[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Zings, Grant, Gomez, Monroe, West, Affalo A++++++
Author Thread
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/30/2015  9:16 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/30/2015  11:56 AM
Been away on a cruise but love the players they've brought in so far and the players they are targeting.

Signing both Monroe(my #1 target all along) and West would be huge. Zings & Monroe will learn some much about how to be a professional from West. He will hold down the fort for when Zings shines as a starter. Not crazy about Affalo but like others have said we are not prying Carroll and Butler away from their current teams. You do the best you can with what's out there. I actually rather have Affalo than Danny Green. More athletic and better fit IMO. If he can regain his form. Still only 29.

Let's do it:
C Monroe/Cole/Hernan(2016-17)
PF West(MLE)/Zings/Amundson
SF Melo/Early/Thanasis/Thomas
SG Affalo/Shved
PG Grant/Galloway/Calderon(deadline trade)

I think we drafted the 2nd best player in the draft. Certainly the 2nd best fit. We needed a top do it all big in this system. And that was Towns and Porzingis. We didn't need ball dominant guards like Russell and Mudiay. Grant is the perfect PG for this system. We need big/athletic defensive unselfish wings. I see a lot of Derek Harper and Clyde in this kid who I loved after what I saw in the tournament. Had him picked around 9. To get him at 19 for THJ is a steal. He gives us a lot of what we lost in Shumpert on the wing. He has the makeup to be successful in New York. Big, defends, a basketball player, doesn't need to score 20 a night to be effective and plays with pride. New York will love this kid.

Drafting Hernangomez was nice too because Zings will be comfortable with him around. It will help making am the massive transition into the states and the NBA easier on the 19yr old.

If this all pans out we just took a big step towards becoming a year in year out contender in the East. The youth assures that this current group will be able to grow together and have longevity. Then every year you fill in the gaps as all contenders do. Can't wait for summer league and the season to start! Much better than the dread going into the past few seasons.

AUTOADVERT
yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

6/30/2015  9:22 AM
Throwing money at West and/or Afflalo would almost erase the good Phil did in the draft.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/30/2015  9:33 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:Throwing money at West and/or Afflalo would almost erase the good Phil did in the draft.
I dont like Afflalo at all, and I dont want West to be a primary target, but if we whiff on bigger fish West could play a great role here and have a lasting impression.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
gunsnewing
USA
6/30/2015  9:40 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/30/2015  9:45 AM
So who you want at SG? Or are you ok with Galloway and Svhed? IMO Affalo when right will be more impactful night in night out than both those guys. You need an excellent bench and that bench and rotation will be one of the if not the best in the league. Melo needs to stay fresh.

IMO David West's impact on teaching this team how to be professional and prepare themselves mentally and physically to give it their all and reach their full potential as he did with the youngsters in Indiana is undeniably invaluable.

He will play he role of LJ & Oakley which this young team desperately needs if they want to reach their full potential. How are you going to do better thaN David West for the full MLE? He is the PERFECT stop gap. I really believe Zings will reach his full potential learning from David West. Same way hibbert, Stephenson, George & Hill did. He will push every single player on this this team to give max effort 100% of the time. He might even get Melo to play harder which would be worth it's wait in gold. All the same things LJ, Oakley & Ewing did for guys like Ward, Childs, Camby and H20. Without West this is a young team of pieces thrown together who will have to go through a few years of growing pains and maybe never reach its full potential of the playoffs for that matter. With West, the glue, development time will be sped up like it was in Indiana. Zings, Monroe & Grant will reach their highest potential. There would be no doubt in my mind. The Knicks would truly finally be back

dwiley20
Member: #5755

6/30/2015  10:00 AM
We need A SG who can create for the team...our SG should be explosive.....n no player on our roster fits that. We need Monte Ellis
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/30/2015  10:01 AM
gunsnewing wrote:So who you want at SG? Or are you ok with Galloway and Svhed? IMO Affalo when right will be more impactful night in night out than both those guys. You need an excellent bench and that bench and rotation will be one of the if not the best in the league. Melo needs to stay fresh.

IMO David West's impact on teaching this team how to be professional and prepare themselves mentally and physically to give it their all and reach their full potential as he did with the youngsters in Indiana is undeniably invaluable.

He will play he role of LJ & Oakley which this young team desperately needs if they want to reach their full potential. How are you going to do better thaN David West for the full MLE? He is the PERFECT stop gap. I really believe Zings will reach his full potential learning from David West. Same way hibbert, Stephenson, George & Hill did. He will push every single player on this this team to give max effort 100% of the time. He might even get Melo to play harder which would be worth it's wait in gold. All the same things LJ, Oakley & Ewing did for guys like Ward, Childs, Camby and H20. Without West this is a young team of pieces thrown together who will have to go through a few years of growing pains and maybe never reach its full potential of the playoffs for that matter. With West, the glue, development time will be sped up like it was in Indiana. Zings, Monroe & Grant will reach their highest potential. There would be no doubt in my mind. The Knicks would truly finally be back

Do you think that West will opt out of $12M to sign for full MLE?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fishmike
USA
6/30/2015  10:02 AM
Guns, Im with you on West.. remember I started a thread about him for that role some time ago. Agree there. Affalo just isnt good enough for the money, so I would rather play two PGs and try to fill that spot with stop gaps etc..

I think our best scenario is to simply overpay Monroe and Carrol.

If we have a shot at a bigger fish like Jordan or Gasol great. Hopefully we can get that big that the Wolves have rights to also, but I think this is a very good step in the right direction:
Starters:
G Jose/Galloway
F Melo/Carrol
C Monroe
bench: Grant/KP/Thanasis/etc etc

I expect Jose to come back strong. He's a stabalizing player in the SL. Galloway/Carrol give you two guys who's primary roles will be to defend opposing scorers, and both are excellent shooters providing floorspacing. That line up lacks rim protectors, but Melo/Monroe are excellent rebounders. Maybe KP or Grant get their way into the starting line up but I dont see the point or the rush. The first guard off the bench will get 30 minutes and I can def see Grant getting those minutes. Im not sure if we have the money for Shved after Monroe/Carroll and so be it. I like Grant better anyway... I think thats all a step in the right direction

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/30/2015  10:05 AM
martin wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:So who you want at SG? Or are you ok with Galloway and Svhed? IMO Affalo when right will be more impactful night in night out than both those guys. You need an excellent bench and that bench and rotation will be one of the if not the best in the league. Melo needs to stay fresh.

I actually think this is somewhat possible. He was miserable in Indiana. If he gets the full 4yr MLE - 4yr $28M or so, with the expectation that he'd be more of a coach from the bench in the last two years of the deal...

Though the word is he wants to go to a team where he can compete for a title. I think he'll have more compelling options.

I sort of think Dallas might be where he lands - I think Dallas will whiff on DeAndre and LMA.

¿ △ ?
blkexec
Member: #748
6/30/2015  10:09 AM
Not sure why anybody is hating on this lineup. ...personally i see nothing wrong with that lineup. Aflalo and west are solid vets. Monroe is a decent low post center with a mid range game and a good passer for the triangle. The only problem is defense at sf.....who's guarding bron melo? West? Whis guarding Thompson?
Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
crzymdups
USA
6/30/2015  10:11 AM
fishmike wrote:Guns, Im with you on West.. remember I started a thread about him for that role some time ago. Agree there. Affalo just isnt good enough for the money, so I would rather play two PGs and try to fill that spot with stop gaps etc..

If we have a shot at a bigger fish like Jordan or Gasol great. Hopefully we can get that big that the Wolves have rights to also, but I think this is a very good step in the right direction:
Starters:
G Jose/Galloway
F Melo/Carrol
C Monroe

I expect Jose to come back strong. He's a stabalizing player in the SL. Galloway/Carrol give you two guys who's primary roles will be to defend opposing scorers, and both are excellent shooters providing floorspacing. That line up lacks rim protectors, but Melo/Monroe are excellent rebounders. Maybe KP or Grant get their way into the starting line up but I dont see the point or the rush. The first guard off the bench will get 30 minutes and I can def see Grant getting those minutes. Im not sure if we have the money for Shved after Monroe/Carroll and so be it. I like Grant better anyway... I think thats all a step in the right direction

I agree with this - I'd prefer Carroll over Afflalo for sure. Though I don't know if we can get Carroll. A lot of this is still about who we can get. Marc Gasol isn't even meeting with any teams other than the Grizzlies. He's off the board. I think we might have an outside shot at DeAndre Jordan. It's a slim slim slim chance - but the Knicks need to make their pitch to him. Same with Carroll.

After that, I'd be fine adding Monroe and Afflalo. I'd try to pursue West with the MLE - but again, I think somewhere like Dallas is more likely where he'll go.

¿ △ ?
fishmike
USA
6/30/2015  10:11 AM
at 35 David West has made $75mm in NBA earnings. He may simply want to play where he wants to play and with whom, title chance or not. That may trump money. If he was 28 heck no.. but things change when you hit 35
gunsnewing
USA
6/30/2015  10:15 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/30/2015  10:49 AM
martin wrote:

Damn I forgot he had another year left. Me and Fish were talking about adding him for $10-12mil earlier in the season

We really need him man but you can't pay him $12+
He would really have to want to be here in New York to take the MLE. Indy will be good next year so he probably stays in Indy.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/30/2015  10:15 AM
crzymdups wrote:
martin wrote:

I actually think this is somewhat possible. He was miserable in Indiana. If he gets the full 4yr MLE - 4yr $28M or so, with the expectation that he'd be more of a coach from the bench in the last two years of the deal...

Though the word is he wants to go to a team where he can compete for a title. I think he'll have more compelling options.

I sort of think Dallas might be where he lands - I think Dallas will whiff on DeAndre and LMA.

Anyone know what the full MLE is worth this year?
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
crzymdups
USA
6/30/2015  10:17 AM
gunsnewing wrote:
martin wrote:

Damn didn't realize he had another year left

We really need him man but you can't pay him $12+
He would really have to want to be here in New York to take the MLE. Indy will be good next year so he probably stays in Indy.

He's definitely leaving Indy. He opted out. He wants to go somewhere to contend.

I think if the Knicks made some moves and seemed like they could contend he might come here. But I think other teams will offer him more money.

I think if the Knicks were to land Monroe and Afflalo-or-Carroll-or-Green they could at least present that to David West as a team that could contend, at least in the East.

Who knows though.

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
6/30/2015  10:21 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Anyone know what the full MLE is worth this year?

Using this - http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/salary_cap - and $5.46M as a starting point with 5% raises, a 4 yr midlevel deal is worth ~$23.5M

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
6/30/2015  10:24 AM
This free agency predictions article has the Knicks signing Monroe, Afflalo and West at the estimated amounts of:

Monroe 2yr $30M
Afflalo 4yr $44M
West 2yr $12M

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/6/30/8868203/nba-free-agency-predictions-kevin-love-lamarcus-aldridge

¿ △ ?
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

6/30/2015  10:32 AM
Afflalo below wvg defender who does not pass that well or rebound the ball. Now, when his contract was worth 6.5m 2yrs ago I would have taken a chance on him but if his price is anything above $5m it would be sill for the knicks to use that money on him. They would be better saving the money or giving it to some other player.

I would like West at 7m if the knicks had more money but they don't.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
6/30/2015  10:35 AM
I think West and Ajinca would be perfect compliments to each other as well as the Knicks in the Tri. And would keep the cap flexibile. I hope we got that route.

Affalo at 12mil no way but he would be a good fit IMO for under 10 on a 2 yr deal.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
gunsnewing
USA
6/30/2015  10:44 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/30/2015  12:59 PM
fishmike wrote:Guns, Im with you on West.. remember I started a thread about him for that role some time ago. Agree there. Affalo just isnt good enough for the money, so I would rather play two PGs and try to fill that spot with stop gaps etc..

Starters:
G Jose/Galloway
F Melo/Carrol
C Monroe

I agree I really like your scenarios as well.

I would not tie up to $12mil per on Affalo but maybe we get him for 7-8 if there isn't much interest around the league. His time in Portland further decreased his value. It might be just be right time to buy low. I love Gallway and Svhed but I'm not ready to pencil them in as starters unless the Knicks have to. We really need bench depth and those 2 guys along with Thanasis, Amundson, Thomas & Cole will give us a excellent bench especially if Shved and Zings provide the scoring from inside and out with the occasional break out games from Galloway, Thomas and Lou.

But I am with you I'd love to pry Carroll, Butler & Drey Green away from there teams for max money but Injust don't see hem being available. Max money will certainly net Monroe. Then you try to piece the rest of the roster together. West if he didn't have another year in Indy would be perfect. Both you and me were high on adding him to his new team and culture for all the same reasons. I wish there was a way to get him here! Affalo is good at the right price. IMO he can get hot from the perimeter and win you more games than than Galloway and Shved will. Those guys will have their fair share of big scoring games but they are not consistent from the perimeter. They don't scare the opposition with their jump shooting the way Affalo will. Affalo or someone similar drilling 3's will help spread the floor for Melo, Monroe & Zings. Balance is key. Heck JR would fit on this team with his ability to win games if it wasn't for his off the court antics.

I would love Marc Gasol if at a possible. Don't really want Jordan. For one he will not have Chris Paul penetrating and feeding him on picks and lobs here. His dismal free throw shooting will hurt us when we have to take him off the floor and it hurt the Clips. I like him despite his offensive limitations in this system but would not max him out. Whover does will be making a mistake IMO. He is not Shaq where you deal with the poor FT shooting because Shaq dominated the game on both ends. Maxing Jordan out when you don't have 2-3 top players is a mistake IMO. Even Blake and Paul isn't enough to carry the Clips with Jordan on the bench

callmened
Member: #4234

6/30/2015  10:44 AM
i have some thoughts but i decided to reserve them until after the knicks make their moves. i think right now there are a lot of smokescreens. but off the top of my head, i like affalo but im not paying over 10 mill ...smh
Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
Zings, Grant, Gomez, Monroe, West, Affalo A++++++

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy