Author Thread
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
7/4/2015  8:36 AM
crzymdups wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
VCoug wrote:According to Wikipedia we signed Luigi Datome to a 2-year/$5M deal.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2015/6/4/8723065/luigi-datome-the-man-the-myth-the-legend

Odd place to break the news,if true

Wait wtf is this true?

I honestly think someone is trolling the Knicks on this one.

¿ △ ?
AUTOADVERT
EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
7/4/2015  8:52 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:

1 PG Jerian Grant 1,310,000
2 SG Arron Afflalo 7,800,000
3 SF Derrick Williams 4,870,000
4 PF Carmelo Anthony 22,875,000
5 C Robin Lopez 12,500,000
6 Jose Calderon 7,400,000
7 Cleanthony Early 845,000
8 Langston Galloway 845,000
9 Kristaps Porzingis 3,443,100
10 Cap Hold - Vet Min Exception 525,000
11 Cap Hold - Vet Min Exception 525,000
12 Cap Hold - Vet Min Exception 525,000
13 Cap Hold - Vet Min Exception 525,000
14 Vet Min Exception
15 Room Exception

Assumed Cap
$68,000,000

Total Used

Space Remaining
$4,011,900.00

Good breakdown. Also, since the next player will take up the cap hold you can add the 525k to the money remaining.

That's true. Might not be as clear. So, a $4.5m player, the $2.8mm room exception and then DLeague contracts or the Vet Min exceptions. Here is the other side, if they left enough room, they may not have to renounce all their players to make these signings which would let us go over the cap to sign Shved, Aldrich, etc...

This is the Randle.
crzymdups
USA
7/4/2015  9:08 AM
I hope we don't renounce Cole and Lou Amundson. We need some lunch pail guys.
¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
7/4/2015  9:09 AM
crzymdups wrote:I hope we don't renounce Cole and Lou Amundson. We need some lunch pail guys.

I also wouldn't mind bringing back Shved and Lance Thomas.

I don't see the point in Jason Smith though.

¿ △ ?
EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
7/4/2015  9:32 AM
crzymdups wrote:I hope we don't renounce Cole and Lou Amundson. We need some lunch pail guys.

Amundsen is a vet min player. Renounce or not, you can have him if you want. Cole is a guy I want back. Shved, if he is coming, is the room exception. Thomas is a vet min player. I think you can have all 4 players... Curious if anyone knows what Cole's cap hold is.

This is the Randle.
VCoug
Member: #1406

7/4/2015  9:37 AM
Good comment over on knickerblogger, sums up my opinion:

I’m kind of happy about Robin Lopez, and I’m looking forward to rooting for Money Zingis (won’t give up on that one), but I think there is way, way too much optimism about this offseason. Just to put a fine point on it:

The two seemingly small contracts plus options the Knicks gave Afflalo plus Williams are exactly the size of the two contracts that Hinkie took from Sacramento in Landry and Thompson. He not only got a first rounder for that, but he also got two 1st round swap options (which can be hugely valuable) AND Stauskas. What’s amazing about that is that it’s not at all obvious that Afflalo and Derrick Williams are likely to better players than Jason Thompson and Carl Landry over the next two years. And even if they are, it will be meaningless to the Knicks who (1) will be bad this year anyway (2) only have options for year two. These are extremely low benefit moves for a franchise in our position. And the idea that guys like this on one year deals help attract future free agents to the Knicks seems kinda nuts.

The Knicks might now have $20m of 2016 cap space spoken for by Afflalo, Calderon and Williams. They will have another $42m or so take up by Melo, Lopez, and the two rooks. If the cap is $89 million, that would leave ~$27m across 6 slots. This is just to point out that these options and Calderon’s contract are not trivial in the scheme of things. It seems crazy to have been in intense salary dump mode and yet still run a risk of struggling to even get to a $25 million second-tier max salary for Mike Conley. Small, stupid risks add up.

Also… Winslow!

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

7/4/2015  9:39 AM
EwingsGlass wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:

14 Vet Min Exception
15 Room Exception

Assumed Cap
$68,000,000

Total Used

Space Remaining
$4,011,900.00

Good breakdown. Also, since the next player will take up the cap hold you can add the 525k to the money remaining.

That's true. Might not be as clear. So, a $4.5m player, the $2.8mm room exception and then DLeague contracts or the Vet Min exceptions. Here is the other side, if they left enough room, they may not have to renounce all their players to make these signings which would let us go over the cap to sign Shved, Aldrich, etc...

They should have to the room for Cole and the other vet min guys but I doubt they will need to go over the cap to sign those guys. If they really want Shved they could even get his rights back if I read it correctly.

Also, they may have more money than the 4.5 if the cap is $69m so it is possible that they might have $5.5m

If the knicks were smart they would see if they can lock C.J. Watson down with the room exception then they could cut or move calderon freeing up more space.

Side note: If the Datome signing is real the figures need to be readjusted.

crzymdups
USA
7/4/2015  10:07 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/4/2015  10:11 AM
VCoug wrote:Good comment over on knickerblogger, sums up my opinion:

I’m kind of happy about Robin Lopez, and I’m looking forward to rooting for Money Zingis (won’t give up on that one), but I think there is way, way too much optimism about this offseason. Just to put a fine point on it:

The two seemingly small contracts plus options the Knicks gave Afflalo plus Williams are exactly the size of the two contracts that Hinkie took from Sacramento in Landry and Thompson. He not only got a first rounder for that, but he also got two 1st round swap options (which can be hugely valuable) AND Stauskas. What’s amazing about that is that it’s not at all obvious that Afflalo and Derrick Williams are likely to better players than Jason Thompson and Carl Landry over the next two years. And even if they are, it will be meaningless to the Knicks who (1) will be bad this year anyway (2) only have options for year two. These are extremely low benefit moves for a franchise in our position. And the idea that guys like this on one year deals help attract future free agents to the Knicks seems kinda nuts.

The Knicks might now have $20m of 2016 cap space spoken for by Afflalo, Calderon and Williams. They will have another $42m or so take up by Melo, Lopez, and the two rooks. If the cap is $89 million, that would leave ~$27m across 6 slots. This is just to point out that these options and Calderon’s contract are not trivial in the scheme of things. It seems crazy to have been in intense salary dump mode and yet still run a risk of struggling to even get to a $25 million second-tier max salary for Mike Conley. Small, stupid risks add up.

Also… Winslow!

That's a fair read. Afflalo was clearly brought in to appease Melo,

But the Knicks could have used their cap space as a way to get assets.

Hinkie has done some dumb stuff, but that was a great trade.

Though the player options likely mean Afflalo and Williams will opt out next season, which means we should have in the neighborhood of $35-40M in cap room. If we show a lot of improvement here, guys will come next season

¿ △ ?
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/4/2015  10:41 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:

14 Vet Min Exception
15 Room Exception

Assumed Cap
$68,000,000

Total Used

Space Remaining
$4,011,900.00

They should have to the room for Cole and the other vet min guys but I doubt they will need to go over the cap to sign those guys. If they really want Shved they could even get his rights back if I read it correctly.

Also, they may have more money than the 4.5 if the cap is $69m so it is possible that they might have $5.5m

If the knicks were smart they would see if they can lock C.J. Watson down with the room exception then they could cut or move calderon freeing up more space.

Side note: If the Datome signing is real the figures need to be readjusted.

What is up with Datome? Googled him and saw on his wiki that the Knicks signed him on 7/2. No one else is saying anything about him. When I searched for him his name came up in a rumor that would have sent him to the Knicks as part of a Calderon trade when the Pistons first lost Jennings.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/4/2015  10:44 AM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/4/2015  10:54 AM
CrushAlot wrote:

wow that is weird

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

7/4/2015  11:27 AM
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

wow that is weird

What does it say.
The Future is Bright!
TPercy
Member: #5748

7/4/2015  11:33 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/4/2015  11:35 AM
Right Now

Grant;Caledron;Galloway
Afflalo;(Nobody);Ledo
Melo;Thanasis;Early
KP;D Williams;(Nobody)
Lopez;(Nobody);(Nobody)

Four spots to fill out.
SG Options: KJ Mcdaniels
Reserve PF Options: Labeyrie,Amundson, Jason Smith, Scola
Back up C Options: Gomez, Cole, Ovidijus
Reserve C Options:Cole, Jason Smith, Kendrick Perkins

The Future is Bright!
VCoug
Member: #1406

7/4/2015  11:34 AM
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

wow that is weird

Not really. After the Afflalo and Lopez signings we didn't have anywhere nearly enough cap space to make a legit offer.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

7/4/2015  11:38 AM
VCoug wrote:
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

wow that is weird

Not really. After the Afflalo and Lopez signings we didn't have anywhere nearly enough cap space to make a legit offer.

Yeah, the best they could do if they stretched Calderon is what Orlando gave him so that would have been a waste of time. I still think Tobias will be traded though.

crzymdups
USA
7/4/2015  11:44 AM
TPercy wrote:
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

wow that is weird

What does it say.

To me it says people knew Orlando would match.

¿ △ ?
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/4/2015  11:58 AM
VCoug wrote:
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

wow that is weird

Makes sense.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

7/4/2015  4:28 PM
smackeddog wrote:Honestly, after seeing how this offseason went down I would rather have traded with the Kings for Thompson, Stauskas and Landry plus a first rounder and the right to swap 2 future first rounders, and just signed Lopez. Forget Afflalo and Williams.

Sam Hinkie was an assistant and got his first front office job in Houston in 2005. That means, unlike Phil Jackson, Hinkie was able to accrue a decade of front office experience before making the trade with Sacto. Who is a special adviser to Vivek Ranadive, owner of the Kings? Chris Mullin, who was GM of the Warriors way back when Hinkie was making his bones and paying his dues.

Nixluva will rant on and on pointlessly about Phil Jackson does this and Phil Jackson did that. But one thing Phil Jackson does not have is those ingrained built in relationships with agents, scouts and other front office stalwarts around the league, which are critical for making these kind of deals.

Phil Jackson, great head coach, no doubt in anyone's mind.

But as a rookie GM? His learning curve is costing the Knicks assets and opportunity. Just like Vlade Divac will either get burned off the Kings front office or have to learn the hard way from that horrible deal with Philly.

The Knicks current needs simply cannot accommodate the learning curve of a new GM, esp one with such a short lifespan for the team.

Sam Hinkie however is 37 years old. He could give the 76ers a strong 30 years of future GM work if he works out as they hope.

smackeddog
Member: #883
7/4/2015  5:02 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Honestly, after seeing how this offseason went down I would rather have traded with the Kings for Thompson, Stauskas and Landry plus a first rounder and the right to swap 2 future first rounders, and just signed Lopez. Forget Afflalo and Williams.

Sam Hinkie was an assistant and got his first front office job in Houston in 2005. That means, unlike Phil Jackson, Hinkie was able to accrue a decade of front office experience before making the trade with Sacto. Who is a special adviser to Vivek Ranadive, owner of the Kings? Chris Mullin, who was GM of the Warriors way back when Hinkie was making his bones and paying his dues.

Nixluva will rant on and on pointlessly about Phil Jackson does this and Phil Jackson did that. But one thing Phil Jackson does not have is those ingrained built in relationships with agents, scouts and other front office stalwarts around the league, which are critical for making these kind of deals.

But as a rookie GM? His learning curve is costing the Knicks assets and opportunity. Just like Vlade Divac will either get burned off the Kings front office or have to learn the hard way from that horrible deal with Philly.

The Knicks current needs simply cannot accommodate the learning curve of a new GM, esp one with such a short lifespan for the team.

Sam Hinkie however is 37 years old. He could give the 76ers a strong 30 years of future GM work if he works out as they hope.

There's more to being a GM than just acquiring picks- he hasn't done a good job using them, nor has he shown any talent for building a team

wargames
Member: #6053

7/4/2015  6:10 PM
smackeddog wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

There's more to being a GM than just acquiring picks- he hasn't done a good job using them, nor has he shown any talent for building a team

A lot of his moves make sense if the end goal was to gut the roster and go young. Even re-signing Makes sense because he'll get assets back.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Official: New York Knicks 2015 Free Agency Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy