[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Anyone ever been to New Orleans?
Author Thread
VCoug
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1406

6/30/2015  8:08 PM
I'm going on vacation next week and fulfilling one of my lifetime dreams: visiting New Orleans. Any of you guys ever been down? Any suggestions on what I should do/visit? For what it's worth I'm staying in the French Quarter and won't have a car so I'll be walking or using trolley cars to get around.
Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
AUTOADVERT
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

7/1/2015  9:46 AM
Yeah, I lived there. It was awesome. If this is your dream I'm going to stay away from the Frommer's types of recommendations.

You are staying in the right part of town. Awesome. Get to know Frenchman St. Specifically, the Spotted Cat. You want NOLA nostalgia, that's got it.

Near Frenchman is Port of Call. That place has great burgers but save room for the loaded baked potato. Weird to say but it's the best baked potato I've ever had. Get a Monsoon (it's a high end Hurricane... Hurricanes suck) to drink and walk to Frenchmen.

Everyone always goes to Bourbon St but it really isn't that fun. You should definitely go, but make sure you go to Gold Mine Saloon and then Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop Bar. Goldmine serves Flaming Dr. Peppers and Lafitte's has a great history. It's awesome and away from Bourbon.

The Columns Hotel is a must-go late Friday afternoon. Go there to listen to great brass and have the best mint julep in the city. This is also close to Magazine St. My favorite restaurants in NOLA and there's boutique shopping (in case that floats anyone's boat on your trip)

Jacques Imo's Cafe is ****ing great. It's Uptown and near Audubon Park, which is awesome. It is next door to The Maple Leaf, which is a really cool music venue/bar. The hostess at Jacques Imo's will get you from the Maple Leaf.

BONUS: Willie Mae's Scotch House is a national treasure but it is in Midcity... you would likely be going there for lunch and there for lunch alone. If you have the time it's definitely worth it but if you don't I wouldn't go out of your way.

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/1/2015  11:05 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:Yeah, I lived there. It was awesome. If this is your dream I'm going to stay away from the Frommer's types of recommendations.

You are staying in the right part of town. Awesome. Get to know Frenchman St. Specifically, the Spotted Cat. You want NOLA nostalgia, that's got it.

Near Frenchman is Port of Call. That place has great burgers but save room for the loaded baked potato. Weird to say but it's the best baked potato I've ever had. Get a Monsoon (it's a high end Hurricane... Hurricanes suck) to drink and walk to Frenchmen.

Everyone always goes to Bourbon St but it really isn't that fun. You should definitely go, but make sure you go to Gold Mine Saloon and then Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop Bar. Goldmine serves Flaming Dr. Peppers and Lafitte's has a great history. It's awesome and away from Bourbon.

The Columns Hotel is a must-go late Friday afternoon. Go there to listen to great brass and have the best mint julep in the city. This is also close to Magazine St. My favorite restaurants in NOLA and there's boutique shopping (in case that floats anyone's boat on your trip)

Jacques Imo's Cafe is ****ing great. It's Uptown and near Audubon Park, which is awesome. It is next door to The Maple Leaf, which is a really cool music venue/bar. The hostess at Jacques Imo's will get you from the Maple Leaf.

BONUS: Willie Mae's Scotch House is a national treasure but it is in Midcity... you would likely be going there for lunch and there for lunch alone. If you have the time it's definitely worth it but if you don't I wouldn't go out of your way.

wow, great stuff man

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
VCoug
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1406

7/1/2015  4:01 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:Yeah, I lived there. It was awesome. If this is your dream I'm going to stay away from the Frommer's types of recommendations.

Awesome! Thanks for the recommendations man! I'm going to be there 6 days/7 nights so I'm going to try to visit as much as possible.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/1/2015  4:09 PM
holy tour guide batman! Nice one SC
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
7/13/2015  2:44 PM
I've been 4 times- spent a week there this year. Supreme Commander gave you a nice run down. I'll make a couple of additions.

For fun tours, take a trolley up to the garden district. You'll pass the manning house. Sign up for a Ghost/Voodo Tour. Consider an airboat swamp tour to see some gators. A true New Orleans tour guide can't be beat. The people down there are incredible storytellers with a great sense of humor. The best storytellers in the world are either Irish or Cajun.

Most people who go to New Orleans love the Cats Meow on Bourbon. A unique karoake bar if you like that sort of thing. They have a big stage with an Emcee who keeps the crowd rolling.

Pat O'Brian's is the most famous bar on Bourbon. It actually has a great outdoor garden and is worth sitting in for at least one Hurricane. In general avoid all the disgusting insanely sugary drinks on Bourbon St though.

Preservation Hall is right nearby, and is one of the most famous jazz venues in the country.

Tipitina's is great for a music venue as well. Check in advance for what shows are playing as you will need to get a ticket.

SupremeCommander did not steer you wrong with Frenchman St. More of where the locals hang out and a great vibe overall. Try out dba as well. There's a couple of dba's here in NYC (they were originally affiliated), but the one in New Orleans has great music + great beer.

For food, you can't beat New Orleans. Everyone will tell you to go Cafe Du Monde for Beignets and Central Grocery for Muffaletta's, and those are really good places but the lines are often pretty long. You can get great beignets and muffaletta's elsewhere too.

Napolean House- great casual bar/restaurant for a Muffaletta and bloody mary. Difference between the Muffaletta (btw, a Muffaletta is just an italian sub on a round loaf with olive spread) here and central grocery is hot melted cheese vs. served cold.

SoBou- fancier restaurant in the W hotel in the French Quarter. Go here specifically to try the sweet potato beignet with foie gras sauce. Amazing!

Mothers- The best restaurant for PoBoys. The Ferdi special with cheese is amazing. Like a combination of a Cuban Sandwich and a french dip. If you're going with a friend, get a oyster and shrimp po boy and split the two sandwiches.

Cochon- to me the best restaurant in New Orleans. Casual atmosphere, but absolutely top notch creative cuisine.

Bayona- a bit fancier, but just phenomenal food. Slow food philosophy.

Brennan's- they invented the Bananas Foster. Famous for breakfast, but good for a fancy dinner or just dessert.

Emeril's- famous obviously, but actually great food and great steak.

Galatoire's - this is a straight up New Orleans creole spot. One of the famous old spots. Go for lunch and as for a waiter named John Fontenot. One of the funniest, most unique waiters ever. A classic New Orleans experience.

Anyone ever been to New Orleans?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy