Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
7/9/2004  2:54 AM
Thursday Insider
temptation?

By Chad Ford
ESPN Insider

Tuesday, we wrote that free-agent spending was out of control, and that was before Rafer Alston and Hedo Turkoglu agreed to big, multi-year offers with the Raptors and Magic.

What's really amazing is that all of these big deals have been offered and there's still a number of teams with major cap room to spend.

The Hawks still have all $20 million to blow. The Bobcats haven't spent a penny of their $17 million. The Nuggets and Jazz both still have between $15 and $16 million. The Spurs and Clippers have around $14 million each.

If Kobe Bryant re-signs with the Lakers and Kenyon Martin re-ups with the Nets, both very likely at this point, where is all that money going to go?

Emanuel Ginobili will get a big chunk of either the Nuggets' or Spurs' dough. The Clippers likely will use their money on Kobe or to match the Suns' six-year, $50 million offer to Quentin Richardson.

After that, there's only one guy left who's worth major cash -- Carlos Boozer. If I'm Cavs GM Jim Paxson, I'm sweating bullets right now.

Carlos Boozer could receive an offer that's too good to refuse.
Paxson made a very unusual move last week when he didn't pick up the team's option for Boozer's third year. Boozer was set to make the minimum and, according to sources, had his agent, Rob Pelinka, approach the Cavs with a proposal: Don't pick up the option, and in return Boozer would re-sign with the Cavs for the mid-level exception.

The Cavs complied, and Boozer became a restricted free agent, but because the team holds only Boozer's early Bird rights (which teams get after having a player under contract for two years) and is in a tight cap situation, the mid-level is the most they can offer him. Had the Cavs picked up Boozer's option, they would've owned his full Bird rights next summer, when he also would have been a restricted free agent, and would've been able to match any offer he received.

By almost every account, the sides have a deal in place that will pay Boozer around $5 million next season, a nice bump from the $695,000 he earned last season.

However, when Pelinka and Boozer cut the verbal, non-binding agreement with the Cavs, they couldn't have accounted for how the market would play out. As it turns out, several teams, including the Jazz, Nuggets and Bobcats, are very interested in Boozer and are capable of paying him much, much more than the mid-level.

The Jazz, in particular, are dangerous. They need a tough, rebounding power forward to put on the floor with Mehmet Okur, and Boozer would be the perfect fit. Given Boozer's production last season, a contract starting at between $7 million and $8 million a year isn't out of the question given the market. In fact, he could be worth more considering his position and production (15.5 ppg, 11.4 rpg) last season.

Would Boozer, if confronted with an offer sheet for considerably more than the mid-level, waver on his commitment to the Cavs? That's the million-dollar question. Pelinka didn't return several phone calls Wednesday. He has remained quiet through the process with his two biggest free agents, Boozer and Bryant.

So we called another prominent agent, laid out the facts, and asked him what he would do if Boozer was his client and wanted to renege on the handshake deal with the Cavs. For all of you who think agents are more crooked than Owen Wilson's nose, you better sit down for this.

"I'd resign immediately if a client wanted to renege on a deal, even a verbal one," the agent told Insider. "I still believe integrity in this business matters. If you agree on a deal, you have to live with, no matter what else happens. I personally believe that Boozer and his agent miscalculated a bit here. But I also understand what they did. Players want security. The Cavs can offer that. It just means he has to take less money to get it now. It's a tradeoff."

There is evidence to suggest Boozer would even entertain offers from other teams. Sources claim both the Jazz and Nuggets have contracted Boozer and were told he'd entertain leaving the Cavs. Both teams are mulling whether to make Boozer a big offer. Boozer, has said publicly several times that he wants to return to Cleveland, but as the money gets bigger, so does the temptation to change course.

What happens to the Cavs if he bolts? One of two things. Either Paxson loses his job or the Cavs are quick on their feet and try to make a deal that gets them far enough under the cap to match the offer for Boozer. Assuming the cap is set at $45 million cap, Cleveland already is about $2 million under. They could attempt to trade a player or two, like a combination of Tony Battie and Dajuan Wagner or Zydrunas Ilgauskas to a team with enough cap room to absorb their contracts. That's not easy, but it's not impossible either.

Around the League

Have the Nuggets missed the boat? Denver came into free agency with the goal of adding at least one major piece to its rebuilding puzzle. But to date they've only re-signed Marcus Camby. They've flirted with Kobe, K-Mart, Ginobili and Richardson but still haven't made an offer to anyone.
By all accounts, their chances of landing Kobe are slim. Richardson just agreed to an offer sheet with the Suns. That leaves Martin and Ginobili. Martin was in Denver on Wednesday, but it doesn't sound like the visit was a smashing success.

"My No. 1 choice is to remain in New Jersey," Martin told reporters. "I've said that from Day 1. ... But we'll see. If it's not meant to be, it won't be there."

Nuggets GM Kiki Vandeweghe told Insider on Wednesday evening it's likely Martin will return to the Nets.

"I think his preference is to return home, and frankly, that's what I told him I thought he should do," Vandeweghe said. "I know that sounds kind of funny, but my general philosophy is that if a player is happy where he's at, he should stay there. He should figure out how to work out a deal there. I just think it's better for the league that way."

While Vandeweghe didn't rule out making an offer to Martin, that doesn't sound like the most compelling sales pitch in the world. If K-Mart is out of the picture, that means Ginobili is the guy, right? If the team waits too much longer, it might end up with nothing.

Manu Ginobili
Shooting Guard
San Antonio Spurs

2003-2004 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
77 12.8 4.5 3.8 .418 .802

"We'll see," Vandeweghe said. "We have a lot of interest in him. He's a restricted free agent, which makes things difficult for us. I know we need to get something done, and I'd like to think we'll be making someone an offer soon, but right now we haven't made an offer to anyone. The market's surprised us a little bit. Everyone is signing a little quicker and for a little more money than we had originally anticipated."

Meanwhile, Ginobili's agent, Herb Rudoy, is pacing the floor. Rudoy told Insider on Wednesday that his client and the Spurs were still "miles apart" in negotiations. With almost all of Ginobili's other options realistically gone, that puts pressure on everyone to get something done with Denver.

"I'm waiting around like an expectant mother," Rudoy said. "We haven't gotten an offer yet from anyone. I still believe we'll be hearing something from Denver very soon."

Maybe. But the Nuggets know they're walking in a mine field with Ginobili. A league source told Insider on Wednesday evening the Spurs very likely will match any offer to Ginobili unless Kobe Bryant commits to San Antonio.

The Nuggets were believed to be preparing an offer that started as high as $8 million to $9 million per season in an effort to scare off the Spurs. However, the source claims San Antonio would likely match the offer, even if it goes that high. Hedo Turkoglu got a big offer from the Magic, and the Spurs can't afford to lose them both.

If that happens, the Nuggets could be left holding lots of cap room but no significant free-agent additions this summer.

"I'm fine with that if it happens," Vandeweghe said. "We're not going to panic or overspend. We're going to retain our flexibility. We have a number of first-round picks and lots of cap room. There are a lot of ways to add players."

Will the Clips match the Suns' offer for Q? The Suns reversed course quickly Wednesday after learning that Turkoglu, whom they had brought in Tuesday and expected to sign, had gotten a more lucrative offer from the Magic.
The Suns, according to league sources, gave Quentin Richardson a six-year offer sheet worth between $48 and $50 million depending on where the cap comes in. While the Richardson deal doesn't raise eyebrows financially, it's another unusual move for the Suns.

Quentin Richardson
Shooting Guard
Los Angeles Clippers

2003-2004 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
65 17.2 6.4 2.1 .398 .740

First, the offer is reasonable enough that there's a good chance the Clippers will match it if they don't land Kobe. Because the Suns gave Q all their remaining cap space, the team's money could be locked up until July 29, the deadline for the Clippers to match the offer. Given the Clippers' history, they likely will wait the full 15 days to decide, unless Bryant comes on board.

Second, the team already has Joe Johnson, Leandro Barbosa and Casey Jacobsen who can play the two. Given their hole at center, was Q really necessary? The Suns declined comment on the reported offer. However, another league source believes the Suns' offer for Q was a good one.

"Q gives the Suns a couple of things," the source told Insider. "He's tough and one of the hardest-working guys in the league. They're looking for character guys who can lead by example on the floor. Nash and Q both fit the description. The team wasn't going to get a great center with their remaining cap room. Why use it to overpay someone? Remember Luc Longley? The Suns don't want to get in a situation like that again. I think it's conceivable that with Q on board, the team could dangle either Joe or Shawn (Marion) in an attempt to get a big man on the trade market. Signing Q gives them options, and it also gives them leverage should someone like Johnson blow up this year and demand a fortune in free agency next summer."

Nash's contract details: Speaking of the Suns, if you do the math, the team shouldn't be able to fit both Nash's five-year, $65 million deal and Q's six-year, $50 million deal into its existing cap room.
That's because we've been misreporting the Nash deal to a certain extent. According to a source who's seen the offer sheet, Nash's deal is guaranteed for six years at $60 million, not five years at $65. Year six is only partially guaranteed. Nash could get up to $66 million for six years if he reaches all of his incentives. But for cap purposes, it's six for $60 million, meaning his deal averages $10 million per. Suddenly, that doesn't sound quite as outrageous as Mark Cuban makes it sound.

Blount to re-sign with Boston: Center Mark Blount agreed to re-sign with the Celtics early Thursday morning according to his agent, Mark Bartelstein.
The contract, according to Bartelstein, will be for six years, $41 million dollars.

Blount was wooed by several teams, but in the end felt like he needed to return to Boston.

"I think Danny [Ainge| and Doc [Rivers] did a great job of convincing him that he would be part of great future in Boston," Bartelstein told Insider. "They stepped up to the plate offering their full mid-level exception and I think at the end of the day, Mark felt like they really wanted him the most."

Turkoglu cashes in: While the Spurs may have to seriously consider matching any offer for Ginobili, don't expect them to match the Magic's huge offer for Turkoglu. The Magic offered Turkoglu a whopping six-year deal for their full mid-level exception. That beat the Suns' six-year, $30 million offer by as much as $9 million depending on where the mid-level exception comes in.
GMs were stunned by the numbers. Only Adonal Foyle's deal with the Warriors has turned more heads. Ironically, both contracts were negotiated by Lon Babby, making him our leading candidate for agent of the summer.

Same old Hawks The ownership of the Hawks may have changed, but apparently the team is still stuck in limbo. The Hawks have more cap space than any other team in the league, but, with the exception of Kenyon Martin, who visits there on Friday, they've been shunning just about every other free agent.
"They claim they're on a budget and can't commit to large or long term contracts," one agent told Insider. Several other agents have reported the same thing. With no centers, no power forwards and no true point guard to speak of -- are the Hawks just gunning for the No. 1 pick in the draft next year?

The Running of the Bulls Jamal Crawford's agent, Aaron Goodwin, can smell the cash . . . but can he get if for his client? Goodwin told the Knicks they'd have to come up with a starting salary of $7 million per to land Crawford. To give Crawford that type of money, the Knicks would have to do a sign-and-trade which is pretty difficult considering that Crawford would be a base-year player under that scenario.
The T-Wolves and Heat have also shown interest in Crawford. However, things are moving slowly. Meanwhile the Bulls have had to hold up signing the free agent they want, Brian Cardinal, until things are resolved for Crawford.

I'm not sure why the Bulls don't just let him go. It sounds like they don't want him, at least not at those numbers, and Cardinal is a much better fit with what the Bulls are trying to to. He brings the toughness, energy and intangibles to the table that John Paxson is looking for. I know Crawford was a lottery pick and is tough to give up for nothing. But with the addition of Ben Gordon, the loss won't be significant and Crawford would be a better fit elsewhere anyway.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/9/2004  3:52 PM
I'm not sure why the Bulls don't just let him go.
Because they'd rather have the Knicks take back an undesirable contract! (duh!)
Thursday Insider temptation? By Chad Ford

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy