[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Jeremy Lin - The most overrated hype job in NY Knicks history
Author Thread
RedmenBaller
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6084

8/12/2015  9:18 PM
As fans tend to do....they over hype the value of every long shot to only realize a couple of years later it was just all false hype. My pick is Lin. Good thing Knicks didn't match that foolish contract offeredby Rockets.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joshbenjamin/2015/07/13/three-years-later-linsanity-is-officially-dead/

AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
8/12/2015  9:24 PM
Funny because it was the most fun we fans had watching the team since the Ewing Knicks after 13yrs of being a laughing stock
gunsnewing
USA
8/12/2015  9:30 PM
The only other period that rivaled all sanity was starting 18-5 the following year because of Kidd until the team unraveled because they were old and Felton went back to being Felton.

Wiukdve made a lot more sense to have kids mentor Lin than Felton. As was originally intended but oh well. Just another royal screw up in the Knicks long list of screwups. Par for the coarse for this James W. Dolan led franchise

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/12/2015  9:32 PM
Thought the last paragraph summed things up pretty well.
But Lin and his fans can take solace in the fact that, for one short month back in 2012, the man lived every young basketball player’s dream. Fans cheered his name, wore his jersey with pride, and wanted nothing more but for him to lead the team to glory. It was a short honeymoon, but one that nobody, especially Lin, will ever forget.

Loved Linsanity and really wanted Lin back but his leaving was all about business and getting the most he could off of that run.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

8/12/2015  9:33 PM
gunsnewing wrote:Funny because it was the most fun we fans had watching the team since the Ewing Knicks after 13yrs of being a laughing stock

... and of course, for the most part, it basically ended because of an injury.
EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
RedmenBaller

8/12/2015  9:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/12/2015  9:42 PM
gunsnewing wrote:The only other period that rivaled all sanity was starting 18-5 the following year because of Kidd until the team unraveled because they were old and Felton went back to being Felton.

Wiukdve made a lot more sense to have kids mentor Lin than Felton. As was originally intended but oh well. Just another royal screw up in the Knicks long list of screwups. Par for the coarse for this James W. Dolan led franchise

So you would have paid the 15 million for 3rd year that would have meant a luxury tax poison pill in exchange for one month of hype and three year bust?

gunsnewing
USA
8/12/2015  9:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/12/2015  9:46 PM
RedmenBaller wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:The only other period that rivaled all sanity was starting 18-5 the following year because of Kidd until the team unraveled because they were old and Felton went back to being Felton.

So you would have paid the 15 million for 3rd year that would have meant a luxury tax poison pill in exchange for one month of hype and a mentor?

Yes. Maybe you just became a Knick fan so incase you didn't notice we were capped out regardless during that 3rd year with Melo, Amare, Tyson's contract. And in typical knickerbocker fashion we traded a 2016 first round pick for Bargani and his contract with the money we saved by not re-signing Lin.

Any more questions?

RedmenBaller

8/12/2015  9:45 PM
Honorable mentions....Curry, Ronaldo, Jerome James.
gunsnewing
USA
8/12/2015  9:49 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/12/2015  9:51 PM
Lin excelled under the bright lights of New York. Not many players have. Of course when a player finally does succeed west him walk.

Question who would you rather have
David Lee or Amare?
Ariza or Steve Francis?
Mcdyess or Nene/Camby?

Lin or Bargnani?

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

8/12/2015  9:53 PM
Even the lin haters have to admit that linsanity was probably the most exciting thing we have had in 15 years. I had no problem letting him go BUT given the fact that the past 15 years have been miserable as a knick fan his popularity as a knick was fun to watch
RedmenBaller

8/12/2015  9:55 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/12/2015  9:55 PM
gunsnewing wrote:Lin excelled under the bright lights of New York. Not many players have. Of course when a player finally does succeed west him walk.

Question who would you rather have
David Lee or Amare?
Ariza or Steve Francis?
Mcdyess or Nene/Camby?

Lin or Bargnani?

Excelled for a month then took money and ran.

If both healthy, Stat
Ariza, better all around player.
Camby, great on defense and very active.

No Lin nor Bags. Both one dimensional.

CrushAlot
USA
8/12/2015  10:07 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:Even the lin haters have to admit that linsanity was probably the most exciting thing we have had in 15 years. I had no problem letting him go BUT given the fact that the past 15 years have been miserable as a knick fan his popularity as a knick was fun to watch
I don't think there are Lin haters. Check the board from that time. I remember watching that video of him against Wall in the summer league at least 10 times and begging for D'Antoni to give him a chance. The commotion after he signed the poison pill deal in houston, the blame that some put on others because he made a business decision for himself, and the longing for him for years after he chose to leave has tarnished his memory for me.
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
8/12/2015  10:16 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:Even the lin haters have to admit that linsanity was probably the most exciting thing we have had in 15 years. I had no problem letting him go BUT given the fact that the past 15 years have been miserable as a knick fan his popularity as a knick was fun to watch
I don't think there are Lin haters. Check the board from that time. I remember watching that video of him against Wall in the summer league at least 10 times and begging for D'Antoni to give him a chance. The commotion after he signed the poison pill deal in houston, the blame that some put on others because he made a business decision for himself, and the longing for him for years after he chose to leave has tarnished his memory for me.

Money or not Lin was not a feet for NY.
He is not some great player but he is also not a clown.
Knicks were looking for clowns to entertain the crowd.
Lin was looking to play the game. Bad much at a time.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
RedmenBaller

8/12/2015  10:17 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
RedmenBaller wrote:

So you would have paid the 15 million for 3rd year that would have meant a luxury tax poison pill in exchange for one month of hype and a mentor?

Yes. Maybe you just became a Knick fan so incase you didn't notice we were capped out regardless during that 3rd year with Melo, Amare, Tyson's contract. And in typical knickerbocker fashion we traded a 2016 first round pick for Bargani and his contract with the money we saved by not re-signing Lin.

Any more questions?

The ole "Maybe you just became a Knick Fan" line to be the Pompass ass of a board. Maybe you just became a basketball fan as you suggest we should have kept him and overpaid due to his one month of performance. As he proved in Houston and LA the idiots that banked on the same short sighted evaluation and hype learned the hard way that He was just another mediocre player. Sounds to me you were knee deep in the over hyped hysteria and probable still are. Any more questions?

RedmenBaller

8/12/2015  10:49 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
RedmenBaller wrote:As fans tend to do....they over hype the value of every long shot to only realize a couple of years later it was just all false hype. My pick is Lin. Good thing Knicks didn't match that foolish contract offeredby Rockets.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joshbenjamin/2015/07/13/three-years-later-linsanity-is-officially-dead/

Next time, try better bait.

http://www.interbasket.net/news/8298/2012/02/quotestweets-about-jeremy-lin-by-nba-players/

(Lin’s) not a fluke. Just the confidence he plays with, the pace, the understanding of the game. You can tell when a guy isn’t really that skilled but is just having a good stretch. This guy is skilled.” –Tyson Chandler after the Knicks’ win over the Washington Wizards.

“(Lin’s) got these moves—he’s so fast and he’s not playing high, he’s playing so low that he’s attacking your knees with this dribble. It’s in a place where as soon as you make a move he just blows past you. To be that low, to have it that far out with your arms, it’s pretty rare. I’ve never seen it.”—Iman Shumpertsaid of teammate Lin.

“(Jeremy Lin) does what needs to be done. If they need scoring, he provides that. He’s very unselfish, once he gets inside he’s looking to pass the ball. but when there’s an opportunity to let him score he’s doing that as well. He’s just unflappable. It’s amazing that a guy has no experience, coing into the NBA been cut by 3 or 4 teams that he can fnd his niche seemingly overnight. and how he’s rejuvenated this franchise.” —Walt Frazier, former Knick and NBA Hall-of-Famer

“Its crazy! I’m watching Linsanity hoping every shot goes in. Hope I never grow up.” —Steve Nash via Twitter.

“Players don’t usually come out of nowhere. If you can go back and take a look, his skill level was probably there from the beginning, but no one ever noticed.” —Kobe Bryant

“We should have kept [Lin]. Did not know he was this good. Anyone who says they knew misleading U.” —Daryl Morey, Houston Rockets GM on Twitter.

“I think it’s a great story. It’s a testament to perseverance and hard work, and I think a good example for kids everywhere.” —Kobe Bryant after Lin outscored him 38-31 in a Knicks win.

“Lin is the real deal. He’s the true point guard the Knicks haven’t had in years. He’s the guy the Knicks have needed all along.” —Bernard King, New York Knicks Legend.

“My God, he’s a tremendous player.” —Jerry West, NBA Hall-of-Famer

“He just seems to be stronger as the game goes on and he’s making the plays down the stretch. I’ve been really impressed with his stamina and it’s a testmament to his conditioning that he stayed in shape and he stayed ready mentally for when this opportunity arrived. Jeremy Lin is a very talented player that is being discovered right now. This isn’t a fluke. This kid can play. And he is going to get more confident.” —Tim Legler, former NBA player/ESPN analyst

“I knew him before he was Linmania. He’s still the same humble guy. The guy has not changed a bit, which is real special for a young man.” — Keith Smart, Sacramento Kings coach

“He’s incredible. He’s the sweetest guy in the world, totally humble. He’s young and hasn’t been here long, but he already knows our game, knows the team, inside out. We love him.” –Steve Novak, Knicks teammate

“He’s scored a lot of points, has a lot of assists, but more so than anything else, he’s given the team a real leader. That’s the real thing that they had been lacking so far in this season.” —Earl Monroe, former Knick great

“Jeremy doesn’t need all this attention from everybody. He’ll give you the clothes off his back. And that’s what makes him a rock star.” –Iman Schumpert, NY Knicks teammate

“(Lin’s) taking a beating, but he’s like a clock, he just keeps on ticking. He never gets frustrated, he just gets up and makes plays. It’s not about where he went to school, it’s about what’s inside his heart, and he’s shown that. He’s bringing passion for basketball back to the city of New York.” —Charles Oakley, former Knick/Chicago Bulls player

“It’s great for the league, so you’ve got to love it. And Jeremy Lin is a great kid, so I’m happy for him.” –Mark Cuban

“Everyone should be a believer in@Jlin7 after his shot to win the game tonight.” –Magic Johnson via Twitter after Jeremy Lin’s game winner against the Raptors.

“He’s a good player; it’s really that simple.” —Metta World Peace

“Jeremy Lin reminds me so much of Walt Frazier. It’s how Jeremy controls the game, gets the ball to the right people for easy baskets, the lobs he’s throwing to Tyson Chandler — it all reminds me of Clyde. People said Dave DeBusschere was our missing piece, and he was, but to me the biggest thing we did was make Clyde a starter and give him the ball.” — Willis Reed, former NY Knick and NBA Hall-of-Famer

“His basketball IQ, his ability to know what play to run, what pass to make, how to run the pick-and-roll or a stutter-step to hold the defense, that’s stuff you can’t teach. He’s also got that swagger and that confidence that you need to be successful on the basketball court.”
- Magic Johnson

The great thing about Linsanity is that, it kind of reminds you of how fun the game should be. For some of us that have been playing for a long time, it’s just the one second you take the game for granted, it makes you realize how much fun the game is.
- Alex Rodriguez, New York Yankees

Another hype victim? The Best Bait would be no team offering much for the failed hype. Or the 33% from three averaged last 3 years. Or the bench role given to a guy making 15 million. Say the name Jeremy Lin. Tell me the word bust does not immediately come out of your mouth. Wait, we are arguing that there needs to be data to prove Lin is a bust? Lmao

gunsnewing
USA
8/12/2015  11:32 PM
Sorry Redman. I just have no tolerance for garbage posts. No hard feelings
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
8/12/2015  11:41 PM
Lin helped us make the playoffs and though short was an amazing time in Knicks basketball.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
gunsnewing
USA
8/12/2015  11:48 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:Lin helped us make the playoffs and though short was an amazing time in Knicks basketball.

lol how quickly people forget.

We were headed for another 17win season. Another epic failure by a Melo led team. Lin turned the Knicks season completely around. We made the playoffs for only the 2nd time in over a decade. If you call making the playoffs with Marburg & Tim Thomas and getting swept and embarrassed by the Nets getting to the playoffs.

I wonder if people would still be defending Melo at every turn if Lin didn't save the season and if Melo didn't drive Mike Dantoni quit the team he spent 4 tumultuous years with thinking their would be light at the end of the tunnel

CrushAlot
USA
8/12/2015  11:53 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:Lin helped us make the playoffs and though short was an amazing time in Knicks basketball.

lol how quickly people forget.

We were headed for another 17win season. Another epic failure by a Melo led team. Lin turned the Knicks season completely around. We made the playoffs for only the 2nd time in over a decade. If you call making the playoffs with Marburg & Tim Thomas and getting swept and embarrassed by the Nets getting to the playoffs.

I wonder if people would still be defending Melo at every turn if Lin didn't save the season and if Melo didn't drive Mike Dantoni quit the team he spent 4 tumultuous years with thinking their would be light at the end of the tunnel

It was great but it was the easiest part of the schedule. Knicks would have gone at least 5-2 without Lin. No way they had a 17 win season. Melo, Tyson and I believe even Amare were all healthy. They desperately needed a competent point guard especially with D'Antoni as coach. It would have been interesting to see what happened if Lin signed the original deal from the Rockets that the Knicks were going to match. He probably would have had a better career in ny.
RedmenBaller

8/12/2015  11:57 PM
gunsnewing wrote:Sorry Redman. I just have no tolerance for garbage posts. No hard feelings

Hmmm. But constant garbage posts about Melo which you have no problem flooding with the same
tired jargon is okay? Funny how the ones that commented negatively are the same that dish out the same nonsense on a daily basis. Thanks for making my point.

Jeremy Lin - The most overrated hype job in NY Knicks history

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy