Even Clyde mentions the inevitable
Author Thread
ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
8/3/2015  1:39 PM
Melo, get the steppin'!

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-knicks/post/_/id/62787/clyde-on-carmelo-will-he-ask-out

If you’re a New York Knicks fan, you probably know some of Walt "Clyde" Frazier’s best lines by heart.

“Swishing and dishing.” “Movin’ and groovin’.” “Shaking and baking.” “Spinning and winning.” “Posting and toasting.”

One of Frazier’s better lines wasn’t delivered on an MSG telecast. It was in a commercial for the Just For Men hair-coloring line.

“No play for Mr. Gray.”

Frazier delivered the line in an ad with Mets announcer Keith Hernandez. The duo announced on Monday that they are back together for a new campaign for Just For Men that includes a contest on social media to find the best facial hair.

So Frazier took a few minutes to answer some questions about facial hair and the Knicks (and yes, we asked about Mike Woodson’s goatee).

Q: Who has the best facial hair on the Knicks?

A: “I'm trying to think, man. Maybe Melo? It would have been J.R. [Smith] but he's gone now. So I think maybe Melo tries to grow a little."

Q: Did you help Mike Woodson with his impeccable goatee?

A: Woody had it going on. Always well-groomed, colored. That's what we're looking for with this contest. We do a lot of stuff like that so it's going to be fun. [We'll be judging] the creativity, the stylistic ways that people grow beards.”

Q: What did you think of what the Knicks did this offseason?

A: I think $30 million obviously doesn't get you what it used to. So I think they did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. So they had an option: try to get superstars or try to build like Atlanta has done without superstars -- like Toronto, like Washington. Some teams in the Eastern Conference have had success with that. So I think that's what their game plan is right now: Try to get some good players and then maybe later on try to get a superstar.

Q: The Knicks drafted Kristaps Porzingis, a guy who is a couple years away from being able to help you win night in and night out. Then there's Carmelo Anthony, who is 31 and here for another four years. How does he fit in because it seems like they are looking at a future that might not fit within his window?

A: I'm sure Melo wasn't happy. His future is now. You know, he’s not getting younger. This is going to be a pivotal season for him to see really how he fits into the Knick plans and how this is going to go from here. Will he ask out, you know what I mean, if he sees that this is not happening? Because right now the Knicks, [it's] going to be tough to make the playoffs. They are a few years away and Melo knows that his days are numbered, so stay tuned.

Q: What did you see, if anything, that was different about the Knicks' offense during the summer league compared to what you saw last season?

A: Sometimes in summer league they weren’t using the triangle and they seemed to have better continuity. When they go to the triangle they seem to be more methodical, apprehensive. So that’s what the coaching staff has got to work out.

Q: Do you think that sticking solely with the triangle, as the Knicks did last year, would work if they weren’t as methodical or do you think it’s wise to work in some pick and roll to speed things up?

A: You’ve got to have versatility, especially with the guys that they have. They’re not as adept as the guys Jackson has had in the past. If that’s not working, you’ve got to go to Plan B.

Q: What did you think of Knicks rookie Jerian Grant in summer league?

A: Initially, I didn’t like the [Tim] Hardaway trade. But now because of the acquisition of Grant, [I liked it]. You’ve got to give to get and we definitely needed a point guard so I think that was a good move.

Q: Can Grant be a solid contributor, a regular rotation guy as a rookie?

A: I think he’s going to start for the Knicks. It’s inevitable.

Love that Clyde always calls it as he sees it. Dolan can't muzzle this guy!

AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
8/3/2015  2:14 PM
This was on of the worst interviews I have ever read from clyde, it reads more like a fan than a person who's knee deep in the organization. He's had very few relationships with any of the players, and i believe he said galloway was one of the only few players that has ever reached out to him for advise.

It amazes me every time i think about how clyde was never offered some kind of role with any coaching staff that has worked for MSG.

my first wk of posting on this board over 10 yrs ago, was why clyde was never giving an opportunity to coach, even if he's not considered a great coach, he can surely teach fundamentals.

Im telling you, something is wrong with this picture. Why would a guy who was the center of 2 championships, and played the game almost flawlessly, not be part of a developing program.

ES
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
8/3/2015  2:18 PM
I like that he sees Grant as a starter. Not much else there though. Definitely didn't go anywhere near a topic where he would need to be muzzled in my opinion.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
8/3/2015  2:51 PM
CrushAlot wrote:I like that he sees Grant as a starter. Not much else there though. Definitely didn't go anywhere near a topic where he would need to be muzzled in my opinion.

Yeah I think he might see Jerian as a guy who has the game we need at the position. IMO we know Clyde isn't about to be a controversial guy. He's comfortable in his job and I say why rock the boat? He's too old to be making waves. I think he speaks his mind enough and self censors any really harsh things most of the time. But if you listen to him during the season he does get on the team and coaches when he disagrees with what he's seeing.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
8/3/2015  3:13 PM
The Melo question is there plain as day for everyone to see.
¿ △ ?
knicks1248
8/3/2015  4:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/3/2015  4:11 PM
crzymdups wrote:The Melo question is there plain as day for everyone to see.

I think it's a very stupid question because phil didn't promise melo he would bring in another super star this off season, there's no way he could have promise that, and i don't think melo is dumb enough to believe it even if he did say that.

All he had to do is look in the mirror, how many teams did he blow off to remain with the knicks, so he had to believe that it was very possible that other FA would do the same, which primarily they did. Even if he got greg monroe for 15 per, that would have left very little money to fill out the rest of the roster

It's like so lame to think we all know what the guy is thinking, like he wants to run around the league like CHARLES BARKLEY or D HOWARD chasing a ring with some team that has talent and no brains

ES
ChuckBuck
USA
8/3/2015  5:50 PM
Yes, Knicks1248. In conclusion Melo dug his own grave by re signing for the max with the Knicks knowing the roster was in Flux. There are no guarantees in free agency, and no one is knocking down doors to play with Melo as the alpha.

If he truly wanted to compete for a ring, he should've took less in Chi or Houston.

Papabear
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1414

8/3/2015  6:45 PM
ChuckBuck wrote:Yes, Knicks1248. In conclusion Melo dug his own grave by re signing for the max with the Knicks knowing the roster was in Flux. There are no guarantees in free agency, and no one is knocking down doors to play with Melo as the alpha.

If he truly wanted to compete for a ring, he should've took less in Chi or Houston.

Papabear Says

Maybe he dosen't want a ring maybe he just want to get paid. How many guys who won championship rings had to sell them just to get by. Melo will be a hall of famer. This team will not grow until Phil Jackson leaves town. Two players we could have had this season really got insulted by Jackson's trying to let people think its about him.

Papabear
knicks1248
8/3/2015  8:27 PM
ChuckBuck wrote:Yes, Knicks1248. In conclusion Melo dug his own grave by re signing for the max with the Knicks knowing the roster was in Flux. There are no guarantees in free agency, and no one is knocking down doors to play with Melo as the alpha.

His chances weren't that better than they would have been here, because it wasn't about just taken less money, it was about losing have of their important role players, similar to what happen when he got here.

NO way in hell (in today's NBA) do i take less money, unless i'm the missing piece, with Rose and Noah consistently getting hurt, he may have ended up shouldering the load, and harden, Howard, and melo one the same team seems stupid.

Last off season, every media outlet had melo going to the bulls, and how wrong were they, that's why the silly media reports about him being upset at phils move, is pure speculation.

ES
holfresh
Member: #1081

8/3/2015  8:40 PM
You gotta love Clyde...

Q: What did you think of what the Knicks did this offseason?

A: I think $30 million obviously doesn't get you what it used to.
mreinman
Member: #3189

8/3/2015  9:34 PM
clyde is now a douche

awesome!

so here is what phil is thinking ....
wh4t
Member: #6039
USA
8/3/2015  11:02 PM
Clyde tells it like it is. He doesn't sugarcoat anything. Personally, i think if Krispy ends up being a bust, melo waiving that no trade clause.
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

8/3/2015  11:12 PM
Ahhhhh...now I see what this thread is about.

I know that Walt is an intelligent man with many interests...I thought this was about speculating on the eventual destruction of mankind billions of years from now:

All stars die, some more violently than others.

Once our own Sun has consumed all the hydrogen fuel in its core, it too will reach the end of its life. Astronomers estimate this to be a short 7 billion years from now. For a few million years, it will expand into a red giant, puffing away its outer layers. Then it’ll collapse down into a white dwarf and slowly cool down to the background temperature of the Universe.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
ChuckBuck
USA
8/4/2015  8:11 AM
Papabear wrote:

Papabear Says

Maybe he dosen't want a ring maybe he just want to get paid. How many guys who won championship rings had to sell them just to get by. Melo will be a hall of famer. This team will not grow until Phil Jackson leaves town. Two players we could have had this season really got insulted by Jackson's trying to let people think its about him.

Or maybe, players didn't want to take less money to play with Melo...

Sounds pretty logical.

ChuckBuck
USA
8/4/2015  8:12 AM
knicks1248 wrote:

His chances weren't that better than they would have been here, because it wasn't about just taken less money, it was about losing have of their important role players, similar to what happen when he got here.

NO way in hell (in today's NBA) do i take less money, unless i'm the missing piece, with Rose and Noah consistently getting hurt, he may have ended up shouldering the load, and harden, Howard, and melo one the same team seems stupid.

Last off season, every media outlet had melo going to the bulls, and how wrong were they, that's why the silly media reports about him being upset at phils move, is pure speculation.

Duncan took less money several times. Lebron took less to play in Miami. Kobe is just greedy prik.

ChuckBuck
USA
8/4/2015  8:14 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:Ahhhhh...now I see what this thread is about.

I know that Walt is an intelligent man with many interests...I thought this was about speculating on the eventual destruction of mankind billions of years from now:

All stars die, some more violently than others.

Once our own Sun has consumed all the hydrogen fuel in its core, it too will reach the end of its life. Astronomers estimate this to be a short 7 billion years from now. For a few million years, it will expand into a red giant, puffing away its outer layers. Then it’ll collapse down into a white dwarf and slowly cool down to the background temperature of the Universe.

Exactly Walt! You read the other Walt perfectly.

All stars do die...hopefully our star leaves for greener pastures elsewhere before he corrupts our future supernovas.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/4/2015  8:16 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/4/2015  8:17 AM
I don't like how they got clyde name out there. Let the OG be
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
knicks1248
8/4/2015  8:48 AM
ChuckBuck wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Duncan took less money several times. Lebron took less to play in Miami. Kobe is just greedy prik.

do we really have to bring up 36 yr old ducan taking less $ or labron hooking up with(already on board)wade and bosh.

You really think melo wouldn't have taken less if labron and bosh told him they wanted to play with the knicks. Phil had enough cap to sign a major FA and not one showed any real interest.

If melo would have sign for 7 million less, the most we would have gotten this off season would have been shved, Jason smith and ndour, and they don't exactly thrust us in to contenders.

ES
ChuckBuck
USA
8/4/2015  8:53 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

do we really have to bring up 36 yr old ducan taking less $ or labron hooking up with(already on board)wade and bosh.

You really think melo wouldn't have taken less if labron and bosh told him they wanted to play with the knicks. Phil had enough cap to sign a major FA and not one showed any real interest.

If melo would have sign for 7 million less, the most we would have gotten this off season would have been shved, Jason smith and ndour, and they don't exactly thrust us in to contenders.

Dirk Nowitzki as well:

http://www.businessinsider.com/dirk-nowitzki-lowest-paid-mavericks-starter-2014-12

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/4/2015  9:08 AM
ChuckBuck wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Dirk Nowitzki as well:

http://www.businessinsider.com/dirk-nowitzki-lowest-paid-mavericks-starter-2014-12

Nowitzki is 37. Guys under 35 don't do it. LeBron in Miami netted the same as Melo taking less because he didn't have to pay city and state income tax.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Even Clyde mentions the inevitable

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy