[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Berman suggesting Knics trying t get Monroe to take a little less
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
7/1/2015  1:05 AM
From Hahn's tweet, sounds like Knicks will ask Monroe to take a little less than max like they did Melo to squeeze 3 decent FAs. Interesting
9:00 PM - 30 Jun 2015 from North Massapequa, NY
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

7/1/2015  1:10 AM
I have suggested the knicks trying to get Monroe to take a contract with a starting salary at $14m
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/1/2015  1:16 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:I have suggested the knicks trying to get Monroe to take a contract with a starting salary at $14m

I agree but it shouldn't be a dal breaker. Maybe you give him two years with a player option for the third year. I think he will get paid the max by someone. Hopefully the years makes the deal what he wants.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
JacobKubacki
Member: #6038

7/1/2015  5:26 AM
He is not a max player at this point so it is fair. Well I think that he will be a better defender when playing against 5 and not 4, yet he must learn to block better.
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
7/1/2015  8:11 AM
One thing about Greg Monroe, his point guards have been Rodney Stuckey, Rookie Brandon Knight, 2nd yr Brandon Knight/Calderon for 28gms, Brandon Jennings. His Shooting guards don't even deserve to be mentioned.

He still produced well. But what if he finally gets to play with top quality guard &/or a player like Melo that will offensively drawn attention away from him.

Blake Griffin who is similar productively(provides more pts and ast) played with Eric Gordon when he was good and healthy/Mo Williams/Baron Davis/Eric Bledsoe (all together). Then the next yr (his 2nd) he got Chris Paul.

Guard play matters. Not that we have any sure thing at our guard position at the moment.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

7/1/2015  8:18 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:One thing about Greg Monroe, his point guards have been Rodney Stuckey, Rookie Brandon Knight, 2nd yr Brandon Knight/Calderon for 28gms, Brandon Jennings. His Shooting guards don't even deserve to be mentioned.

He still produced well. But what if he finally gets to play with top quality guard &/or a player like Melo that will offensively drawn attention away from him.

Blake Griffin who is similar productively(provides more pts and ast) played with Eric Gordon when he was good and healthy/Mo Williams/Baron Davis/Eric Bledsoe (all together). Then the next yr (his 2nd) he got Chris Paul.

Guard play matters. Not that we have any sure thing at our guard position at the moment.

Nobody is questioning his offensive ability, plus he is really young. My onlyconcern is defensively. Thats why im praying we gtet a break for a change and get Jordan or Aldrige
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/1/2015  8:18 AM
Good news. Phil is being prudent. Hopefully it is more of a saving than the $1mil over 5yrs Melo saved us
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

7/1/2015  8:20 AM
gunsnewing wrote:Good news. Phil is being prudent. Hopefully it is more of a saving than the $1mil over 5yrs Melo saved us
Exactly . Well we know how that situation happened. Phil told melo to take less and melo got pissed and ran straight to dolan....the rest is history
Finestrg
Member: #1069

7/1/2015  8:39 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/1/2015  8:40 AM
I hope if this is true Phil presented it the right way. I'm sure he did. Just hope it didn't come across as lowballing - hope it came across as Miami Heat/everyone take a little less and let's bring in several big FAs all at once...The man's a 16/10 player, so close to being a 20/12 player. That's worth every bit of his reduced max of $15mm per..

We meet with him shortly after midnight -- he's clearly the number 1 target, as he should be. I like that we didn't waste any time. Was Melo at the meeting? Hopefully he was there and we put our best foot forward.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
7/1/2015  8:47 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:One thing about Greg Monroe, his point guards have been Rodney Stuckey, Rookie Brandon Knight, 2nd yr Brandon Knight/Calderon for 28gms, Brandon Jennings. His Shooting guards don't even deserve to be mentioned.

Nobody is questioning his offensive ability, plus he is really young. My onlyconcern is defensively. Thats why im praying we gtet a break for a change and get Jordan or Aldrige

He is one of the better defensive rebounders and thiefs in the NBA for the PF/C position if that helps.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Cartman718
Member: #1694

7/1/2015  8:54 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:Good news. Phil is being prudent. Hopefully it is more of a saving than the $1mil over 5yrs Melo saved us
Exactly . Well we know how that situation happened. Phil told melo to take less and melo got pissed and ran straight to dolan....the rest is history

whatever man... phil allowed dolan to dictate terms instead of dictating his own as per hire date.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
nychamp
Member: #2556

7/1/2015  9:07 AM
I think it is foolish for the Knicks to quibble over a little bit of money. People are going to be overpaid in free agency this year, period. If Monroe is truly their top priority, they just need to pay him the max and get it done. He will surely be maxed out somewhere else.
mreinman
Member: #3189

7/1/2015  9:24 AM
this just means that Phil will give him the max and a no trade clause
so here is what phil is thinking ....
Finestrg
Member: #1069

7/1/2015  9:25 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/1/2015  9:34 AM
nychamp wrote:I think it is foolish for the Knicks to quibble over a little bit of money. People are going to be overpaid in free agency this year, period. If Monroe is truly their top priority, they just need to pay him the max and get it done. He will surely be maxed out somewhere else.

You know--I kinda feel the same way. Unless they clearly outlined to him exactly how the money he'd be deferring will be spent (with the Miami Heat a few years ago--Riley made that crystal clear to LeBron, Wade and Bosh), otherwise pay the man the $15mm/per over 2-3 years with the opt out (what he's said to be looking for) and move on to the secondary top-choice targets. The man's 25 years old, just entering his prime with his best years ahead of him. Up the usage just a little bit and this guy will be big time, I'm tellin' ya -- 20/10, maybe closer to 20/12. Let's see how long it takes Okafor to put up those numbers...Much more realistic target over Aldridge, Love or any of these higher thought-of bigs that are looking for the moon. This guy'll come for a full $5mm less than those guys! Isn't that enough of a deal?!? Monroe and the Knicks have been linked together for months with strong interest on both sides. Please don't F this up!!!

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/1/2015  9:30 AM
This is the kind of thing they would already have discussed with his agent. If it's true they would've gotten input from his agent as to whether it would fly or not. They won't just spring that kind of thing on him like that at a meeting. These Agents have good relationships with NBA Execs. They're always talking.
SwishAndDish13
Member: #5700

7/1/2015  9:30 AM
Finestrg wrote:
nychamp wrote:I think it is foolish for the Knicks to quibble over a little bit of money. People are going to be overpaid in free agency this year, period. If Monroe is truly their top priority, they just need to pay him the max and get it done. He will surely be maxed out somewhere else.

You know--I kinda feel the same way. Unless they clearly outlined to him exactly how the money he'd be deferring will be spent (with the Miami Heat a few years ago--Riley made that crystal clear to LeBron, Wade and Bosh), otherwise pay the man the $15mm/per over 2-3 years with the opt out (what he's said to be looking for) and move on to the secondary top-choice targets.

I think this report is being overblown. The way the media reports "less" is net dollars. I am sure they are looking to get him a 2 or 3 year deal with an opt out. Technically "less money," but he will make more longer term baring injury or significant play decline after the opt out. This will also help the team against the cap. Win/win!

H1AND1
Member: #5648

7/1/2015  9:34 AM
JacobKubacki wrote:He is not a max player at this point so it is fair. Well I think that he will be a better defender when playing against 5 and not 4, yet he must learn to block better.

The problem is his little T-Rex arms

H1AND1
Member: #5648

7/1/2015  9:37 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/1/2015  9:37 AM
Certainly if they are suggesting this there is a wink wink that when the reported 2+1 year deal that Monroe wants expires (or he opts out--whatever), they will give him a huge raise as the cap will be exploded by then....
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/1/2015  9:46 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/1/2015  12:40 PM
Forget Aldridge and Jordan. Aldridge is older and Jordan I feel will not be as productive around the basket without Chris Paul penetrating and dishing and lobbing to him. Without that kind of PG I feel Jordan is a more athletic Tyson Chandler. He can anchor your defense but his abismal FT shooting kills you late in games to the point where you have to consider taking him out during key possessions late. Is that worth max money? Monroe will be a little cheaper, better fit in the triangle and its best that we don't throw all our eggs in one basket and spread the cap money around a couple of key NBA starting caliber players. I wish Melo didn't take up 40% of the cap but he does so we have to build a team that covers all his difficiencies
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/1/2015  9:47 AM
H1AND1 wrote:
JacobKubacki wrote:He is not a max player at this point so it is fair. Well I think that he will be a better defender when playing against 5 and not 4, yet he must learn to block better.

The problem is his little T-Rex arms

Everyone says Monroe has short arms but he has a 7'2.25" Wingspan and a 9'0.5" standing reach. Not elite length but not short. His problem is that he's got no hops. His max vert is only 29". He's just not an explosive athlete and that limits his rim protection ability. He has quick hands tho and he's agile. So he does get steals and rebounds. He did improve defensively last year which is a good sign.

Berman suggesting Knics trying t get Monroe to take a little less

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy