Canada
7/9/2004  3:25 AM
Boozer reveals he's all about the money
Story Tools: Print Email
Sean Deveney /
Posted: 5 hours ago

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2566204

This is bad.

This is one of those stories that gets decent folks fired, that makes the general population less trustful, that tarnishes athletes with a scarlet G for greed, that makes the average fan think of sports agents the way they think of, say, debt collectors or Lyme disease.
At first, it does not sound so bad: Carlos Boozer agreed to a deal with the Jazz, and, a source says, it's for six years and nearly $70 million, somewhat front-loaded to make it a tougher contract to match. Boozer has earned a big contract, with averages of 15.5 points and 11.7 rebounds in his second season.

But this ... this is bad.

I remember talking with Boozer in January about his long-term plans. He acknowledged there was a chance he could leave the Cavs in the off-season, but the possibility seemed remote. All the Cavs had to do was pick up the team option it held on Boozer for next season at less than $700,000, then sign Boozer to a long-term deal in 2005. It seemed Boozer would be teamed with guard LeBron James for a long time in Cleveland. "In the future, that is going to be the program for the Cavs," Boozer said. "LeBron is establishing himself as one of the best young guys in the league, and I am trying to do the same thing — establish myself as one of the best young power forwards.:

Essentially, Boozer had to choose which was more important — his word or his bank account. He chose bank account.

Boozer did that with his breakout performance last season. Then, this summer, Boozer and the Cavs explored a different possibility — they could toss out the team option for 2004-05 altogether, make Boozer a restricted free agent, then re-sign him to a six-year deal in the $40 million range. That way, Boozer could start collecting on a big contract earlier, and the Cavs would have one of their rising stars locked up. Boozer, according to a statement from Cavs owner Gordon Gund and general manager Jim Paxson, verbally agreed to this.

So, when the Cavaliers had the opportunity to exercise their one-year, $700,000 option on Boozer's deal early last week, they declined, making Boozer a restricted free agent. That was not a problem, because he had agreed to re-sign with the team.

Until this weekend, that is.

With Boozer a free agent, Denver began to show interest. Utah, sensing an opportunity and sensing pressure to finally spend some of its cap money, came up with the extremely generous offer of just under $70 million. Boozer had made a verbal commitment to the Cavs, but the Jazz were bettering Cleveland's offer by almost $30 million. Essentially, Boozer had to choose which was more important — his word or his bank account. He chose bank account.

To be fair, the Cavs would have gotten a bargain by signing Boozer for $40 million, and Boozer did nothing wrong by NBA rules. He got the most money he could, which is something most employees would do. But the fact is, he lied to the Cavs, the team that gave him a shot in the second round of the draft, the team that inserted him in the starting lineup and allowed him to shine, the team that was trying to do the right thing by him. Boozer and his agent, Rob Pelinka, double-crossed the Cavs by getting them to allow him out of his contract, then bolting for bigger money when the Cavs could have had him another year for minimum-contract money.

Paxson bungled this, and could get fired. But he shouldn't, not for this (there may be other reasons to fire Paxson, but that's another column). As far as Boozer goes, Paxson's only fault was that he trusted a guy who turned out to be a liar. According to the statement, Gund seemed to trust Boozer as much as Paxson did — if the owner was gullible enough to be duped by Boozer, then he probably won't fire his GM because he was duped, too. "Our actions," the joint statement read, "have been based on what Carlos told us he wanted."

But, if the Cavaliers are to be believed, Carlos is a liar, which is what makes this a really crummy story. The Cavaliers look bad for flubbing the situation. Pelinka and Boozer — Benedict Boozer, as folks in Cleveland will come to know him — come out with an air of scum around them. And fans … well, I would not blame fans for being a little less enthusiastic about the NBA next year because of this.

The Jazz, of course, are the only entity to come out of all this with its reputation intact, having landed a top-notch power forward, adding to a huge off-season for the team. It now has Boozer to go with its frontcourt of center Mehmet Okur (assuming Detroit allows him to leave) and forward Andrei Kirilenko. Utah, which drafted Kris Humphries and Kirk Snyder, could now look to deal Matt Harpring.

For Utah, then, this is good. For everyone else, this is just bad.

Sean Deveney is a staff writer for Sporting News. Email him at sdeveney@sportingnews.com.

AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/9/2004  7:54 AM
THe cavs were 30 million lower. If boozer waited a year he could have left unrestricted! So he got it a year earlier. 30mil MORE is a lot of money, and Cleveland can match it.

Teams will fry a player in a heartbeat. This kid got lowballed into the second round and worked his ass off.

Cleveland had lots of time to extend the kid and perhaps could have handled it better. It takes two.

A mil or 5, yeah you maybe stay loyal. 70mil vs 40? Sorry, thats freaking huge. And getting a chunk upfront makes it even more valuable.

djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/9/2004  8:23 AM
bad ethics. cleveland didn't pick up the option in good faith and if boozer leaves then he'll eventually pay in what he did. it was a stupid decision by paxson, one that will probably get him fired but in a business laden with lies, when the cavs finally show some faith, they get screwed. unbelievable.
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
7/9/2004  8:33 AM
Posted by Nalod:

THe cavs were 30 million lower. If boozer waited a year he could have left unrestricted! So he got it a year earlier.

One yr after, they'd have had his bird rights and could have offered him more than any other team.

Maybe they tried to pay him cheap instead of seeing his value sky rocket next yr... that would also be abd. yet I can't praise a guy who betrayed his own word even for millions $$$.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/9/2004  9:46 AM
they could have picked up his option, and he could have blown out his knee day 1 of the season, career finished he'd be having to work like the rest of us for the rest of his life.

Instead, they tried to reward him early.

And what is the difference between $40 million and $70 million?

$40 million means that he, his wife and their kids (and he could have a lot of kids) will never actually have to work a day the rest of their lives.

$70 million means all the above and we can include all the Boozer descendents.

I hope for Utah and Boozer he blows his knee out.

I firmly believe in karma and if they dealt in bad faith with Cleveland, Boozer will get his.

And if your a GM right now, this agent is probably on your black list as far as agents to deal with- at least he should be.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/9/2004  10:26 AM
The Cavs were trying to lowball him long term and got caught. I don't fault Boozer. He gave his acknowledgement on an extension--ANYONE wouldve done it, BUT if the CAVS had a legitimate gripe--if they werent trying to lowball him--they could've told Boozer they would give him a fair extension before the season starts. They knew about the high$$$$ cap room out there and probably went with this plan trying to save$. Doesn't it make just a tad of sense to wait 12 weeks to make sure you protect any possibility of what happened and sign him in good faith to a contract that was fair?

I don't put any blame on Boozer. The Cavs did this.
RIP Crushalot😞
raven
Member: #316
Canada
7/9/2004  10:36 AM
the cavs gave him a gun and he shot them.

Cavs are responsible for being stupid and Booze is responsible for doing what he did.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
7/9/2004  11:06 AM
this is all so stupid...players are always out for #1, themselves...to be shocked or appalled that a player would actually take $20 mil more & reneg on his word to his current team is ridiculous...what the hell would any of us do in the same situation? please...it's not even worth talking about...the Cavs dropped the ball & they know it...end of story.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/9/2004  11:08 AM
Last time I checked this was still America. Boozer was looking out for number 1. Anybody in the real world would do the same. Let me ask you this.... If you were given a chance straight out of college by company that pays you fair market value, then out of the blue a bigger company offers you a six figure salary that doubles your current rate, you would not take that latter?

Also, I don't get the "What's the diff between $70 million and $40million" question. The difference is $30 MILLION! I don't know about you guys but that is a pretty big difference.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/9/2004  11:10 AM
Also, Paxson should take some Risk Management classes. This happens everyday in the business world.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/9/2004  1:48 PM
my point is with the $40 vs $70 million is both are outlandish sums of money and both guarantee a level of life style that none of us will likely ever experience. What is he going to do with $70 million that he can't do with $40 million? Buy his own jet liner or ocean liner?

If the Cavs were trying to low ball Boozer, they got what they deserved- it was a silly gamble on their part.

simrud
Member: #474
USA
7/9/2004  2:40 PM
after the goverment takes away like the third of that money with taxes, it will make a very big difference lol.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
Nalod
USA
7/9/2004  3:04 PM
ANd who says going to college does not make sense!

Booze is a Duke Graduate!

BOoze got Euroandteenphucked dropping to second round, and look at him now! Good for him, and let it be a warning not to pass over solid bigs from good programs. Booze did his work and shame on the Caves from lowballing him.

Remember Coach k pondered a $40mil contract, This one is $30mm MORE!

So he has to get booed twice a year in Cleveland. Assuming no playoff series between the jazz and Cavs, over six years thats 12 games, or $2.5mil per game MORE than had he stayed.

His agent gets "agent of the year" award and his firm will spin it back to not make him look so bad if the Cavs try to wiggle it back on booze.
bernard
Member: #475
7/9/2004  3:45 PM
If Booze made a promise and reneged, he has to be called out. The facts that there was a LOT of money at stake or that people do similar things all the time don't excuse him. It's wrong, plain and simple. If I were in his shoes, would I do the same thing? I hope not. I'd like to think I wouldn't sell out my word, even for more $$ than I've ever contemplated having. And if I did, I'd expect to be called out.

Cav's mistake is worse in a way. Not unethical, of course, just stupid and naive. Looks like they misjudged him and took an unnecessary risk to save a few bucks. Now, a team that looked capable of winning it all sometime over the next 5 years, has an uncertain future. They're still a playoff team, IMO, unless Ilgauskis gets hurt again.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/9/2004  4:03 PM
Posted by franco12:

they could have picked up his option, and he could have blown out his knee day 1 of the season, career finished he'd be having to work like the rest of us for the rest of his life.

Instead, they tried to reward him early.

And what is the difference between $40 million and $70 million?
It goes against human nature to view it that way. NO athlete ever does and I'd be shocked if any of us would either.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
7/9/2004  5:06 PM
I'm trying to buy a house and you know what people make promises and before you know it someone else ups the offer and its so long to you. This is the reality of the world why should Boozer be any different. You got to get yours baby and if someone leaves the door open for anyone to make more money I guarantee you 9-10 will take the more money. I love what Boozer did the Cavs are fools to do what they did. Words don't mean Jack until the contract is signed.
Nalod
USA
7/9/2004  5:16 PM
Agents handle this stuff, not the players. Thats what they get paid for.

Its like you dating this chick, and shes been real good to you over the years and took you on when you were not so hot.

Now you all buff and supermodel kournicova booty is wooing you to hand out with her at the beach house, keys to the ferrari, all the blow you can inhale, and a plasma in the bedroom.

It ain't right, but you pick up the phone and hook up.

Booty call.
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #575
Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
7/9/2004  5:34 PM
Paxson got really screwed and does not dserve to be fired. Anyone would have done the same as him. If Boozer comes to you and says that if you don't pick up his option that he will sign for the MLE, who doesn't do it? Boozer and his agent had this plan for a long time. Boozer deserves to be booed at every city. Fo one year insurance, Boozer was willing to get his GM fired, ruin the Cavs future, and destroy the Cavs fans. How can you ruin the life of the GM who gave you the chance to succed? How can you hurt your fans so bad; the fans who supported you for years and pay your contract? Boozer is a disgrace.
Boozer reveals he's all about the money Sean Deveney /

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy