Member: #3806
USA
8/4/2015  9:31 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:Yes, Knicks1248. In conclusion Melo dug his own grave by re signing for the max with the Knicks knowing the roster was in Flux. There are no guarantees in free agency, and no one is knocking down doors to play with Melo as the alpha.

If he truly wanted to compete for a ring, he should've took less in Chi or Houston.

His chances weren't that better than they would have been here, because it wasn't about just taken less money, it was about losing have of their important role players, similar to what happen when he got here.

NO way in hell (in today's NBA) do i take less money, unless i'm the missing piece, with Rose and Noah consistently getting hurt, he may have ended up shouldering the load, and harden, Howard, and melo one the same team seems stupid.

Last off season, every media outlet had melo going to the bulls, and how wrong were they, that's why the silly media reports about him being upset at phils move, is pure speculation.

Duncan took less money several times. Lebron took less to play in Miami. Kobe is just greedy prik.

do we really have to bring up 36 yr old ducan taking less $ or labron hooking up with(already on board)wade and bosh.

You really think melo wouldn't have taken less if labron and bosh told him they wanted to play with the knicks. Phil had enough cap to sign a major FA and not one showed any real interest.

If melo would have sign for 7 million less, the most we would have gotten this off season would have been shved, Jason smith and ndour, and they don't exactly thrust us in to contenders.

Dirk Nowitzki as well:

http://www.businessinsider.com/dirk-nowitzki-lowest-paid-mavericks-starter-2014-12

Nowitzki is 37. Guys under 35 don't do it. LeBron in Miami netted the same as Melo taking less because he didn't have to pay city and state income tax.

Different sport, but same result:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2013/02/25/tom-brady-extension/1947313/

Please tell me age has something to do with Tom Brady.

AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
8/4/2015  9:35 AM
ChuckBuck wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:Yes, Knicks1248. In conclusion Melo dug his own grave by re signing for the max with the Knicks knowing the roster was in Flux. There are no guarantees in free agency, and no one is knocking down doors to play with Melo as the alpha.

If he truly wanted to compete for a ring, he should've took less in Chi or Houston.

His chances weren't that better than they would have been here, because it wasn't about just taken less money, it was about losing have of their important role players, similar to what happen when he got here.

NO way in hell (in today's NBA) do i take less money, unless i'm the missing piece, with Rose and Noah consistently getting hurt, he may have ended up shouldering the load, and harden, Howard, and melo one the same team seems stupid.

Last off season, every media outlet had melo going to the bulls, and how wrong were they, that's why the silly media reports about him being upset at phils move, is pure speculation.

Duncan took less money several times. Lebron took less to play in Miami. Kobe is just greedy prik.

do we really have to bring up 36 yr old ducan taking less $ or labron hooking up with(already on board)wade and bosh.

You really think melo wouldn't have taken less if labron and bosh told him they wanted to play with the knicks. Phil had enough cap to sign a major FA and not one showed any real interest.

If melo would have sign for 7 million less, the most we would have gotten this off season would have been shved, Jason smith and ndour, and they don't exactly thrust us in to contenders.

Dirk Nowitzki as well:

http://www.businessinsider.com/dirk-nowitzki-lowest-paid-mavericks-starter-2014-12

Nowitzki is 37. Guys under 35 don't do it. LeBron in Miami netted the same as Melo taking less because he didn't have to pay city and state income tax.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2013/02/25/tom-brady-extension/1947313/

It is a totally different sport and a totally different cba. Superstars in the nba don't take the pay cuts until they hit 35+.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
USA
8/4/2015  9:36 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Dirk Nowitzki as well:

It is a totally different sport and a totally different cba. Superstars in the nba don't take the pay cuts until they hit 35+.

David West, 34:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/7/6/8819331/david-west-spurs-nba-free-agency-2015

CrushAlot
USA
8/4/2015  9:39 AM
ChuckBuck wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Dirk Nowitzki as well:

David West, 34:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/7/6/8819331/david-west-spurs-nba-free-agency-2015

I think he is the only one but he was never a max guy.
SwishAndDish13
Member: #5700

8/4/2015  9:42 AM
ChuckBuck wrote:
Papabear wrote:

Papabear Says

Maybe he dosen't want a ring maybe he just want to get paid. How many guys who won championship rings had to sell them just to get by. Melo will be a hall of famer. This team will not grow until Phil Jackson leaves town. Two players we could have had this season really got insulted by Jackson's trying to let people think its about him.

Or maybe, players didn't want to take less money to play with Melo...

Sounds pretty logical.

There weren't really superstars available this summer except LMA. Who took less money other than West this summer. Players were actually taking more than ever. Phil chose not to overspend. That is Phil's decision, not Melo's. It may be disappointing, but directly blaming Melo for anything this offseason is beyond a stretch.

SwishAndDish13

8/4/2015  9:46 AM
ChuckBuck wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Many articles were already written on this. LeBron pulled the wool over people's eyes. I don't think it was a factor but he got MORE money than if he said it Cleveland by going to Miami the first couple years and basically washed out over the course of the deal when he opted out. What he did bares no resemblance to what Dancan did. Apples to cinder blocks comparison.

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
8/4/2015  9:50 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/4/2015  9:51 AM
Players take less money to play in franchises with proven winning track records. There is no player who took less money to play for a franchise that has been in the gutter for close to 15yrs in HOPE that they turn it around. All players that took less money did so with proven winner or all ready established winning teams. What was asked of Carmelo Anthony is not comparable to any player in the league since nobody else has done so.

When a Duncan or Dirk or Lebron decide to sign to a team like the Denver Nuggets while taking less money in hopes that they build a championship team around them. Then we could talk.

Amare didn't take less so we could add more players when we signed him. Tyson didn't take less money when we amnestied Billups so we could sign him.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
ChuckBuck
USA
8/4/2015  9:53 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Dirk Nowitzki as well:

David West, 34:

Magic Johnson took a pay cut after winning an MVP:

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-09-26/sports/sp-1283_1_magic-johnson

holfresh
Member: #1081

8/4/2015  9:54 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/4/2015  9:55 AM
Melo took less money...Didn't he give up 2 mil per?
ChuckBuck
USA
8/4/2015  9:55 AM
holfresh wrote:Melo took less money...Didn't he give up 2 mil per?

He didn't take a pay cut though. He actually got a raise.

CrushAlot
USA
8/4/2015  9:56 AM
ChuckBuck wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Dirk Nowitzki as well:

David West, 34:

One guy 25 years ago. If you go back that far there maybe others. Shouldn't Melo be compared to his peers working under the same labor agreement?
SwishAndDish13

8/4/2015  10:01 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Dirk Nowitzki as well:

David West, 34:

One guy 25 years ago. If you go back that far there maybe others. Shouldn't Melo be compared to his peers working under the same labor agreement?

Of course comparing to peers would make more sense. Johnson also spent around half a decade before taking the paycut moving in the top 3 for highest paid players in the league. Also the cut moved him to 11th in terms of highest paid player. That said, still an impressive find. Digging deep into the history books, googling for hours to find one example.

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
8/4/2015  10:02 AM
Melo took money he was given by Dolan.
If Knicks will give him less he may take less or go and find some other team.
Melo has NOTHING to do with what he get.
Melo is like contractor track. Some used to carry the bricks and some to show up.
Melo was used a little bit for both.
I think MSG get a good profit from this investment and will continue getting more.
If he will want to go its fine too - team will get other assets.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
ChuckBuck
USA
8/4/2015  10:04 AM
Just gave Nowitzki, Duncan, West, Lebron already. If you want to throw fringe guys like Lin, Granger, or Amare be my guest.

Doesn't change the narrative. Melo took the money instead of seeking a winner. SO he skimmed $5mill of $129m to end up $124...he's still getting a pay increase, not a pay cut from his last contract.

Greedy like Kobe...but at least Kobe has 5 rings to show for his asshattery.

holfresh

8/4/2015  10:08 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/4/2015  10:10 AM
ChuckBuck wrote:

He didn't take a pay cut though. He actually got a raise.

Pay cut versus taking less is a trivial matter...The fact is he helped the team by taking less money that he could have earned...You can add anther player with that money..

mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

8/4/2015  10:08 AM

thought it was 1 million per.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
ChuckBuck
USA
8/4/2015  10:11 AM
mreinman wrote:

Yup, averages to $1m per year less off a total $124m contract.

Ridiculous. But at least he'll be a bargain when the cap explodes! (end sarcasm)

holfresh

8/4/2015  10:12 AM
mreinman wrote:

Just look it up, its actually 1.3 mil per...Still can add a player with that..
SwishAndDish13

8/4/2015  10:14 AM
ChuckBuck wrote:Just gave Nowitzki, Duncan, West, Lebron already. If you want to throw fringe guys like Lin, Granger, or Amare be my guest.

Doesn't change the narrative. Melo took the money instead of seeking a winner. SO he skimmed $5mill of $129m to end up $124...he's still getting a pay increase, not a pay cut from his last contract.

We get that you don't like Melo but LeBron is not an example of taking less. He never has and never will. In addition he continues to give himself one yr opt-outs which is smart for him but holds the Cavs hostage. I doubt he will but he can up and leave them with all those crazy deals they signed everybody else too. In addition, he has made it clear he will take the max every yr.

ChuckBuck
USA
8/4/2015  10:31 AM
SwishAndDish13 wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:Just gave Nowitzki, Duncan, West, Lebron already. If you want to throw fringe guys like Lin, Granger, or Amare be my guest.

We get that you don't like Melo but LeBron is not an example of taking less. He never has and never will. In addition he continues to give himself one yr opt-outs which is smart for him but holds the Cavs hostage. I doubt he will but he can up and leave them with all those crazy deals they signed everybody else too. In addition, he has made it clear he will take the max every yr.

Lebron went from $17m in Cleveland to $14.5m in Miami:

https://web.archive.org/web/20101125215036/http://hoopshype.com/salaries/miami.htm

Even Clyde mentions the inevitable

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy