[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Who's better? ilgauskus or dampier.
Author Thread
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
7/14/2004  4:50 PM
The thing is, if we do get Dampier then Sweetney will most likely not be our starting PF since Kurt will not be needed to complete a sign and trade for Dampier. That would be very good because Kurt could then be used in another deal (like a Walker trade) or we could just keep him at starting PF which would still give us a good frontcourt.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
AUTOADVERT
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
7/14/2004  5:05 PM
If Isiah trades for Antoine Walker, the Knicks won't make the playoffs.

That'd be an absolute disaster, I can imagine fist-fights breaking out b/w him and Marbury for the ball. He takes too many threes, would take a ton of time from Sweetney, doesn't defend well, he really does nothing that I'd want. He's a great point forward, too bad the Knicks have an all-star for a point guard. He's talented, but not what the Knicks need.

The Knicks should try to get Ilgauskas and Crawford for a smaller deal. Ilgauskas is the perfect option for this team, he can run the pick and roll with Marbury, he's guaranteed to drop 15 and 8 pretty much every night, he can defend almost anyone in the post, he's a shot blocker, an expiring contract, and he's younger than Dampier.

All the risks with Ilgauskas are voided by his expiring deal, if he's not working out, just deal him. Dampier, if he signs and his production decreases, they'll be stuck with a big man and a big contract.

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 07/14/2004 17:06:15]
#Knickstaps
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
7/14/2004  5:30 PM
Posted by s3231:

The thing is, if we do get Dampier then Sweetney will most likely not be our starting PF since Kurt will not be needed to complete a sign and trade for Dampier. That would be very good because Kurt could then be used in another deal (like a Walker trade) or we could just keep him at starting PF which would still give us a good frontcourt.

that's what i was getting at...if Isiah ends up getting Dampier, then he could turn around & make another deal for Walker using KT...then you would have a Dampier/Walker frontcourt combo...

the other way is to get Z using KT, & then starting Sweetney at PF, which could also work.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
BigSm00th
USA
7/14/2004  5:48 PM
I would do KThomas/Mohammed/Mutumbo for Ilgauskas and Diop in a second, and I think Cleveland would too.

Diop got no minutes for them last year, but I still think he could improve, esp. with the Knicks coaching staff. If he became a mediocre backup C, that'd be great.

Ilgauskas is an expiring contract, so if he doesn't work out or gets injured, you could trade him at the deadline. I think he'll work out, he's basically Kurt Thomas with 6 inches and 40 pounds added to him. He can run the pick-and-roll with Marbury, defend the bigger men in the post, block shots, and rebound well. Plus he's younger than Dampier.

The Knicks frontcourt could have Sweetney and JYD (presuming they get him in the Crawford deal), and Ilgauskas and Diop at C. FA's like Mihm, Fizer, and Keon Clark could also be looked into.
#Knickstaps
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
7/14/2004  5:49 PM
If we are talking better do...I would rather have a combo of Z/Sweetney than Dampier/Walker. My ideal is Dampier/Sweetney. I think Sweetney will develop enough of a post game (he is quick enough, big enough, and strong enough) to do anything Elton Brand (the player he is compared to) can do. Plus with all the scoring wings that we have (be it Steph, Houston, Frankie or Steph, Houston, Crawford (along with TT) our centers and power forwards are going to have to get their points the dirty way...on putbacks and fouls. Z, as big as he is is more of a finesse center who needs plays run for him. Zeke it seems is loading up on alot of quicker streetball type players (he has targeted Walker, Crawford, Dampier. The only player not fitting that streotype is Z). Also, it seems he doesn't really want Steph to run the pick and roll. He seems to want a more open streetball type offense. Z would fit perfectly into a pick and roll offense, not so much a freestyle offense. Walker, I never liked him at all, and I like him less on a team with 2 other perimeter players possibly in the starting 5 (Houston, TT). My ideal lineup would be

Dampier/Swift/Clark/Chan
Sweetney/Baker
Carter/TT/Ariza
Houston/Penny/Hawkins
Marbury/Frankie/Barrett
~You can't run from who you are.~
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/14/2004  6:07 PM
I think Ilgauskus' game will decline less with age- he's like Vlade Divac, who at 35, still is effective.

And, Z can score- how many times did he drop 30 in on the Knicks without trying?

This Knicks team needs O- there were too many times last year that this team couldn't buy a bucket.

Z is better.

But, I leave open that depending upon what other deals are out there for IT, Damp's might be a better fit with whatever he brings in.
BigSm00th
USA
7/14/2004  6:16 PM
"Zeke it seems is loading up on alot of quicker streetball type players (he has targeted Walker, Crawford, Dampier. The only player not fitting that streotype is Z). Also, it seems he doesn't really want Steph to run the pick and roll. He seems to want a more open streetball type offense."

Dampier and Walker aren't quick or streetball type. Walker shoots a lot of bad shots and a low percentage, and doesn't play D, that's why I don't really want the guy, not to mention Sweetney's ready to play 30mpg and with Walker here he won't.

Dampier, with rumors about him for Walker, him for Marion, etc., I just don't think you'll get him Mohammed. Not to mention, he'll be signed for 6 years and only be productive for 2-3 of them, if that many.

I totally disagree with Marbury being in a fast-paced, freestyling offense. He was in that in Phoenix with ideal players at every position and it didn't work out. Marbury's BEST play is the pick-and-roll, since he's such a good passer and can finish, which is why I think Ilgauskas makes a ton of more sense. Marbury rarely pushes the ball and, from what I've seen of him, he likes to play halfcourt basketball and not fast-paced, fast-break bball. Wilkens even said in a press conference he thinks the Knicks' "bread and butter play" is the pick and roll.

"Dampier/Swift/Clark/Chan
Sweetney/Baker
Carter/TT/Ariza
Houston/Penny/Hawkins
Marbury/Frankie/Barrett"

Dampier AND Carter? Swift for the MLE? Maybe they can get Shaq too...
#Knickstaps
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
7/14/2004  10:03 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

"Zeke it seems is loading up on alot of quicker streetball type players (he has targeted Walker, Crawford, Dampier. The only player not fitting that streotype is Z). Also, it seems he doesn't really want Steph to run the pick and roll. He seems to want a more open streetball type offense."

Dampier and Walker aren't quick or streetball type. Walker shoots a lot of bad shots and a low percentage, and doesn't play D, that's why I don't really want the guy, not to mention Sweetney's ready to play 30mpg and with Walker here he won't.

Dampier, with rumors about him for Walker, him for Marion, etc., I just don't think you'll get him Mohammed. Not to mention, he'll be signed for 6 years and only be productive for 2-3 of them, if that many.

I totally disagree with Marbury being in a fast-paced, freestyling offense. He was in that in Phoenix with ideal players at every position and it didn't work out. Marbury's BEST play is the pick-and-roll, since he's such a good passer and can finish, which is why I think Ilgauskas makes a ton of more sense. Marbury rarely pushes the ball and, from what I've seen of him, he likes to play halfcourt basketball and not fast-paced, fast-break bball. Wilkens even said in a press conference he thinks the Knicks' "bread and butter play" is the pick and roll.

"Dampier/Swift/Clark/Chan
Sweetney/Baker
Carter/TT/Ariza
Houston/Penny/Hawkins
Marbury/Frankie/Barrett"

Dampier AND Carter? Swift for the MLE? Maybe they can get Shaq too...

When I say "streetball type players" I mean running players...you are correct....Dampier and Walker aren't open court players...they also weren't IT's top priorities to add to this team.....WHo were we getting back in the Craw deal? JYD? ERob? Not exactly half court players....

I agree...Steph IS a better half court PG, which is it is odd Zeke is targeting players that can run, and by targeting I mean the first guys he wanted to go after...not option B...
~You can't run from who you are.~
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
7/14/2004  10:50 PM
As much as I like Sweetney, I think he will benefit from a year of getting an ample amount of minutes off the bench. I just think a Dampier/Walker combo is much better than a Ilgauskas/Sweetney combo. A healthy Ilgauskas is better than Dampier but Dampier fits this team's needs so well. Plus, Antoine Walker is an all-star PF in the East and he showed last year that he is a team player and will do anything that is asked of him. Antoine is one of the best all-around players in the game and if he doesn't work out he has that huge expiring contract so I definitely think you take a shot at him. Honestly, we could go to the Finals next year with a Dampier/Walker frontcourt. Add in a healthy Houston and a determined Tim Thomas and I honestly think we could make a title run with that lineup if everything goes well. Hopefully, Zeke can get us these two guys.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/14/2004  11:09 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

If Isiah trades for Antoine Walker, the Knicks won't make the playoffs.[Edited by - bigsm00th on 07/14/2004 17:06:15]
Ask Paul Pierce if he misses making the conference finals with Walker
BigSm00th
USA
7/15/2004  1:14 AM
That's a horrible comparison. The East got a lot better last year, that Celtics team was horrible, one of the worst ECF teams of all time. It was Pierce and Walker and a bunch of guys shooting 3s, the Nets, Pacers, Pistons, Heat, Hornets, and possibly Bucks (w/ a healthy TJ Ford) are all better than that Celts team.

Regardless, you can't make a comparison like "Antoine's been to the ECF with Paul Pierce" so he'll make it with the Knicks. If the Knicks do that trade they'll be one of the worst defensive teams in the league, they'd fight over the ball, and if you think of all coaches LENNY WILKENS, the most passive guy on Earth, is going to get Walker to stop shooting 3s you're insane. Unless Isiah's gonna yell from the stands not to shoot he's still gonna launch him, it's Antoine being Antoine.

I'd rather get Ilgauskas for the same package, he at least gives you a fighting chance against Centers in the league. Walker's 6'8", Z is 7'3", stronger, and has just as good of a contract. Plus, he plays good defense and doesn't need the ball to be effective.

Who is playing C for the Knicks when they trdae KT and Mohammed for Walker? I think that's a great question. Ilgauskas scores 30 on the Knicks with ease, he'll drop 50 if they had that lineup. What will it be? Marbury, Houston, TThomas, Sweetney, Walker? When Houston goes down (he still can't TOUCH the rim b/c of knee soreness), you throw Penny in there, you think that's making the playoffs? Sweetney fouls out of SL games, in the NBA he'll be out 60% of the games b/c of fouls. Who comes in then, Vin Baker, who just had heart surgery?

Ilgauskas and/or Crawford makes a LOT more sense than Antoine Walker.

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 07/15/2004 01:15:18]
#Knickstaps
Who's better? ilgauskus or dampier.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy