Baker has heart surgery!!
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/10/2004  9:02 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/26978.htm

July 10, 2004 -- Knick free agent Vin Baker recently underwent heart surgery to correct a rapid beat that apparently had been misdiagnosed for years, multiple sources told The Post.
The recent procedure has people around Baker excited he'll be a new player without a heart ailment, which may have contributed to his occasional sluggish performances.

Knick president Isiah Thomas is adamant about re-signing the unrestricted free-agent power forward, even though Baker didn't make a big impact after he arrived March.

James Baker, Vin's father and a pastor at an Old Saybrook, Conn., church, declined to comment on the surgery. However, he did say, "Vin is in the best shape he's been in the last eight years. People will see a new Vin Baker."

Baker's father was only willing to address Baker's past drinking problem, which prompted the Celtics to terminate his contract last season.

"Everyone will find out he doesn't drink anymore," James Baker said.

Agent Aaron Goodwin represents both Jamal Crawford, who could be a Knick by the end of the weekend, and Baker, so Thomas has been in constant discussion.

Goodwin told The Post earlier this week the Knicks were "absolutely front-runners" for Baker.

"We're hoping and praying he stays in New York," said James Baker.

Goodwin said Baker may want to sign a one-year deal to "show what he can do."

With the Crawford sign-and-trade expected to go through, the Knicks would still have their mid-level exception. But with a new-and-improved Baker and potentially Bull forward Jerome Williams, there's no urgency to sign a big man not named Rasheed Wallace.
AUTOADVERT
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
7/10/2004  12:27 PM
They seem to think this was the reason he looked so sluggish (though we know there were many reasons for that). But if this heart problem was really effecting his game, then a correction to that would be huge. If Vin recaptures a 12-14 point 7-8 rebound form with a block or two that'd be absolutely huge. I'm skeptical, but given the rate at which big men are signing for, I'll absolutely give him the chance.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/10/2004  12:30 PM
its gonna be hard to do with Kurt Thomas's 11 & 8 in the way
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
7/10/2004  12:39 PM
We really need Vin. With the market rising, it's unlikely we could find another big man for the MLE. And with Nazr as our starting center, it's important to have Vin make an impact off the bench.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
7/10/2004  1:02 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

its gonna be hard to do with Kurt Thomas's 11 & 8 in the way
no it wont.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
nykdunk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #570
USA
7/10/2004  1:15 PM
It's definitely worth a chance to resign Baker. He seems to really like playing in NY. It would add some much needed depth to our frontcourt.

(And if this heart surgery works for Baker, Lenny should be next in line.)
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
7/10/2004  1:32 PM
Dude, Vin Baker is getting old and is slow at everything. Maybe heart surgery gives him a couple of extra NBA minutes of endurance, but I doubt anything more. His sluggish play is b/c he's a recovering alchohalic who put himself in terrible shape physically. He's not a very good athlete anymore. We need to move on and go after someone like Dampier instead. Dampier is a better player, hands down. Vin Baker will probably never be near the player he was, when he was with the Bucks.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
7/10/2004  1:46 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:

His sluggish play is b/c he's a recovering alchohalic who put himself in terrible shape physically. He's not a very good athlete anymore. We need to move on and go after someone like Dampier instead. Dampier is a better player, hands down. Vin Baker will probably never be near the player he was, when he was with the Bucks.
I agree. I dont mind Baker but he is old. First priority should be a Dampier type player.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
nykdunk
Member: #570
USA
7/10/2004  3:33 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by Allanfan20:

His sluggish play is b/c he's a recovering alchohalic who put himself in terrible shape physically. He's not a very good athlete anymore. We need to move on and go after someone like Dampier instead. Dampier is a better player, hands down. Vin Baker will probably never be near the player he was, when he was with the Bucks.
I agree. I dont mind Baker but he is old. First priority should be a Dampier type player.

With the market as outrageous as it is, how do you suppose we get such a player? We need a low post presence in the worst way. I suppose we can just sit and hope that Sweetney provides that, but we need other cheap alternative in case he doesn't develop. The other options being mentioned right now (ie. Doleac, Mihm) are nothing more than big guys that don't play that big. For the right price, we might as well sign Baker. What would we be risking?
Bonn1997
USA
7/10/2004  5:11 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:

Dude, Vin Baker is getting old and is slow at everything. Maybe heart surgery gives him a couple of extra NBA minutes of endurance, but I doubt anything more. His sluggish play is b/c he's a recovering alchohalic who put himself in terrible shape physically.
Actually, his conditioning was a lot better than I expected it to be
trueknicksfan
Member: #646
7/10/2004  5:31 PM
the key line is

Bonn1997
USA
7/10/2004  5:42 PM
Posted by trueknicksfan:

the key line is

The ideal scenario would be if he takes a one year deal for the veteran's minimum
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
7/10/2004  6:51 PM
I don't think it will make a difference in his game, but I hope I'm wrong.
Baker has heart surgery!!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy