[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Pre-season game thread: October 7th. vs. Paschoalotto/Bauru (Brazil).. Madison Square Garden @ 7:30pm
Author Thread
holfresh
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1081

10/7/2015  10:55 PM
martin wrote:I was scratching my head when Lance Thomas got minutes. Must be killing it in practice.

Ahead of Derrick Williams too..Second half Early and Thomas was off the bench before Williams..

AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/7/2015  10:56 PM
blkexec wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:Really liked grant seraphin and oquinn. The defense still leaves a lot to be desired

Yeah the D has to tighten up. They seemed to have way too many breakdowns, but also that team was running that crazy Euro stuff and this team has been facing mostly Triangle in practice. That's a crazy shift in mentality they have to be prepared for. With scouting they should be better prepared for teams during the season tho.

We have slow feet as a team. It's one thing to have bigs.....But the good teams have bigs with quick feet. Even Tim Duncan at 40yrs old has great above average lateral quickness. Enough to get up on your man, and retreat to stop the blow by. I think KP is built for that type of defense, once he gets his feet wet around year 2. But thats the problem with Melo at the SF spot. Melo has the lateral quickness of a PF / Center. Then you add a PF and Center with similar or slower lateral quickness. On top of that, we have Calderon and Sasha, who are not the quickest guards.....And you can argue they have similar foot speed as a forward. 4 out of 5 guys in our starting lineup had the foot speed of an old man.

This is why the 2nd unit was better on defense. Our lateral quickness players....or the best ones we have, were on the bench. And the very best player for perimeter defense, never played.

This is why I said Fisher is the key with his lineups and subs. Is he going to be stubborn and keep the same lineup? And find the right balance? Also, how long will it take him to do this? This is a lot for a rookie coach (first team he coached from scratch, so he's a rookie).

It's not just Fish tho. As a team the coaching staff will examine the film from preseason and they can make better judgments on which players give them the best defensive units. I personally wanted to see Jerian over Jose or perhaps Jerian instead of Sasha, with Afflalo being out. We'll see how this develops. Friday will be a good test against the Wiz.
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

10/7/2015  10:58 PM
nixluva wrote:
blkexec wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:Really liked grant seraphin and oquinn. The defense still leaves a lot to be desired

Yeah the D has to tighten up. They seemed to have way too many breakdowns, but also that team was running that crazy Euro stuff and this team has been facing mostly Triangle in practice. That's a crazy shift in mentality they have to be prepared for. With scouting they should be better prepared for teams during the season tho.

We have slow feet as a team. It's one thing to have bigs.....But the good teams have bigs with quick feet. Even Tim Duncan at 40yrs old has great above average lateral quickness. Enough to get up on your man, and retreat to stop the blow by. I think KP is built for that type of defense, once he gets his feet wet around year 2. But thats the problem with Melo at the SF spot. Melo has the lateral quickness of a PF / Center. Then you add a PF and Center with similar or slower lateral quickness. On top of that, we have Calderon and Sasha, who are not the quickest guards.....And you can argue they have similar foot speed as a forward. 4 out of 5 guys in our starting lineup had the foot speed of an old man.

This is why the 2nd unit was better on defense. Our lateral quickness players....or the best ones we have, were on the bench. And the very best player for perimeter defense, never played.

This is why I said Fisher is the key with his lineups and subs. Is he going to be stubborn and keep the same lineup? And find the right balance? Also, how long will it take him to do this? This is a lot for a rookie coach (first team he coached from scratch, so he's a rookie).

It's not just Fish tho. As a team the coaching staff will examine the film from preseason and they can make better judgments on which players give them the best defensive units. I personally wanted to see Jerian over Jose or perhaps Jerian instead of Sasha, with Afflalo being out. We'll see how this develops. Friday will be a good test against the Wiz.

Good Test? If Jose or Sasha plays any significant minutes it will be a huge thrashing.
The Future is Bright!
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

10/7/2015  11:02 PM
martin wrote:I was scratching my head when Lance Thomas got minutes. Must be killing it in practice.

Had some nice moments last year...did look pretty lame tonight, though.

Maybe he made a deal with Fisher? Play me and I'll watch your back when the Knicks face Memphis.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/7/2015  11:03 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:

Had some nice moments last year...did look pretty lame tonight, though.

Maybe he made a deal with Fisher? Play me and I'll watch your back when the Knicks face Memphis.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
holfresh

10/7/2015  11:12 PM
Fish needs to start O'Quinn and Gallo for better defense and rebounding..
martin
USA
10/7/2015  11:28 PM
holfresh wrote:Fish needs to start O'Quinn and Gallo for better defense and rebounding..

I'm guessing that AA will play ahead of Gallo, so to keep the backcourt of Grant/Gallo together, we saw Sasha in the lineup. Although Grant looked good enough to start.

And there is good argument to start KP too, man as soon as the jitters get out and he starts to get comfortable, watch out.

nixluva
USA
10/7/2015  11:39 PM
TPercy wrote:
nixluva wrote:
blkexec wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Good Test? If Jose or Sasha plays any significant minutes it will be a huge thrashing.

I think Jerian and Gallo are better than Jose and Sasha defensively without a doubt. They will play good minutes so it will be a good test. They got good run tonight and I suspect they will Friday.

Min FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A +/- Off Def Tot Ast PF Stl TO BS BA Pts
L. GALLOWAY # 2 31:42 4-8 1-3 0-0 +23 2 6 8 3 1 2 1 0 0 9
J. GRANT #13 27:35 3-10 0-2 2-3 +19 0 2 2 4 1 0 1 0 0 8
martin
USA
10/7/2015  11:41 PM
I think the Knicks have definite gold in Grant. He'll start some time this year, by year 3 I suspect he will be deadly going to the hoop ala Tony Parker. A bigger, better outside shooting, not as deadly quick version of Tony Parker. Herky-jerky with sneaky quickness to get by you. A better defending Tony Parker. Can't wait until all of those 8-15 footers, floaters, pull-ups become automatic.
nixluva
USA
10/7/2015  11:59 PM
martin wrote:I think the Knicks have definite gold in Grant. He'll start some time this year, by year 3 I suspect he will be deadly going to the hoop ala Tony Parker. A bigger, better outside shooting, not as deadly quick version of Tony Parker. Herky-jerky with sneaky quickness to get by you. A better defending Tony Parker. Can't wait until all of those 8-15 footers, floaters, pull-ups become automatic.

Careful Martin. mreinman may attack you for overhyping Jerian. Cuz you know, there's no way as a rookie he could be a good player this year. Why even get excited about the possibilities?

holfresh

10/7/2015  11:59 PM
martin wrote:
holfresh wrote:Fish needs to start O'Quinn and Gallo for better defense and rebounding..

I'm guessing that AA will play ahead of Gallo, so to keep the backcourt of Grant/Gallo together, we saw Sasha in the lineup. Although Grant looked good enough to start.

And there is good argument to start KP too, man as soon as the jitters get out and he starts to get comfortable, watch out.

I was actually thinking about running Gallo at the point for defensive purposes when AA gets back at least until Grant is ready to start..Calderon s not an option..KP didn't know where to be offensively ..His spacing wasn't good..No need to rush him along..He will also be featured more without Melo around..Overall tho, I'm concerned about the defense...

martin
USA
10/8/2015  12:23 AM
holfresh wrote:
martin wrote:

I was actually thinking about running Gallo at the point for defensive purposes when AA gets back at least until Grant is ready to start..Calderon s not an option..KP didn't know where to be offensively ..His spacing wasn't good..No need to rush him along..He will also be featured more without Melo around..Overall tho, I'm concerned about the defense...

For me, Gallo is good at playing off the ball and harassing second liners. He shot well tonight, but he doesn't push the ball well or set up offense well.

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/8/2015  12:33 AM
martin wrote:

+1
martin
USA
10/8/2015  12:38 AM
gunsnewing wrote:
martin wrote:

+1

Those 2 3-pointers were all money. And he missed a 12 footer in that paint that looked easy. His shot will fall Dirk-like in 2 years. And he will be a C!

gunsnewing
USA
10/8/2015  12:40 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Have to admit Im surprised Galloway has looked so good so early. Im pretty sure he knows he has to bring his A game with Grant in the mix now.

I agree. I didn't think he looked that good in Vegas.

He is playing with actual NBA players that have had more time in the offense. I am not surprise at all. If his shot is on he is an above average player.

Wasn't so great last season. Looks much more polished, confident.

How soon we forget that Gallo was one of the better rookies and showed a lot last year. All Rookie 2nd Team after coming from the D League.

Didnt finish the season that way, thats why Im surprised he looks so sharp so soon.

Gallo had a VERY good rookie year after coming from the D League. Not sure what criteria guys are using to judge a rookie that played well compared with other rookies.

He needs to play better than last yr

That goes without saying, but if Gallo had played any better he would've been All Rookie 1st Team, so you need to have some F'n perspective about how he played.

All-Rookie 2nd Team 2015
PLAYER POS TEAM FG% PPG RPG APG BLKPG

Bojan Bogdanovic F Brooklyn Nets .453 9.0 2.7 0.9 0.1
Langston Galloway G New York Knicks .399 11.8 4.2 3.3 0.3
Marcus Smart G Boston Celtics .367 7.8 3.3 3.1 0.3
Zach LaVine G Minnesota Timberwolves .422 10.1 2.8 3.6 0.1
Jusuf Nurkic C Denver Nuggets .446 6.9 6.2 0.8 1.1

Gallo played badly offensively last season I don't care how many PPG he got.

Whatever man! Kid played hard and of course he needed to improve his game but it's not fair to say he had a bad rookie season. As rookies go he had a good season. Wasn't drafted and still made a name for himself.

Don't care what he was - rookie or not. He had awful offensive numbers but played really nice D and it looks like he has improved his game coming into this season.

Lets call it how it is. His WS48, TS, FG ... whatever ... was all bad. Those numbers did not tell the full story though since his defense is what earned him the spot.

If in your opinion MOST rookies suck then making the All Rookie 2nd team is an indication that Gallo had a good ROOKIE season! By all rights Gallo had no business even being mentioned but he played well enough to be recognized. Having a flaw in your game as a rookie is expected so I don't know why you're making a big deal about it. He looks like he's developed over last year so it's great for the Knicks.

don't care about rookie teams or all star teams. He was a bad (offensive) player on a bad team. Just a fact.

it does look like it was good experience for him watching how he has played tonight.

You are absolutely correct, he was a bad scorer. However, there is a long line of rookies who were terrible offensively their rookie year. He was in a bad position forced to do too much but it did give him valuable NBA minutes. I am not ready to anoint him the next but I just hope he settles in a great role player similar to but not exactly like a Danny Green. Imagine Green without Duncan or playing heavy minutes in Cleveland without Lebron his rookie year.

His arms did look bigger, as they pointed out.

I thought he burned himself out at some point last year. Still feel that he is better as an off guard, or at least in a situation where he does not have to do as much.

He looked good, tonight, and this Brazilian team was quite pesky.

Amazing how much criticism is heaped on an undrafted kid who last year had to do something on the pro level he never did in college...lead an offense.

He is going to get some good minutes in this rotation, and I think he'll emerge as a dependable combo guard.

Shocked at the harsh criticism of Galloway. Kid was thought of as Dleague fodder and wins up 3rd overall in rookie scoring. Think of how many picks there are in a draft. Out of the 50 something players drafted what only 2-3 of them aren't complete garbage? And Galloway wasn't even drafted but is getting roasted?!!

gunsnewing
USA
10/8/2015  12:48 AM
martin wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
martin wrote:

+1

Those 2 3-pointers were all money. And he missed a 12 footer in that paint that looked easy. His shot will fall Dirk-like in 2 years. And he will be a C!

hell yeah his silking smooth shot is a thing of beauty. At 7'3 and still might be growing! Once the jitters are gone and he knows where to go and where to be on offense we are really going to appreciate how well he moves at that size.7'3 andmoves and shoots like a guard. Its almost surreal. He has the potential to be a player this sport yet to see come along. Truly unique. He may not only be the best player in this draft but one the best bigmen to come out of the past 10+ drafts. Along the lines of Anthony Davis, Durant Pau & Dirk
gunsnewing
USA
10/8/2015  1:01 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/8/2015  2:04 AM
martin wrote:
holfresh wrote:
martin wrote:

For me, Gallo is good at playing off the ball and harassing second liners. He shot well tonight, but he doesn't push the ball well or set up offense well.

This.

I see more of a floor leader in Grant which we haven't had since Lin. A true PG. Coincidently we haven't had a penetrating PG since Lin ether.I love Galloway but he is more of a combo guard. Usually combo guards lack basketball IQ but not Galloway he plays like a savvy hardworking veteran. I see a lot of Jason Terry combo guard material in him actually. More Terry than young Jamal Crawford

nixluva
USA
10/8/2015  2:02 AM
gunsnewing wrote:
martin wrote:
holfresh wrote:
martin wrote:

This.

I see more of a floor leader in Grant which we haven't had since Lin. A true PG. Coincidently we haven't had a penetrating PG since Lin ether.I love Galloway but he is more of a combo guard. Usually combo guards lack basketball IQ but not Galloway he plays like a savvy veteran hardworking veteran. I see a lot of Jason Terry combo guard material in him actually. More Terry than young Jamal Crawford

I was really pleased with Jerian and Gallo. They look like really good pieces going forward. We haven't had 2 young guards of this potential in a long time. In fact I like the entire collection of young talent on this roster. They have to be developed but you can see the talent already. We forget how young O'Quinn actually is cuz he looks like a grizzled old vet. This team has a bunch of 25 and under players with good talent.

GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
10/8/2015  8:25 AM
I came away impressed with Melo, Galloway, Grant, Quinn and Seraphin. KP will be fine. He sure can shoot it. My guess is he is a 5 down the road. The Knicks are stacked up front.

Calderon looked Healthy and quicker. Galloway's shot looks more fluid. Grant can break down the D and sets up others very well. Rolo looked good. Nice touch around the rim.

Lance Thomas - Eh.
DWill - OK. Expected more but physically gifted for sure.
Vujacic - will help. Good Smart Vet- this year's Shved.

I think this team will be good. Still getting burned by 3's.

Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
10/8/2015  8:55 AM
I enjoyed the win particularly as the coach ran his mouth. Seraphin and OQuinn made statements and among with Lopez present a force to be dealt with. Grant is quick and sooner or later will secure his time. I think Sasha will take some of Lopez minutes and Galloway will get his minutes whether he starts or not.
Pre-season game thread: October 7th. vs. Paschoalotto/Bauru (Brazil).. Madison Square Garden @ 7:30pm

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy