[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Probable Roster Outlook
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
7/9/2004  6:04 PM
If the Knicks pull off Anderson/Williams/Trybanski/Harrington/Mutumbo for a re-signed Crawford, JYD, and Eddie Robinson, Crawford can get a deal starting at $5.3 million, signed for 5 years, it amounts to probably 6 years, $42-48 million.

This leaves the Knicks with 11 players under contract. To fill out the 12th spot, they could either throw in DerMarr Johnson or Trevor Ariza. I'd imagine they have those 2, plus Andre Barret (probably him, IT really likes him) or Ales Chan (if he's not a dud). So figure those 3 will be on the team in some form, so here's what the team looks like:
PG: Marbury, Norris
SG: Houston, Crawford
SF: TThomas, Penny, ERob
PF: Sweetney, JYD
C: KThomas, Mohammed
IL: Ariza, DJohnson, Barret

The Knicks still have the MLE left. If you're Isiah and the Knicks, do you use it on a guy like Chris Mihm, a young 7 footer who would provide nice depth on the frontcourt, or do you not spend it and give a guy like Ariza playing time.

If I'm Isiah, I'm spending it, but not a big contract (2-3 years). I think Mihm would be an excellent player to get and throw in the frontcourt. Could they get Etan Thomas for the full MLE? I also like Reggie Evans, the PF from Seattle. He's only 6'8", but he's a rebound monster: Ranks #5 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(5.9)/Ranks #19 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(9.4)/Ranks #7 in the NBA in Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(15.3). I'm not sure if he's a FA, but I'd wonder if he's obtainable for a guy like DerMarr Johnson, if he has a good summer league (Johnson, in my opinion, becomes the Knicks next good trade piece. If he develops into a good offensive player, he's cheap, and they don't need him with TT, Ariza, and ERob all ahead of him at the 3, and Crawford and Houston at the 2.)

Who else would you go after for the MLE (other names include Marcus Fizer, Mike Doleac, Stephen Hunter, Gary Trent, Darius Songalia), or would you not use it at all?
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
matt
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #487
USA
7/9/2004  7:05 PM
I would probably try and use it on DOleac just to add more depth to the bench. That would be a lethal combo with Crawford and Doleac off the bench with Penny and Nazr
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/9/2004  7:07 PM
Posted by matt:

I would probably try and use it on DOleac just to add more depth to the bench. That would be a lethal combo with Crawford and Doleac off the bench with Penny and Nazr
I'd rather have Etan; he's much more of a force on defense. He's a far superior rebounder and shot-blocker. Until Etan is signed by another team, I'm not even going to think about guys like Doleac or Mihm
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
7/9/2004  7:17 PM
Yea I would take a shot at Etan. The best chance we have of getting him is by offering him the full MLE at 6 years. Even though Grunfield has said that he would match any offer for the MLE he might hesitate giving that big of a committment to his backup C.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
7/9/2004  7:51 PM
Etan is not a dominant force, cause if he was, then the Wizards would have had a much better record (With the talent they have). With that being said, I think he will still be a nice solid player, and possibly even better than Kurt Thomas. I would use the MLE on him. I have a feeling that he is going to demand something more though, with guys like Rafer Alston and Adonal Foyle getting pretty big contracts (For their talent level.)
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/9/2004  8:30 PM
were not getting etan thomas for an MLE has anyone paid attention to a market that rewarded guys like Foyle for 40+mm? Blount etc.. there is no common sense top think we can offer an MLE to etan thomas and think they wont match--i really dont think he will even sign one i think he will get more.

Chris Mihm is a guy we can get for 3-4mm which is cheap right now, and since Boston spent their money on Blount+ have jefferson perkins et al i dont see a place for mihm if we jack the price up a tad. Hes a solid 7 footer BETTER WAY BETTEr than doleac and he has considerable upside.
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/9/2004  8:45 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:

Etan is not a dominant force, cause if he was, then the Wizards would have had a much better record (With the talent they have). With that being said, I think he will still be a nice solid player, and possibly even better than Kurt Thomas. I would use the MLE on him. I have a feeling that he is going to demand something more though, with guys like Rafer Alston and Adonal Foyle getting pretty big contracts (For their talent level.)
Etan is a dominant force on defense. He just doesn't play enough minutes for his stats to reflect his presence on D. And the reason he doesn't play more is that they're too committed to Kwame Brown and Washington is just plain stupid too.
Probable Roster Outlook

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy