[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Most of these signings moves really have very little tod with the future of the knicks
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/2/2015  3:18 PM
I can put some argument into what was selected 19-35 because it was and still is an unsuspected add ins. but the 1 and only key for this teams future is porzingis. Not Carmelo Anthony or any of these free agents but what will Porzingis be at 21 years old. If we can't compete for a chip I really don't give a sht that's why I think we should trade melo-- not because melo scks or is worth 10/100 etc. but he represents the only other avenue to value add in rebuilding assets who can compliment Porzingis as a core. It's all about porzingis and his ability to stay healthy and to learn how to play the way a 7-3 guy can be most efficient to his team.
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
StarksEwing1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4451

8/2/2015  3:26 PM
Well i agree it makes more sense to trade melo since we are building for the future
callmened
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4234

8/2/2015  3:49 PM
my only argument for trading melo is (this is me playing devils advocate):

- he has a no trade clause i believe. so he can basically decide WHERE he wants to go
- most likely he will want to go to a contender
- most contenders dont have good draft picks

therefore by the rule of transitive property, trading melo would get us bad draft picks. lol

instead, id rather trade melo for young PLAYERS (kinda like the reverse of 2010).
- for example, trade him to houston for t. jones and d. motiejunas

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
8/2/2015  3:50 PM
IMO I think you still want some vets to bridge the gap so that you have a properly functioning team. Losing environments are really the best for developing young players. If the Knicks have a team that can function at a respectable level that will help KP, Jerian etc to properly develop over the next couple of years. Sasha, Lou and Jose are really just stability signings. Melo is here to help give this team a chance at the post season. If our young players can be productive over the next 3 years having Melo will have been worth it.

Melo is going to be the one who dictates whether he's traded or not. It's a futile exercise worrying about his value in a trade. Phil bringing in the players that he did in FA makes it less likely that the team will play poorly enough for Melo to demand a trade. At this very moment Melo doesn't have trade value until he proves he can still play at a high level after his surgery.

It seems to me that the under 30 players are going to be the focus over the next 3 years. Aside from Vujacic, who isn't written in stone, I suspect that phil is still looking for younger players to fill out the rest of the roster. It could be young guys like Saunders, Atkins or Thanasis.

NAME POS AGE HT WT COLLEGE 2015-2016 SALARY
1. Kristaps Porzingis PF 20 7-3 230 $4,131,720
2. Jerian Grant PG 22 6-5 205 Notre Dame $1,572,360
3. Langston Galloway PG 23 6-2 200 Saint Joseph's $845,059
4. Cleanthony Early SF 24 6-8 220 Wichita State $845,059
5. Derrick Williams PF 24 6-8 240 Arizona $4,000,000
6. Kyle O'Quinn PF 25 6-10 250 Norfolk State $3,750,000
7. Robin Lopez C 27 7-0 255 Stanford $12,650,000
8. Lance Thomas SF 27 6-8 225 Duke $1,636,842

9. Arron Afflalo SG 29 6-5 215 UCLA $8,000,000
10 Carmelo Anthony SF 31 6-8 240 Syracuse $22,875,000
11. Sasha Vujacic SG 31 6-7 195
12. Lou Amundson PF 32 6-9 225 UNLV $1,650,000
13. Jose Calderon PG 33 6-3 200 $7,402,812
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/2/2015  3:54 PM
Knicks1248 posted this in the thread about Sasha,
I'm pretty damn sure, Lance, sasha and admunson weren't on phils top priority list. Once the talent pool dry's up, it's time to focus on players that fit, work hard, and are familiar.

The budget has shrank to vet min, and vets don't want anything to do with rebuilding and sitting at the end of the bench, and you don't want players that are primarily looking for a check because they have a little talent.

I think he is right and it applies here.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
callmened

8/2/2015  3:56 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/2/2015  4:00 PM
nixluva wrote:IMO I think you still want some vets to bridge the gap so that you have a properly functioning team. Losing environments are really the best for developing young players. If the Knicks have a team that can function at a respectable level that will help KP, Jerian etc to properly develop over the next couple of years."

"Losing environments are really the best for developing young players." thats the only part i dont agree with. i think players (like melo did in denver) learn bad habits because they just keep forcing up bad shots or something else. but overall i agree with your sentiment. melo is simply a bridge to the future. hes here to make sure we win 35 games and of course sell out the garden. the other vets are here to make the team somewhat competitive and take pressure off the youngins.

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
8/2/2015  3:58 PM
If you want to develop Kristap then the best way would be for him to play with veterans really. Hermangomes will come next yr and we will probably trade for another first rounder. We will also have 19 mil in cap space.

If Grant and KP can contribute then our starting lineup is complete for the next 2 years. This gives us time to add pipeline players without having to overspend. Next offseason we need long term answer at SG. Hermangomes is a pipeline prospect at Center. As Early is at Sf. Maybe that young SG they signed can be one for us at SG. Continue to use the flexibility to upgrade. Like maybe a deal of Early and our cap space could land us an upgrade at SG. Just an example

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
8/2/2015  3:59 PM
callmened wrote:
nixluva wrote:IMO I think you still want some vets to bridge the gap so that you have a properly functioning team. Losing environments are really the best for developing young players. If the Knicks have a team that can function at a respectable level that will help KP, Jerian etc to properly develop over the next couple of years."

"Losing environments are really the best for developing young players." thats the only part i dont agree with. i think players (like melo did_ learn bad habits because they just keep forcing up bad shots or something else. but overall i agree with your sentiment. melo is simply a bridge to the future. hes here to make sure we win 35 games and of course sell out the garden. the other vets are here to make the team somewhat competitive and take pressure off the youngins.

I'm sure that was a typo and he meant aren't best.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
nixluva
USA
8/2/2015  3:59 PM
callmened wrote:

"Losing environments are really the best for developing young players." thats the only part i dont agree with. i think players (like melo did_ learn bad habits because they just keep forcing up bad shots or something else. but overall i agree with your sentiment. melo is simply a bridge to the future. hes here to make sure we win 35 games and of course sell out the garden. the other vets are here to make the team somewhat competitive and take pressure off the youngins.

That was supposed to be "Losing Environments AREN'T really the best for developing young players." Damn spell check got me.
callmened

8/2/2015  4:01 PM
nixluva wrote:That was supposed to be "Losing Environments AREN'T really the best for developing young players." Damn spell check got me.

my bad. gotcha

callmened

8/2/2015  4:02 PM
by the way folks, im not too sure grant is part of the future core. i think he will be a nice guard who adds defense and intelligence. but overall, i cant imagine him here past 4 yrs.
nixluva
USA
8/2/2015  4:21 PM
callmened wrote:by the way folks, im not too sure grant is part of the future core. i think he will be a nice guard who adds defense and intelligence. but overall, i cant imagine him here past 4 yrs.

I would disagree. Jerian is solid enough IMO. Just look at some of the guards Phil has had and aside from MJ and Kobe the other guys he has out there aren't sexy names. We can't expect to get an MJ or Kobe, who are the Elite of the Elite. Jerian is more in the line of a Brian Shaw or Ron Harper. Phil likes to have that smart and steady guard out there. I'm sure that down the line Phil will be looking to add another really talented guard to the mix with KP, Jerian and the other young players. This is just the start of the process IMO.
callmened

8/2/2015  4:29 PM
definitely the start of a process. im just not sold on grant. dont get me wrong, im not looking for a sexy player at each position and im not saying i dont like grant...i just dont expect much from him. i think he'll have a nice solid 10 yr career as a backup. (i think someone here mentioned antonio daniels type of career). hey man, i hope im wrong
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

8/2/2015  4:34 PM
Don't see why Grant is not part of the future at this point, and I don't know enough about OQuinn to make a real comment about his.

Still not sure where Thanasis and Early stand, too. Probably not starters, but can they be rotation players at some point?

Have to see this group play for a couple of years before making this kind of evaluation or prediction.

We will see.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
callmened

8/2/2015  4:38 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:Don't see why Grant is not part of the future at this point, and I don't know enough about OQuinn to make a real comment about his.

Still not sure where Thanasis and Early stand, too. Probably not starters, but can they be rotation players at some point?

Have to see this group play for a couple of years before making this kind of evaluation or prediction.

We will see.

im not concluding anything about grant. i just think its too early to assume to group him for the core future (that sounds crazy doesnt all that?? lol.) to be honest i dont think were seeing any core group now. only player im invested in for the future is KP

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/2/2015  4:58 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:Don't see why Grant is not part of the future at this point, and I don't know enough about OQuinn to make a real comment about his.

We will see.

I'm not down playing anyone as a solid role player . I just think the key to anything is kp

RIP Crushalot😞
RedmenBaller
Member: #6084

8/2/2015  5:22 PM
BRIGGS wrote:I can put some argument into what was selected 19-35 because it was and still is an unsuspected add ins. but the 1 and only key for this teams future is porzingis. Not Carmelo Anthony or any of these free agents but what will Porzingis be at 21 years old. If we can't compete for a chip I really don't give a sht that's why I think we should trade melo-- not because melo scks or is worth 10/100 etc. but he represents the only other avenue to value add in rebuilding assets who can compliment Porzingis as a core. It's all about porzingis and his ability to stay healthy and to learn how to play the way a 7-3 guy can be most efficient to his team.

Sounds a bit like going back to 2007? Liked 2012 better as it was the first time in a long
time we had something to watch in playoffs. Think young players are needed to establish a good
growing nucleus but its important having an all star caliber player with them to help in that process. As well as it makes the growing pains a bit easier to watch. Understand what your saying
but wouldn't want to be Philly for the.next 3 or 4 years to only see the draft picks get hurt
or traded away.

nixluva
USA
8/2/2015  5:35 PM
callmened wrote:

We will see.

im not concluding anything about grant. i just think its too early to assume to group him for the core future (that sounds crazy doesnt all that?? lol.) to be honest i dont think were seeing any core group now. only player im invested in for the future is KP

I'm curious. What do you expect from Jerian at his peak? It sounds like you don't think he's a starting quality player. I Like his talent, BB IQ and his confidence. He did show that he has the Balls to lead a team and also take big shots. Being older I think just makes him less of a wait and see guy. We already know what he can do for the most part. He's the most NBA ready PG in the draft IMO.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/2/2015  6:23 PM
Don't agree with some of the signings, but I disagree that there is no thought towards the future. The future (we hope) of this franchise is Porzingis, and Grant to a lesser extent. We saw in Philly what happens when you surround a top prospect with garbage (only talking about the effect it can have on a prospect) Phil got a quality center and a quality shooter. They have their drawbacks as players, but they're good enough to help Porzingis along in his development.

We also have Melo to lead the offense until Porzingis is ready to take over. If Porzingis puts it all together sooner than expected, I expect a trade with Melo's blessing and more talent headed this way. Not a fire sale like the Ewing trade.

blkexec
Member: #748
8/2/2015  10:20 PM
So i guess theres no chance melo and kp to carry us to the eastern conference finals? If kp is a franchise talent then whats wrong with having 2 franchise players in a proven system built to win championships. Dont forget the bulls won 60 games without jordan in this system. I think knick fans are really sleeping on this team. Its a blue collar system with blue collar players and two franchise players. On top of that we have a young pg in grant who can compete on both ends against anybody in the nba.....dont let our history blind you! No more paper rosters full of iso players. This is a team ready to punch the clock. Everybody on this team has a chip on their shoulder.
Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Most of these signings moves really have very little tod with the future of the knicks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy