Member: #5608

7/1/2015  1:40 AM
Good.
AUTOADVERT
kNYks342
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #466
7/1/2015  8:05 AM
I think everyone needs to calm down about shved. I read somewhere that if we decline their qualifying options, we retain their rights and when we sign them it won't count against the salary cap. As in we can go over the salary cap to resign them.
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

7/1/2015  8:19 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/1/2015  8:19 AM
I was never a Shved fan to be honest. I do think he played a bit over his head in the small sample size he was here
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/1/2015  9:30 AM
he isn't worth the QO which was $4m. He might be worth $2.8M which is what I believe he would get based on his prior contract/history.

I'd like him back. But at the right price, and not at the cost of other potential fa signings.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/1/2015  10:01 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:I was never a Shved fan to be honest. I do think he played a bit over his head in the small sample size he was here

I have no idea what you keep going on about with Shved. He did a great job as a Knick. He was simply playing smart basketball which he always had the ability to do. He was doing exactly what he was supposed to do in the offense. You obviously have no idea what his actual talent level is and why Phil brought him in to begin with. He could always play as he did, but wasn't put in good situations. Not making the offer doesn't mean he has no chance on coming back. It's merely a cap move. The Knicks have higher priority moves to make 1st and if after making those moves it makes sense to bring Shved back I suspect they will try to do that. This isn't about Shved not being a quality reserve for this team.

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

7/1/2015  10:12 AM
TPercy wrote:For me, if he dosen't sign Shved back and he signs Afflalo, that is an F-

You sure do like to over react about things don't you??

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/1/2015  10:28 AM
Swishfm3
Member: #392
7/1/2015  10:31 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:I was never a Shved fan to be honest. I do think he played a bit over his head in the small sample size he was here

sort of like J.Lin

H1AND1
Member: #5648

7/1/2015  10:34 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/1/2015  10:34 AM
nixluva wrote:

I have no idea what you keep going on about with Shved. He did a great job as a Knick. He was simply playing smart basketball which he always had the ability to do. He was doing exactly what he was supposed to do in the offense. You obviously have no idea what his actual talent level is and why Phil brought him in to begin with. He could always play as he did, but wasn't put in good situations. Not making the offer doesn't mean he has no chance on coming back. It's merely a cap move. The Knicks have higher priority moves to make 1st and if after making those moves it makes sense to bring Shved back I suspect they will try to do that. This isn't about Shved not being a quality reserve for this team.

Nix, sorry, but you are wrong here. Yes, he did an OK job as a Knick, nothing more, which BY THE WAY was only 16 games. He shot 40% from the field, 37% from 3 with a TS% of .544. That is flat out average shooting. He averaged 4 rebounds and 3 assists, decent numbers for a guard, but nothing spectacular.

Now lets look at the rest of his career, which you will counter by saying he wasn't in a good situation. What's a good situation? He was a starter for a very long while in Minnesota. Nevertheless, he played 77 games in his rookie year and 66 games in his sophomore year in Minny. What was so terrible about that situation for him besides the team being bad? In year three he bounced from Philly to HOU to NY. He didnt get much time in any of those places besides his 16 games in NY.

Now, why should we discount his first 140 odd games, here you go: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/shvedal01.html#2013-2014-sum:totals

In short, Schved 29% from 3, 40% from 2, 35% OVERALL from the field! 35%! Not to mention his A T R O C I O U S defense. Or the 1 rebound and 1 assist he averaged in his sophomore season (thats THjr territory of badness). Nix, how do you explain these atrocious numbers. Why should we pay him for his 16 games as a Knick when we have a 140 game sample size of him playing horribly?

Im sorry, but Schved sucks. I dont give his hot streak, which wasnt even that great as a Knick, basically he shot like a league average player, any credence. At the league minimum, fine. Not a cent more.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/1/2015  10:35 AM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/1/2015  11:12 AM
CrushAlot wrote:

Yay you figured it out

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
USA
7/1/2015  11:12 AM
kNYks342 wrote:I think everyone needs to calm down about shved. I read somewhere that if we decline their qualifying options, we retain their rights and when we sign them it won't count against the salary cap. As in we can go over the salary cap to resign them.

This. It's about creating a little more cap space and then going over it if they want Shved.

nixluva
USA
7/1/2015  11:24 AM
H1AND1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Nix, sorry, but you are wrong here. Yes, he did an OK job as a Knick, nothing more, which BY THE WAY was only 16 games. He shot 40% from the field, 37% from 3 with a TS% of .544. That is flat out average shooting. He averaged 4 rebounds and 3 assists, decent numbers for a guard, but nothing spectacular.

Now lets look at the rest of his career, which you will counter by saying he wasn't in a good situation. What's a good situation? He was a starter for a very long while in Minnesota. Nevertheless, he played 77 games in his rookie year and 66 games in his sophomore year in Minny. What was so terrible about that situation for him besides the team being bad? In year three he bounced from Philly to HOU to NY. He didnt get much time in any of those places besides his 16 games in NY.

Now, why should we discount his first 140 odd games, here you go: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/shvedal01.html#2013-2014-sum:totals

In short, Schved 29% from 3, 40% from 2, 35% OVERALL from the field! 35%! Not to mention his A T R O C I O U S defense. Or the 1 rebound and 1 assist he averaged in his sophomore season (thats THjr territory of badness). Nix, how do you explain these atrocious numbers. Why should we pay him for his 16 games as a Knick when we have a 140 game sample size of him playing horribly?

Im sorry, but Schved sucks. I dont give his hot streak, which wasnt even that great as a Knick, basically he shot like a league average player, any credence. At the league minimum, fine. Not a cent more.

It's easy to use stats against Shved based on his limited NBA run and some bad situations. I would never use his performance over that time to try and defend him. What I will say is that he came in here and quickly adjusted to the role he was given and he demonstrated the actual talent level he has. Shved needed someone who believed in his talent to give him a legit shot. Just cuz he had poor performances in the past doesn't mean he can't improve and play up to his actual talent level. He came in cold turkey with no training camp and picked up the system and ran with it. Not many players could do that. It's a great fit for him.

If he is brought back it will be after we sign better players and he could come in at a reasonable cap number. No one is suggesting to overpay him. I believe he would be a solid reserve. His game fits this system well, which is why he was brought in, in the 1st place.

callmened
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4234

7/1/2015  11:29 AM
Melonoma wrote:Good.

melonomas are never good!

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
Finestrg
Member: #1069

7/1/2015  11:32 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/1/2015  11:33 AM
martin wrote:
kNYks342 wrote:I think everyone needs to calm down about shved. I read somewhere that if we decline their qualifying options, we retain their rights and when we sign them it won't count against the salary cap. As in we can go over the salary cap to resign them.

This. It's about creating a little more cap space and then going over it if they want Shved.

Makes sense but is Shved willing to wait to see 'if' we want him? The only way this works is for Shved to stay on standby where there's a guarantee made that we'll exceed the cap to bring him back i.e. handshake, done deal. Otherwise, why would the guy wait in limbo and pass up other offers?? I hope it's the former -- we tell him to standby and offer a guarantee to resign him after we do everything else we need to do. Good player--plus size (esp. when running the point), skilled and he handled NY well. That's big for me--some guys can't handle NY. A big part of what made Lin so special when he was here...Definitely would like to see him back. I guess it comes down to executing the best possibly strategy for us to bring him back. Hopefully Alexey's down with that.

martin
USA
7/1/2015  11:45 AM
Finestrg wrote:
martin wrote:

Makes sense but is Shved willing to wait to see 'if' we want him? The only way this works is for Shved to stay on standby where there's a guarantee made that we'll exceed the cap to bring him back i.e. handshake, done deal. Otherwise, why would the guy wait in limbo and pass up other offers?? I hope it's the former -- we tell him to standby and offer a guarantee to resign him after we do everything else we need to do. Good player--plus size (esp. when running the point), skilled and he handled NY well. That's big for me--some guys can't handle NY. A big part of what made Lin so special when he was here...Definitely would like to see him back. I guess it comes down to executing the best possibly strategy for us to bring him back. Hopefully Alexey's down with that.

Yes, there is always a risk. Knicks seem to have a lot of possible overlapping pieces floating in the backcourt: Gallo, Grant, Calderon, Ledo, Shved, Thanasis, Afflalo? Someone else?

H1AND1
Member: #5648

7/1/2015  12:00 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/1/2015  12:02 PM
nixluva wrote:
H1AND1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

It's easy to use stats against Shved based on his limited NBA run and some bad situations. I would never use his performance over that time to try and defend him. What I will say is that he came in here and quickly adjusted to the role he was given and he demonstrated the actual talent level he has. Shved needed someone who believed in his talent to give him a legit shot. Just cuz he had poor performances in the past doesn't mean he can't improve and play up to his actual talent level. He came in cold turkey with no training camp and picked up the system and ran with it. Not many players could do that. It's a great fit for him.

If he is brought back it will be after we sign better players and he could come in at a reasonable cap number. No one is suggesting to overpay him. I believe he would be a solid reserve. His game fits this system well, which is why he was brought in, in the 1st place.

The problem is that he didn't prove anything during his stint with the Knicks. The point is ANYONE who has the skills to get a look in the NBA is capable of having a "hot streak" over 16 games. Especially when the "hot streak" was basically Schved performing at league average efficiency. You cannot prove anything in 16 games. When deciding what to use to judge him the 140 games he played prior is more of an example of his "actual talent level".

And again, what the "bad" situation was he in his first two seasons he played with the Wolves? What was so bad about it besides the team not being good? Pekovic, Love, etc had no problems playing decently. Why was it different for Schved? He was a starter in Minny for long periods of those seasons.

Nix: Were just never going to see eye to eye on this. You seem to not tolerate any dissension with the view that Schved magically became a good player on the Knicks after 16 games. Im just saying he is a bad shooting guard who at best is a 11th or 12th man on a NBA roster. And even then, needs to seriously work on his shooting because he's never been a good one.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

7/1/2015  2:54 PM
nixluva wrote:

damn nix maybe you do have rose colored glasses on. First off its called an opinion. You cant keep getting upset at fans because they have different viewpoints. I never said shved wasnt talented i simply said im not sold on him and i understand if phil wants to go in another direction
TPercy
Member: #5748

7/1/2015  3:25 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:
TPercy wrote:For me, if he dosen't sign Shved back and he signs Afflalo, that is an F-

You sure do like to over react about things don't you??

I have a right to overreact. We dont have a sg of back up sg for next season and Phil is trying to play hardball.
The Future is Bright!
nixluva
USA
7/1/2015  3:28 PM
No one is suggesting Shved is some great player. He is simply a good fit for this system and would be a good bench player. Why is that so hard to believe? You could see that he picked up the offense quickly and got better as he played in it. All he did was take what the D gave him. It wasn't anything spectacular or outside of belief. Any decent guard with decent skills should be able to do what he was doing. If open shoot, D presses up drive, pass to big and cut to basket, look for open teammates etc.
Knicks didn't give Shved and Wear their qualifying offers

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy