Jeremy Lin - The most overrated hype job in NY Knicks history
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
8/16/2015  6:24 PM
TripleThreat wrote:http://www.cs.unca.edu/~manns/AManagerForAllSeasons.htm

"Such displays of loyalty register deeply with the players: “We’re loyal to Joe because Joe is loyal to us,” says Stanton. These bonds, in turn, have allowed Torre to make difficult decisions—such as temporarily benching big-name veterans for strategic reasons—without a peep of protest. Well, hardly a peep: Torre says his one incorrigible was outfielder Ruben Sierra, who complained ceaselessly about everything from his playing time to his uniform number. “He didn’t get it, and in retrospect, I don’t think he wanted to get it,” says Torre. “He was so used to dictating what he wanted as opposed to what was best for the team.” Traded to Detroit at Torre’s insistence, Sierra meant to insult the Yankees when he growled, “All they care about over there is winning.” "

Many criticism of Jeremy Lin tend to revolve around two basic concepts

1) That, as a 2nd year player, but really only getting an opportunity during his Knicks run, that as a young NBA player, that his flaws then were all he could be and ever be. This is not in line with how NBA players actually develop. If Lin was a 5th or 6th year player, I could see some reasoning, esp if he had had ample minutes to construct a wide view of his strengths and limitations. Most Lin criticism asks everyone to "trap" him in time, essentially as a rookie.

2) Most criticism holds him to a standard of a 10 year veteran in the league. Why doesn't he do this? Why does he do that? He was essentially a raw rookie jacked up to heavy minutes on the biggest spotlight in sports, and all he did was step up and help his team win. He doesn't control what the schedule looks like, he didn't control when his opportunity would come, if at all, but when it came, he was ready for it.

If a parent has a 10 year old who makes a mistake, do you expect that parent to punch that kid in the face? Because often the Lin criticism comes off just like that. Wow, a young point guard still learning the game coughs up the ball. In the history of the NBA, NO ONE HAS EVER SEEN THAT HAPPEN.

The Knicks desperately needed help at point guard, and he came in, and against all odds, gave them what they needed. He played real team basketball and played the game the right way. He did more to help the team win more than lose. He conducted himself as a professional. If he was a Knick now, he'd still be trying to play the right way.

Magic Johnson said it best, go beyond the turnovers, look at how many players on the roster are scoring in double digits when Lin is on the floor, look how much he energizes the team because they know if they do their job, he is going to do his damnest to get them the ball, look how he pumps up the crowd, how everyone is waiting to see what he does next, notice how he does a lot of the intangible things that you just can't teach a young player.

Of course Melo's biggest ball lickers here will be up in arms about Lin. Lin and how he played and how he lead the team to victories, as an undrafted free agent with only maybe 1/1000th of Melo's overall basketball talent, that just shamed Melo. If an undrafted young kid with almost no real NBA experience can do it, why can't a veteran with a decade in the league and with All Star and Team USA experience? Everything Lin did right was an indictment on everything Melo did wrong when it came to real team basketball.

Driven off the roster at Melo’s insistence, guys like jrodmc, holfresh and CrushAlot meant to insult the Jeremy Lin when they growled, “All he did for the Knicks was help them win basketball games.” "

You might want to look back in the forum to that season and see how people felt about Lin. Lin made a business decision to leave. He fired his agent and went with a bigger firm, he sat out of usa basketball because he said it might jeopardize his free agency and he signed a deal that had a poison pill in it that prevented the Knicks from matching. How Lin's getting the best deal he could is put on Melo is beyond me but I think it would do you good to look back to a time that season before you were here to see how posters felt about Lin.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
8/16/2015  7:55 PM
Whats interesting is that MDA wanted to trade Carmelo for Deron Williams who is a ball dominant PG. How was that going to work with Lin? Who is also a ball dominant guard. Maybe in Barbosa like role off the bench. But Barbosa was a more reliable shooter. I think once MDA realized Lin's short comings he wanted an upgrade at the position. And he wasn't in love with Lin like that after the downward spiral. You don't try to trade for a Deron Williams type of PG if you feel you already have one. MDA wanted to trade his biggest trade piece for his biggest need.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

8/16/2015  11:00 PM
While m thankful for the memories and while I bought a Lin jersey for myself and my dad--it doesn't change the fact that he's a one handed glass jaw chucker. It doesn't change the fact that he shut it down because he was at "85 percent" in the playoffs so he could get paid. It doesn't change the fact that he whored himself out to the highest bidder and tried to pretend like he was Tim Tebow. Thanks for the good times, also ran
DLeethal wrote: Lol Rick needs a safe space
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

8/17/2015  12:43 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:While m thankful for the memories and while I bought a Lin jersey for myself and my dad--it doesn't change the fact that he's a one handed glass jaw chucker. It doesn't change the fact that he shut it down because he was at "85 percent" in the playoffs so he could get paid. It doesn't change the fact that he whored himself out to the highest bidder and tried to pretend like he was Tim Tebow. Thanks for the good times, also ran

Had an argument on a thread about Exum getting hurt playing in for his world team. I brought up Paul George, too. My position was that you owed something to the team who was paying you millions, and perhaps that meant NOT playing in the World Championships.

Then you have Anthony, who decided to play until the All-Star Game for some shoe $$, and now comes out saying that he did not know he had a tear until January.

Lin, who pissed me off by not playing in the playoffs and signing with Houston, also decided to skip USA Basketball.

The reason Lin was different from the other 3 I mentioned is that he was the only one without any guaranteed money/contract for the next season, and unlike the others, he was not an established star or #1 pick.

Guys like Anthony and George are set for life...they can do or not do whatever they want in terms of playing with their national teams. Both seem to want to play on the team next year. The only contractual way they can be kept out is if their team proves they have an injury and should not be allowed to play.

A guy like Exum has his guaranteed money for this season, and even though his next two years are team options, you don't expect a Utahto give up on a high #1, and he and is also young enough to recover fully.

Someone like Lin, though, might have to worry about his future if he got hurt.

I'm not sure if I truly considered this at the time because I was pissed off that his injury kept him out of the playoffs, but even though I was annoyed that he chose to sign with Houston, I can appreciate the precarious nature of his situation, and better understand why he might have been scared to play in the playoffs.

You also have to wonder if the departure of MDA made a difference, since Woodson was not known to run that kind of offense, and I wonder if he also left because he knew his buddy Fields was leaving.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
foosballnick
Member: #3148

8/17/2015  8:50 PM
dk7th wrote:
foosballnick wrote:
dk7th wrote:
foosballnick wrote:
dk7th wrote:
foosballnick wrote:The continual and tiring issue is that if you are a supporter of something with the Knicks.....you are somehow assumed to also have to take a position on Melo.....then lines are drawn and the personal shots are fired here.

Lin was great for the short time he was with the Knicks. He gave a shot of energy to the Team, Fanbase, Media etc. However here's the thing(s).....

MDA should not be credited IMO as he had Lin on the roster and did not use him until desperately forced to.

Lin played great during his run with the Knicks - but did not play in the Playoffs

Ultimately Lin chose to take the most money offered and play in Houston. This is not a bad thing - but ultimately it was his choice to do so. If I'm an owner of any business, I'm hard pressed to offer a significant amount of money over an extended period based on a small sample size of performance. As it turned out, the correct decision was not to re-sign Lin to the $8 mil contract per year (& $15 mil Balloon Payment in year 3) based on his performance after his brief run with the Knicks.

Not sure you have to be a polarizing Melo Lover or Hater based on how you feel about Lin.....there are too many who try to bring Melo into every single topic.

No. Almost everything in this post is wrong.

Please indicate what exactly is not factual about the post of shut your pie hole.

"MDA should not be credited".... We can start there.

It's difficult to determine what is lower. Your sense of reality or your intelligence level, How about you take the time to re-read the post. What you are challenging as non-factual was in fact presented as an opinion. Please reference the "IMO" in that sentence which means "in my opinion". How about you actually challenge presented facts with fact checks and challenge opinions with opinions and don't mix the two. Otherwise it just continues to further the hypothesis that you are nothing more than a buffoon on this board.

No.

your post contains both YOUR opinion and more opinions masquerading as facts. both are wrong.

No you continue to reveal that you are ignorant to basic logic and sentence structure.

Let's examine the post in question. Something you seem incapable of doing.

1st Paragraph - observation

2nd paragraph - fact based opinion

3rd paragraph - opinion

4th paragraph - fact

5th paragraph - both facts and opinions clearly demarked

6th paragraph - summary opinion

You need to stay out of things that are way over your grade level of understanding.

Jeremy Lin - The most overrated hype job in NY Knicks history

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy