Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
8/31/2015  12:48 PM
nixluva wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
nixluva wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
nixluva wrote:I agree that there's a chance for DWill to get his act together here in NY. This is a very defined system and his role will be clearer than it's ever been so far in his career. He's been in some awful situations to start his career. Wasn't developed properly. As a forward in this offense what he's likely to be asked to do should be pretty easy to define.

In the video below you see the Lakers running the Triangle with very little dribbling. Ball and Player movement does all the work. DWill is great at moving without the ball and finishing. He should be able to learn the cuts and find the open space on the floor just as he's done in the past but now it's actually defined in the offense and not just him making it up and getting lucky if his teammates see him.

Watch the cuts Odom, Artest and Barnes make and you can get a clear picture of what DWill will be asked to do. In addition to some perimeter looks for 3 and some flashing to the elbow for short jumpers.

Thank you for posting this. People take don't know wtf they are talking about when they trash the triangle. So many different looks. It's a matter of everyone getting familiar. It's beautiful to watch

Yeah it's amazing how much more there is to this style of play when everyone on the floor is familiar and knows how to setup the defense and use deception to fool the defense into thinking they know what you're gonna do and then BANG! You hit a cutting player right behind the D. They didn't have to have any breakdown dribble going on. Just moving, watching, anticipating and passing. It's all fluid too. These aren't plays as much as it's just them playing with the same mind on what they can do to the defense.

The team has to develop great chemistry by knowing the system and how to exploit the defense. You have to know the cuts like it's second nature and the passer already knows what is gonna happen and the guys without the ball know where the ball is gonna go. The longer you stay in this system the better you get at working together and the faster you get at moving and passing.

There's always an option. That's the beauty in it. Just using imagination you can see how certain guys will fit. I can't wait to see it evolve

It takes a lot of practice, and guys need to be real focus. Williams is not a high IQ player, he's going to need time, just like the rest of his mates. You right NIX, theres many angles to run the triangle, but what i saw from the knicks/fishers version, is the same damn angle ever time, it became so predictable that a turnover was almost a given. Opposing teams would play the passing lane, knew where the ball would swing, it was a disaster, and thats putting it mildly.

For williams, fisher needs to capitalize on his strengths, he's not a good passer, ball handler or post up player, so please don't think you can use him like pipen, or odom.

His strengths are Back door cuts, trailing plays, finishing around the rim, and can knock down an open 3 every now and then. He should always be cutting to the basket off a down screen, and pray that he takes to the basket as oppose to settling for a 15 foot jumper like every player we had last season.

It's always about the players. When we added Shved things were no longer so predictable. If a player only does the exact same basic actions it is predictable. That's not how the Triangle works. Remember the Triangle isn't about specific plays. It's a framework that gives the players the freedom to be creative but in an organized and uniform way so that everyone can be on the same page.

It's the players that have to make the on court decisions. They have to use deception to make the defense think they're going one way when the play is in the other direction. That's why I posted the video. Fish, Rambis n Cleamons aren't teaching it wrong!!! They know everything there is to know about the system. Let's not forget they were there with the Lakers when this video was made.

Dude by the time shved came here, there was little to no triangle being run, they started using more PnR which benefited a little, but by no means did it look good, not even close.

I heard D wil saying the triangle was easy because he had grew up watching the lakers. he's going to be in for a rude awaking

ES
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/31/2015  1:16 PM
This is the kind of signing I was hoping for, a guy that phil thinks can benefit from being in the system!

Im not disappointed as WE HAVE NOT PLAYED A GAME so why should we?
SAS has taken struggling players, or those who are avg. and when ingrained in the culture and system blossomed!
That's what we can hope for. Evidence is post script. Aldridge went to SAS for a reason.

Phil won with his stars but if you look at the rosters you have to realize the role players at the time they came to Bulls/Lakers were not always big names or high priced talent in prime. Everyone does their part Melo has the potential to look really good in the next two seasons.

nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
8/31/2015  1:28 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
nixluva wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
nixluva wrote:I agree that there's a chance for DWill to get his act together here in NY. This is a very defined system and his role will be clearer than it's ever been so far in his career. He's been in some awful situations to start his career. Wasn't developed properly. As a forward in this offense what he's likely to be asked to do should be pretty easy to define.

In the video below you see the Lakers running the Triangle with very little dribbling. Ball and Player movement does all the work. DWill is great at moving without the ball and finishing. He should be able to learn the cuts and find the open space on the floor just as he's done in the past but now it's actually defined in the offense and not just him making it up and getting lucky if his teammates see him.

Watch the cuts Odom, Artest and Barnes make and you can get a clear picture of what DWill will be asked to do. In addition to some perimeter looks for 3 and some flashing to the elbow for short jumpers.

Thank you for posting this. People take don't know wtf they are talking about when they trash the triangle. So many different looks. It's a matter of everyone getting familiar. It's beautiful to watch

Yeah it's amazing how much more there is to this style of play when everyone on the floor is familiar and knows how to setup the defense and use deception to fool the defense into thinking they know what you're gonna do and then BANG! You hit a cutting player right behind the D. They didn't have to have any breakdown dribble going on. Just moving, watching, anticipating and passing. It's all fluid too. These aren't plays as much as it's just them playing with the same mind on what they can do to the defense.

The team has to develop great chemistry by knowing the system and how to exploit the defense. You have to know the cuts like it's second nature and the passer already knows what is gonna happen and the guys without the ball know where the ball is gonna go. The longer you stay in this system the better you get at working together and the faster you get at moving and passing.

There's always an option. That's the beauty in it. Just using imagination you can see how certain guys will fit. I can't wait to see it evolve

It takes a lot of practice, and guys need to be real focus. Williams is not a high IQ player, he's going to need time, just like the rest of his mates. You right NIX, theres many angles to run the triangle, but what i saw from the knicks/fishers version, is the same damn angle ever time, it became so predictable that a turnover was almost a given. Opposing teams would play the passing lane, knew where the ball would swing, it was a disaster, and thats putting it mildly.

For williams, fisher needs to capitalize on his strengths, he's not a good passer, ball handler or post up player, so please don't think you can use him like pipen, or odom.

His strengths are Back door cuts, trailing plays, finishing around the rim, and can knock down an open 3 every now and then. He should always be cutting to the basket off a down screen, and pray that he takes to the basket as oppose to settling for a 15 foot jumper like every player we had last season.

It's always about the players. When we added Shved things were no longer so predictable. If a player only does the exact same basic actions it is predictable. That's not how the Triangle works. Remember the Triangle isn't about specific plays. It's a framework that gives the players the freedom to be creative but in an organized and uniform way so that everyone can be on the same page.

It's the players that have to make the on court decisions. They have to use deception to make the defense think they're going one way when the play is in the other direction. That's why I posted the video. Fish, Rambis n Cleamons aren't teaching it wrong!!! They know everything there is to know about the system. Let's not forget they were there with the Lakers when this video was made.

Dude by the time shved came here, there was little to no triangle being run, they started using more PnR which benefited a little, but by no means did it look good, not even close.

I heard D wil saying the triangle was easy because he had grew up watching the lakers. he's going to be in for a rude awaking

You're totally missing the point. The Knicks were still running the Triangle and I can prove it but I don't have to. You're overstating the case of what was going on and why things did show improvement. Of course they still didn't have enough talent but things did improve. I'd love for you to explain what DWill's role will actually be in the Triangle since you sound like you have a clear understanding of what the offense is and what he'd be asked to do. Explain why DWill is in for a "rude awakening".

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/31/2015  2:48 PM
The surprise will be if he plays defense or actually passes the ball, even once. 2014/2015 highlight, 9 minutes, one steal, no blocks, no assists.
.06 APG, .05 SPG, .03 BPG
I doubt his advanced defensive stats make things look much better.

One can hope.

nixluva
USA
8/31/2015  3:56 PM
jrodmc wrote:The surprise will be if he plays defense or actually passes the ball, even once. 2014/2015 highlight, 9 minutes, one steal, no blocks, no assists.
.06 APG, .05 SPG, .03 BPG
I doubt his advanced defensive stats make things look much better.

One can hope.

I'm not expecting miracles on D from DWill. Just gotta hope that the Peer Pressure from the rest of the team does the trick with him on D. It's not going to go over well if he doesn't give max effort on D. There are many more defensive minded players on the team and they should help to police themselves to a greater degree along with the coaches pushing them to be a much better defensive team this year. He has the physical talent to be much better defensively than he has been. He needs to work on his fundamentals and understanding of defensive schemes.

As for DWill on offense and his passing, it's something that everyone has to adjust to in this offense. Not looking to score as soon as you touch the ball. It's a major shift and one way that it's achieved is to run the drills with no shooting and just passing the ball and moving without the ball, which will focus on the fundamentals of how to pass, where to pass, footwork, spacing, when to cut and where to cut etc. There's a lot of details involved in running a motion offense where passing is highly important to how the offense works. He's got to really dedicate himself to learning and perfecting the execution of the offense first and worry about his own scoring 2nd.

DWill's role has been clearly that of a finisher more than a play maker, but he still has to be a willing participant in the flow of the offense. IMO the kind of shots he's shown he's good at and the kind of shots he'll most often be getting in the Triangle match up very well.
He was good on scoring within 10 ft of the basket. He won't have a lot of Pull up looks IMO and he's not that good at it. He's reported to be working on his jumper and if he can improve a bit on his 3pt shot that would be helpful.

Field Goals	                        2 Point Field Goals	        3 Point Field Goals
General Range GP G Freq FGM FGA FG% eFG% Freq 2FGM 2FGA 2FG% Freq 3PM 3PA 3P%
Catch and Shoot 74 64 33.9% 0.7 2.2 33.7 46.9 6.0% 0.2 0.4 41.4 27.9% 0.6 1.8 32.1
Pullups 74 46 16.8% 0.3 1.1 29.6 32.7 12.9% 0.3 0.8 30.6 4.0% 0.1 0.3 26.3
Less then 10 ft 74 63 48.0% 1.8 3.1 58.0 58.0 48.0% 1.8 3.1 58.0 0.0% 0.0 0.0 -

He's coming in with a bad reputation as a ball mover. I doubt that he's ever been put in a role where he's been asked to handle the ball and look for teammates as he will in this system. Gotta hope he applies himself to the task. From what i've seen of how DWill has been used, he's been mostly away from the action most of the time. He literally barely touches the ball. It matters how a player is used when it comes to the passes and assist opportunities they have. DWill was not really in a lot of scenarios like he'll be in this year with the Knicks.

In the Kings offense most of DWill's passes were to the team's Guards. He was clearly passing the ball but not leading to shots and assists. I don't believe he was really asked to handle the ball very much in the flow of the offense. It'll be interesting to watch and see how he adapts to this change. You can see his passing distribution during games below.

Field Goals 2 Point Field Goals 3 Point Field Goals
Pass To FREQUENCY PASS AST FGM FGA FG% 2FGM 2FGA 2FG% 3FGM 3FGA 3FG%
McCallum, Ray 19.8% 3.5 0.1 0.2 0.4 50.0 0.2 0.4 48.3 0.0 0.0 66.7
Collison, Darren 19.7% 3.4 0.1 0.2 0.4 50.0 0.1 0.3 36.8 0.1 0.2 69.2
Miller, Andre 15.4% 2.7 0.0 0.1 0.3 42.1 0.1 0.2 53.3 0.0 0.1 0.0
Sessions, Ramon 8.0% 1.4 0.0 0.1 0.1 44.4 0.1 0.1 57.1 0.0 0.0 0.0
McLemore, Ben 7.6% 1.3 0.2 0.3 0.5 52.9 0.2 0.3 57.1 0.1 0.2 46.2

Cousins, DeMarcus 5.6% 1.0 0.1 0.1 0.3 47.8 0.1 0.3 47.8 0.0 0.0 -
Casspi, Omri 5.5% 1.0 0.1 0.1 0.4 42.3 0.1 0.3 45.8 0.0 0.0 0.0
Gay, Rudy 5.3% 0.9 0.0 0.1 0.3 30.0 0.1 0.2 35.7 0.0 0.1 16.7
Stauskas, Nik 4.7% 0.8 0.0 0.1 0.2 31.3 0.0 0.1 50.0 0.0 0.1 20.0
knicks1248
9/1/2015  10:39 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/1/2015  10:41 AM
nixluva wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
nixluva wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

You're totally missing the point. The Knicks were still running the Triangle and I can prove it but I don't have to. You're overstating the case of what was going on and why things did show improvement. Of course they still didn't have enough talent but things did improve. I'd love for you to explain what DWill's role will actually be in the Triangle since you sound like you have a clear understanding of what the offense is and what he'd be asked to do. Explain why DWill is in for a "rude awakening".

Because looking at the triangle system from a far, it looks quite easy, and players should be able to pick it up with no problem. Ball movement, player movement, spacing. Take for example acy, prior to him playing here, this guy hardly took mid range jumpers, all of a sudden he's playing in this system, and that's all he took, that wasn't his game or skill set, yet the system turned him into one.

That was the case with damn near everyone last season. The object of any coach is to tweak the system to compliment the player, not take the player out of his comfort zone and force him to do things he's not comfortable doing.

Imagine MDA telling shaq to take more 20 footers when he played for the suns, and all of a sudden shaq is bricking shots, fg percentage takes a major dip, and shaq is no longer the dominate player he was just a yr prior.

If I start seeing Dwill taking a million mid range shots, it tells me that fisher and his staff are still clueless, and are not very good coaches

ES
nixluva
USA
9/1/2015  1:41 PM
knicks1248 wrote:Because looking at the triangle system from a far, it looks quite easy, and players should be able to pick it up with no problem. Ball movement, player movement, spacing. Take for example acy, prior to him playing here, this guy hardly took mid range jumpers, all of a sudden he's playing in this system, and that's all he took, that wasn't his game or skill set, yet the system turned him into one.

That was the case with damn near everyone last season. The object of any coach is to tweak the system to compliment the player, not take the player out of his comfort zone and force him to do things he's not comfortable doing.

Imagine MDA telling shaq to take more 20 footers when he played for the suns, and all of a sudden shaq is bricking shots, fg percentage takes a major dip, and shaq is no longer the dominate player he was just a yr prior.

If I start seeing Dwill taking a million mid range shots, it tells me that fisher and his staff are still clueless, and are not very good coaches

The Triangle doesn't FORCE anyone to take mid range jumpers. This is why I'm always posting video. It seems to be wasted since people still have misconceptions about the Triangle. From now on i'm going to try and be extremely thorough in my explanations. Here are just a few different things the Knicks do in the Triangle besides the Elbow Jumper that guys like Jason Smith and LT would take as an option.

This notion that the Knicks weren't running the Triangle is nonsense. There's more to the system than just the Side Triangles. That's just a Nickname for the offense but it's a full System with many other options. That's why people think we weren't running the Triangle. People just don't know what is in the Triangle as a system. The original name of the offense is the Triple Post Offense.

Aside from the Post players the real trick of the offense is the motion. The many cuts that are part of the offense. Remember it's totally up to the players what they run on the floor. They have to make the decisions. There aren't plays so to speak. There are specific options depending on what the defense does and where the ball is passed. That can trigger a screen and a cut and the players have to recognize the options and execute.

knicks1248
9/1/2015  4:16 PM
I used the word force because the shot is so wide open everytime that players where settling for it 80% of the time. Those plays to the hoop where there, but all i saw was guards getting all the way to the basket, and kicking it out for YET, another mid rang jumper. Why you think we avg like 3 FT's a game.

shved made a slight difference, but gallow, larkin, priggs, jr, shumpert, bargiani, melo, jason, acy, lived in that mid range area. The only 2 players that took it to the hole was AMARE and Shved

ES
TPercy
Member: #5748

9/1/2015  4:47 PM
Does it force midrange jumpers? No. Does it give it to you on a silver platter? Damn well it does.
The Future is Bright!
nixluva
USA
9/1/2015  5:34 PM
knicks1248 wrote:I used the word force because the shot is so wide open everytime that players where settling for it 80% of the time. Those plays to the hoop where there, but all i saw was guards getting all the way to the basket, and kicking it out for YET, another mid rang jumper. Why you think we avg like 3 FT's a game.

shved made a slight difference, but gallow, larkin, priggs, jr, shumpert, bargiani, melo, jason, acy, lived in that mid range area. The only 2 players that took it to the hole was AMARE and Shved

You have to have players that are not only capable of getting to the basket but willing to go to the hoop. That's why we have different players this year. We had a team full of guys that mainly only wanted to take the mid range shot. If you look at the guards and wings you can see that they are in position to take 3's as well as attack the basket. The cuts are well established in this system so that it sets a player up going to the hoop. If a player decides to pull up and take the mid range jumper that is on the player.

Perfect example is how long Woodson BEGGED JR to go to the hoop. When he did he was a different player, but you couldn't get him to consistently use that part of his game as opposed to the dribble, step back fadeaway jumpers. There's only so much a coach can do. In our case Phil has brought in some guys that will aggressively attack the hoop. That is gonna be a huge factor for this team. Jerian, RoLo, DWill, O'Quinn and Seraphin are willing to score inside around the basket.

Jerian: Offensive Game - Grant is a really good offensive player, he has some of the highest PPP numbers in the draft, showcasing his efficiency and ability to make plays. His PPP comes in at 1.45, the most amongst anyone with 500+ possessions. His two point percentage is at 57.2%, meaning he can knock down the mid-range jumper with consistency. Grant is not the quickest, or fastest player, but he offers a quick first step that gives him a lot of opportunities to get to the rim, or dish to open shooters for good looks from three. Grant also offers wonderful pick and roll skills that provides him an immediate impact. Notre Dame ran quite a few pick and roll plays, where Grant showed he could knock down the three, mid-range, pass, and get to the rim if needed. The pick and roll is becoming a bigger part of the NBA and any player that is a great pick and roll player is an asset to any team. When this is coupled with his passing abilities, Grant is a deadly offensive threat.

RoLo: The offensive rebounding, always a significant part of his game, improved to elite as he's third in the league in offensive rebounding percentage.
Between the pick-and-rolls and the putbacks, Lopez finished 2013-14 with an offensive rating of 128 -- best in the league.

DWill: Strengths - Thanks to hard work last offseason, Williams smoothed out the mechanics of his jump shot, which paid off over the course of the schedule. Following the All-Star break, the wing shot 34.4 percent from downtown, while doubling his 3-point attempts to three per game after taking 1.4 in the season’s first half. Williams was excellent from the outside corners, where he shot 39.6 percent for the year.

Williams’ success from behind the arc forced defenders to close out, opening driving lanes. The forward delivered and scored a career-high 69.6 percent on attempts in the key. Williams showed a knack for finishing contested looks at the rim, as only 12.8 percent of his shots inside five feet were blocked. His SportsCenter-quality dunks accounted for 15 percent of his total shots, converting 89 percent despite high levels of difficulty. Williams made a career-high 44.7 percent of his field goals attempts in total.

“D-Thrill” ran the floor with ease and he was capable of pushing the ball himself. Williams averaged 1.4 turnovers per 36 minutes, the second-best rate on the team. His ability to dribble and penetrate considering his 6-foot-8, 240-pound stature is a testament to his unique talents.

Derrick Williams Will be the surprised player of the Knicks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy