[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks next season

Author Poll
SKY
Member: #687
USA
There are many rumors going around about potential NYK trades, Sign & Trades, and FA acquisition. The latest reports say that the Crawford deal may be dead, and that Isiah is going after other players like Dampier, Ilgauskas, and Walker. Now, what is the best (and realistic) move the Knicks should make this off-season and why is that the best option over others?
S& T for lightening quick combo guard in Jamal Crawford (6'5). Reportedly to be signed at around $70mil/7yrs.
Instead of the above S&T for Crawford, etc, just offer him a full MLE and see what happens.
A big Center with inside scoring, rebound, and defense in Dampier (6'11). Will he be as effective as he was last season?
True inside scoring threat and shot-blocking Center in Ilgauskas (7'2) Ending contract @ 14 mil. Oft injured.
Versatile Forward who can post-up and score from the primeter in Walker (6'9) No defense and shoots too many 3s.
Offer the full MLE to Stromile Swift
Go after other players such as Mimh, etc.
No need to make trades unless we can improve our cap situation
View Results

Author Thread
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
7/14/2004  12:15 PM
at this point, it would be stupid to overpay for Crawford when the Knicks are in a position of strength here...

i say if Crawford won't agree to lowering his salary demands, & if the Bulls don't budge on their unwillingness to take back Moochie in that 9 player swap, then i would just offer JC the full MLE & pursue other sign & trades for either Ilgauskas or Dampier & maybe an Antoine Walker using the rest of their trading chips.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
AUTOADVERT
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/14/2004  12:28 PM
Posted by TMS:

at this point, it would be stupid to overpay for Crawford when the Knicks are in a position of strength here...

i say if Crawford won't agree to lowering his salary demands, & if the Bulls don't budge on their unwillingness to take back Moochie in that 9 player swap, then i would just offer JC the full MLE & pursue other sign & trades for either Ilgauskas or Dampier & maybe an Antoine Walker using the rest of their trading chips.

I agree. If JC doesn't take the offer its not the end of the world for us. Better concentrate in bringing Big Z or Dampier to NY. Im not a Walker fan, but he would be an ending contract so it has its positives too. I'd still concentrate on bringing a Center.
Knicks_Fan
SKY
Alba Posts: 0
USA
7/14/2004  12:47 PM
I agree with that too.

But would you prefer to get Dampier (who is demanding a long & large contract despite his age) or Ilgauskas who is in his last yr of his 14 mil contact?

I say offer the full MLE to Craford and go after Ilgauskas. I don't want to see 35 yr old Dampier in NYK unform commaning a huge salary.
TMS
USA
7/14/2004  12:55 PM
in terms of who i want as a player, i think Dampier would be a better fit, but i think Ilgauskas gives Isiah so many more options at the trading deadline w/his expiring contract & his status as a top bigman in the league...

i would only be OK w/Dampier now if you can get him for a reasonable contract...not the 7 year, $70 mil+ contract that is being rumored...4-5 years at maximum.

it might be better to get Z & Walker w/both their expiring deals...you could do ALOT w/those 2 chips come the trade deadline & set your team up well for the future by getting young talent or high draft picks.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
SKY
Alba Posts: 0
USA
7/14/2004  1:02 PM
Posted by TMS:

it might be better to get Z & Walker w/both their expiring deals...you could do ALOT w/those 2 chips come the trade deadline & set your team up well for the future by getting young talent or high draft picks.

Yes, that's what I want to see! Reloading with quality youth and draft picks.
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/14/2004  1:17 PM
Acquiring both Big Z and Walker seems really imposible. I think the centerpieces in the deals for both players would be Kurt Thomas and the expiring contracts. I can see the Knicks getting one of the two players, but both> Don't think so. It would be perfect if we want to be competitive and rebuild after next season, but I think Isiah's plan is to wait until Houston's contract becomes an expiring one so he can completely change the team.

If Isiah gets Ilgauskas, I wonder if he would just let him walk or if he offers him a contract smaller. If we get him and trade him in the deadline, something that might hurt our playoff performance, it would have to be for someone that becomes an expiring contract nest season, along with TT and Penny. If you get a young talent on the rise with that, that's another story.
Knicks_Fan
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
7/14/2004  1:22 PM
I offer Jamal the full MLE with an optout after 3 years, so we can have him....I also would try to get cute ( as in maybe a clause in the contract including endorsement deals or if he averages 35-40 mins. per game he gets a bonus of a couple mil--this would scare off the Bulls or a contact garaunteeing a certain amount of minutes....something he may overlook if on the Knicks but he would hold the Bulls to....

There is no way I take back ERob and JYD withough giving up Moochie. I think IT is absolutely right. If we had no SG, absolutely needed this kid, that is one thing...we still have Allan, we have a bunch of deals we can make that are a little more financially beneficial (with some of the guys from the Crawford trade being moved for potential FA's like Walker or Z....)

I am so happy Zeke told the Bulls to take a hike...now the Bulls don't know what to do....As much as people say Paxson is in the drivers seat, I think Zeke has an inordinate amopunt of leverage also...Now the Bulls may lose Craw for nothing or they may have to keep him after planning on losing him. We have options, the Bulls don't bottom line. They already alienated and humiliated this player...
~You can't run from who you are.~
TMS
USA
7/14/2004  1:31 PM
Posted by Knicksfan:

Acquiring both Big Z and Walker seems really imposible. I think the centerpieces in the deals for both players would be Kurt Thomas and the expiring contracts. I can see the Knicks getting one of the two players, but both> Don't think so. It would be perfect if we want to be competitive and rebuild after next season, but I think Isiah's plan is to wait until Houston's contract becomes an expiring one so he can completely change the team.

1 possibility (not saying it's likely, but it's a possibility) is for a 3rd team to get involved who is looking to unload a big contract...then the Knicks' ending contracts become more valuable, & if you could manage to land Walker in a multiple team deal w/o giving up KT, then i think you could make both these trades happen.

the other option is to trade Tim Thomas, if the Mavs, Cavs or a 3rd team would be interested in him.
Knicks next season

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy