[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Tough article on Anthony bennett/Is there anything there...
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
8/2/2015  1:40 AM
http://www.awolfamongwolves.com/2015/08/is-there-anything-there-the-process-of-developing-anthony-bennett/?fdx_switcher=true
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/2/2015  1:58 PM
Interesting read, thorough. Reminds me of Sweetney in a way, but with higher expectations from mgmt.
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

8/2/2015  3:14 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Interesting read, thorough. Reminds me of Sweetney in a way, but with higher expectations from mgmt.

This caught my eye:

But the case of Anthony Bennett gives me flashbacks to a couple years ago when we were trying to figure out what the Wolves should do with Derrick Williams.

Back then, the Wolves had to make a decision on the fourth-year option for Williams, who was disappointing as a No. 2 pick. We had the clock of Kevin Love’s impending free agency ticking away, so there was a bit of pressure on getting proper, capable help into the mix as soon as possible. As it turns out, Williams simply couldn’t play. When he was an athlete, he was serviceable. When he was asked to make decisions, he was one or two steps behind the proper decision that had to be made.

Will be interesting how he does in our offense.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
GustavBahler

8/2/2015  6:09 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Interesting read, thorough. Reminds me of Sweetney in a way, but with higher expectations from mgmt.

This caught my eye:

But the case of Anthony Bennett gives me flashbacks to a couple years ago when we were trying to figure out what the Wolves should do with Derrick Williams.

Back then, the Wolves had to make a decision on the fourth-year option for Williams, who was disappointing as a No. 2 pick. We had the clock of Kevin Love’s impending free agency ticking away, so there was a bit of pressure on getting proper, capable help into the mix as soon as possible. As it turns out, Williams simply couldn’t play. When he was an athlete, he was serviceable. When he was asked to make decisions, he was one or two steps behind the proper decision that had to be made.

Yup, that does hit close to home. I have serious doubts about Williams putting in the time to be a difference maker. Watched Phil sitting with Williams at SL, hope its more than just window dressing.

earthmansurfer
Member: #858
Germany
8/3/2015  2:42 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

This caught my eye:

Yup, that does hit close to home. I have serious doubts about Williams putting in the time to be a difference maker. Watched Phil sitting with Williams at SL, hope its more than just window dressing.

If you heard Williams when he was interviewed by Clyde during SL, it just jumped out at you. The kid is on another planet and was being guided by, for lack of a better word, handlers.
I couldn't believe this young guy couldn't have a regular talk with Clyde and was just giving semi-prefabricated answers, or rather was incapable of spontaneous true thought.
That said, when he isn't thinking, perhaps he plays his best ball. And trust Phil here, if it is obvious to us, he is well aware of it and knows how Derrick can fit the offense.
And, we have heard of how - being himself, being active and attacking (and not thinking). He is not going to be your typical triangle player imo. More of an exception.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. Albert Einstein
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/3/2015  10:27 AM
You guys are very insightful about Williams. Not.

Pro athletes SOMETIMES are dumb as rocks, or don't have good communication skill and are very uncomfortable being interviewed. Having been on TV myself, projecting the type of image, or how the program is produced and edited matters. I did not see the interview, and often we hear the prefabricated statements because these guys are just not good at it. Some, can't shut up. Some, go off on Jesus. IN a perfect world these guys do well in school, maybe take public speaking classes which starts with a good base of writing skills. What we do know is this kid is a gifted athlete.

ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
8/3/2015  10:46 AM
Still can't figure how the Cavs picked Bennett number one to begin with that year!

He was a tweener to begin with, too small for Power Forward and too big for Small.

earthmansurfer
Germany
8/3/2015  10:48 AM
Nalod - You just might be wrong, so don't speak with such "Not" certainty. None of us know at this point but his career thus far precedes him.
I'm hoping for the best however.
The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. Albert Einstein
CrushAlot
USA
8/3/2015  10:54 AM
earthmansurfer wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

This caught my eye:

If you heard Williams when he was interviewed by Clyde during SL, it just jumped out at you. The kid is on another planet and was being guided by, for lack of a better word, handlers.
I couldn't believe this young guy couldn't have a regular talk with Clyde and was just giving semi-prefabricated answers, or rather was incapable of spontaneous true thought.
That said, when he isn't thinking, perhaps he plays his best ball. And trust Phil here, if it is obvious to us, he is well aware of it and knows how Derrick can fit the offense.
And, we have heard of how - being himself, being active and attacking (and not thinking). He is not going to be your typical triangle player imo. More of an exception.

I don't know. He struck me as just a very laid back guy. He also did an interview with Jonah Ballow about his role on the Knicks. Not sure if he has a quiet confidence or comes off as having no sense of urgency ever when he talks. As you said Phil and management know him better than we do.
GustavBahler

8/3/2015  4:13 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

This caught my eye:

I don't know. He struck me as just a very laid back guy. He also did an interview with Jonah Ballow about his role on the Knicks. Not sure if he has a quiet confidence or comes off as having no sense of urgency ever when he talks. As you said Phil and management know him better than we do.

I commented on this last week, I thought that Williams wasn't showing a legend like Clyde the proper respect in the interview. Clyde didn't look amused. Hope Williams proves the doubters wrong, because I dont see it, not a 5mill per.

earthmansurfer
Germany
8/3/2015  4:16 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

This caught my eye:

Did you see the interview? I think Walt mentioned it as well that Derrick was almost ignoring Clyde. Maybe he was nervous but it didn't look like that.
I am all about being laid back! I hear that and this isn't a "Debby Downer" kind of thing, just reporting on what I saw.

I just watched the interview and he was a lot better. Maybe he is just more comfy with this guy? Thanks for the mention The Walt Frazier and Derrick Williams is no where to be found on the internet! LOL

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

8/3/2015  6:31 PM

Did not see the Frazier interview- can't comment on it.

He seemed OK in these pre-draft interviews from 4 years ago.

Interviews require good questions. Sometimes the open ended type of question does not work with certain people.

There are some terrible reporters out there who simply cannot formulate good questions or they ask the wrong question at the wrong time.

The "reporters" I hate the most are the eye-candy females who do the sideline reporting in BB and FB during actual games who are asking a coach like Pops about the specific strategy and tactics they will use to turn a game around in their favor, as if a coach is going to talk about this kind of thing on national TV while the game is still going on.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
CrushAlot
USA
8/3/2015  6:40 PM
earthmansurfer wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

This caught my eye:

Did you see the interview? I think Walt mentioned it as well that Derrick was almost ignoring Clyde. Maybe he was nervous but it didn't look like that.
I am all about being laid back! I hear that and this isn't a "Debby Downer" kind of thing, just reporting on what I saw.

I just watched the interview and he was a lot better. Maybe he is just more comfy with this guy? Thanks for the mention The Walt Frazier and Derrick Williams is no where to be found on the internet! LOL

I did see the summer league interview with Clyde. Hopefully he was just nervous.
Tough article on Anthony bennett/Is there anything there...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy