[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

NYK timeout: Jon Papelbon vs. Bryce Harper (Solely for U Met Fans, respectively!)
Author Thread
DJMUSIC
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1283

9/28/2015  3:32 AM
LOL

Though I am a devout SF Giants Fans (world champs) I should really have said for YOU 2015 MLB National East Div. Champs! true congrads
my san francisco gints team didn't have it this season, injuries no excuse.

Well well well, the Nationals team meltdown took its finale when smart-ass J.Papelbon got into it with Bryce Harper today
says Bryce didn't run out fast enough to 1st base.

DJ got no issue for telling a guy to hustle, but Jonathan P. really?
This guy been here 5minutes in Washington land and done squat, & poisoned that clubhouse

Me as SFG fan, love seeing your METs beat them NATs
One thing I got in common with my met bred-drings is WE BOTH Dislike the MLB Washington Nationals. (See SFGiants vs Nats 2014 NLCS!)
( >90% my relatives are NYM fans)

Good that Bryce Harper stood up to this Jerk J.Papelbon, since Papelbon attacked Harper first, uncalled for punching the guy
the lone superstar of your pathetic Washington Nationals baseball team.

*LOL
I'm amused by it all.

Jayson Werth-less

"we're the team to beat! Not the Mets"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/05/06/jayson-werth-says-the-nats-are-still-the-team-to-beat-in-the-national-league/

Turntable Musiclover & Mix-Master-ologist
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/28/2015  9:51 AM
How you become a SF Giants fan BTW?
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
9/28/2015  10:50 AM
Without knowing anything about the situation that looked really bad for Papelbon. So I googled to see what went on and now I am siding with Papelbon. Interesting read.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/story/jonathan-papelbon-bryce-harper-fight-current-ex-players-support-pitcher-long-time-coming-092715

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

9/28/2015  12:20 PM
NYKBocker wrote:Without knowing anything about the situation that looked really bad for Papelbon. So I googled to see what went on and now I am siding with Papelbon. Interesting read.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/story/jonathan-papelbon-bryce-harper-fight-current-ex-players-support-pitcher-long-time-coming-092715

It was a good read.

Some of the responses the writer from the PLAYERS he got responses from which interested me:

● Pap did what should have been done three years ago. Veteran players should be doing this across the league.

● Bryce is a great player. He's a true superstar. But he's not above playing the game the right way. I'm glad someone finally told him that.

● Kid has been allowed to loaf for the past two years. Williams got crucified for benching him last year; media and fans took Bryce’s side so he kept doing it and wasn’t getting punished. Veteran finally said something; kid ran his mouth at the wrong guy and got beat up.

Highlights the leadership issues which are so important for team chemistry, and something I always talk about regarding the Knicks.

One of the quoted players said Matt Williams sat Harper down last year for doing something similar, and he was attacked by the media and the fans for doing so. The coddling of our stars continues...

You can never overestimate the importance of good leaders on your team. Fisher getting frustrated with JR Smith and not being able to control him last year illustrates this, and the Knicks had to trade him to end the problem, because we did not have guys to put him in his place.

Harper was stupid for publicly making negative comments about Papelbon hitting an opponent for showboating a few days ago...you should keep that in the clubhouse, so you wonder if Papelbon got in Harper's face for the right reason, but it is something that a team's vets should do, in one way or another.

I doubt if this would ever be a problem with Mike Trout, who is about the same age as Harper, but more old school in how he carries himself and plays the game.

Back to basketball...I think Jackson has brought in a good mix of players, and both of our rookies have the kind of maturity which makes it doubtful that any vet will need to put them on the right course, and Grant has a history of being a leader himself. I think guys like Aflalo and O'Quinn might emerge as vocal leaders, and if Calderon has a good season, his voice can carry some weight in the locker room and on the court, even if some around here might doubt this.

Wonder if Harper ever grows up?

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
9/28/2015  12:51 PM
It'd be one thing if a trusted vested vet pulled that on Bryce.

But it's Jonathan Papelbon we're talking about here. 'Nuff said. Team Bryce on this matter.

I don't care about entitlement issues or running hard to first base or extraneous issues. Dude's MVP of the league.

Let's see. MVP or late season trade for embattled closer with baggage issues. Easy answer. Cannot side with grade A Douche of the highest order no matter what you think of Bryce.

MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
9/28/2015  1:24 PM
Team Bryce, Team Pap - why do we always decide someone must be in the right here?
Sometimes you just have 2 a**holes clashing.

Both guys went about their business in the wrong way. Nobody won here, except the Phillies.

ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
9/28/2015  2:33 PM
Better late than never move from the Nationals:

You just can't lay your hands on the MVP. Especially if you're the #1 Douche in probably all major league baseball.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

9/28/2015  3:50 PM
I'm a Mets fan and I can't say that I care that much. I loved crushing the hopes and dreams of the Nats fans a few weeks back, but I don't feel the same deep seated hatred that I feel for the Braves and Phillies. That said, Papelbon is a douche.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
holfresh
Member: #1081

9/28/2015  5:42 PM
It's a clash of eras...Older players want the younger players to uphold the traditions of how things were done in the past..The younger players don't see the necessity...I see it in hoops...Encarnacion walks the parrot after a home run..Older guys want to bean him for that..Younger guys don't care...
Dagger
Member: #4184

9/28/2015  7:41 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/28/2015  7:43 PM
Nats are a trainwreck. Too funny! Papelbon has always been an ill-tempered a-hole and Harper needs a lesson in humility.
DJMUSIC

9/29/2015  12:46 AM
Nalod wrote:How you become a SF Giants fan BTW?

good ques. Nalod, excellent.

Well I was in middle school (mid 70's close to 1980s)
And not yet in highschool, showing my age here *LOL,

DJ first 2 NY pro teams I loved was 1st NY Mets 69, 73 and our Ny Knickerbockers.

This dude in pic below, was my 1st hero of sports:

Legendary #41

My other hero was Walt Clyde Frazier "Knicks" which I was very lucky to meet and spend time with at
corporate event.

When Mets traded Seaver , its was hard. This was the M.Donald Grant , Joan Payson era firesale of ALL METs stars and studs.
Didn't realize it in my teens I held that against the Mets organization & turned to NBA and NFL (steelers)

So I watched alot of west coast games (tv delay) when 1973 METs gave away good players.
Began to watch the 'Old' SFGiants had guys like Sadecki, McCovey, Jim Ray Hart all on their way out
in their aging process in mid,late 70's, and a young dude star in making Bobby Bonds<rip> in SF, father of Barry Bonds.

There was no Tampa Bay, no Marlins, nor any of these other teams and Mets, Atlanta, Dodgers, Pirates, Cubs, SF Giants played
each other 12-18 times a year easily more.

So began love affair with SFGiants in their "Losing" years until their World series 1989 ? vs Oakland
and the sole 2002 world series featuring Barry Bonds, a terrible post season player.

Was a SF Giant fan, never really a big Barry Bonds fan. Now my eldest got great scholarship in NJ,
Attending SF University as a Freshman. Been to SF for games at AT&T Park. A Nice place.

ITs easier to go to Heinz field for NFL than going to West coast. Of Course I don't like the LA Dodgers. Hope NYM beats em' !

Thats my story Nalod. The Tom Seaver trade did me in. I easily got lots of Orange/black old SF Giants sports wear.

I can never ever dislike NY Mets or any NY team, root against them only when they play my SF GIants.
Giants are 1 boring MLB team but I love them as much as My Knickerbockers.

Championship Pro teams sustains you when your Other pro sport teams Sux!
*LOL isn't that correct ? ?

Between SFGIants and Steelers , If I never see another MLB or NFL title again !
I'm very happy pro sports fan.

DJMUSIC

9/29/2015  12:53 AM
NYKBocker wrote:Without knowing anything about the situation that looked really bad for Papelbon. So I googled to see what went on and now I am siding with Papelbon. Interesting read.

Agree sort of
Both Papelbon and Bryce are Jerks and DJ Got no love lost for either.
I Hope the METs ballclub enjoyed it..

Both Jon and Bryce was wrong in the matter, fight.

Bryce disrespected my SF Team last year mouthing at Hunter Strickland for throwing inside,
Harper hit bombs HRs all in series, but made the NCLS all about him, reason why SF Giants whipped NATs as_s.

Later before World Series, Bryce was praising SF saying "Giants are a great team".
Had his respect.

Same for KC Royals last season in World Series each Royal hitter romped to high scores in WS Game#2 showing lots of teethy smiles
as if "This series gonna be easy".

SF Caught Royals butts too and Royals Organization didnt even have enough class in Post game to Congrats ! Giants (3 x time champ)

Royals are great story and team, But they are most Arrogant team, whom when the game score isnt going their way
KC Royals pitchers throws ball at opposing team. I hope Toronto Blue Jays whip their butts..

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/29/2015  9:21 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/29/2015  9:38 AM
DJMUSIC wrote:
Nalod wrote:How you become a SF Giants fan BTW?

good ques. Nalod, excellent.

Well I was in middle school (mid 70's close to 1980s)
And not yet in highschool, showing my age here *LOL,

DJ first 2 NY pro teams I loved was 1st NY Mets 69, 73 and our Ny Knickerbockers.

This dude in pic below, was my 1st hero of sports:

Legendary #41

My other hero was Walt Clyde Frazier "Knicks" which I was very lucky to meet and spend time with at
corporate event.

When Mets traded Seaver , its was hard. This was the M.Donald Grant , Joan Payson era firesale of ALL METs stars and studs.
Didn't realize it in my teens I held that against the Mets organization & turned to NBA and NFL (steelers)

So I watched alot of west coast games (tv delay) when 1973 METs gave away good players.
Began to watch the 'Old' SFGiants had guys like Sadecki, McCovey, Jim Ray Hart all on their way out
in their aging process in mid,late 70's, and a young dude star in making Bobby Bonds<rip> in SF, father of Barry Bonds.

There was no Tampa Bay, no Marlins, nor any of these other teams and Mets, Atlanta, Dodgers, Pirates, Cubs, SF Giants played
each other 12-18 times a year easily more.

So began love affair with SFGiants in their "Losing" years until their World series 1989 ? vs Oakland
and the sole 2002 world series featuring Barry Bonds, a terrible post season player.

Was a SF Giant fan, never really a big Barry Bonds fan. Now my eldest got great scholarship in NJ,
Attending SF University as a Freshman. Been to SF for games at AT&T Park. A Nice place.

ITs easier to go to Heinz field for NFL than going to West coast. Of Course I don't like the LA Dodgers. Hope NYM beats em' !

Thats my story Nalod. The Tom Seaver trade did me in. I easily got lots of Orange/black old SF Giants sports wear.

I can never ever dislike NY Mets or any NY team, root against them only when they play my SF GIants.
Giants are 1 boring MLB team but I love them as much as My Knickerbockers.

Championship Pro teams sustains you when your Other pro sport teams Sux!
*LOL isn't that correct ? ?

Between SFGIants and Steelers , If I never see another MLB or NFL title again !
I'm very happy pro sports fan.

On June 15, 1977, the Mets traded Kingman to the San Diego Padres for minor league pitcher Paul Siebert and Bobby Valentine; Tom Seaver was traded to the Cincinnati Reds for Pat Zachry, Doug Flynn, Steve Henderson and Dan Norman; and Mike Phillips was traded to the St. Louis Cardinals for Joel Youngblood.

Bonds for Mercer happened before the 1975 season.

Via wall st. journal a few years ago:

Seaver, who was 7-3, with a 3.00 ERA at the time of the swap was 32 at the time.

"Tom Seaver was an icon. Tom Seaver was the franchise. Trading him was like the Braves trading Hank Aaron or if the Pirates traded Roberto Clemente.

"The circumstances of our trade were very unique," says Zachry, the 1976 co-NL Rookie of the Year and a centerpiece of the deal. "That sort of thing doesn't take place very often, and may well never happen again."

Indeed, back in 1977 organizational ineptitude crippled Shea Stadium. Four years had passed since the "Ya Gotta Believe" Mets won the National League pennant, and in that span M. Donald Grant, the team's chairman, turned a roster filled with young, proud, passionate gamers into sludge. In the spring of 1976 the Mets had signed Seaver to a three-year, $675,000 contract, making him the game's highest-paid player. Four months later, however, a new collective bargaining agreement ushered in unrestricted free agency, and Seaver's riches now looked downright paltry.

According to several former teammates, Seaver, who could not be reached for comment, was actually thrilled by the economic opportunities afforded players—but livid over the Mets' refusal to engage. As the cross-town Yankees added one big name after another, the Mets did nothing, prompting their ace to ask, "How can you not even try?" Those words—along with mounting resentment over his contract—led to war.

Dick Young, at the time the city's most famed, confrontational and ownership-friendly columnist, began to regularly slam Seaver in the Daily News, referring to him as an ingrate who should have greater appreciation for Grant and the franchise. Seaver actually agreed to an extension with the club, but when Young ripped him one last time, in a personal manner, Seaver had enough. He demanded to be traded ASAP.

The Mets were in Atlanta, facing the Braves, when a deal was completed.

"We'd heard the rumors, but when it finally happened we were shocked," says Bob Myrick, a pitcher with the club. "It was like letting air out of a balloon. We weren't a very good team. But to get rid of our ace? It made no sense."

That same day, the Mets shipped Dave Kingman, their star slugger, to the Padres. The Massacre was complete.

And yet, was it really a massacre? Though Worst Trade lists almost always include Seaver-to-the-Reds, the results—from the Mets' end—weren't that awful. Flynn started for 4½ years in New York, winning a Gold Glove in 1980. Zachry was a rotation mainstay for 5½ seasons, going 41-46 for some dreadful teams. Henderson batted .290 or better in three of his four seasons with the Mets and Norman, well, Norman never panned out.

"Look, we played hard and we represented New York well," says Zachry, who lives in Woodway, Texas, where he works as a physical education teacher. "But when a trade involves someone as legendary as Tom Seaver, it's hard to live up to that standard. I suppose that's the risk of trading a star. The return package has to be good.

"It better be awfully good."

Awful trade and the mets were awful in contrast to the surging Yankees. Too bad George could not get him and kept him in NY.

Why on earth did the GIants trade Bill Madlock???? But they had "THE COUNT"!!!!

After moving to North Carolina in 1985 I have tried to root for other teams. Panthers are OK, been to a few games, but not under my skin like the Giants are. Maybe cuz as a kid I saw Giants play the Cards in Yankee stadium with Fran Tarkenton? Saw Jets a few times and remember when Namath was cooler than Clyde, if that was even possible!!!

I dont' recall much about 1969 mets, but was very much into the 73' team. Went to Met Games a lot but kind of rooted for both Yanks as well. American league and National was very separate then. I did root for the A's in their day. That was a special team!! Swagger and Talented! But it was no NY team!!!

Hornets/Bobcats I go to games, but its not the same. I tried taking an interest again in the Nets (I went to more ABA Games then NBA in 1972-76) since they moved to Brooklyn but its just not there. Nets played in a different league so One could be a fan of Knicks and Nets. Once the merger hit and they sold DR. J, They were dead to me in Jersey. Never set foot in a game over there! I rooted for them in the finals with Kidd as they are a "Ny team", and now in Brooklyn I root for them over all others besides Knicks. Im from Brooklyn. Whaddayagonnado?

holfresh
Member: #1081

9/29/2015  10:02 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/29/2015  11:03 AM
The Mets lost me after they traded Seaver...Tom Terrific was my hero, yeah he was getting old, so what...Loved Matlack(32), Koosman(36), Tug McGraw(45) too...Jerry Grote(15), Wayne Garrett(11?), Jon Milner(28?), Cleon Jones(21), Filex Milan...I remember Pete Rose kicking Bud Harrelson's arse at second base..Loved that team...I ran to the Yankees with open arms when Reggie came to town and never looked back...Altho I was a big time Knick fan, How could you not watch the Nets with Doc...Watched Larry Keenan(poor man's Doc, had the fro too), John Williamson, Billy Paultz...Nets shet the bed trading Doc too...

I used to go to my cousin's house for the weekend... My uncle was a huge Met fan...The image I still have of him is where he is seated in his chair watching the huge TV console on the floor with the Met game on..As I walk through the door and say what's up unc's..He wouldn't even take his eye off the TV...He would just say hi and say he is watching the Mess...
NYK timeout: Jon Papelbon vs. Bryce Harper (Solely for U Met Fans, respectively!)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy