Author Thread
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

8/27/2015  4:23 PM
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:win shares are stupid! Why can't people just stick to typewriters and FG? UGH

anyways, Harden sucks! All he can do is flop hahhahahahhahah

Does players benefit from being on better teams??.U know, they win more games??..So better players on better teams should have higher win shares???

not really. I first thought that when I used to argue about it with bonn but I saw that it was not the case.

however, playing with a guard who sets you up for efficient shots will of course help.

Efficient players have high WS's. And of course, we are talking about WS48 not WS.

Compare Jimmy Butler's(2.6 pts per) win shares(.144) in his rookie season on a 50 win team versus Kemba Walker(12 pts per) win shares(.009) on at 7 win team..Both rooks in 2011-12...

how about we compare jennifer capriati to lance armstrong? Who is a better bowler?

so here is what phil is thinking ....
AUTOADVERT
mreinman
Member: #3189

8/27/2015  4:25 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
ESOMKnicks wrote:Question for some of the more experienced Knicks fans: was Bernard King subjected to the same type of criticism as Melo back in his Knicks playing days?

As for Melo accepting a lesser role on the offense, who is it that the Knicks have on their roster now that is bursting with offensive prowess that Melo is holding back?

It's wasn't the same..It was a different era..The big money Melo makes is an issue...24/7 news cycle..The internet..Anyone is writing a column these days...And I mean the dude down the block or in a dorm room or his mother's basement...The hip hop era...Allen Iverson..Corn rolls and tattoos...There hate is real out there but there are some that has legit basketball questions..Just that today they mask their issues and says it's about basketball and the game...It's deeper...Guys like Melo don't carry themselves in a manner that apologies for their wealth or status..It rubs some the wrong way...

you started off with two truths and then went into justifying melo's behavior. the dude has been an in love with himself greedy infantile douche.

You are justifying my point by mentioning "Melo's behavior"...

okay.. so u characterize his behavior a certain way and say it is perfectly good and acceptable behavior. meanwhile i characterize his behavior a certain way, differently from u, and say it is not perfectly good and acceptable.

u seem to be headed down a particular primrose path with your post..

So DK

If melo passes the ball to tony douglas a 100 times and he consistently misses wide open shots, and decides to stop passing and forces shots despite being covered by both his man and dougles man that make him in efficient ?

how about he pass to prigs who was often wide open and leading the league in 3 point efficiency?? THIS HAPPENED ALL THE TIME!

melo does not care who he doesn't pass to.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
holfresh
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1081

8/27/2015  4:31 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/27/2015  4:32 PM
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:win shares are stupid! Why can't people just stick to typewriters and FG? UGH

anyways, Harden sucks! All he can do is flop hahhahahahhahah

Does players benefit from being on better teams??.U know, they win more games??..So better players on better teams should have higher win shares???

not really. I first thought that when I used to argue about it with bonn but I saw that it was not the case.

however, playing with a guard who sets you up for efficient shots will of course help.

Efficient players have high WS's. And of course, we are talking about WS48 not WS.

Compare Jimmy Butler's(2.6 pts per) win shares(.144) in his rookie season on a 50 win team versus Kemba Walker(12 pts per) win shares(.009) on at 7 win team..Both rooks in 2011-12...

how about we compare jennifer capriati to lance armstrong? Who is a better bowler?

Effective FGs are identical ..

dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
8/27/2015  4:32 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
ESOMKnicks wrote:Question for some of the more experienced Knicks fans: was Bernard King subjected to the same type of criticism as Melo back in his Knicks playing days?

As for Melo accepting a lesser role on the offense, who is it that the Knicks have on their roster now that is bursting with offensive prowess that Melo is holding back?

It's wasn't the same..It was a different era..The big money Melo makes is an issue...24/7 news cycle..The internet..Anyone is writing a column these days...And I mean the dude down the block or in a dorm room or his mother's basement...The hip hop era...Allen Iverson..Corn rolls and tattoos...There hate is real out there but there are some that has legit basketball questions..Just that today they mask their issues and says it's about basketball and the game...It's deeper...Guys like Melo don't carry themselves in a manner that apologies for their wealth or status..It rubs some the wrong way...

you started off with two truths and then went into justifying melo's behavior. the dude has been an in love with himself greedy infantile douche.

okay.. so u characterize his behavior a certain way and say it is perfectly good and acceptable behavior. meanwhile i characterize his behavior a certain way, differently from u, and say it is not perfectly good and acceptable.

So DK

If melo passes the ball to tony douglas a 100 times and he consistently misses wide open shots, and decides to stop passing and forces shots despite being covered by both his man and dougles man that make him in efficient ?

you're using a smart phone to type? i think i know what you're asking me.

this is the crux of the matter and my core belief: great basketball players use the regular season to work on keeping others involved from the very beginning of games, with the goal of raising their comfort level. if these others do not prove themselves worthy then it's up to the coach to get someone in there who will deliver... provided the investment of effort to work *with* others is put in. beyond that it is on the gm to find players with actual skills.

there are several level of performance in the beautiful, balletic team sport of basketball:

1) players with an "i gotta get mine" approach who are chemistry and coach killers but whose talent level is so high they continue to fool stupider gms with their fool's gold, jayvee season prowess
2) players who simply cannot see the floor and who can only play "alongside" others-- these players tend to get traded regularly
3) players who have patiently studied the habits and comfort zones of teammates and try to use the skills they themselves have to make plays, ie reaching the level of being able to play WITH others
4) a championship-level team of players who each have learned how to play with one another and are capable of acheiving greatness by playing FOR one another

this can be fleshed out some but this is a basic paradigm by which to measure a player and the team her plays on.

your question is again invalid: it is up to melo as the self acclaimed underrated superstar to improve his game in a manner where he enables others, ie the so-called "best player" should be best at making others around him better. of course he doesn't do that but the triangle will enable him to do what he himself has not been able to do.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
dk7th
USA
8/27/2015  4:35 PM
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:

No what I'm saying is that I don't care about Melo's behavior..I could care less what he is doing off the court...Seem like his cash moves bother you, what happens in TMZ and social media..I care when the refs toss up the basketball to when they blow the final whistle...

and when his behavior and business decisions affect the quality of his teams/teammates and the morale of the teams/teammates, what then?

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
holfresh

8/27/2015  4:40 PM
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:

No what I'm saying is that I don't care about Melo's behavior..I could care less what he is doing off the court...Seem like his cash moves bother you, what happens in TMZ and social media..I care when the refs toss up the basketball to when they blow the final whistle...

and when his behavior and business decisions affect the quality of his teams/teammates and the morale of the teams/teammates, what then?

By business decisions, you mean the instances you feel he should act against his own self interest?

holfresh

8/27/2015  4:48 PM
@dk7..Do you have a problem with Robin Lopez taking 13/14 mil per year??
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/27/2015  4:50 PM
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:

When has this happened? Two nba players are in the news today. One guy is in the news because he donated a basketball court to a community the other guy is in the news because he is accused of gang rape. Not sure what Melo is doing off the court that is hurting his team/teammates.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
dk7th
USA
8/27/2015  4:52 PM
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:

By business decisions, you mean the instances you feel he should act against his own self interest?

you're way too black and white as usual. there's a reason why contracts are negotiated. if you end up with a boatload of cash but a paucity of talent then that's going to be a problem. or, if you are afraid if missing that boat on a big payday and force a trade that pays you well but costs the team you are going to a bunch of human assets in exchange for your services then that too is going to be a problem.

that's why being a savvy negotiator who is finding a balance between money and work atmosphere is so important. melo lacks the savvy because he only sees dollar signs. so he is actually working against his own self interests as an nba player. the money he makes comes ata significant price-- can you understand that statement?

what i have resented about the knicks is that there was an opportunity to build something in 2010. we had ALL the leverage to keep a patient rebuild going, and then completely sabotaged that process. hre we are 4-5 years later and essentially nothing has changed... although i believe we will see signs of that progress that we could have witnessed in 2011-2012 had the melo deal not occurred as it did.

melo as a free agent in 2011-2012 would have been a much better scenario. but yeah he acted in his own perceived self-interest even though it was self-destructive.

TripleThreat
Member: #3997

8/27/2015  4:55 PM
knicks1248 wrote:If melo passes the ball to tony douglas a 100 times and he consistently misses wide open shots, and decides to stop passing and forces shots despite being covered by both his man and dougles man that make him in efficient ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

False dilemma
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A false dilemma ..... is a type of informal fallacy that involves a situation in which only limited alternatives are considered, when in fact there is at least one additional option. The opposite of this fallacy is argument to moderation.

The options may be a position that is between two extremes (such as when there are shades of grey) or may be completely different alternatives. Phrasing that implies two options (dilemma, dichotomy, black-and-white).....

False dilemma can arise intentionally, when fallacy is used in an attempt to force a choice or outcome such as, in some contexts, the assertion that "if you are not with us, you are against us."

.....Additionally, it can be the result of habitual, patterned, black-and-white and/or intensely political/politicized thinking whereby a model of binary (or polar) opposites is assigned or imposed to whatever regarded object/context, almost automatically--a process that may ignore both complexity and alternatives to more extreme juxtaposed archetypes; binary opposition is explored extensively in critical theory.

Notice the pattern of the Melo Ball Lickers Club?

1) Try to change the subject. Talk about Ewing, talk about historical comparisions, talk about anything else than the fact that Melo doesn't give consistently solid effort on defense.

2) Outright attack the poster.

3) Push their agenda with random sources, but usually against no type of actual context to how the game is played/how the league
operates

4) Simply ignore what they don't want to hear

Melo puts effort into defense when he feels like it. If he wants respect, part and parcel, he needs to actually commit to playing defense on a consistent basis and on a consistent level.

CrushAlot
USA
8/27/2015  4:58 PM
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:

you're way too black and white as usual. there's a reason why contracts are negotiated. if you end up with a boatload of cash but a paucity of talent then that's going to be a problem. or, if you are afraid if missing that boat on a big payday and force a trade that pays you well but costs the team you are going to a bunch of human assets in exchange for your services then that too is going to be a problem.

that's why being a savvy negotiator who is finding a balance between money and work atmosphere is so important. melo lacks the savvy because he only sees dollar signs. so he is actually working against his own self interests as an nba player. the money he makes comes ata significant price-- can you understand that statement?

what i have resented about the knicks is that there was an opportunity to build something in 2010. we had ALL the leverage to keep a patient rebuild going, and then completely sabotaged that process. hre we are 4-5 years later and essentially nothing has changed... although i believe we will see signs of that progress that we could have witnessed in 2011-2012 had the melo deal not occurred as it did.

melo as a free agent in 2011-2012 would have been a much better scenario. but yeah he acted in his own perceived self-interest even though it was self-destructive.

He acted based on the labor situation at the time and Ujiri also wasn't going to not trade Melo and let him walk. The scenarios where Melo makes less, the Nuggets get nothing for Melo and the Knicks get him without giving up anything only benefit the Knicks. The world doesn't work that way.
dk7th
USA
8/27/2015  5:08 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:

He acted based on the labor situation at the time and Ujiri also wasn't going to not trade Melo and let him walk. The scenarios where Melo makes less, the Nuggets get nothing for Melo and the Knicks get him without giving up anything only benefit the Knicks. The world doesn't work that way.

sure it does.

CrushAlot
USA
8/27/2015  5:16 PM
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:

sure it does.

Do you sell Amway?
holfresh

8/27/2015  5:29 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/27/2015  5:55 PM
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:

You fail to illustrate the bad management we had in the process..U fail to see the bad management in place right now..Donnie and MDA signed Amare..The team was doomed from that single act..Melo or no Melo...Amnestying Billups was a disaster after picking up his option a few months earlier..Bringing in Chandler, another disaster..MDA was a disaster...But you continue to moan about Melo's contract and trade..Gallo turned out to be nothing...Will is just an ok player..Moz the same..They didn't help Denver do anything...

Donnie wanted DWill over Melo..We would have been so hosed with Amare, DWill and MDA...We just paid the wrong Lopez 13/14 mil per...DWill 5 mil per and Affalo 8 mil ..We resigned Admunson and Thomas and u are worried about Melo at 22/23 per...If I were Melo, I would be pissed I gave up money for this...

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

8/27/2015  5:33 PM
mreinman wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:

So DK

how about he pass to prigs who was often wide open and leading the league in 3 point efficiency?? THIS HAPPENED ALL THE TIME!

melo does not care who he doesn't pass to.

I love Prigs and you are right but how many open threes did he pass up as a knick? How many times did he end up playing hot potato with the ball behind the 3pt line. I believ he even confessed that players/coaches had to erge him to shoot more.

With that being said Melo still needs to pass more.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
8/27/2015  6:35 PM
Stats can help and should be part of the evaluation process but they still aren't perfect. Melo is still a big time player in this league. IMO nothing has changed. He needs a good team around him and he needs to play smarter and use the more efficient parts of his game and limit the less efficient parts of his game. IMO if he has more help he should feel less need to force things. I think he's been forcing things mainly due to limitations with the Knicks roster. When the players around him are productive he won't have to try and do too much and defenses won't be able to focus so much attention on Melo. IMO it's really that simple.

The false narrative is that Melo would just force shots when playing with good players which has never been shown to be true. That's why Olympic Melo is so good. I think Phil has done a decent job of addressing the roster around Melo. They should improve as we move along this season and next.

Many of the players we have now are more efficient than the guys we had last year. There were some players we have who had lower than usual production last year due to injury and hopefully being healthy they can perform much better.

2014-15 Points Per Shot Leaders - All Players Adj
PLAYER TEAM GP PPG FGM FGA FGM FGA FG% 2PM 2PA 2P% PPS FG%
Carmelo Anthony, SF NY 40 24.2 9.0 20.2 358 806 .444 297 627 .474 1.20 .482
Kristaps Porzingis, PF ??
Jerian Grant, PG ??
Robin Lopez, C POR 59 9.6 4.0 7.4 234 437 .535 234 436 .537 1.30 .535
Derrick Williams, PF SAC 74 8.3 2.9 6.6 217 485 .447 168 329 .511 1.27 .498
Kyle O'Quinn, PF ORL 51 5.8 2.3 4.7 119 242 .492 107 199 .538 1.21 .517
Arron Afflalo, SG DEN/POR 78 13.3 4.8 11.3 375 884 .424 257 551 .466 1.17 .491
Kevin Seraphin, PF WSH 79 6.6 2.9 5.7 231 450 .513 231 448 .516 1.16 .513
Langston Galloway, PG NY 45 11.8 4.5 11.4 204 511 .399 142 335 .424 1.04 .460
Lou Amundson, PF CLE/NY 53 4.9 2.1 4.8 109 255 .427 109 254 .429 1.02 .427
Lance Thomas, SF NY/OKC 62 7.1 2.9 7.1 182 442 .412 175 420 .417 1.00 .420
Cleanthony Early, SF NY 39 5.4 1.9 5.5 76 214 .355 54 130 .415 0.98 .407

Alexey Shved, PG NY/PHI 42 10.3 3.2 8.0 133 335 .397 86 196 .439 1.30 .467
Quincy Acy, SF NY 68 5.9 2.2 4.9 152 331 .459 134 271 .494 1.20 .486
Andrea Bargnani, C NY 29 14.8 5.7 12.4 164 361 .454 149 320 .466 1.19 .475
Cole Aldrich, C NY 61 5.5 2.4 4.9 144 301 .478 144 301 .478 1.12 .478
J.R. Smith, SG CLE/NY 70 12.1 4.5 10.8 315 755 .417 152 329 .462 1.12 .525
Tim Hardaway Jr., SG NY 70 11.5 4.0 10.2 279 717 .389 158 363 .435 1.12 .474
Jason Smith, PF NY 82 8.0 3.1 7.2 257 592 .434 242 550 .440 1.11 .447
Shane Larkin, PG NY 76 6.2 2.5 5.7 187 432 .433 152 316 .481 1.09 .473
Jose Calderon, PG NY 42 9.1 3.5 8.4 147 354 .415 88 212 .415 1.08 .499
Iman Shumpert, SG CLE/NY 62 8.0 3.1 7.6 193 471 .410 126 275 .458 1.05 .481
Samuel Dalembert, C NY 32 4.0 1.8 4.1 57 130 .438 57 130 .438 0.98 .438

dk7th
USA
8/27/2015  7:34 PM
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:

You fail to illustrate the bad management we had in the process..U fail to see the bad management in place right now..Donnie and MDA signed Amare..The team was doomed from that single act..Melo or no Melo...Amnestying Billups was a disaster after picking up his option a few months earlier..Bringing in Chandler, another disaster..MDA was a disaster...But you continue to moan about Melo's contract and trade..Gallo turned out to be nothing...Will is just an ok player..Moz the same..They didn't help Denver do anything...

Donnie wanted DWill over Melo..We would have been so hosed with Amare, DWill and MDA...We just paid the wrong Lopez 13/14 mil per...DWill 5 mil per and Affalo 8 mil ..We resigned Admunson and Thomas and u are worried about Melo at 22/23 per...If I were Melo, I would be pissed I gave up money for this...

"donnie and mda signed amare." really? no they didn't. dolan was forced to take on walsh by virtue of the league. this was when dolan still felt like he knew what he was doing or simply wanted to put asses in seats. he allowed walsh to tear down and draft but that was about it. he was never going to allow walsh to do his job because dolan is a pandering barnum and bailey swine.

the lebron sweepstakes was a gamble, not even a calculated risk. if i am lebron why the hell would i want to be an employee of james dolan? dolan is a pig. the move for stoudemire was a completely unnecessary plan b emergency move which was part of dolan's directive to put asses in seats... not a true rebuild. again, dolan is a pandering swine, appealing to two extremes, corporate a-holes and lowbrow riffraff-- both extremes merely want to be entertained, and if you pander to them like dolan does, you never develop a winner.

it all goes back to dolan. you should be happy now that dolan has finally removed himself. and you're being an idiot for criticizing jackson for doing his thing without dolan interfering. but if dolan does interfere then everything becomes a disaster again. jackson loves the knicks more than dolan ever will.

the knicks have been a disaster because dolan is a disaster. everything he has his paw prints on is a disaster. and yes, melo and dolan are in the same bed.. the epitome of chaos, upheaval, the lunatics running the asylum.

you should be looking forward to this coming season.

holfresh

8/27/2015  7:49 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/27/2015  8:27 PM
Still having problems assigning ownership...Dolan did this Dolan did that..Dolan told Phil to resign Melo..Dolan is the bad bank..Your fav GM and coach are the good bank...
dk7th
USA
8/27/2015  7:52 PM
holfresh wrote:Still having problem assigning ownership...Dolan did this Dolan did that..Dolan told Phil to resign Melo..Dolan is the bad bank..Your fav GM and coach are to good bank...

the fish rots from the head down. this is an inescapable fact. the day that dolan admitted he did not know what he was doing was the dawn of hope. but please do continue to crap on jackson and fisher and lopez and o'quinn and porzingis and grant.

i am looking forward to this season.

holfresh

8/27/2015  7:55 PM
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:Still having problem assigning ownership...Dolan did this Dolan did that..Dolan told Phil to resign Melo..Dolan is the bad bank..Your fav GM and coach are to good bank...

the fish rots from the head down. this is an inescapable fact. the day that dolan admitted he did not know what he was doing was the dawn of hope. but please do continue to crap on jackson and fisher and lopez and o'quinn and porzingis and grant.

i am looking forward to this season.

Calderon stinks..U can add him to your list...
Article: It is time we respect Carmelo Anthony

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy