mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

7/6/2015  12:00 AM
fwk00 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
nixluva wrote:I post plenty of things outside of season predictions that have value.

I've said this before, you'd probably get less friction if you spent some time reading up on why NBA trades happen ( not from this board, but from paid analysts in established publications), NBA Draft History and the current CBA.

You'd also probably get less friction if you didn't condescend to others who don't agree with you but aren't actively gunning for you. A lot of times, you don't respect other people's views, sometimes even basic facts, and hide behind this veil of "optimism" If you were just giving some back and forth to some of the regular board cretins, then ok, so what, but you take it further than that.

Unless you have Aspergers, I simply can't see any one single person who participates here as much as you do, follow the game as much as you do and be that oblivious to how the NBA actually operates. I agree with Splat that you're a soft cover shill/troll to generate participation in general.

That's my take on it, do what you want.

Personally I find nixluva's comments a hell of a lot closer to reality than yours which I think often are just fantasy league chatter or gamer talk. You believe there are strict rules and everyone in the league is a cardboard caricature of ESPN highlight reels. And you disregard how full of sh@t many "paid analysts" are [Barkley, Berman, Isola, hard to name a credible neutral source].

A year ago had anyone like nixluva or myself suggested that Afflalo were an attainable talent and we would be mocked because the Knicks "could never" get someone like Afflalo! Crazy idea. Go back a couple more months and someone like Derrick Williams was equally pie-in-the-sky thinking because armchair experts like yourself have zero imagination and any such thought breaks the prison rules in your mind.

Furthermore a vast majority of you and your peers have the misfortune of being imprinted with grading Phil and grading moves and all that kind of worthless crap inherited from school and the beer binge/baby talk commentaries on ESPN.

And you have also been imprinted by the mainstream "paid analysts" to be a cynical and jaded anti-fan of the team. Like Lemmings who can't wait to jump over the cliff at every excuse for hate or criticism you jump. And now you're attacking a fan who looks at what's happening with hope instead of hate or school marm "grades" and accuse them of being a shill.

You need to broaden your own horizons more than a little bit.

Close your eyes because there's some shill-talk following.

I happen to think Phil is empirically smarter than the paid analysts. I hope you and the haters don't commit suicide because someone points this out. Phil isn't signing players to fill out the roster with worthless bodies either.

So what are the Phil and the Knicks thinking? Glad you asked.

After decades of chasing marquee players, they are now chasing players who may develop some chemistry [there's never a guarantee]. They are also minding a budget. The Knicks have taken a step back from the stupid-loop of getting stuck with everyone else's high-priced duds just because NY could afford it [Dolan would get blamed for being rich, stupid, and arrogant].

Of the FA bigmen that NY ever had a legitimate shot at acquiring only Monroe went elsewhere. Robin Lopez was the best of the bigmen and Phil in fact secured him.

More entertainingly, Dwayne Wade who wanted to stage a drama queen flight to someone else other than the Heat found that the whipping boy Knicks had ZERO interest and so he scrambled around and realized he was going nowhere for yet another year - NBA karma is a bitch. Wall St. banker David West whose financial advisors must include Latrell Sprewell refused to resign foe $12M and then proceeded to insult the Knicks as if they ever had any intention of signing him. Genius.

Afflalo hasn't been motivated in the past few years but he's still got some prime years left. Let's assume he will perform better than the JR/Shump/Hardaway train wreck of last year.

DWill and O'Quinn are two bigmen who have yet to hit their stride. It can take five or six years for guys like this to click but it happens and taking a chance will do no harm to the Knicks.

Phil isn't done. And rather than a grade, let's talk about the transformation of talent. Assuming good health, this current crop of Knicks look to be high-flyers. Call me a shill but I like what we have and believe *this* looks more like a playoff team than last year's squad ever did.

It's really a waste of time for msg to plant people like you fwk00 you're getting paid for nothing. No real fan would EVER write a post like that I mean it's rather insulting to everyone's intelligence. Jim Dolan and his cronies have personally been posting on this board for years so why would he be paying you. The only people who deserve compensation is Andrew and Martin because they give everyone nice platform to express their views and don't run it like realm runs theirs. I don't care if you post here as a fan fake but these posts are ridiculous and a waste of everyone s time. I think if you are friendly reasonable courteous and stay within the rules you should be able to express a positive or negative sentiment within reason. Accept that some people are negative for a reason perhaps they don't believe this offseason was very good whatever--why can't a person express their views calling someone a drunk is offensive and borderline ludicrous.

What is an insult to everyone's intelligence is the constant drone of negativity about our own team. It becomes intellectually toxic.

There's no waste of time in discussing why a basketball genius gives a power forward whose numbers are so asymmetrically opposite the contract. That's an interesting discussion.

But to drone on that this guy or that guy sucks and Phil is an idiot and Zeke is in the building and Dolan owns the team is a freakin' bore. its like watching a dog chase his own tail. That discussion has been going on for a decade - WE GET IT - everybody sucks. But some of us are over it.

When i think about some of the more head-scratching trades Phil has made I have come to understand that Phil got exactly what he wanted back - in some cases close to nothing. Indy's trade of Hibbert to LA is another example of the same logic - addition by subtraction.

Looking at the roster he is putting together it becomes clearer that Phil has and had a plan and he wanted no confusion about it. Had he traded bodies for bodies the fans might romanticize the exploits of the temp. player thus just complicating the rebuild.

seriously? This is some of the silliest close minded posts that I have seen.

I new from day one that something was up with you.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
AUTOADVERT
fwk00
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6048

7/6/2015  12:16 AM
mreinman wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
nixluva wrote:I post plenty of things outside of season predictions that have value.

I've said this before, you'd probably get less friction if you spent some time reading up on why NBA trades happen ( not from this board, but from paid analysts in established publications), NBA Draft History and the current CBA.

You'd also probably get less friction if you didn't condescend to others who don't agree with you but aren't actively gunning for you. A lot of times, you don't respect other people's views, sometimes even basic facts, and hide behind this veil of "optimism" If you were just giving some back and forth to some of the regular board cretins, then ok, so what, but you take it further than that.

Unless you have Aspergers, I simply can't see any one single person who participates here as much as you do, follow the game as much as you do and be that oblivious to how the NBA actually operates. I agree with Splat that you're a soft cover shill/troll to generate participation in general.

Personally I find nixluva's comments a hell of a lot closer to reality than yours which I think often are just fantasy league chatter or gamer talk. You believe there are strict rules and everyone in the league is a cardboard caricature of ESPN highlight reels. And you disregard how full of sh@t many "paid analysts" are [Barkley, Berman, Isola, hard to name a credible neutral source].

A year ago had anyone like nixluva or myself suggested that Afflalo were an attainable talent and we would be mocked because the Knicks "could never" get someone like Afflalo! Crazy idea. Go back a couple more months and someone like Derrick Williams was equally pie-in-the-sky thinking because armchair experts like yourself have zero imagination and any such thought breaks the prison rules in your mind.

Furthermore a vast majority of you and your peers have the misfortune of being imprinted with grading Phil and grading moves and all that kind of worthless crap inherited from school and the beer binge/baby talk commentaries on ESPN.

And you have also been imprinted by the mainstream "paid analysts" to be a cynical and jaded anti-fan of the team. Like Lemmings who can't wait to jump over the cliff at every excuse for hate or criticism you jump. And now you're attacking a fan who looks at what's happening with hope instead of hate or school marm "grades" and accuse them of being a shill.

I happen to think Phil is empirically smarter than the paid analysts. I hope you and the haters don't commit suicide because someone points this out. Phil isn't signing players to fill out the roster with worthless bodies either.

After decades of chasing marquee players, they are now chasing players who may develop some chemistry [there's never a guarantee]. They are also minding a budget. The Knicks have taken a step back from the stupid-loop of getting stuck with everyone else's high-priced duds just because NY could afford it [Dolan would get blamed for being rich, stupid, and arrogant].

Of the FA bigmen that NY ever had a legitimate shot at acquiring only Monroe went elsewhere. Robin Lopez was the best of the bigmen and Phil in fact secured him.

More entertainingly, Dwayne Wade who wanted to stage a drama queen flight to someone else other than the Heat found that the whipping boy Knicks had ZERO interest and so he scrambled around and realized he was going nowhere for yet another year - NBA karma is a bitch. Wall St. banker David West whose financial advisors must include Latrell Sprewell refused to resign foe $12M and then proceeded to insult the Knicks as if they ever had any intention of signing him. Genius.

Afflalo hasn't been motivated in the past few years but he's still got some prime years left. Let's assume he will perform better than the JR/Shump/Hardaway train wreck of last year.

DWill and O'Quinn are two bigmen who have yet to hit their stride. It can take five or six years for guys like this to click but it happens and taking a chance will do no harm to the Knicks.

Phil isn't done. And rather than a grade, let's talk about the transformation of talent. Assuming good health, this current crop of Knicks look to be high-flyers. Call me a shill but I like what we have and believe *this* looks more like a playoff team than last year's squad ever did.

It's really a waste of time for msg to plant people like you fwk00 you're getting paid for nothing. No real fan would EVER write a post like that I mean it's rather insulting to everyone's intelligence. Jim Dolan and his cronies have personally been posting on this board for years so why would he be paying you. The only people who deserve compensation is Andrew and Martin because they give everyone nice platform to express their views and don't run it like realm runs theirs. I don't care if you post here as a fan fake but these posts are ridiculous and a waste of everyone s time. I think if you are friendly reasonable courteous and stay within the rules you should be able to express a positive or negative sentiment within reason. Accept that some people are negative for a reason perhaps they don't believe this offseason was very good whatever--why can't a person express their views calling someone a drunk is offensive and borderline ludicrous.

What is an insult to everyone's intelligence is the constant drone of negativity about our own team. It becomes intellectually toxic.

There's no waste of time in discussing why a basketball genius gives a power forward whose numbers are so asymmetrically opposite the contract. That's an interesting discussion.

But to drone on that this guy or that guy sucks and Phil is an idiot and Zeke is in the building and Dolan owns the team is a freakin' bore. its like watching a dog chase his own tail. That discussion has been going on for a decade - WE GET IT - everybody sucks. But some of us are over it.

When i think about some of the more head-scratching trades Phil has made I have come to understand that Phil got exactly what he wanted back - in some cases close to nothing. Indy's trade of Hibbert to LA is another example of the same logic - addition by subtraction.

Looking at the roster he is putting together it becomes clearer that Phil has and had a plan and he wanted no confusion about it. Had he traded bodies for bodies the fans might romanticize the exploits of the temp. player thus just complicating the rebuild.

seriously? This is some of the silliest close minded posts that I have seen.

I new from day one that something was up with you.

Yes, there is something up with me. I think about what legitimate choices Dolan, Zeke, Phil and so on were and are confronted with - not the media hype, or the fantasy hype, or the armchair coaching. I think if you let go of the knee-jerk imprint of self-hatred, you'll begin to see a semblance of a damned interesting team. It has the potential to have terrible weaknesses if all the signings so many of you hate in fact fail. But it has the potential [and more realistic chance] of developing into something special.

That's what "up" looks like.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/6/2015  12:21 AM
As I love to say Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the Good!!! This team is better than the mess we had last year and it's been set up with more young talent and just enough vets. We've got some very exciting young Draft picks to watch in summer league and hopefully it's a much more exciting season and one where the team can win some games. It's really a well built roster. That has to at least be acknowledged.
fwk00
Member: #6048

7/6/2015  12:23 AM
nixluva wrote:As I love to say Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the Good!!! This team is better than the mess we had last year and it's been set up with more young talent and just enough vets. We've got some very exciting young Draft picks to watch in summer league and hopefully it's a much more exciting season and one where the team can win some games. It's really a well built roster. That has to at least be acknowledged.

Right on!

BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
7/6/2015  1:08 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/6/2015  1:10 AM
nixluva wrote:As I love to say Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the Good!!! This team is better than the mess we had last year and it's been set up with more young talent and just enough vets. We've got some very exciting young Draft picks to watch in summer league and hopefully it's a much more exciting season and one where the team can win some games. It's really a well built roster. That has to at least be acknowledged.

I really like how younger and much more athletic we got! Some exciting fast break action
I am in the minority that I like the Williams signing. Ceiling is extremely high. Only 24 yrs old!

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

7/6/2015  7:23 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/6/2015  7:31 AM
BRIGGS wrote:Giving Williams a quality chance is NOT a bad idea.. The price that we gave the chance even with the enhanced cap is high . We can't control that part so let's let it be and give the guy a chance. I would've signed him for 2 years 4 mm. 10 for me would've Been to steep

You have to think other teams were willing to give him at least 4 a year, why else would we give him so much?

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/6/2015  9:05 AM
man some venom in this thread where none really needs to be.

Derrick Williams... we signed him for just about the smallest money you can offer a guy. I think this is a good signing for a few reasons. Its a nice shot at a guy with high caliber talent and skill who has struggled in the league. What I like about the signing is we needed scoring, and DW is a scorer. Poor rebounder, poor defender but he can put the ball in the basket. This should be a nice test for Fisher. This is clearly a player who can fill a need here, but can also show some upside at 24.

I think Phil did a decent job fleshing out the roster with some nice blue collar guys. We should have a decent defense next year, but we are very short on scoring. The directive for Williams should be simple.. we need you to score, something he's very good at, and we need you to play enough defense and rebound enough to stay on the floor.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/6/2015  10:00 AM
fishmike wrote:man some venom in this thread where none really needs to be.

Derrick Williams... we signed him for just about the smallest money you can offer a guy. I think this is a good signing for a few reasons. Its a nice shot at a guy with high caliber talent and skill who has struggled in the league. What I like about the signing is we needed scoring, and DW is a scorer. Poor rebounder, poor defender but he can put the ball in the basket. This should be a nice test for Fisher. This is clearly a player who can fill a need here, but can also show some upside at 24.

I think Phil did a decent job fleshing out the roster with some nice blue collar guys. We should have a decent defense next year, but we are very short on scoring. The directive for Williams should be simple.. we need you to score, something he's very good at, and we need you to play enough defense and rebound enough to stay on the floor.

Yup! It's pretty simple. Do what you do, but we also want you to give effort in all areas. He has the physical ability to do it all and just needs to put forth a greater effort. I think it was a good risk with a possible high reward. This is a chance for him to have a greater role and play closer to his true potential.

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

7/6/2015  10:36 AM
fwk00 wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

Holy crap. Standing ovation for you sir. I'm also one of the few that tries to stay optimistic and positive about what Phil has done so far in the draft and free agency. He's given us some good young talent for the now and the future in the draft and has signed some good young players to good contracts as well. I guess people were expecting Phil to give us a roster that will bring us a championship next year which just wasn't possible even if he signed LMA or D.Jordan or whoever was out there to be signed, so instead he signed players that can not only be good for our future but also are players on good contracts that will be good trade bait around the trade deadline if that's the direction he decides to go in.
THE FUTURE IS LOOKING BRIGHT FOR OUR NEW YORK KNICKS!!!!!!!!
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

7/6/2015  10:54 AM
fishmike wrote:man some venom in this thread where none really needs to be.

I think the only thing missing from this team is one other guy that's athletic and can score in any way from hitting the 3 pointer to driving to the basket. I want Shved back badly. We know he can drive to the basket and he can get hot and hit the 3 pointer. Wasn't he a really good with his outside shot before he came to the NBA??
earthmansurfer
Member: #858
Germany
7/7/2015  1:44 AM
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/derrick-williams-2.html

Derrick's sophomore (year he came out) 3pt stats - 42/74 57% - I'd say this is a part of the reason we got him. They are betting that his shooting improves
Also shot 75% from the FT line. 19.5 points ppg and 8.3 rebounds isn't bad either.
.8 steals and .7 blocks is ehhh

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. Albert Einstein
Derrick Williams signed

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy