[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

How do you become a GM?
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
12/10/2001  7:59 PM
I was just sitting around and wondering how you become a general manager, anyone know? A lot of the current GMs never played in the NBA so how do you go about becoming one? Anyone have any tips, becuase I might want to become a GM, I'm only 16 and my guidance counselor told me to think about things I want to do that way I have some sort of game plan going into college and I just wrote that down along with sport agent and accountant. Anyone any tips?
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
VG
Member: #68
Australia
12/10/2001  8:04 PM
I think it's easier to become a GM once you've played in the NBA. Have ties with current GMs and try to work your way up.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/10/2001  9:32 PM
I'm sure that most General Managers are lawyers as well so i know you have to go to law school. And of course, you need to have some pretty decent connections.

[Edited by - Knixkik on 12/10/2001 21:32:37]
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/10/2001  9:39 PM
or you can go the "VG" route: ball boy for local high school, assistant coach at high school, coach at high school, scout at college, assistant at college, coach at college, gym rat/work for free at a professional gym any way you can, 3rd chair assistant to the head ball boy, water boy, free throw boy, 9th string assistant for Dallas, assistant coach, get your coach fired, coach, get your GM fired, top scout, assistant GM, GM.

chop, chop: leave home now and don't forget to big a sleeping bag and change for a diet coke.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
gfella2121
Member: #45
12/11/2001  2:16 PM
If you want to become a GM, its pretty easy. You need to develop the following skills.

1. Be able to multiply. Take your current players salary, wait until they become free agents and then offer them 3X their value.
2. Be skeptical. At draft time, you need to know how to scout out the best players, and when it comes your turn be able to run the other way. You also substitute this skill by trading all you draft opportunities.
3. Be aware. You must be able to develop your young stars. But make sure you know how to trade them away right before they start getting good.

You may be in luck. Get you resume together kid, because I think there is an opening in New York real soon.
How do you become a GM?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy