[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

now if you're the cavs
Author Thread
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
7/9/2004  3:40 AM
Do you break your team in order to clear capspace to get back boozier ?

Seeing how bad this story is, would you bring back a guy that has backstabbed you ?

That sounds just too impossible fot me. Hopw could you have this guy in the team ? but at the same time, how can you accept to loose him for nothing ?

This is now a loose-loose deal for the cavs.

This story is plain sad.

At least, we've gotten better in a way, since the cavs have gotten worse.

So if you're the cavs, what would you do ?
AUTOADVERT
raven
Canada
7/9/2004  5:37 AM
btw I've voted on a espn survey about that boozer affair, you can check below the results (smiley next to each of my answers):

Vote: Did Boozer behave cavalierly?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SportsNation

Thank you for voting. See below for the results from across SportsNation.

Your responses in bold text below.

1) Did the Cavaliers make a mistake?

65.8% Yes -- they should never have opened the door for Boozer to leave.

34.2% No -- they expected him to keep his word.

2) Will and should Cleveland GM Jim Paxson be fired for letting Boozer get away?

46.3% He won't, and he shouldn't.

31.4% He won't, but he should.

13.9% He will, and he should.

8.4% He will, but he shouldn't.

3) How angry do you think LeBron James is right now?

59.4% Extremely

34.1% Somewhat

6.5% Not at all

4) What do you think of Boozer's action?

51.2% He should be ashamed.

48.8% All's fair in love and basketball.

5) What do you think of Utah's action?

90.4% They are just trying to win.

9.6% They should have honored the Cavaliers' oral agreement.

6) Is this a good signing by Utah?

72.8% Yes -- 22-year-old power forwards are worth it.

27.2% No -- they overpaid.

Total Votes: 37,179

diderotn
Member: #650
USA
7/9/2004  7:49 AM
what people have forgotten is that Boozer was picked in the second round and is practically not making any money with the Cavs. I am all for what he did. If scrubbs like Shandon Anderson getting pay, Boozer as a good player should. Fvck the Cavs. If they cared so much, they should have offered the man the money from the first place. After all, if this kid gets injured, there is a good chance that he will never see that type of offer ever again. This was a business decision.
The true Knickabocker..........
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/9/2004  8:00 AM
The cavs can match and the kids deserves market value. He was set to make 700k this year? Now he signs for 70mil, and he is still under 30 when that deal is done!

Cha, ching. Booze is ok here. Lebron should know all about the money. IF not, he would be getting ready for Soph season down at Duke.
diderotn
USA
7/9/2004  8:16 AM
For the owner of this thread, if you have to go to a team who is willing to not only show you the money, and best of all be the star Vs being a role player for a team that has crowned a high-school super star as their mega star, oh, let's not forget that you are only slotted to make 800.000 for the next season, which one would you have chosen?????
raven
Canada
7/9/2004  8:29 AM
I find very fair that booze get paid something he's worth.

Yet, if he really had given his word, then switching side is really bad. Money is one thing, honnesty and integrity is another.

My point is maybe the cavs didn't pay him a lot, but at least they picked him when no team did. They inserted him in the starting lineup and gave him PT, that he earned and paid them back.

I just hope that he didn't promise them he would resign provided them let him be a RFA. otherwise, what to think about that kind of guy ?

[Edited by - raven on 07/09/2004 08:29:46]
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/9/2004  9:55 AM
Wait- fair?

Cleveland could have exercised their option for him next year, paid him $795K and watched him blow out his knee day two, career ended!

And boozer would be working for a living like you and me.

Instead, they said- Carlos, we want to reward you early- you deserve it, we can offer to sign you long term for $40 million, and at that point, resign you for even more.

Cleveland was not paying him peanuts because they wanted to, its dictated by the fact that he was a second round pick.

Cleveland was trying to reward a guy early and take away his risk of not cashing in because he got a career ending injury while under his first contract.

My mom always says- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished.

Karma will catch up with Boozer, though.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/9/2004  10:01 AM
Cavs were trying to entice him to take the mid level now or try his luck next year.

The cavs should have extended him NOW instead of just lowballing with a MLE for a big whos value is obviously higher.

Im not saying Booze did not back peddle, but the cavs did not due the dilligence they were supposed to.

Booze can now buy a mountain top retreat and ski to work!
diderotn
USA
7/9/2004  10:03 AM
Boozer will be the next Malone if he truly endup in Utah.
raven
Canada
7/9/2004  10:08 AM
Posted by Nalod:

but the cavs did not due the dilligence they were supposed to.

I would instead say that the cavs did not have the intelligence they were supposed to, in that situation.

They shouldn't have done that and as you said, extend him with 100% security.

They took a risk and he cheated. In my book both things are bad, but the second is the worst.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/9/2004  11:30 AM
IMHO--the Cavs HAVE to dump players and I believe they can. I'm pretty sure that they would be willing to dump Wagner[contract is about 3mm and make a team take an extra 2mm Diop+ throw in a 1st round pick] that would give them the space to match. They can IF they want fill in those back up positions with vet minimums.
There is no way NO way they can lose Boozer and when they realize their brutal mistake, if they are ready to bite the bullet and admit to themselves a mistake, its not to late to rectify it with only minimal damage. You CANT lose good BIGS, especially 22 year old one's.
RIP Crushalot😞
nyballer
Member: #108
USA
7/9/2004  12:31 PM
Posted by raven:

Do you break your team in order to clear capspace to get back boozier ?

Seeing how bad this story is, would you bring back a guy that has backstabbed you ?

That sounds just too impossible fot me. Hopw could you have this guy in the team ? but at the same time, how can you accept to loose him for nothing ?

This is now a loose-loose deal for the cavs.

This story is plain sad.

At least, we've gotten better in a way, since the cavs have gotten worse.

So if you're the cavs, what would you do ?
I can see them trying to do a sign and trade type of thing with Boozer, maybe theyll try boozer and wagner for ray allen or one of the many unhappy stars
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
7/9/2004  12:59 PM
Cavs are screwed at this point. They are probably just going to let Boozer walk. If this happened earlier, I think Cleveland would have a better shot at clearing cap space to match that offer, but at this stage many teams under the cap have already spent most of their money other than Denver and Atlanta. Atlanta doesn't seem to want any long term contracts (that's why they haven't gone after any free agents besides Kenyon) so I don't think Cleveland will be able to dump players on them. As for Denver, they will probably be using most of their cap space in an attempt to get Kenyon since Manu Ginobli is resigning with the Spurs. In the end, the Cavs will most likely lose Boozer. Plus, you have to remember, even if they do clear the cap space, do they want to bring Boozer back after he choose to sign an offer sheet for Utah? Paxson screwed up hard and as Briggs said, he was just trying to lowball Boozer into a long term contract before he would demand much more money next year.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
7/9/2004  1:10 PM
is there any possible way that the Cavs can unload, say Illgauskas & another contract, to a team w/cap space, like ATL, for cap space, then turn around & offer K-Mart a max level contract instead & forget about Boozer? that might be 1 way they can salvage something positive out of this...as it is, they'd be unlikely to sign Z to a big extension anyway w/his injury history...& a Lebron/K-Mart tandem would be a good foundation to build around.

[Edited by - TMS on 07/09/2004 13:10:41]
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
7/9/2004  1:27 PM
I think they can move big Z pretty easily at this point, but one of the Cavs strength was that they could field a power frontcourt.

Boozer & his agent seriously dicked over the Cavs organization. The Cavs, however, should have protected their own interests and said sorry buddy, you signed a contract, so honor it--- thus picking up their TEAM OPTION. Yeah, Boozer and his agent would have whined, but tough ****.

Now what should they do to fix this situation? They'll have to mortgage their future to get him in a Cavs uniform, which is kind of futile if you ask me.

Bad mistake on the Cavs part...
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
s3231
USA
7/9/2004  3:49 PM
Posted by TMS:

is there any possible way that the Cavs can unload, say Illgauskas & another contract, to a team w/cap space, like ATL, for cap space, then turn around & offer K-Mart a max level contract instead & forget about Boozer? that might be 1 way they can salvage something positive out of this...as it is, they'd be unlikely to sign Z to a big extension anyway w/his injury history...& a Lebron/K-Mart tandem would be a good foundation to build around.

[Edited by - TMS on 07/09/2004 13:10:41]

Atlanta has made it clear that they really don't want any big contracts (Kenyon is the only free agent they went after even though they have a ton of cap space). Big Z makes a lot of money and I'm not sure Atlanta would take him even though I think he only has 1 year remaining on his contract. If this thing with Boozer occurred earlier on I think Cleveland wouldn't have not trouble giving up players to get under the cap, but as I said earlier, a lot of teams that were under the cap have already used of most of if not all of their money. I think Paxson will just let Boozer go at this point.

[Edited by - s3231 on 07/09/2004 15:50:00]
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
7/9/2004  4:07 PM
Z has an expiring deal, which is the only reason why i think a deal like this might be feasible...otherwise, i wouldn't even suggest it...i don't think K-Mart will sign w/ATL...he will either re-sign w/NJ or sign w/DEN depending on their offer...but if the CAVS got involved w/a fair offer, i think he would love to go play alongside Lebron for the rest of his career.

ATL won't want to come out of this offseason totally empty handed...if they can't land a big FA, then someone like Z offers them an upgrade in their frontcourt while still keeping their cap flexibility going forward after this season...& he can easily be traded to another team at the trading deadline for even more cap relief & picks.

besides, don't they have to at least meet a minimum salary level anyway?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
MX25
Member: #555
USA
7/9/2004  4:11 PM
People trying to defend Boozer are insane.

Cavs didn't have to give Boozer any more than 690,00 he was owed. They thought..Lets give him a nice raise. THEY COULDN'T GIVE HIM ANYMORE THAN 6 YEARS 40 Million.

They didn't low ball Boozer. They gave him as much as they were allowed to under NBA Rules.

Cavs=Gullible..Boozer=Liar
s3231
USA
7/9/2004  4:24 PM
Posted by MX25:

People trying to defend Boozer are insane.

Cavs didn't have to give Boozer any more than 690,00 he was owed. They thought..Lets give him a nice raise. THEY COULDN'T GIVE HIM ANYMORE THAN 6 YEARS 40 Million.

They didn't low ball Boozer. They gave him as much as they were allowed to under NBA Rules.

Cavs=Gullible..Boozer=Liar

If they had just let Boozer's contract expire next year they would have his Bird's rights. With the Bird's rights they would be able to give Boozer more money than any other team could. Why do you think we are saying that they lowballed Boozer? We know that they can't offer more than the MLE this summer but if they had waited they would be able to give Boozer more money in a longterm deal. They weren't thinking, "Lets give him a nice raise," it was more along the lines of, "We better give him a long term deal now before we have to pay him more money next year." I'm not defending Boozer at all because it is pretty wrong to leave your team for more money (which about everyone of us would've done too), however, the Cavs screwed up bigtime.

[Edited by - s3231 on 07/09/2004 17:37:37]
s3231
USA
7/9/2004  4:30 PM
Posted by TMS:

Z has an expiring deal, which is the only reason why i think a deal like this might be feasible...otherwise, i wouldn't even suggest it...i don't think K-Mart will sign w/ATL...he will either re-sign w/NJ or sign w/DEN depending on their offer...but if the CAVS got involved w/a fair offer, i think he would love to go play alongside Lebron for the rest of his career.

ATL won't want to come out of this offseason totally empty handed...if they can't land a big FA, then someone like Z offers them an upgrade in their frontcourt while still keeping their cap flexibility going forward after this season...& he can easily be traded to another team at the trading deadline for even more cap relief & picks.

besides, don't they have to at least meet a minimum salary level anyway?

I agree, if Atlanta takes Big Z it would only be because of his expiring contract. But even if they do that, Atlanta won't be saving any money at all because they cannot send any players back to the Cavs since they would be trying to get under the cap. If the Hawks do take Big Z, it would mostly just be a year rental. I just don't think the Cavs will do anything about the Boozer situation, they will probably make him walk. Lets look at it this way, if Paxson is telling the truth and it was in fact Boozer who wanted Cleveland to not pick up his contract, then would you really want him back? I wouldn't...
now if you're the cavs

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy