KP misses - so O'Quinn would get like 28minutes, some next to Rolo, some next to Seraphin.

¿ △ ?
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/9/2015  12:51 PM
fishmike wrote:Really 3 as the last year is a PO, but we essentially have him locked in for $4mm a year the next 3 years (a bit less actually)

I thought this was a 1 year with PO type deal but Im really impressed we have this guy locked in for 3 years so cheap. I didnt see him much in Orlando but first impressions are very solid. A bit slow flooted (Boozer ish) but good feel for the game, good rebounding, great shooter, made some nice passes and he's got a 7'5 wingspan so he is a VERY long player.

Strikes me as a fantastic signing. I'm pretty excited about this guy's potential. Seems like downside is a nice bench guy who can play 4-5. Upside is starting caliber 4... maybe like a taller longer David West. Time will tell but my first impression was extremely positive. When I read about his incredibly cap friendly contract I was very impressed.

I never noticed that OQuinn had a 4th year player option. Does that mean Knicks would have his Bird Rights?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
10/9/2015  1:08 PM
Let it be known - if you try to attack the paint this season, you will be KOQ blocked.
fishmike
USA
10/9/2015  1:08 PM
martin wrote:
fishmike wrote:Really 3 as the last year is a PO, but we essentially have him locked in for $4mm a year the next 3 years (a bit less actually)

I never noticed that OQuinn had a 4th year player option. Does that mean Knicks would have his Bird Rights?

YUP YUP... so if he explodes after 3 cheapo years we can sign him to anything.

We can see what happens with Galloway but potentially you have KP, KOQ, Gallo and Grant all rotation guys locked into cheap contracts. Add some max guys while the cap is friendly and you have a loaded team

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
10/9/2015  1:15 PM
I'm psyched about KOQ - but I don't want to get too excited. This was arguably the best short stretch in an NBA uniform! I see a little bit of Turiaf in his game, maybe Boris Diaw. He's bigger and more rugged looking than either of those guys. He's got the big butt that Phil Jackson's into.

I'm going to have to get a little more familiar with his face/tattoos. On first glance, if you told me that was Greg Monroe or maybe even a Morris twin, I'd probably be really confused.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/9/2015  1:37 PM
I know some folks want him to start and he's playing well enough to be considered by the coaching staff, but I would rather see him come off the bench so we have more scoring from the second unit. Would be a great spark off the bench if O'Quinn can keep playing at this level.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/9/2015  1:38 PM
MaTT4281 wrote:Let it be known - if you try to attack the paint this season, you will be KOQ blocked.

OK that's a winner

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
wow KOQ signed for 4 years

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy