Jeremy Lin - The most overrated hype job in NY Knicks history
Author Thread
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
8/13/2015  12:11 AM
RedmenBaller wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:Sorry Redman. I just have no tolerance for garbage posts. No hard feelings

Hmmm. But constant garbage posts about Melo which you have no problem flooding with the same
tired jargon is okay? Funny how the ones that commented negatively are the same that dish out the same nonsense on a daily basis. Thanks for making my point.

No 2 instances are the same red

AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
USA
8/13/2015  12:14 AM
And if it really bothers you red, use the ignore feature and ignore my posts
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
8/13/2015  12:16 AM
gunsnewing wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:Lin helped us make the playoffs and though short was an amazing time in Knicks basketball.

lol how quickly people forget.

We were headed for another 17win season. Another epic failure by a Melo led team. Lin turned the Knicks season completely around. We made the playoffs for only the 2nd time in over a decade. If you call making the playoffs with Marburg & Tim Thomas and getting swept and embarrassed by the Nets getting to the playoffs.

I wonder if people would still be defending Melo at every turn if Lin didn't save the season and if Melo didn't drive Mike Dantoni quit the team he spent 4 tumultuous years with thinking their would be light at the end of the tunnel

See this is why people turn on Lin due to fanatical view points like this. We were 9-15 which doesn't translate to a 17 win season. Then later on during the season after Lin got hurt, Amare got hurt, Tyson missed time, Shumpert missed time. The Melo lead team went on to win with Melo shooting off the chart level efficiency. But of course this doesn't count because we don't like Melo. Only Linsanity counts.

Lin helped us make playoffs. Doesn't mean we have to **** on everyone else in order to promote him. BTW Lin helped lead MDA to quitting as he was getting lit up by every PG he played against after our win streak. MDA may have stuck it out and we may have won a couple more games if Lin actually was able to be a positive contributor during this time frame.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
8/13/2015  12:57 AM
What was the big deal about the poison pill anyway? The Rockets were able to trade him no problem. The Lakers traded for him and survived. Mediocre players were signed for more this offseason.

I hope he can find a good situation again. He was certainly one of the most exciting players for that stretch. But fundamentally, maybe he never was quite the same after tearing cartilage in his knee that season.

Maybe he was never the same without Jared Jeffries as his pnr partner.

But players perform in the right circumstances... I can't say we won't see Linsanity again. There were still a few flashes on the Lakers this past season.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/13/2015  1:10 AM
technomaster wrote:What was the big deal about the poison pill anyway? The Rockets were able to trade him no problem. The Lakers traded for him and survived. Mediocre players were signed for more this offseason.

I hope he can find a good situation again. He was certainly one of the most exciting players for that stretch. But fundamentally, maybe he never was quite the same after tearing cartilage in his knee that season.

But players perform in the right circumstances... I can't say we won't see Linsanity again. There were still a few flashes on the Lakers this past season.

The rockets had to trade a first round pick to move him. The poison pill put the Knicks in a horrible position cap wise that would limit moves they could make and they would be taxed at an incredibly high rate (75 mil in his third year I believe was what was reported). The point of the poison pill was to prevent the Knicks from signing Lin. The Knicks and Lin made a business decision. It was the right decision for the Knicks. Lin got his money but has lost his starting job to an undrafted player and a rookie second round pick. Have to think that things would have gone better for him in ny. The Knicks didn't have cap space or picks so he wasn't going to lose his job and he was loved by the fan base. It was business though. The guy fired his agent and went with a bigger name. He sat out of usa basketball because he didn't want to jeopardize his free agency. If reports are accurate, he chose to sign the poison pill after it was reported that the Knicks would match the rockets original offer. I don't know if the last part is accurate but make no mistake, Lin wanted to get paid and he was right to want what was best for himself. I just get frustrated when other guys are painted as all about their money and Lin is painted as the team before money guy. Lin gave up his career to get paid in my opinion.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
earthmansurfer
Member: #858
Germany
8/13/2015  2:55 AM
RedmenBaller wrote:As fans tend to do....they over hype the value of every long shot to only realize a couple of years later it was just all false hype. My pick is Lin. Good thing Knicks didn't match that foolish contract offeredby Rockets.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joshbenjamin/2015/07/13/three-years-later-linsanity-is-officially-dead/

That is a pretty judgmental statement considering Lin was the high of my time as a Knick (and many a Knick fan) since the Ewing years. Even during the Ewing years, going deep into the playoffs, I NEVER experienced the nonstop excitement like I did with Lin. It was truly like a Cinderella experience. I don't think sometime like that happens again (to a "nobody" player.)

We F'd that up. We didn't communicate to him during that time and it really looked like we didn't want him back, even without the poison pill.

Sometimes people just play well in NY (or not) and I have a feeling his miracle run would have continued (if health allowed) because he embraced the city, they embraced him and he rose up here.

Hype, LOL, you got some bad memory bro.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. Albert Einstein
gunsnewing
USA
8/13/2015  3:02 AM
earthmansurfer wrote:
RedmenBaller wrote:As fans tend to do....they over hype the value of every long shot to only realize a couple of years later it was just all false hype. My pick is Lin. Good thing Knicks didn't match that foolish contract offeredby Rockets.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joshbenjamin/2015/07/13/three-years-later-linsanity-is-officially-dead/

That is a pretty judgmental statement considering Lin was the high of my time as a Knick (and many a Knick fan) since the Ewing years. Even during the Ewing years, going deep into the playoffs, I NEVER experienced the nonstop excitement like I did with Lin. It was truly like a Cinderella experience. I don't think sometime like that happens again (to a "nobody" player.)

We F'd that up. We didn't communicate to him during that time and it really looked like we didn't want him back, even without the poison pill.

Sometimes people just play well in NY (or not) and I have a feeling his miracle run would have continued (if health allowed) because he embraced the city, they embraced him and he rose up here.

Hype, LOL, you got some bad memory bro.

I noticed a lot of posters have a bad memory of Linsanity. I'd love to go back to their posts or thoughts during that once in a lifetime stretch.

This is exactly why threads like this are utter garbage. I think its disgusting how insecure some Knick fans are. To the point that they start trouble with other diehard fans with bait threads like this one. Is it really necessary to fight all the time when we are all Knick fans? I am pleading that you people learn to be more accepting of others viewpoints. You don't have to agree. Make your points. This is a discussion forum not Kim Kardasians Twitter account for crying out loud

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/13/2015  10:39 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:Lin helped us make the playoffs and though short was an amazing time in Knicks basketball.

lol how quickly people forget.

We were headed for another 17win season. Another epic failure by a Melo led team. Lin turned the Knicks season completely around. We made the playoffs for only the 2nd time in over a decade. If you call making the playoffs with Marburg & Tim Thomas and getting swept and embarrassed by the Nets getting to the playoffs.

I wonder if people would still be defending Melo at every turn if Lin didn't save the season and if Melo didn't drive Mike Dantoni quit the team he spent 4 tumultuous years with thinking their would be light at the end of the tunnel

It was great but it was the easiest part of the schedule. Knicks would have gone at least 5-2 without Lin. No way they had a 17 win season. Melo, Tyson and I believe even Amare were all healthy. They desperately needed a competent point guard especially with D'Antoni as coach. It would have been interesting to see what happened if Lin signed the original deal from the Rockets that the Knicks were going to match. He probably would have had a better career in ny.

How quickly people like to recreate history.

the Melohaters seem to love to cream over a whole two week span during the "jayvee" regular season with their favorite golden boy who couldn't show up for the playoffs that he "singlehandedly" got us to. Of course when he wasn't being embarrassed and exposed by the likes of DWill. And subsequently getting outplayed by the likes of Patrick Beverly and Toney Douglas. But never mind that.

Yeah, getting to the second round of the playoffs to get "swept" in 6 games is, of course, nothing to remember compared to:

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/13/2015  10:40 AM
RedmenBaller wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:Sorry Redman. I just have no tolerance for garbage posts. No hard feelings

Hmmm. But constant garbage posts about Melo which you have no problem flooding with the same
tired jargon is okay? Funny how the ones that commented negatively are the same that dish out the same nonsense on a daily basis. Thanks for making my point.

+1

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
8/13/2015  10:57 AM
That whole linsanity thing was a total case of perfect fit for the system. byronn scott was the complete opposite of MDA as far as system. While MDA gives his PG's free rain to run things, byron essential wants to call every play, and play a half court....

lin won't be successful in playing with guys like Melo and Harden who dominate the ball, he's not a spot up shooter, and actually needs spot up shooters around him.

I don't think it was over hype at all, just the right player in the right system, and a desperate coach who ran the kid into the ground in 3 wks. You don't go from 10 min pg to 35 mins overnight and not expect that sht to catch up.

ES
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/13/2015  11:01 AM
MDA had Lin playing like Nash and I doubt physically he could have sustained that level until his body adjusted to that kind of minutes.
The system worked because another team had to overpay if they really wanted him, so the player wins.
I don't think it was hype but just plain fun seeing this kid, with a different ethnic background from any other NBA player take the stage and kill it. He hung 38 pts on the lakers. Great fun!!!

Knicks did not match and I admit I was disappointed Linsanity ended. Perhaps with the right coach, the right system he might have been more of what he did, even if it was less than "Linsanity"

I know what I saw with my own eyes and the stats he put up. It is still the NBA and the kid was clutch!!! Humble kid who I would imagine saved a lot of what he made and is set to do some interesting things with his life if he chooses. Still, 2.5 mil per year doing what you love (if he does) is not a bad gig and is not "failing"!!!

He has made 45million dollars and did what most of us dreamed of doing as a kid on the court. "3-2-1 buzzer beater in MSG"................priceless!!!!!

TeamBall
Member: #4386

8/13/2015  11:39 AM
technomaster wrote:What was the big deal about the poison pill anyway? The Rockets were able to trade him no problem. The Lakers traded for him and survived. Mediocre players were signed for more this offseason.

I tend to agree with this but history has shown the Knicks don't (can't?) make good trades. If we retained Lin and then traded him, I'd have to believe we would have gotten fleeced.

Knicksfan: Hypocrite league that fines players after the game for flopping but in the game and with obvious flopping they call the fouls.
holfresh
Member: #1081

8/13/2015  11:43 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/13/2015  11:44 AM
TeamBall wrote:

I tend to agree with this but history has shown the Knicks don't (can't?) make good trades. If we retained Lin and then traded him, I'd have to believe we would have gotten fleeced.

If you call adding a first round pick which Houston did to be able to move Lin a "good trade" then I guess you are right..

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/13/2015  12:11 PM
holfresh wrote:
TeamBall wrote:

If you call adding a first round pick which Houston did to be able to move Lin a "good trade" then I guess you are right..

They got to conf finals. Bad trade but low pick to dump salary did not derail them as they are in "win now mode". Its a trade we could not afford to have done.
In the end the knicks made a tough decision.

Don't forget, Rockets were building a young team but got Harden AFTER signing Lin via trade. That changed the complexion of the team and Lin became a bad fit. The poison pill they put in his contract was toxic in any trade until the last year of the deal. Like I said, the rockets got to conf finals despite. Final four is not a bad season and I would imagine they were a financial success as well.

Perhaps in different scenario Lin does better? Tough to say. NBA is a tough business. No doubt Lin being who he is and the Insanity in the biggest market and a free agent all combined at the right time for him financially, but also being in the back court after trading away some good pieces/picks for Harden also had a huge effect.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

8/13/2015  12:17 PM
jrodmc wrote:
RedmenBaller wrote:

+1

+1

DLeethal wrote: Lol Rick needs a safe space
ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
8/13/2015  12:21 PM
Guys leave guns alone!

He didn't mean it...

holfresh
Member: #1081

8/13/2015  12:23 PM
Nalod wrote:
holfresh wrote:
TeamBall wrote:

They got to conf finals. Bad trade but low pick to dump salary did not derail them as they are in "win now mode". Its a trade we could not afford to have done.
In the end the knicks made a tough decision.

Don't forget, Rockets were building a young team but got Harden AFTER signing Lin via trade. That changed the complexion of the team and Lin became a bad fit. The poison pill they put in his contract was toxic in any trade until the last year of the deal. Like I said, the rockets got to conf finals despite. Final four is not a bad season and I would imagine they were a financial success as well.

Perhaps in different scenario Lin does better? Tough to say. NBA is a tough business. No doubt Lin being who he is and the Insanity in the biggest market and a free agent all combined at the right time for him financially, but also being in the back court after trading away some good pieces/picks for Harden also had a huge effect.

I'm not killing Houston for the trade..I just pointing out it wasn't without cost and the Knicks did the right thing by not matching Lin's offer..

Moonangie
Member: #2788

8/13/2015  12:48 PM
Linsanity = best Knicks experience in the post-ECF era.
blkexec
Member: #748
8/13/2015  1:18 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/13/2015  1:19 PM
It just shows you how some players excel in a system, while others don't. Linn was a perfect example of how his game fit well with MDA's system. Lets hope we have the same effect with some of the guys fitting in with Phil's triangle system.

Sometimes the right system can turn a scrub into a star......My hope is DWill.......If he plays better than expected, this team will shine. Some say it's all on the rookies, but I think if DWill plays up to his top 5 expectation, due to a triangle system that he studied growing up a Laker fan, the skies the limit. Everybody is sleeping on DWill's impact. I think his game is built for the triangle. He doesn't have to be creative. He's actually a terrible ISO player and a better system player.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/13/2015  1:26 PM
blkexec wrote:It just shows you how some players excel in a system, while others don't. Linn was a perfect example of how his game fit well with MDA's system. Lets hope we have the same effect with some of the guys fitting in with Phil's triangle system.

Sometimes the right system can turn a scrub into a star......My hope is DWill.......If he plays better than expected, this team will shine. Some say it's all on the rookies, but I think if DWill plays up to his top 5 expectation, due to a triangle system that he studied growing up a Laker fan, the skies the limit. Everybody is sleeping on DWill's impact. I think his game is built for the triangle. He doesn't have to be creative. He's actually a terrible ISO player and a better system player.

I hope you are right and good point about growing up studying the triangle.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Jeremy Lin - The most overrated hype job in NY Knicks history

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy