[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Should Ariza have been the 1st overall pick in the draft?
Author Thread
flex
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #441
7/13/2004  4:03 PM
Thats what it sounds like from you guys that have NBA TV.
AUTOADVERT
PhilinLA
Member: #696
7/13/2004  4:04 PM
Maybe if he came out as a junior
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
mintyfreshness33
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #586
USA
7/13/2004  4:07 PM
no
Ira
Member: #91
7/13/2004  4:11 PM
Very funny thread. Sports fans have always been guilty of exaggeration.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
7/13/2004  4:23 PM
it may be an exaggeration but don't be suprised if he turns out to be the best player in this draft...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
7/13/2004  4:26 PM
Seriously! Ariza might turn out to be decent, but lets see what he does against real NBA players - I dont doubt he has skills but its not like he is going up against elite competition here.

The way he has been described, TT should be sitting on the bench by December - now is that reality?
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/13/2004  4:32 PM
Well, he was believed to be a possible lottery pick in a couple of years if he had waited to declare, so the kid has talent and potential. And for a deep second round pick, to play that well, its a nice thing. Who knows if he will become something very special.
Knicks_Fan
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
7/13/2004  4:34 PM
Well... in almost every draft class, there are 2nd round picks and undrafted FAs that surprise everyone.

What do you think of these two guys:
Marquis Daniels - surprising performance last year, now owns a big contract, athletic wing who just seems to have "it"
Stephen Jackson - perhaps a similar player to Ariza, a guy who developed an outside touch over time and was pivotal to the Spurs championship just a year ago.

If he steps in, wrestles away the starting SF role away (I'm sure TT will tell the press, "coach says I could be 6th man of the year as a PF..."), averages 16ppg/6rpg/2spg, he'd have a shot at ROY... and we'd have done an excellent job scouting.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
s3231
Member: #544
USA
7/13/2004  4:39 PM
Fans have to understand that Ariza has been playing great but he has only played 2 summer league games. No doubt in my mind that Ariza has the right tools to excel in the NBA, but its still way too early to tell if he will be a good player in the league.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
mintyfreshness33
Member: #586
USA
7/13/2004  4:39 PM
im hopin ariza can become like 'shard, cuz they are quite similar in stature nd both were drafted in 2nd round.
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/13/2004  4:52 PM
People, let the guy breathe. He is just starting his NBA career and has only played two summer league games. He hasn't even signed a contract yet. He is just a talented kid who will take advantage of everything and learn to someday be a very good player.

Its not like he can't be a good contributor this season. But we have to remember that he is a rookie who, even with talent, will need time to grow and get better; learn the league. In a veteran team that expects to be in the playoffs we can't expect him to do something now. Who knows, it wouldn't be the first time, but still its not likely.

Can he become a very good player in the future? It looks like he has the talent and the potential, so it depends on him learning everyday and us not pushing him to be something now. I prefer to see him learn a lot and then show us his game later than throwing him to the fire now without the need. He is here to learn and transform his potential into reality in some years. Just that. Anything else is a bonus.
Knicks_Fan
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
7/13/2004  5:07 PM
Top ten.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/13/2004  5:28 PM
imho, ariza has played very well and looks very much like a player who can ALREADY play in the back end of the rotation. there is NO doubt he is a first round talent BUT from what I have seen , he will need a lot of work on his shooting BUt it appears from looking at his free throw form that he will do it. Hes very long athletic and has skills that surpass what most knick fans are accustomed to. There is no question in my mind he wouldve been a lottery pick or close to it with a gradual improvement at UCLA in his sophmore year. although raw, it enhances our team to find a player like this. he is NOT Tim Thomas YET but i think within two years he will be a BETTER two-way player which is great because TT's contract runs dry. like it or not, each year 2-3 players fom the second round really stick out as a higher caliber talent than many first rounders, likely bypassed by foreign hype oe a HS player. Ariza fell in between what someone thinks the potential of a HS player is and what a fully developed college player brings.

He's tough he's long athletic and very skilled--if he works hard he will not only start in the nBA he will be a very very good player.

To bad we gave up Lampe, if we just were able to keep lampe wed have lampe sweetney williams and ariza C PF SF PG--so we have to be smart with what we have. until ariza signs a contract, he can also be gonzo unfortunately.
RIP Crushalot😞
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/13/2004  5:42 PM
Ariza is making Lampe look like pure **** right now!
RonRon
Member: #246
7/13/2004  5:43 PM
get it over ur head, LAMPE sux. He can shoot for a big man. But we dont need anymore defensive liabilities. His foot speed is just too slow for this game and we dont have the defensive players to hide his liablities neither. He still cant be defined as a 3/4/5.

He has upside but he doesnt deserve any minutes on our roster which makes him quite useless. Hes far from a dirk. Ariza has a great running game/ high basketball iq/ and tough attitude. I think he would develop but he will be at the end of our rotations till atleast half the year. Hes a first round pick and will be known as one of the steals in the draft.

Btw, my words might be a little biased, i am a knick fan and ariza will be a knick so....
RonRon
7/13/2004  5:48 PM
Upside comparison: I would compare him with ginobili(without the shot now)/ prince. A big part of this would be gaining pds, adapting to the changes of his body and vs nba competition
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/13/2004  5:49 PM
haven't seen Ariza play yet, but is he a poor man's Richard Jefferson at this point? Lots of athletic ability and who just needs to work on his shot?

Or is he more in the mold of Scottie Pippen... a Point Small Forward?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
RonRon
7/13/2004  6:08 PM
the problem is right now I dont think hes even 200 pds...if so barely. Hes listed at 6f 9 but barely 200pds. What I like about him right now his his open court game. He mixes it very well with his basketball iq and athleticism.

thers a little odom in him too if he can get bigger because of his passing abilitiy...
ginobili/prince/odom

jefferson came in the league quite developed physically but ariza isnt. He is still a project but with his skills, he can develop into a great running mate.
RonRon
7/13/2004  6:38 PM
dont be suprised to see ariza coming in to play defense for houston in the final seconds if needed. He might be a little small for a SF but he will not have much problems with a majority of the SGs out there.
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
7/13/2004  10:07 PM
from what I saw in the first half, Ariza has a lot of court savy and poise for a 19 year old kid. He has nice handles and great athleticism. This pick COULD become one of the best picks in NYs recent history since Patrick!

He needs to make the team and he needs to play. His outside shot is suspect but he doesnt really play outside, so.....he will need to develop it and put on some muscle. Long arms and smart play.
Should Ariza have been the 1st overall pick in the draft?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy