[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

I Trust You Are All Rooting For Coco Vandeweghe
Author Thread
FireWoodson
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5899

8/31/2015  7:38 PM
The Vandeweghe name is as iconic to the New York Knicks as the names Clyde, Holtzman, McGuire, Reed, Debusschere, Melo, and David Lee. When you hear those names your Knick-loving heart just swells with pride. Well Coco Vandeweghe is a rising tennis player and everyone here should root for her in the US Open. If you need reasons, here's a few:

A) her family is a part of Knicks royalty
B) recently she blasted Melo in the press saying that he has "no heart." That's from a young girl just starting out her sporting career. Good for her. She's got guts. No standard corporate boring jock talk from her.
C) she's a pretty good tennis player
D) she's historic: she's the first tennis player in history to do an "in game" TV interview. Between sets today she talked with Pam Shriver of ESPN.

After last season, Knick fans need a winner to root for. She won her first match today, root for her in her next match.

AUTOADVERT
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/31/2015  9:28 PM

I'd hit it

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree

8/31/2015  9:29 PM
Call me ignorant but why is Vandeweghe royalty?
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
8/31/2015  9:52 PM
EnySpree wrote:Call me ignorant but why is Vandeweghe royalty?

Ernie Vandeweghe

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

8/31/2015  9:56 PM
EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
FireWoodson
Member: #5899

8/31/2015  10:25 PM
to be America’s next tennis star.

That may be a 100% certainty.

She just broke onto the scene last year, and she is already a feared force. Today she beat the holy hell out of highly ranked American Sloan Stephens. Was like a grown up playing a three year old. And guess what Johnny Mac and the rest of the ESPN crew just said? You all may know that Serena is going for the historic Grand Slam in this tournament, right? Well, the ESPN tennis analysts said today that the one player that could give her the most trouble is unranked Coco Vandeweghe. You watch this girl play...she's got game, she's got attitude, she's got Knick royalty in her veins. She can definitely become the world's next big thing in tennis.

Last June when she said that Carmelo "is a bit soft...I think he is soft. I don't think he has a killer instinct," man, I just knew she was unlike most athletes out there. First she's commenting on someone not even in her sport. Second...she's just a kid commenting on a superstar. Guts. That's why she is soon becoming the one to fear in women's tennis. When Serena hangs it up, our Knick royalty will rule the tennis world. Hey, if we can't rule the NBA, I'll be happy with ruling women's tennis.

Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
8/31/2015  10:53 PM
NYKBocker wrote:

Ernie Vandeweghe

And how exactly is he considered royalty. To me, Ernie Grunfeld should be held to a higher standard and he's not Knicks royalty.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/31/2015  11:11 PM
Ernest Maurice "Ernie" Vandeweghe Jr. (September 12, 1928 – November 8, 2014) was an United States Air Force veteran and professional basketball player. He was best known for playing for the New York Knicks of the NBA and for the athletic successes of his family. He and his wife Colleen Kay Hutchins (Miss America for 1952)[1] were the parents of former NBA All-Star (and former New Jersey Nets coach) Kiki Vandeweghe and grandfather of tennis professional Coco Vandeweghe.

In his youth, Vandeweghe played football, basketball and baseball for Oceanside High School on Long Island where he was also a member of the Omega Gamma Delta Fraternity. A 6'3" guard, Vandeweghe played collegiately for the Colgate University Raiders, where he was an All-American. He was drafted by the Knicks in the 1949 BAA Draft, and played in the NBA for six seasons.[citation needed]

After retiring from the NBA in 1956, Vandeweghe served as a physician for the Air Force; while stationed overseas in Germany. Besides Kiki, he had three other children who were world-class athletes: daughter Tauna won a U.S. national swimming championship in the backstroke (and competed in the 1976 Summer Olympics), son Bruk medalled in beach volleyball in the 1994 Goodwill Games, and daughter Heather was captain of the U.S. national women's polo team and followed in her father's footsteps through medical school to become a physician.[citation needed]

Vandeweghe served as chairman of the President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports, and served on the Olympic Sports Commission under President Gerald Ford, where he assisted with development of two key pieces of sports legislation – Title IX and the 1976 Amateur Athletic Act. He has also been a senior vice president with Focus Partners LLC, a New York-based financial services firm, and a consultant with the United States Golf and Fitness Association. He occasionally provided commentary for several sports publications. He died at the age of 86 on November 8, 2014.[2]

EnySpree

9/1/2015  7:05 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:

Ernie Vandeweghe

And how exactly is he considered royalty. To me, Ernie Grunfeld should be held to a higher standard and he's not Knicks royalty.

I know he used to play for the Knicks in its beginning years but Royalty? I remember it was cool when Kiki got here...but Royalty? Nah

ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
9/1/2015  9:46 AM
Absolutely. Love people that tell the truth and don't sugarcoat or dik ride.

"I just feel that Carmelo, he is a bit soft," she said. "And now, this is just my own personal opinion, I think he is soft. I don't think he has a killer instinct in his eyes, at least this last year. And I also think he needs people around him that have that killer instinct, because then that brings it out of you. And with him taking such a high salary, I think that kind of handcuffs the Knicks in being able to get those types of players that are getting big contracts. There's no way around that."
Nalod
USA
9/1/2015  10:17 AM
EnySpree wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:

Ernie Vandeweghe

I know he used to play for the Knicks in its beginning years but Royalty? I remember it was cool when Kiki got here...but Royalty? Nah

Local boy becomes all American, plays for knicks in its beginning and goes on to a successful life. Academic and athletic achievement.
CoCo on the big stage at US open with local roots. Maybe the Vandeweghe family is NY royalty with knick roots.

Dagger
Member: #4184

9/1/2015  10:20 AM
EnySpree wrote:

I'd hit it

I'm in love with the "Coco"

EnySpree

9/1/2015  2:52 PM
Nalod wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:

Ernie Vandeweghe

Local boy becomes all American, plays for knicks in its beginning and goes on to a successful life. Academic and athletic achievement.
CoCo on the big stage at US open with local roots. Maybe the Vandeweghe family is NY royalty with knick roots.

Royalty though? That's a bit ridiculous.

I think it's cool that 3 people from that family in a span of 60 something years managed to play pro sports other than that nothing much to see.

Nalod
USA
9/1/2015  4:47 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/1/2015  4:48 PM
EnySpree wrote:
Nalod wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:

Ernie Vandeweghe

I think it's cool that 3 people from that family in a span of 60 something years managed to play pro sports other than that nothing much to see.

Or be an Olympian? Damn, Dr Ernie like an original Knick, its all good.

Shitty as this franchise has been for the majority of its existence, dude is royalty compared to a lot of guys that have passed thru.

EnySpree

9/1/2015  4:55 PM
Nalod wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
Nalod wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:

Ernie Vandeweghe

Shitty as this franchise has been for the majority of its existence, dude is royalty compared to a lot of guys that have passed thru.

Still not a good enough reason to call that family name royalty.

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
9/1/2015  4:58 PM
EnySpree wrote:
Nalod wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
Nalod wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:

Ernie Vandeweghe

All is relative.
In small pond even lobster is a fish.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
9/1/2015  4:58 PM
EnySpree wrote:
Nalod wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
Nalod wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:

Ernie Vandeweghe

All is relative.
In small pond even lobster is a fish.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
doomed
Member: #1078
USA
9/1/2015  10:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/1/2015  10:39 PM
That's not only an ill-informed opinion of Melo it's an awful one. Melo is soft? Quite an indictment.

So basically any player that doesn't win an NBA title is soft? Because that's pretty much all Melo has yet to accomplish.

Fans can be very dumb. Saying Melo is soft is just lazy and untrue. She should only speak her mind when she doesn't have something stupid to say.

dk7th
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4228
USA
9/2/2015  2:17 AM
doomed wrote:That's not only an ill-informed opinion of Melo it's an awful one. Melo is soft? Quite an indictment.

So basically any player that doesn't win an NBA title is soft? Because that's pretty much all Melo has yet to accomplish.

Fans can be very dumb. Saying Melo is soft is just lazy and untrue. She should only speak her mind when she doesn't have something stupid to say.

hear hear!!

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
EnySpree

9/2/2015  8:25 AM
dk7th wrote:
doomed wrote:That's not only an ill-informed opinion of Melo it's an awful one. Melo is soft? Quite an indictment.

hear hear!!

She wants to talk soft....

I Trust You Are All Rooting For Coco Vandeweghe

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy