[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Berman suggesting Knics trying t get Monroe to take a little less
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
7/1/2015  1:34 PM
I was against targeting DeAndre Jordan on account of him making $20mil, which meant we couldn't sign another good FA, but now most of the good Fas are gone, I'd go all in. Unfortunately he's likely going to the Mavs.
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/1/2015  1:35 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
My guess is there is nothing in their pitch about taking less for the sake of team building. Just a guess though.

He will sign with Portland. Beautiful city. Great fans and far less taxes. I really hope the Knicks have him the option to take the max. I really do not want Harris. Although we will lose him too. The only big I would sign is David West for a max short term contract. Then sign Affalo. Otherwise I want to stockpile picks

gunsnewing
USA
7/1/2015  1:37 PM
crzymdups wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
My guess is there is nothing in their pitch about taking less for the sake of team building. Just a guess though.

I bet he signs with Portland. sigh.

Let's see? Beautiful Portland, Oregon or Dolan's Knicks for less money and more taxes?

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
7/1/2015  1:40 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/1/2015  1:40 PM
Playing for Phil Jackson, the house that fellow Georgetown Alumni Patrick made? Sure, there's lure to NY.

I can't even tell you who the coach in Portland is these days. And if Aldridge and Batum are gone, who's left, the lure of being a 1-2 punch with Lillard?

We have Carmelo Anthony. The brand.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
7/1/2015  1:40 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Let's see? Beautiful Portland, Oregon or Dolan's Knicks for less money and more taxes?

Not to mention that Portland has a killer front office and an all-star PG under contract to get Monroe the ball.

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
7/1/2015  1:43 PM
technomaster wrote:Playing for Phil Jackson, the house that fellow Georgetown Alumni Patrick made? Sure, there's lure to NY.

I can't even tell you who the coach in Portland is these days. And if Aldridge and Batum are gone, who's left, the lure of being a 1-2 punch with Lillard?

We have Carmelo Anthony. The brand.

Knicks are in the running for him, but they didn't close the deal when they had the chance.

Lakers will also chase Monroe once they are out on LMA and Love - I've heard Love is likely going back to Cleveland.

¿ △ ?
gunsnewing
USA
7/1/2015  1:45 PM
crzymdups wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Not to mention that Portland has a killer front office and an all-star PG under contract to get Monroe the ball.

Yikes!

Portland might be losing Wes Matthews to Dallas but playing with lliard is very appealing to Monroe I'm sure

SwishAndDish13
Member: #5700

7/1/2015  1:45 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
SwishAndDish13 wrote:
MS wrote:What is our pitch to a free agent.

1. The worst owner in pro sports
2. The most unforgiving media market in the country
3. An executive with little to no front office experience
4. A star coming off a major injury that is difficult to play with
5. A coach with zero experience
6. A draft selection that isn't ready for years
7. Jose Calderon, Galloway, Grant??

Phil can talk championships all he wants, tout the triangle, sell a vision, but he isn't coaching, the organization hasn't won anything in 40+ years, you think someone wants to come hear and listen to the media destroy them all day long? You can't sell someone on taking less when the above is what you're selling.

I'm sick of hearing about the "recruiting" process. Almost all of these guys take the most money. Problem is because of taxes and cost of living under the current salary structure we can only offer less. You're media comment is relevant. I think it's becoming a huge issue.

Yea asking Monroe to take less when he is already paying way more in taxes in NYC and you just won 17 games is not a good look at all!

I really doubt they asked him to take less, and if they did, it was probably as part of a two year with a one year opt out where he maybe losses a mil then we max or near max if after the opt out.

SwishAndDish13

7/1/2015  1:48 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Yikes!

Portland might be losing Wes Matthews to Dallas but playing with lliard is very appealing to Monroe I'm sure

This is a high risk signing with his injury. Wouldn't want him at more than a couple years. Nobody knows what he will look like

TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

7/1/2015  1:49 PM
Just sign him up then get a rim protector.
The Future is Bright!
SwishAndDish13

7/1/2015  1:49 PM
crzymdups wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Why does the fact that he is meeting with Portland as part of his process mean he is going there?

smackeddog
Member: #883
7/1/2015  2:03 PM
SwishAndDish13 wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Yikes!

This is a high risk signing with his injury. Wouldn't want him at more than a couple years. Nobody knows what he will look like

if the Mavs land Jordan, then I'm not sure if they have the money for Wes?

H1AND1
Member: #5648

7/1/2015  2:09 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Eh, I think you're being a bit pessimistic here. Im not a fan of signing Monroe but there's more to it for sure. NY has higher taxes but if Monroe wants that big market it has that over POR plus endorsement money etc. If youre a megastar like Lebron youll get them anywhere but for a fringe guy like Monroe the market can still make a huge difference.

Also, the ties his agent has to Jackson is no doubt playing a role and Im SURE if they broached taking less to Monroe its because they have promised to double his pay once the cap explodes. Monroe is looking to sign a max three year deal (with the 3rd year being a player option likely) precisely because he and his agent know his pay will double once the cap rises. Any talk of taking less now involved that carrot later. I would wager everything I have on it (which isnt much, but hey! lol).

Monroe always said he'd talk with a couple teams. Just cause he didnt sign with the Knicks right away doesn't mean they didn't close the deal.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/1/2015  2:12 PM
H1AND1 wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Eh, I think you're being a bit pessimistic here. Im not a fan of signing Monroe but there's more to it for sure. NY has higher taxes but if Monroe wants that big market it has that over POR plus endorsement money etc. If youre a megastar like Lebron youll get them anywhere but for a fringe guy like Monroe the market can still make a huge difference.

Also, the ties his agent has to Jackson is no doubt playing a role and Im SURE if they broached taking less to Monroe its because they have promised to double his pay once the cap explodes. Monroe is looking to sign a max three year deal (with the 3rd year being a player option likely) precisely because he and his agent know his pay will double once the cap rises. Any talk of taking less now involved that carrot later. I would wager everything I have on it (which isnt much, but hey! lol).

Monroe always said he'd talk with a couple teams. Just cause he didnt sign with the Knicks right away doesn't mean they didn't close the deal.

+1

SwishAndDish13

7/1/2015  2:16 PM
Nalod wrote:
H1AND1 wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

+1

+2 - Doom and gloom city. Players will still hear other teams out. Just as you would here out another company, etc when weighing a job offer even if they weren't your top choice.

gunsnewing
USA
7/1/2015  2:19 PM
How do you feel about Robin Lopez, Tobias Harris, West And/or Affalo as Knicks next year? Give me West & Affalo
gunsnewing
USA
7/1/2015  2:20 PM
Why are all these big names signing right away and Monroe is still in Portland? Shows me the Knicks did not knock it out of the park with him
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

7/1/2015  2:24 PM
gunsnewing wrote:Why are all these big names signing right away and Monroe is still in Portland? Shows me the Knicks did not knock it out of the park with him

Signing Monroe to a max contract ties us into long term mediocrity anyway...not upset about missing out on him...

gunsnewing
USA
7/1/2015  2:24 PM
Butler resigned with bills for $95mil
crzymdups
USA
7/1/2015  2:25 PM
Uptown wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:Why are all these big names signing right away and Monroe is still in Portland? Shows me the Knicks did not knock it out of the park with him

Signing Monroe to a max contract ties us into long term mediocrity anyway...not upset about missing out on him...

In 2017 a $15M deal will be 13% of the cap. It's not a max deal, it's more like an MLE.

¿ △ ?
Berman suggesting Knics trying t get Monroe to take a little less

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy