[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

knicks don't have one trouble maker
Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/29/2015  9:00 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
EnySpree wrote:we've definitely gotten rid of guys that have agendas. All the guys we have now all expressed a desire to succeed on the court. They ate people that are family oriented and hard workers.

I'm very excited.

Phil even set the salaries up in such a way that we can move guys very easily.

When Melo continued to play to make sure he played in the All Star game for his branding, doing so because he knew he had that long term Knicks deal he signed to fall back on, plus his No Trade Clause, did that fit

A) The Knicks "agenda" for winning and it's long term future?

or

B) Melo's own personal agenda?

Also, Melo has a No Trade Clause. Phil Jackson has tried to trade Calderon from the time he traded for him, no one wants him. No one. Of the major free agent signings, Derrick Williams and Aaron Affalo have team options for next year. If Affalo outplays his contract, the Knicks lose a cost controlled wing. Or if he gets hurt, he cashes in and rehabs on the Knicks time and dime. I don't care how much the cap goes up in the future, no team is going to trade for Derrick Williams and his ability to inflict a 5 million cap hit on their team next season unless he's part of a bigger trade scenario needing a salary match.

Giving Affalo a player option is one thing ( given the valuation of wings in the modern NBA marketplace)

Giving one to Derrick Williams really makes no sense at all.

Robin Lopez and O'Quinn can be useful to another team. But moving them guts the Knicks ( who are already thin on the perimeter) and starts them at Square 1 at the pivot position next year, without said draft pick to bank on.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion and on and on and on and politically correct blurb and so forth, but here's what I see.

IF General Grant and/or Zinger break out and fans are cheering MVP for them and they are getting all the press love and companies start to get interested in them and they do the entire "Mark Sanchez Tour Of New York" thing as young players on a team in a giant media market, do you think Melo at all will be pleased? Or will he do as he always has - sulk, coach kill, freeze out other players and use his media cronies to lay down passive aggressive attacks.

Entering his 13th season, Melo has consistently, over the course of his career and over 30K minutes played, simply not cared about defense. When he doesn't care/doesn't try/worries about his branding and another NBA player torches him like a walking turnstile on defense, and then Fisher doesn't bench him, that will continue to do what it always does - sap morale from the team.

Do I hope Zinger and Grant pan out? Yes. Do I hope that Hernangomez guy develops and pans out in the future? Yes.

Do I hope Affalo and Lopez pan out to their expected baselines? Yes

As a pure shot in the dark, do I hope Derrick Williams finds some kind of useful rotation niche and helps this team? Yes ( but it probably won't happen)

But what I won't do is hope for things that time and pressure have established otherwise.

This was a 17 win team last year, with real systematic and administrative problems all along the organization. ( bad owner, first year coach, controversial offense, geriatric rookie team president, etc) Can it be better? Sure, but there was nowhere to go but up from last year.

You can make lemonade out of lemons, you can't however make a five course gourmet meal out of them overnight.

It's not "optimism" if it denies any type of "pragmatism" Then again, some of you just don't care. But then again, we all have a right to an opinion.

I really don't understand what you are trying to say. Your posts are too long and aren't saying anything.

Melo playing in the all star game and in Europe is irrelevant to this post. You're trying to tie it to a player having an agenda and it doesn't make sense.

You ate trying to make a point about the player options of 2 players, but I don't understand why. Whatever you ate trying to say, the players are still moveable. Calderón can't be moved now but maybe he could later on during the season or next off season when he's an expiring.

No one said anything about record or adding the guys are going to be world beaters. I am simply saying I'm excited because of the kind of group we have. No one is talking about wins or anything like that.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
8/30/2015  9:06 AM
This is a great thread that should pick up steam and invite more threads like this one.

We are currently sitting in a transitional phase. As Eny said, no more iso knuckle heads not willing or don't know how to run the triangle or fit into our new system.

No more negativity from the past.....the past is over. Time to turn the chapter and start a new story.

The Zen and the Zinger

They really need each other to become successful. Can't wait to see this new chapter! And sleepers like Grant and DWill are hungry to prove their worth. These guys are long, athletic, fast and will push this young athletic movement as far as Zen and fisher allows them.

Can't wait to start the season.....

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

8/30/2015  9:11 AM
blkexec wrote:This is a great thread that should pick up steam and invite more threads like this one.

We are currently sitting in a transitional phase. As Eny said, no more iso knuckle heads not willing or don't know how to run the triangle or fit into our new system.

No more negativity from the past.....the past is over. Time to turn the chapter and start a new story.

The Zen and the Zinger

They really need each other to become successful. Can't wait to see this new chapter! And sleepers like Grant and DWill are hungry to prove their worth. These guys are long, athletic, fast and will push this young athletic movement as far as Zen and fisher allows them.

i agree its a transition year and im excited to see the younger guys like grant and KP. Its still a long way to go before i can say things are good but im just looking for progress this year
EnySpree

8/30/2015  9:24 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
blkexec wrote:This is a great thread that should pick up steam and invite more threads like this one.

The Zen and the Zinger

i agree its a transition year and im excited to see the younger guys like grant and KP. Its still a long way to go before i can say things are good but im just looking for progress this year

That's all you ask as a fan. Progress... you can deal with transition if your franchise is actively teeing to improve the product. I could really get into following a group like this. I like what Phil is trying to implement. It's all on Fisher because I feel the guys around are all coachable/team players.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
StarksEwing1

8/30/2015  9:39 AM
EnySpree wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

The Zen and the Zinger

That's all you ask as a fan. Progress... you can deal with transition if your franchise is actively teeing to improve the product. I could really get into following a group like this. I like what Phil is trying to implement. It's all on Fisher because I feel the guys around are all coachable/team players.

agreed. My biggest wants this year are progress in wins even 35 wins would be a good step. Obviously our rookies showing progress even through growing pains. Lastly is for more draft picks because its important for rebuilding a good team
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

8/30/2015  12:43 PM
EnySpree wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

The Zen and the Zinger

I'm encouraged with the lineup Phil is putting on the floor this year.

I usually try to stay away from absolutes, like the word "all."

There are still a number of variables to consider, but I think that if this team is healthy and in plays up to my expectations, we will have a strong finish to the season.

I like the group of players we have on paper, but they have never been on the court as a team, so I can't really be sure of what we have yet.

I'm simply not willing to put everything on Fisher's shoulders at this point.

I think both Phil and Fisher would have preferred a lineup already in tune with our offensive philosophy, but, once again, we are going to have a group not only learning to play together, but one that is learning a new system on the offensive end of the court.

I would have to wait before making any comments on Fisher at this time.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
TeamBall
Member: #4386

8/30/2015  12:51 PM

The Zen and the Zinger

+1 just have to (hopefully) enjoy the ride
Knicksfan: Hypocrite league that fines players after the game for flopping but in the game and with obvious flopping they call the fouls.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
8/30/2015  1:06 PM
In the NBA if you have reasonably representative talent it's not hard to be competitive. If you have smart and high character talent it should be possible to be in the mix for a playoff spot. We have capable players who are hard workers and known to be reliable role players. That should make a big difference.

The 54 win team was similarly built with vets who had good reps for hard work but they were too old. This time the vets are mostly in their prime. It should help a great deal.

StarksEwing1

8/30/2015  1:12 PM
nixluva wrote:In the NBA if you have reasonably representative talent it's not hard to be competitive. If you have smart and high character talent it should be possible to be in the mix for a playoff spot. We have capable players who are hard workers and known to be reliable role players. That should make a big difference.

The 54 win team was similarly built with vets who had good reps for hard work but they were too old. This time the vets are mostly in their prime. It should help a great deal.

a lot of things have to go right. Even the 54 win team had everything go right and everyone had career years. We need to take it on year at a time. In 2 years i expect to be a playoff team but next year will be good progress
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/30/2015  1:16 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:In the NBA if you have reasonably representative talent it's not hard to be competitive. If you have smart and high character talent it should be possible to be in the mix for a playoff spot. We have capable players who are hard workers and known to be reliable role players. That should make a big difference.

a lot of things have to go right. Even the 54 win team had everything go right and everyone had career years. We need to take it on year at a time. In 2 years i expect to be a playoff team but next year will be good progress
They had a lot of things go right but they also had a lot of things go wrong. They lost Sheed, KT, and Camby. Kidd was done by the end of the regular season. Tyson had some weight losing illness in April and lost his heart, and Amare wasn't able to play for almost the entire season. Also, Brewer came back early from knee surgery and looked great at the 3 for about a month and then broke down. I know there is more.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
StarksEwing1

8/30/2015  1:18 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

They had a lot of things go right but they also had a lot of things go wrong. They lost Sheed, KT, and Camby. Kidd was done by the end of the regular season. Tyson had some weight losing illness in April and lost his heart, and Amare wasn't able to play for almost the entire season. Also, Brewer came back early from knee surgery and looked great at the 3 for about a month and then broke down. I know there is more.
maybe but we played above our heads a little bit. And obviously the playoffs we ran into a better team
nixluva
USA
8/30/2015  2:02 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

maybe but we played above our heads a little bit. And obviously the playoffs we ran into a better team

IMO this team may not have the ability to get as hot as the 54 win team but it's a solid roster that should make substantial gains over last year. Everything went wrong last year. Not everything has to go right for this team to be competitive. We're talking being in the middle of the pack.

This team has to stay within reach of a playoff spot which isn't as hard as some are making it out to be. It took an obscene level of failure to put the Knicks out of the playoff picture last year.
This is not the same roster as last year. The majority of the top of the rotation is new. That may cause a slower start but it shouldn't be so bad that they end up out of the mix for a playoff spot.

StarksEwing1

8/30/2015  2:07 PM
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

IMO this team may not have the ability to get as hot as the 54 win team but it's a solid roster that should make substantial gains over last year. Everything went wrong last year. Not everything has to go right for this team to be competitive. We're talking being in the middle of the pack.

This team has to stay within reach of a playoff spot which isn't as hard as some are making it out to be. It took an obscene level of failure to put the Knicks out of the playoff picture last year.
This is not the same roster as last year. The majority of the top of the rotation is new. That may cause a slower start but it shouldn't be so bad that they end up out of the mix for a playoff spot.

i think we can compete for the 8th spot but this team is still probably 2 years away. I think we still need to add another top player in order to take the next step
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/30/2015  2:34 PM
There is no doubt that the Knicks have been professionally put back together. p J was diligent in who they got rid of and why who they kept/acquired and why. Now part 2 to see what works and what does not when it counts and go from there. overall I'm pleased with how Phil has done things. I can think of a couple of moves I would've done differently but that arm chair qb stuff.
RIP Crushalot😞
EnySpree

8/30/2015  2:57 PM
BRIGGS wrote:There is no doubt that the Knicks have been professionally put back together. p J was diligent in who they got rid of and why who they kept/acquired and why. Now part 2 to see what works and what does not when it counts and go from there. overall I'm pleased with how Phil has done things. I can think of a couple of moves I would've done differently but that arm chair qb stuff.

Nitpicking about who Phil could or should have gotten is espn bull****. Everyone had a favorite player or a guy they would have wanted to sign.

I love being in a wait and see mode. I love waiting to see what guys will stick going forward. I love the professional approach. I love the foresight into the future.

It's great to not be so wrapped up in negativity. It's a shame that some posters are still trying to hold on to that. We should be rallying the troops. Phase 2 is in full effect

StarksEwing1

8/30/2015  3:10 PM
EnySpree wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:There is no doubt that the Knicks have been professionally put back together. p J was diligent in who they got rid of and why who they kept/acquired and why. Now part 2 to see what works and what does not when it counts and go from there. overall I'm pleased with how Phil has done things. I can think of a couple of moves I would've done differently but that arm chair qb stuff.

Nitpicking about who Phil could or should have gotten is espn bull****. Everyone had a favorite player or a guy they would have wanted to sign.

I love being in a wait and see mode. I love waiting to see what guys will stick going forward. I love the professional approach. I love the foresight into the future.

It's great to not be so wrapped up in negativity. It's a shame that some posters are still trying to hold on to that. We should be rallying the troops. Phase 2 is in full effect

thats not fair dude. 99 percent of fans are happy with the offseason. I respect fans who love the knicks but arent afraid to be honest even if it isnt 150 percent positive
nixluva
USA
8/30/2015  3:51 PM
No one is going overboard. I know I believe this team can compete for a playoff spot which isn't saying that much in reality. We're saying the team should be able to reach mediocrity. It's within range for this team to be middle of the pack. That isn't putting too much of an expectation on this team IMO.
knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
8/30/2015  3:51 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

thats not fair dude. 99 percent of fans are happy with the offseason. I respect fans who love the knicks but arent afraid to be honest even if it isnt 150 percent positive

Being in wait and see mode is being cowardly as a fan. You're supposed to be optimistic and critical at the same time. I would love for this squad to make the playoffs, but it has too many components of players who either didnt make the playoffs on their previous teams or came off of down seasons themselves. I do think the roster is better than last years, and I do think this group is competent enough to play competitive basketball. But I dont see playoffs, as you need multiple all-star "caliber" players to qualify for that.
Honestly I'll be keenly watching the journey of Prozingis, the rest is merely bonus material.
StarksEwing1

8/30/2015  3:53 PM
nixluva wrote:No one is going overboard. I know I believe this team can compete for a playoff spot which isn't saying that much in reality. We're saying the team should be able to reach mediocrity. It's within range for this team to be middle of the pack. That isn't putting too much of an expectation on this team IMO.
last i checked everyone is in agreement that 35 wins is likely. Thats middle of the pack but probably just missing playoffs
EnySpree

8/30/2015  4:02 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

I'm talking about guys that keep talking about Melo and trying find a reason to bash Phil for what they thought he should have been able to do.

"Aren't afraid to be honest"?

That annoys me because we're on the Internet. Guys here shoot from the hip all say including myself. I'm all for criticism when it calls for it, but we literally have nothing to complain about right now. If something is worth crying about I'll be the first one... For one my eyes are on Fisher. It's all about training camp and his roster management

knicks don't have one trouble maker

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy