ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
7/14/2004  7:50 AM
Oh boy.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/27303.htm

HOUSTON: MY KNEES STILL SORE

By MARC BERMAN
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 14, 2004 -- Sharing minutes with Jamal Crawford is the least of Allan Houston's worries.
In his first public remarks since the season ended with him sidelined, the Knick forward admitted yesterday that, 21/2 months later, his rehabbing knees aren't fully sound, and he's unable to go "all out" without discomfort.

Houston indicated that, if training camp began today, he wouldn't be ready — a revelation that puts more pressure on Knick president Isiah Thomas to seal the deal for Crawford in a stalled sign-and-trade with the Bulls.

The Post reported Sunday that Thomas refused to include in the package Dikembe Mutombo, who is in the final year of his contract and a marketable commodity in other deals, and substituted Moochie Norris. It's created a snag that still existed yesterday, when there was no indication the two sides spoke.

Crawford is eligible to sign an offer sheet beginning today but is not willing to ink for the maximum mid-level exception of six years, $38 million the Knicks can offer outright. In a sign-and-trade, the Knicks are ready to give Crawford seven years, $55 million.

The poker game is on between the Knicks and Bulls, with a Knick official saying they will "wait" it out. The Bulls contend they won't budge because of Norris' contract.

Houston, who missed 32 regular-season games and the first-round Nets' sweep with arthritic knees, said he expects to be ready by late September's training camp, but his words lacked definitiveness.

"My goal is to be going all-out by next month," Houston said after speaking to kids at the Knicks' summer camp at Pace. "I think the path I'm going, I think it's realistic. I've done everything in rehab. My goal is to be out if we had started practicing [in August]. I can't predict the future. If I had to guess, I think I'll be ready by September."

Houston said he still needs "more strength" in the left knee that wore down due to compensation from microfracture surgery last summer on his right knee.

"I can't go out there and do it yet," Houston said. "Some days it feels really good. Some days I have to let it rest. "

Adding Crawford, a combo guard, would be ample insurance for Houston, but also allows Stephon Marbury more breathers. Chicago's Jerome Williams, Eddie Robinson and Chris Jeffries would be involved in one scenario, with Frank Williams, Othella Harrington, Shandon Anderson and Cezary Trybanski going back.

"I suspect what Isiah sees is a nice three-guard rotation for us," Houston said. "Bottom line is, you got to have depth to win championships, guys who can stay fresh."
AUTOADVERT
Knees still aching...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy