crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
6/29/2015  5:07 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
nixluva wrote:Afflalo had a bad year with 2 trades and an injury thrown in. I don't think he'll continue to play at that low level. The season before last he had a TS% of 57.4 scored 18.8 ppg last year he had a down year after the trade ended up with a TS% of 53.3 and 13.3 ppg. I think Afflalo can bounce back and play closer to his last season in Orl. That's a much better player than it seems based on last year.

You stopped looking at total win shares and win shares per 48? Those two stats indicate that for his whole career he's been worth a lot less than the average NBA player - maybe somewhere around 3 or 4 mil per.

totally agree. I'd rather give that money to Matthwes coming off an injury than Afflalo. The real target should be D.Green but that would be a tough pull.

Which D Green?

I would prefer Danny Green as well, but he is also looking for $12M and has a ton more suitors. He would be a coup. But I think Afflalo is more realistic. He also may be a better fit for the Triangle. And again, I think we are going to need to overpay to get guys here.

¿ △ ?
AUTOADVERT
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

6/29/2015  5:21 PM
I will hate Phil Jackson if he signs afflalo to that deal
The Future is Bright!
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

6/29/2015  5:22 PM
Im sure most of us would prefer to give the money to better players but we are coming off 17 freakin wins! We had the 2nd worse record in the league. Why would top FA choose our situation over other teams who are coming off much better seasons? Maybe Afflalo is the best we can do. Hope Im wrong but it is what it is...
crzymdups
USA
6/29/2015  5:28 PM
Uptown wrote:Im sure most of us would prefer to give the money to better players but we are coming off 17 freakin wins! We had the 2nd worse record in the league. Why would top FA choose our situation over other teams who are coming off much better seasons? Maybe Afflalo is the best we can do. Hope Im wrong but it is what it is...

I agree with this.

Afflalo, Monroe, Melo, Kristaps, Jerian Grant, continued development of Galloway, better season from Calderon, a few more good low level signings... have to hope the Knicks can get over 45 wins or so with that and prove the Triangle can work. The bigger fish are gonna stay away, I think, unless Phil does his voodoo thing.

If next season is a disaster, have to think Melo asks out and Phil may be gone.

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
6/29/2015  5:29 PM
on the other hand...

¿ △ ?
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/29/2015  5:32 PM
Uptown wrote:Im sure most of us would prefer to give the money to better players but we are coming off 17 freakin wins! We had the 2nd worse record in the league. Why would top FA choose our situation over other teams who are coming off much better seasons? Maybe Afflalo is the best we can do. Hope Im wrong but it is what it is...

I'd be willing to slightly overpay but I think that's at least 4 and maybe 10 times what Afflalo is worth. I'd rather just keep Galloway and Grant and find a couple of vet min guys than blow half our cap space on Afflalo.
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

6/29/2015  5:43 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
nixluva wrote:Afflalo had a bad year with 2 trades and an injury thrown in. I don't think he'll continue to play at that low level. The season before last he had a TS% of 57.4 scored 18.8 ppg last year he had a down year after the trade ended up with a TS% of 53.3 and 13.3 ppg. I think Afflalo can bounce back and play closer to his last season in Orl. That's a much better player than it seems based on last year.

You stopped looking at total win shares and win shares per 48? Those two stats indicate that for his whole career he's been worth a lot less than the average NBA player - maybe somewhere around 3 or 4 mil per.

totally agree. I'd rather give that money to Matthwes coming off an injury than Afflalo. The real target should be D.Green but that would be a tough pull.

Which D Green?

danny

crzymdups
USA
6/29/2015  5:45 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:

I'd be willing to slightly overpay but I think that's at least 4 and maybe 10 times what Afflalo is worth. I'd rather just keep Galloway and Grant and find a couple of vet min guys than blow half our cap space on Afflalo.

I agree that SG might not be as much of a need position as we're acting like it is. Grant and Galloway and Shved and maybe Thanasis should be able to play average NBA ball there, if not better.

But, yeah, I'd rather invest in the middle of the floor and try to find cheaper wing production.

It'd be nice to find last year's DeMarre Carroll for $4M instead of overpay for this year's DeMarre Carroll.

That said, I think Afflalo would be a very good Triangle fit. I'd just rather pay him $8M than $12M.

But a big part of me thinks this is about Melo. Anyone making the connection that Melo pitched a fit when they traded Tim Hardaway and two days later we hear that the Knicks are prepared to offer Melo's old teammate and buddy at SG Aaron Afflalo $12M per? I think Afflalo is a better Triangle fit and a way better all around player than THjr, but this feels like trying to appease a cranky Melo.

¿ △ ?
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

6/29/2015  7:20 PM
fishmike wrote:Monroe fills an easy to see need. What does Afflalo bring?

A shooting guard that can shoot? Something we don't actually have? If he is cheap I would be ok with him, I still don't think we should pay that much money to Monroe.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
meloshouldgo

6/29/2015  7:22 PM
Finestrg wrote:Well, for anyone who wants Monroe, this has got to make you feel a little better after hearing speculation today that Monroe may not sign here. I definitely want Monroe -- this dude can be a 20/12 player in this league with only a few more mins a night and a couple more shots up at the basket a night. No question in my mind about that. They go about it a little differently but basically everything I like about Enes Kanter I like about this guy as well. He's basically everything we'd want out of Jahlil Okafor if we had drafted that kid. I honestly don't see much of a difference in Greg Monroe and Okafor. If anything, Greg Monroe is a lot closer to realizing 20/10 production than Okafor is. I find it funny that 99% of people would've loved Okafor in the draft but it feels like less than 50% of the peeps around here don't want Monroe. What's the big difference between the two? Okafor a little wider/thicker (which could present a problem down the road if Jahlil doesn't take care of himself) but honestly, I don't really see any difference.. With Monroe, ya figure there's a lot less waiting to get close to that 20/10 level of play...He'd be a very good signing.

Afflalo? I don't know about that one -- nice player, he's in that Wes Matthews class for me. How much is this guy looking for? I'm tellin' ya -- I wouldn't look to throw a ton of money at the 2G spot. Try to bring back Shved, add and continue cultivating Ricky Ledo then look to the DL and/or inexpensive Euro. FAs for a 3rd 2G for depth -- guys like Daniel Hackett (let's see what he's got in SL), Scotty Hopson, Kevin Murphy (innate ability to go out there and score the ball), Orlando Johnson, Jerrell Eddie, Dominique Jones (Phil likes bigger versatile 2s that can handle and distribute the ball--that's exactly what this guy is), maybe Michael Frazier (just because GS is bringing him in for SL doesn't mean his their property -- we can still swoop in an make an offer. Can't picture him sticking with that team anyway--and if he did, how much PT is he ever really getting there? Dude can really shoot it)...Afflalo is a good player but I don't like him for Wes Matthews money. I want Monroe -- that's $15-16mm right there. And I want Monroe as my starting PF. I still want a C. If you told me we could go out an add Monroe and Alexis Ajinca first and then take a crack at Afflalo knowing we also have Shved locked up -- OK. One good thing about bringing in Afflalo though -- he might make NY that much more of an attractive place for a Greg Monroe to sign with. I dunno--my gut tell me conserve cap space here and look for a cheaper solution.

Okafor wasn't my choice in he draft but he would be on a rookie contract. Monroe would be on teh max salary. Are you really comparing those two?

meloshouldgo

6/29/2015  7:24 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:I don't mind Afflalo... but $12M per for Afflalo is basically Melo service. sigh.

Is that the price??? That's about ten times what I'd offer him!

Yuck.. that truly is wayyy too high

Rosey
Member: #6056

6/29/2015  7:41 PM
Matthews, Green, Affalo - if the market rate for this tier is $10+M then I would pass. We don't have enough and still fill other pieces. Monroe will definitely command the max. Not saying he's worth it but that's the market and not sure what a better alternative is. If we sign Monroe, I can see using the remaining $11M to split among 2 complimentary bigs. I would look at Ajinca, West, O'Quinn or maybe Ed Davis. I like that they seem to be exploring Europe and D-League to find surprises.
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

6/29/2015  8:09 PM
crzymdups wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:I don't mind Afflalo... but $12M per for Afflalo is basically Melo service. sigh.

Is that the price??? That's about ten times what I'd offer him!

Wojo saying 3yr $36M-$38M

Again, we don't know who is leaking this info. Knowing Wojo - he's got ties to the Detroit front office and Andy Miller and some other agents. I'm guessing his reporting is agent driven at this point, so may not be entirely accurate. But he's right more often than a lot of other guys.

The deal he just opted out of was just over 7 for next year so how is he now worth 5 more than that?? So he goes from 7 per to 12 per?? Unless i'm wrong and it was more than 7 but i'm pretty sure i saw something saying it was a little over 7.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
6/29/2015  8:10 PM
I was hoping his value was rock bottom and we could get him for a 2 yr 6-8mil deal.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
EwingsGlass
Member: #893
USA
6/29/2015  8:30 PM
crzymdups wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Finestrg wrote:Wow -- $12mm a year for Afflalo!?! No thanks. We could go get 2Gs just as talented for 500K. Why spend that much on this guy? Tell me.

next season, that will be the avg salary

Exactly - the cap is doubling. The average player salary is the MLE right now and it's almost $6M per. Soon it will be $12M per.

10 PER is below average by a lot. Average is like 15.6. D League players can do better. hard pass on Afflalo. I wouldn't want anyone getting ideas.
This is the Randle.
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

6/29/2015  8:34 PM
Finestrg wrote:Wow -- $12mm a year for Afflalo!?! No thanks. We could go get 2Gs just as talented for 500K. Why spend that much on this guy? Tell me.

At 6 its cool , 12 million is fricken nuts

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

6/29/2015  8:38 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Exactly - the cap is doubling. The average player salary is the MLE right now and it's almost $6M per. Soon it will be $12M per.

1248 keeps saying next season. The cap is only going up by about 3 mil this next season. I think he (and you) mean three years from now.

Next season the league has proposed the cap going up to $86M in 2016 and like $108M in 2017 (also 2017 is potentially a lockout year, yay). The player's association is still protesting that, I believe, because the league is trying to graduate the cap slowly as opposed to giving the players the full 50% of league revenue. If the league were actually giving 50% of revenue the cap would by $108M or something NEXT summer (meaning for the 2016-2017 season, the first year the league gets its TV money from the new deal). I'm pretty sure the NBPA is still trying to get this.

When you say next season, you mean the one after the upcoming season, right? Next season as in 2016-17? Then 108 mil is 3 years from now (2017-18)
In other words, if Afflalo got a 3 year deal, only 1 year would overlap with the 108 mil cap explosion.

I think they will lock the players out

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
6/29/2015  9:22 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

10 PER is below average by a lot. Average is like 15.6. D League players can do better. hard pass on Afflalo. I wouldn't want anyone getting ideas.

Exactly. I don't want Afflalo making 12 mil per unless the cap is going to be at least 500 mil.
s3231
Member: #544
USA
6/29/2015  9:28 PM
Ughhh, that can't be right. Affalo at $12MM per year makes no sense whatsoever....
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
TPercy
Member: #5748

6/29/2015  9:30 PM
s3231 wrote:Ughhh, that can't be right. Affalo at $12MM per year makes no sense whatsoever....

I agree. That money should be better spent on our frontcourt.

The Future is Bright!
Knicks frontrunners for Monroe, Afflalo per Wojnarowski

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy