TeamBall
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4386

8/13/2015  2:08 PM
holfresh wrote:
Nalod wrote:
holfresh wrote:
TeamBall wrote:
technomaster wrote:What was the big deal about the poison pill anyway? The Rockets were able to trade him no problem. The Lakers traded for him and survived. Mediocre players were signed for more this offseason.

I hope he can find a good situation again. He was certainly one of the most exciting players for that stretch. But fundamentally, maybe he never was quite the same after tearing cartilage in his knee that season.

Maybe he was never the same without Jared Jeffries as his pnr partner.

But players perform in the right circumstances... I can't say we won't see Linsanity again. There were still a few flashes on the Lakers this past season.

I tend to agree with this but history has shown the Knicks don't (can't?) make good trades. If we retained Lin and then traded him, I'd have to believe we would have gotten fleeced.

If you call adding a first round pick which Houston did to be able to move Lin a "good trade" then I guess you are right..

They got to conf finals. Bad trade but low pick to dump salary did not derail them as they are in "win now mode". Its a trade we could not afford to have done.
In the end the knicks made a tough decision.

Don't forget, Rockets were building a young team but got Harden AFTER signing Lin via trade. That changed the complexion of the team and Lin became a bad fit. The poison pill they put in his contract was toxic in any trade until the last year of the deal. Like I said, the rockets got to conf finals despite. Final four is not a bad season and I would imagine they were a financial success as well.

Perhaps in different scenario Lin does better? Tough to say. NBA is a tough business. No doubt Lin being who he is and the Insanity in the biggest market and a free agent all combined at the right time for him financially, but also being in the back court after trading away some good pieces/picks for Harden also had a huge effect.

I'm not killing Houston for the trade..I just pointing out it wasn't without cost and the Knicks did the right thing by not matching Lin's offer..

Pretty much what Nalod said. If the Knicks were in the same position as Houston was at the time then the trade would not look so bad.
Knicksfan: Hypocrite league that fines players after the game for flopping but in the game and with obvious flopping they call the fouls.
AUTOADVERT
holfresh
Member: #1081

8/13/2015  3:14 PM
TeamBall wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Nalod wrote:
holfresh wrote:
TeamBall wrote:
technomaster wrote:What was the big deal about the poison pill anyway? The Rockets were able to trade him no problem. The Lakers traded for him and survived. Mediocre players were signed for more this offseason.

I hope he can find a good situation again. He was certainly one of the most exciting players for that stretch. But fundamentally, maybe he never was quite the same after tearing cartilage in his knee that season.

But players perform in the right circumstances... I can't say we won't see Linsanity again. There were still a few flashes on the Lakers this past season.

I tend to agree with this but history has shown the Knicks don't (can't?) make good trades. If we retained Lin and then traded him, I'd have to believe we would have gotten fleeced.

If you call adding a first round pick which Houston did to be able to move Lin a "good trade" then I guess you are right..

They got to conf finals. Bad trade but low pick to dump salary did not derail them as they are in "win now mode". Its a trade we could not afford to have done.

Don't forget, Rockets were building a young team but got Harden AFTER signing Lin via trade. That changed the complexion of the team and Lin became a bad fit. The poison pill they put in his contract was toxic in any trade until the last year of the deal. Like I said, the rockets got to conf finals despite. Final four is not a bad season and I would imagine they were a financial success as well.

Perhaps in different scenario Lin does better? Tough to say. NBA is a tough business. No doubt Lin being who he is and the Insanity in the biggest market and a free agent all combined at the right time for him financially, but also being in the back court after trading away some good pieces/picks for Harden also had a huge effect.

I'm not killing Houston for the trade..I just pointing out it wasn't without cost and the Knicks did the right thing by not matching Lin's offer..

Pretty much what Nalod said. If the Knicks were in the same position as Houston was at the time then the trade would not look so bad.

Signing him in the first place was the stupid move...

blkexec
Member: #748
8/13/2015  3:42 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
blkexec wrote:It just shows you how some players excel in a system, while others don't. Linn was a perfect example of how his game fit well with MDA's system. Lets hope we have the same effect with some of the guys fitting in with Phil's triangle system.

Sometimes the right system can turn a scrub into a star......My hope is DWill.......If he plays better than expected, this team will shine. Some say it's all on the rookies, but I think if DWill plays up to his top 5 expectation, due to a triangle system that he studied growing up a Laker fan, the skies the limit. Everybody is sleeping on DWill's impact. I think his game is built for the triangle. He doesn't have to be creative. He's actually a terrible ISO player and a better system player.

I hope you are right and good point about growing up studying the triangle.

Its a good sign when George Carl took over and DWill turned his season around. You have to think Carl and his structured offense played a part. DWills Laker love and triangle structure could be the motivation he needs.....along with his respect for fisher and phil.

Its never too late to turn your career around....especially for a dude in their mid 20s.....Hes a highlight reel waiting to happen. He makes momentum plays. Defense is the main question.....but it will be hidden by other defenders on the team. A vintage Barron Davis would be a perfect PG for him. Somebody who knows how to throw a lob pass. Hes still an above the rim player. Grant has a lot of big bodies.....he should rack up a lot of assists.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
8/13/2015  5:07 PM
Moonangie wrote:Linsanity = best Knicks experience in the post-ECF era.

+1

RedmenBaller
Member: #6084

8/13/2015  6:34 PM
gunsnewing wrote:

+1

gunsnewing
USA
8/13/2015  6:49 PM
RedmenBaller wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:

+1

Give it up. You are pathetic

RedmenBaller
Member: #6084

8/13/2015  9:42 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
RedmenBaller wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:

+1

What do u mean?

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

8/13/2015  11:42 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
RedmenBaller wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:

+1

The title for the YouTube clip- Full Highlights of Chinese Chucker is borderline racist, IMO- Could this also be a reason for the poster's strange hatred toward Lin?

In another thread he said this to another poster:

Again, who do you think we should have on the team? And please don't 
say Lin, heard she is doing laundry as part of her new contract

Would not pay much attention to this guy...I expect that his mother is going to take away his internet privileges very soon.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
8/13/2015  11:50 PM
Damn a dude really made a 15min video dedicated to Lin turnovers. Now that's hate!
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
8/13/2015  11:50 PM
Damn a dude really made a 15min video dedicated to Lin turnovers. Now that's hate!
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
gunsnewing
USA
8/13/2015  11:51 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
RedmenBaller wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:

+1

The title for the YouTube clip- Full Highlights of Chinese Chucker is borderline racist, IMO- Could this also be a reason for the poster's strange hatred toward Lin?

In another thread he said this to another poster:

Again, who do you think we should have on the team? And please don't 
say Lin, heard she is doing laundry as part of her new contract

Would not pay much attention to this guy...I expect that his mother is going to take away his internet privileges very soon.

Jrod and supreme's approval of this thread is pretty disappointing and confirms all my preconceived notions.

Shame.

Life goes on

Swishfm3
Member: #392
8/14/2015  12:05 AM
Guns man-love for Lin is so strange...

Lin sucks and Linsanity was a fluke. LA is his last stop...He will be playing overseas in 2 years.

gunsnewing
USA
8/14/2015  12:07 AM
Swishfm3 wrote:Guns man-love for Lin is so strange...

Lin sucks and Linsanity was a fluke. LA is his last stop...He will be playing overseas in 2 years.

And how does that change what he was in New York

Please explain. I'm all ears...

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/14/2015  12:12 AM
gunsnewing wrote:
Swishfm3 wrote:Guns man-love for Lin is so strange...

And how does that change what he was in New York

Please explain. I'm all ears...

It doesn't but the guys you are upset with +1 to Melo garbage being posted all the time. Not sure how that is an endorsement of Lin bashing.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
WaltLongmire

8/14/2015  12:21 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/14/2015  12:25 AM
Funny thing is that the OP constantly gets on folks who he thinks are criticizing the money certain players are making. Maybe the OP is simply jealous that Lin, whatever his NBA star status is, has made millions of dollars in the sport, and he is on the outside looking in.

I was against signing Lin to the contract Houston crafted, though who am I to begrudge Lin his gold, BUT if you look back a few years- you will find that two Knicks on that team broke the sacred rule about publicly commenting on another player's contract. One very prominent player on the Knicks called the contract "ridiculous," and another said if the Knicks signed Lin to this contract it would cause trouble in the locker room because "some guys take it personal, because they've been doing it longer and haven't received any reward for it yet. I think it's a tough subject to touch on for a lot of guys."

These comments were made during the process, by the way- at a time when the team was debating whether to sign Lin.

You can make a case that Lin made a career mistake by leaving a team with a coach who desperately needed someone like him on the team, and might have crafted him into a better player than he has become. (Could MDA's departure have also influenced Lin's decision?)

I never thought he would be a good fit with a player like Harden. He had to agree to sign the contract, though, and must have realized what Houston was doing and what the Knicks were not going to do.

Would he have done better to reject the Houston offer and play for a team where he might have had more value? We will never know.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
CrushAlot
USA
8/14/2015  12:26 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:Funny thing is that the OP constantly gets on folks who he thinks are criticizing the money certain players are making. Maybe the OP is simply jealous that Lin, whatever his NBA star status is, has made millions of dollars in the sport, and he is on the outside looking in.

I was against signing Lin to the contract Houston crafted, though who am I to begrudge Lin his gold, BUT if you look back a few years- you will find that two Knicks on that team broke the sacred rule about publicly commenting on another player's contract. One very prominent player on the Knicks called the contract "ridiculous," and another said if the Knicks signed Lin to this contract it would cause trouble in the locker room because "some guys take it personal, because they've been doing it longer and haven't received any reward for it yet. I think it's a tough subject to touch on for a lot of guys."

These comments were made during the process, by the way- at a time when the team was debating whether to sign Lin.

You can make a case that Lin made a career mistake by leaving a team with a coach who desperately needed someone like him on the team, and might have crafted him into a better player than he has become.

I never thought he would be a good fit with a player like Harden. He had to agree to sign the contract, though, and must have realized what Houston was doing and what the Knicks were not going to do.

Would he have done better to reject the Houston offer and play for a team where he might have had more value? We will never know.

Have to ask, did you watch the summer league game where Melo was interviewed in the team usa locker room and reacted to the amount of the contract? In context it wasn't what it has been made out to be in my opinion and Alan Hahn had a nice commentary on it during the game. Just curious because I haven't encountered anyone upset by those comments that was watching that game.
WaltLongmire

8/14/2015  1:37 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:Funny thing is that the OP constantly gets on folks who he thinks are criticizing the money certain players are making. Maybe the OP is simply jealous that Lin, whatever his NBA star status is, has made millions of dollars in the sport, and he is on the outside looking in.

You can make a case that Lin made a career mistake by leaving a team with a coach who desperately needed someone like him on the team, and might have crafted him into a better player than he has become.

Have to ask, did you watch the summer league game where Melo was interviewed in the team usa locker room and reacted to the amount of the contract? In context it wasn't what it has been made out to be in my opinion and Alan Hahn had a nice commentary on it during the game. Just curious because I haven't encountered anyone upset by those comments that was watching that game.

I made this response because the OP has some major issues with certain subjects and I always like to take shots at hypocrites.

I did not start a Lin thread.

Linsanity still seems to be a bone of contention for many, it would seem. You can even make a case that the MDA experiment ended with Lin's injury. I'm sure that I could find other things to bring up if I wanted to.

Did not want to mention specific names...but it was obvious, I suppose
Googled and got this: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8168386/carmelo-anthony-says-ridiculous-jeremy-lin-deal-new-york-knicks

The unwritten code is that players don't disparage other players and their contract situations, especially guys who play on their team. Their job is to play with whatever teammate their team puts on the floor with them and play with the same level of intensity, even if they are unhappy with certain things that are going on. Express your issues in private if you have to. Best rule of thumb is to ask yourself: What would Jeter say?

It is clear from the comments in the article what message certain players were trying to send to the front office- not sure I needed a Hahn to interpret anything for me.

It was good business sense for the team NOT to sign Lin to that contract...no comments were needed from non-front office "employees."

CrushAlot
USA
8/14/2015  1:55 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I made this response because the OP has some major issues with certain subjects and I always like to take shots at hypocrites.

I did not start a Lin thread.

Linsanity still seems to be a bone of contention for many, it would seem. You can even make a case that the MDA experiment ended with Lin's injury. I'm sure that I could find other things to bring up if I wanted to.

Did not want to mention specific names...but it was obvious, I suppose
Googled and got this: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8168386/carmelo-anthony-says-ridiculous-jeremy-lin-deal-new-york-knicks

The unwritten code is that players don't disparage other players and their contract situations, especially guys who play on their team. Their job is to play with whatever teammate their team puts on the floor with them and play with the same level of intensity, even if they are unhappy with certain things that are going on. Express your issues in private if you have to. Best rule of thumb is to ask yourself: What would Jeter say?

It is clear from the comments in the article what message certain players were trying to send to the front office- not sure I needed a Hahn to interpret anything for me.

It was good business sense for the team NOT to sign Lin to that contract...no comments were needed from non-front office "employees."

You absolutely don't need Alan Hahn to interpet it. But ignoring the context would be ignorant in my opinion. The guy was overseas did not know what was happening and approached in a locker room, told the numbers and asked about it. To paint it as an effort to sabotage a guy's career in a Knick uniform is wrong and agenda driven in my opinion. Maybe it suits some that are searching for reasons to not like a player or to find a place to put their anger about Lin leaving but if you saw it live I don't know how you could come away with that impression.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/14/2015  10:10 AM
holfresh wrote:
TeamBall wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Nalod wrote:
holfresh wrote:
TeamBall wrote:

Signing him in the first place was the stupid move...

With clarity of hindsight its easy to be Captain Obvious.
I took you back to what Houstan was doing at the time. Everyone knew they overpaid but the hope was he was a young player with a growing team, not a Harden and Dwight show.

Given that, his contract poison pill was unmoveable. If they Knew Harden was gonna shake loose you think they would have signed him? of course not.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/14/2015  10:39 AM
Lin was a diva without the prerequisite talent. I was as psyched as anyone else about his short term success with the Knicks, although I knew it wouldn't last. Thought he would turn into a very good player, not great, but would be good enough to be our starting PG.

People talk about Melo's obsession with branding, he had nothing on Lin. Lin wanted to get paid, no problem with that, but from all outward appearances, branding was much more of a priority than his game.

Jeremy Lin - The most overrated hype job in NY Knicks history

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy