Derrick Williams signed
Author Thread
newyorker4ever
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5816

7/3/2015  11:37 PM
TPercy wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
TPercy wrote:With all this youth, it would be best to get some veterans.
Luis Scola and Kendrick Perkins anyone?

Phil's already been linked to K.Perkins but I don't like it. I think he's gonna focus on Bargs, J.Smith and C.Aldrich for size and i wouldn't mind if all three came back. I think coming off the bench and without them having to take on as much as they had to last year that they'll give us some good floor time.

Cole? I've always like him. Does all the right things and is a solid player.
Jason Smith? I'd rather not. I would rather get Scola instead.
Bargs is a big no especially since we already signed Derrick Williams.

That's your opinion but I think with J.Smith and Bargs who are both 7 footers and both hit the 15-18 footer consistently and both can hit the occasional 3 pointer if used in the right lineups off the bench can be very valuable and both will get some blocked shots and rebounds. Their both not great on defense but they'll give you enough coming off the bench.

AUTOADVERT
MX25
Member: #555
USA
7/3/2015  11:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/3/2015  11:45 PM
Waste of money. Williams is a bench players. He's one of those talented guys who can't play like it in this league. Happens all the time.
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

7/3/2015  11:45 PM
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
TPercy wrote:
nixluva wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:Brandon Bass is so much better. I dont see it in Williams. Phil whiffed in free agency.

Bass is 30 and will want more money. Derrick is 24 with more upside.

Bass is a proven two way player. We are not in a position to be taking these kind of chances imo

We all know Bass is a very good player but he won't be coming for $5 mil. We can give this kid a shot for less and try to see if we can get him going. He has way more upside.
Also we still have money to get another player.

obviously you will never be crítical of a phil jackson move but this one just isnt good. Afflalo and lopez were good even though we overpaid for lopez a bit

Why would I criticize Phil on this move when I was for it before he signed him? I think Derrick has upside and could be worth the trouble. This is the kind of player you take a chance on. Phil has had success with these reclamation projects. There's considerable talent with Derrick. It's a big win if you can get him to play upto his potential. Think of him as a draft pick that needs to be developed.

you have never criticized any move he has made since he got here.
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

7/3/2015  11:48 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:
TPercy wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
TPercy wrote:With all this youth, it would be best to get some veterans.
Luis Scola and Kendrick Perkins anyone?

Phil's already been linked to K.Perkins but I don't like it. I think he's gonna focus on Bargs, J.Smith and C.Aldrich for size and i wouldn't mind if all three came back. I think coming off the bench and without them having to take on as much as they had to last year that they'll give us some good floor time.

Cole? I've always like him. Does all the right things and is a solid player.
Jason Smith? I'd rather not. I would rather get Scola instead.
Bargs is a big no especially since we already signed Derrick Williams.

That's your opinion but I think with J.Smith and Bargs who are both 7 footers and both hit the 15-18 footer consistently and both can hit the occasional 3 pointer if used in the right lineups off the bench can be very valuable and both will get some blocked shots and rebounds. Their both not great on defense but they'll give you enough coming off the bench.

I could get behind Jason Smith. Luis Scola is the better player, but as a reserve pf I could get behind him. He does hit the elbow at close to a 50% rate and is a decent 3 pt shooter. He trys.
Bargs is a big no for me. He is a horrible rebounder for a center, he plays without a brain, and it rubs off on others, supbar defender, not a leader, and is injuy prone.

The Future is Bright!
WOODMANnYk
Member: #529
USA
7/3/2015  11:52 PM
Don't forget the 6'11 dude from paris. He probably will make squad and be the 3RD string center..

TPercy wrote:Use that 2 million left over to get Alexey Shved or KJ Mcdaniels.
Depth Chart
PG: Grant;Caledron;Galloway
SG: Afflalo;(Nobody); Ledo
SF: Melo;Thanasis;Early
PF: KP;D Will;(Nobody)
C Lopez;(Nobody);(Nobody)
The Future. GO KNICKS!
WOODMANnYk
USA
7/3/2015  11:55 PM
Most free agents this year were overpaid. If we didn't give Lopez 54 mil, someone else would"ve ...

It was a good signing. He"s only 27 yrs old like his brother. Ha.. I betcha he plays more games The Brooke who"S always injured..

StarksEwing1 wrote:Not a good signing. So far the afflalo deal has been the best because its very reasonable. I like lopez but we overpaid. Williams has kind of been a bust
The Future. GO KNICKS!
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/3/2015  11:55 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
TPercy wrote:
nixluva wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:Brandon Bass is so much better. I dont see it in Williams. Phil whiffed in free agency.

Bass is a proven two way player. We are not in a position to be taking these kind of chances imo

We all know Bass is a very good player but he won't be coming for $5 mil. We can give this kid a shot for less and try to see if we can get him going. He has way more upside.

obviously you will never be crítical of a phil jackson move but this one just isnt good. Afflalo and lopez were good even though we overpaid for lopez a bit

Why would I criticize Phil on this move when I was for it before he signed him? I think Derrick has upside and could be worth the trouble. This is the kind of player you take a chance on. Phil has had success with these reclamation projects. There's considerable talent with Derrick. It's a big win if you can get him to play upto his potential. Think of him as a draft pick that needs to be developed.

What does that have to do with why I like this signing? If I've stated my reasons for wanting Derrick then it's clear That I liked this player as a prospect before Phil signed him. I didn't just say I thought it was a good idea AFTER Phil signed him. I said it would be good BEFORE he signed him.

I think Derrick has talent but hasn't figured out a clear role. Maybe he can find that here. If he does we've got a very talented young player. It's worth the risk IMO.

WOODMANnYk
USA
7/3/2015  11:56 PM
Most free agents this year were overpaid. If we didn't give Lopez 54 mil, someone else would"ve ...

It was a good signing. He"s only 27 yrs old like his brother. Ha.. I betcha he plays more games The Brooke who"S always injured..

StarksEwing1 wrote:Not a good signing. So far the afflalo deal has been the best because its very reasonable. I like lopez but we overpaid. Williams has kind of been a bust
The Future. GO KNICKS!
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
7/4/2015  12:02 AM
I loved the Robin Lopez signing. Understood the Afflalo signing.

I feel cooler on this signing. Never got a good feel from Williams. I'll have to look into him. Maybe he can be an Al Harrington type for us? He seems to be at the least capable scorer off the bench. It does have potential upside, which I like.

I think I would have waited out the market a little with the remaining $8M. Suns may need to give away PJ Tucker if they get LMA.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how Williams does here. Doesn't seem as good a fit as the other two signings. But he can be the kind of instant offense off the bench this team needs.

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
7/4/2015  12:06 AM
The good thing about Williams and Afflalo being 1 and 1 deals is the Knicks have a lot of flexibility next summer. They could have something like $35M in cap room if both opt out. If we improve this year, that cap room might actually mean something. Only downside is if we wanna keep them and they are able to get big raises
¿ △ ?
babyKnicks
Member: #1191
USA
7/4/2015  12:09 AM
Williams, a unrestricted free agent, has been a bust since the Minnesota Timberwolves made him the second overall pick in the 2011 draft. The power forward has averaged just 9.3 points and 4.3 rebounds in his four seasons, paltry numbers for a player the Wolves had counted on to be the foundation of their future.

That never happened, and Minnesota was quick to cut ties with the former Arizona standout, trading him to the Sacramento Kings in November 2013.

Williams wasn't been much better in Sacramento, and after a zero-rebound game in April, coach George Karl said of his 6-foot-8 power forward: "You shouldn't be playing 20 minutes a game and not get a rebound. I mean, the Coke machine can get a rebound some nights."

Williams did perk up some down the stretch in 2014-15, averaging 14.8 points and one 3-pointer per game. Whether the 24-year-old can continue that into next season with the Knicks will be the question.

Let's go Knicks. That's amare
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

7/4/2015  12:10 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
TPercy wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Why does it bother you so much that Nix likes the moves Phil makes?? Every time Nix posts about a new move Phil makes you're busting on him if he likes it.

fitzfarm
Member: #3285

7/4/2015  12:15 AM
This is a really good signing ...
Derrick might break out he's only 24 and has played for the wolves and kings ... Isn't 24 the age Paul George broke out ... This guy can fly, drain 3's,good slasher ,always moving and being involved in the offense ... This is a great signing good wool Phil .. Now go get shved and a back up center
crzymdups
USA
7/4/2015  12:38 AM
fitzfarm wrote:This is a really good signing ...
Derrick might break out he's only 24 and has played for the wolves and kings ... Isn't 24 the age Paul George broke out ... This guy can fly, drain 3's,good slasher ,always moving and being involved in the offense ... This is a great signing good wool Phil .. Now go get shved and a back up center

The rebounding and defense... Very bad. He's super offensively gifted. It'd be great if the Knicks could get through to him about rebounding at least.

¿ △ ?
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/4/2015  12:42 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/4/2015  12:53 AM

Paul George proved he was a legitimate NBA player before his breakout NBA season. Williams needs a breakout season to prove he belongs on an NBA roster.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
TPercy
Member: #5748

7/4/2015  12:44 AM
This was a **** move the more and more I look into it.
The Future is Bright!
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/4/2015  12:44 AM
I thought he was worth 1.5-2mm. That being said lets see what he can do.
RIP Crushalot😞
Cartman718
Member: #1694

7/4/2015  12:58 AM
babyKnicks wrote:Williams, a unrestricted free agent, has been a bust since the Minnesota Timberwolves made him the second overall pick in the 2011 draft. The power forward has averaged just 9.3 points and 4.3 rebounds in his four seasons, paltry numbers for a player the Wolves had counted on to be the foundation of their future.

That never happened, and Minnesota was quick to cut ties with the former Arizona standout, trading him to the Sacramento Kings in November 2013.

Williams wasn't been much better in Sacramento, and after a zero-rebound game in April, coach George Karl said of his 6-foot-8 power forward: "You shouldn't be playing 20 minutes a game and not get a rebound. I mean, the Coke machine can get a rebound some nights."

Williams did perk up some down the stretch in 2014-15, averaging 14.8 points and one 3-pointer per game. Whether the 24-year-old can continue that into next season with the Knicks will be the question.

9.3 points and 4.3 rebounds....??? those are shumpert numbers. and we didn't pay him 40 mill over 4 years. i like it already.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

7/4/2015  1:04 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
TPercy wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Why does it bother you so much that Nix likes the moves Phil makes?? Every time Nix posts about a new move Phil makes you're busting on him if he likes it.

it doesnt bother me at all, just busting his chops.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
7/4/2015  1:36 AM

Hopefully Williams has as much success in the triangle as Shved has.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Derrick Williams signed

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy