Berman suggesting Knics trying t get Monroe to take a little less
Author Thread
H1AND1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5648

7/1/2015  9:50 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/1/2015  9:51 AM
nixluva wrote:
H1AND1 wrote:
JacobKubacki wrote:He is not a max player at this point so it is fair. Well I think that he will be a better defender when playing against 5 and not 4, yet he must learn to block better.

The problem is his little T-Rex arms

Everyone says Monroe has short arms but he has a 7'2.25" Wingspan and a 9'0.5" standing reach. Not elite length but not short. His problem is that he's got no hops. His max vert is only 29". He's just not an explosive athlete and that limits his rim protection ability. He has quick hands tho and he's agile. So he does get steals and rebounds. He did improve defensively last year which is a good sign.

First off, I was joking. That being said Nix, you keep beating the drum that Monroe is a decent defender or that he is "improving" yet the fact remains that he is a minus defender. That's a fact no matter what some stats plucked out individually say about his D. Im just not a Monroe fan.

AUTOADVERT
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

7/1/2015  9:55 AM
gunsnewing wrote:Forget Aldridge and Jordan. Aldridge is older and Jordan I feel will not be as productive around the basket without Chris Paul penetrating and dishing and lobbing to him. Without that kind of PG I feel Jordan is a more athletic Tyson Chandler. He can anchor your defense but his abismal FT shooting kid you late in games to the point where you have to consider taking him out during key possessions late. Is that worth max money? Monroe will be a little cheaper, better fit in the triangle and its best that we don't throw all our eggs in one basket and spread the cap money around a couple of key NBA starting caliber players. I wish Melo didn't take up 40% of the cap but he does so we have to build a team that covers all his difficiencies

Well said. Agree on all points.

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/1/2015  9:57 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/1/2015  10:24 AM
nychamp wrote:I think it is foolish for the Knicks to quibble over a little bit of money. People are going to be overpaid in free agency this year, period. If Monroe is truly their top priority, they just need to pay him the max and get it done. He will surely be maxed out somewhere else.

I agree why quibble now? The difference between $14-16mil is not going to hurt you the same way Melo at $24mil does. If Melo had signed for $18-23for 5yrs that another player right there for $5-8mil. That is is the money you use to bring David West back home to the area. Saving $2mil on Monroe is not going to do much but get you another mike bobby/jason smith.

I'd give anything for a Monroe/West/KP Front court rotation

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

7/1/2015  10:04 AM
Holy cow the Magic have offered P.Milsap 4 years 80 million. Full max.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/1/2015  10:05 AM
H1AND1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
H1AND1 wrote:
JacobKubacki wrote:He is not a max player at this point so it is fair. Well I think that he will be a better defender when playing against 5 and not 4, yet he must learn to block better.

Everyone says Monroe has short arms but he has a 7'2.25" Wingspan and a 9'0.5" standing reach. Not elite length but not short. His problem is that he's got no hops. His max vert is only 29". He's just not an explosive athlete and that limits his rim protection ability. He has quick hands tho and he's agile. So he does get steals and rebounds. He did improve defensively last year which is a good sign.

First off, I was joking. That being said Nix, you keep beating the drum that Monroe is a decent defender or that he is "improving" yet the fact remains that he is a minus defender. That's a fact no matter what some stats plucked out individually say about his D. Im just not a Monroe fan.

I know it was a joke, but that doesn't mean people don't actually think he has short arms. This is why I posted the facts so it was clear he's not a guy with short arms for his height. I have to say that people can bash the guy for his poor D, which is deserved but when he makes some improvement it should also be noted since he's still a young and developing player who has talent. His defensive flaws aren't about his ability to get steals and rebound at a solid rate. It's other technical issues which he seemed to be fixing last year. No one is asking you to be a fan. I'm just setting the record straight as I always do when I see exaggerations being made.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/1/2015  10:09 AM
Do some of yo think phil is in his white suite dressed like plantation owning Colonel Sanders chomping a ciiigar showing southern charm/racist diatribe to Monroe trying to hoodwink him into some bad crop sharing arrangement while his agent sits and says nothing?

What do you think these guys want? Money, but also be in a happy situation. What is that? For some like Marbury it was all about him and money and giving to the community. What can Phil offer? Money but also a system of basketball that NOBODY DARE EVEN TRY in the NBA. The princeton offense georgetown used when Monroe was there will be familiar to him as the Triangle has some elements of it and if presented with clarity the vision of a system that involves players moving and all being involved. Basektball wise, few players want to stand around and watch Melo hoist 35 shots a game even if they are to be paid. They want to know about the New Knick culture and perhaps what the plan is if Phil were to take ill and leave. In my opinion Mills is being groomed as the man of the future and the Triangle stays.

Monroe can take less now, open more to improve the team and then be taken care of later when the cap goes up. If Monroe and his agent are not about that then its for phil to decide how far do we persue it and what are the other options.

MS
Member: #724
7/1/2015  10:13 AM
We have to remember. The Knicks are a desperate franchise. When you have the 27th worst winning percentage in the league over 10 years, you don't ask free agents to take less money. It just doesn't work.

We don't want to get shutout.

nixluva
USA
7/1/2015  10:16 AM
Nalod wrote:Do some of yo think phil is in his white suite dressed like plantation owning Colonel Sanders chomping a ciiigar showing southern charm/racist diatribe to Monroe trying to hoodwink him into some bad crop sharing arrangement while his agent sits and says nothing?

What do you think these guys want? Money, but also be in a happy situation. What is that? For some like Marbury it was all about him and money and giving to the community. What can Phil offer? Money but also a system of basketball that NOBODY DARE EVEN TRY in the NBA. The princeton offense georgetown used when Monroe was there will be familiar to him as the Triangle has some elements of it and if presented with clarity the vision of a system that involves players moving and all being involved. Basektball wise, few players want to stand around and watch Melo hoist 35 shots a game even if they are to be paid. They want to know about the New Knick culture and perhaps what the plan is if Phil were to take ill and leave. In my opinion Mills is being groomed as the man of the future and the Triangle stays.

Monroe can take less now, open more to improve the team and then be taken care of later when the cap goes up. If Monroe and his agent are not about that then its for phil to decide how far do we persue it and what are the other options.

I agree. Great Post. Being that the Knicks were the 1st to meet with Monroe it is a statement of how serious both parties are about this. David Falk and Phil go back decades. There will be no games played. Phil would've laid it all out for Falk long ago.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/1/2015  10:23 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/1/2015  10:30 AM
MS wrote:We have to remember. The Knicks are a desperate franchise. When you have the 27th worst winning percentage in the league over 10 years, you don't ask free agents to take less money. It just doesn't work.

I doubt players give two shyts and a phuch about the last 10 years when make a 60 million statement like hiring the winningest coach in the history of the game to change the culture of the franchise going forward. I doubt players and their agents are worried about the Tyson trade as some franchise changing event destined to doom the franchise. They want a vision of what the future. If they don't understand the triangle, then they will get a primer. They will be given the economics of playing in NY and perhaps even Melo will offer his promise that his commitment to the triangle is real.

After a 17 win season there is little downside. Media might be harsh but fans in the arena are intense even when they are losing. Sell outs and supermodels.

nixluva
USA
7/1/2015  10:29 AM
Monroe still has plenty of upside. He can still get better and showed that this year. I think this system would really enhance his talents.

Detroit A.S. (After Smoove) has actually been at its best with both Drummond and Monroe on the floor, per NBA.com. Monroe is beasting in the post, dishing snappy interior passes, and making smart reads on defense. He’ll never be a rim protector, but opposing ball handlers are shooting just 38.5 percent on pick-and-rolls in which Monroe’s man is the screener — a strong number, per Synergy.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-all-star-team-eastern-western-conference/

y2zipper
Member: #3287

7/1/2015  10:32 AM
H1AND1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
H1AND1 wrote:

Monroe is actually a slightly plus defende that improved his pick-and -roll defense and gets better defensively at the 5 where he doesn't have to guard stretch forwards.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/1/2015  10:33 AM
If he offered him a little less, that's a good sign as it means he is very confident he will get Monroe one way or another. Hopefully he is selling him on a great long-term plan because Monroe can be our starting center the next 8-10 years.
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

7/1/2015  10:34 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:Holy cow the Magic have offered P.Milsap 4 years 80 million. Full max.

Oh no, thats bad for us. I like Milasap but thats flat out ridiculous

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/1/2015  10:39 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:Holy cow the Magic have offered P.Milsap 4 years 80 million. Full max.

It might open up a window to get Tobias Harris. If the Magic pay that for Millsap it seems like Tobias might be allowed to go.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/1/2015  10:48 AM
Jmpasq wrote:

Almost every contract will be preceived as ridiculous. That's the new NBA.
SwishAndDish13
Member: #5700

7/1/2015  10:49 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

It might open up a window to get Tobias Harris. If the Magic pay that for Millsap it seems like Tobias might be allowed to go.

+1 - Excellent point. This could also prevent the Knicks from having to overpay for Harris as he is RFA. The Milsap contract is crazy. Knicks fans heads would explode if we offered this. That's almost Melo equivalent tax adjusted. 2015 NBA Free Agency...Where Amazing Happens!!

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
7/1/2015  10:50 AM
Finestrg wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:Forget Aldridge and Jordan. Aldridge is older and Jordan I feel will not be as productive around the basket without Chris Paul penetrating and dishing and lobbing to him. Without that kind of PG I feel Jordan is a more athletic Tyson Chandler. He can anchor your defense but his abismal FT shooting kid you late in games to the point where you have to consider taking him out during key possessions late. Is that worth max money? Monroe will be a little cheaper, better fit in the triangle and its best that we don't throw all our eggs in one basket and spread the cap money around a couple of key NBA starting caliber players. I wish Melo didn't take up 40% of the cap but he does so we have to build a team that covers all his difficiencies

Well said. Agree on all points.

The stat that got me confused was that the clippers were 12-0 when the Hack-a-jordan was in effect

ES
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

7/1/2015  11:32 AM
MS wrote:We have to remember. The Knicks are a desperate franchise. When you have the 27th worst winning percentage in the league over 10 years, you don't ask free agents to take less money. It just doesn't work.

Hard to argue with this. Nevertheless, Phil needs to try, he needs to find ways to add talent through FA. Or, we could trade Melo and start an authentic rebuild, with Zinger and Grant as the core to build around.

Tough choices. 'Bout to get interesting.

ESOMKnicks
Member: #6064

7/1/2015  12:13 PM
SwishAndDish13 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

+1 - Excellent point. This could also prevent the Knicks from having to overpay for Harris as he is RFA. The Milsap contract is crazy. Knicks fans heads would explode if we offered this. That's almost Melo equivalent tax adjusted. 2015 NBA Free Agency...Where Amazing Happens!!

Let other teams sign mediocre talent to max contracts. We should keep our cap powder dry. Until top-flight FAs come to market and other teams are capped out.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
7/1/2015  12:15 PM
ESOMKnicks wrote:
SwishAndDish13 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

Let other teams sign mediocre talent to max contracts. We should keep our cap powder dry. Until top-flight FAs come to market and other teams are capped out.

Every team in the league is getting $20m in cap space next year and another $20m the year after that. No one is capped out. The Knicks are gonna get embarrassed this summer if they aren't careful. This is bad. Asking Monroe to take less was a MASSIVE mistake.

¿ △ ?
Berman suggesting Knics trying t get Monroe to take a little less

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy