Official Free Agency Hot Stove thread - moves and rumors from others teams
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
6/19/2015  5:43 PM
crzymdups wrote:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/238240/Lou-Williams-Expected-Free-Agent-Interest-Gives-Raptors-Competition

Lou Williams is expected to receive strong interest from teams that include the Sacramento Kings, Los Angeles Lakers, New York Knicks and Brooklyn Nets, providing a clear competition for the Toronto Raptors to retain the NBA’s reigning Sixth Man of the Year, league sources told RealGM.

The Raptors and Williams have expressed a mutual interest, and there will be a window early in free agency for Toronto to finalize an agreement that’s viable for the 6-foot-2 guard.

As one of the most potent scorers on the market, Williams could scan league-wide possibilities of a three-year deal in the range of $27 million or four years for $35 million.

For the season, Williams scored a career-best 15.5 points per game while averaging 25.2 minutes — a magnificent resurgence as a player after tearing his ACL in 2013.

Williams, 28, has played 10 NBA seasons with the Philadelphia 76ers, Atlanta Hawks and Raptors. He has career averages of 11.9 points, 2.9 assists and two rebounds.

Williams wants to stay in Toronto. Also, I am not sure how the Nets can pay him anything with their cap situation.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
USA
6/19/2015  10:14 PM
Jared Zwerling: Chatted w/ Amar’e Stoudemire today. For free agency, high on Dallas return. Even Phoenix. And won’t be opposed to NY return. Loves Triangle.
http://hoopshype.com/rumors/
CrushAlot
USA
6/19/2015  11:30 PM
Saw that the Pacers might not bring Cope back. He would be a good league mini guy if he would take that deal in NY.
fwk00
Member: #6048

6/20/2015  3:07 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
Agreed. The 30th pick is the last pick of the first round and has a guaranteed salary attached.At thirty you are rolling the dice in a big way. The Knicks are far better off buying a second-rounder - same risk, no obligations, same quality players.

GS will not find buyers for that contract at all.

OTOH, The Jr Smith trade exception for Speights and #30 and 2017 GS first-rounder is worth considering.

Miami is the team to watch. They desperately need cap space to resign Wade and then sign Dragic.

A number of opportunities exist for the Knicks here. They can sign Dragic to a Max contract that Miami would have to match putting their payroll into the Stratosphere.

OTOH (if its obvious Dragic is not interested), the Knicks could take a chance on moving a trade exception for McRoberts and #10 giving Miami some breathing room. Picking at 4 and 10 offers a wide variety of possibilities, none obviously bad.

Sorry, you're wrong.

I'm supposed to be politically correct and say I disagree and everyone has a different opinion on things, but sorry, you are so far off into the path of wrong, that there is nothing else to point out except you are wrong.

It's true that a very late first rounder forces the drafting team to pay at least two years of guaranteed money based on slotting compared to second rounder, whom is guaranteed nothing if the drafting team wants -snip- However teams do not typically sell off high 2nd rounders, where there are actually practical targets to gun for in terms of valuable prospects who have fallen, most of the selling off happens in the latter stages of Round 2, when there is nothing left but the dregs and potential Euro Stashes and future D League stashes and rights grabs for potential trades. We are still talking a multi tier drop off in talent so the idea of "same quality" is pretty much shot. Dropping one late tier talent, you'd have an argument, maybe two tiers would be pushing it, but still feasible, but you are talking 4-7 tiers when someone will practically sell a 2nd round pick to the Knicks. The "risk" factor also works both ways. First rounders get guaranteed money, sure, but also there is more room for future team control. KJ Daniels is a good example of how a 2nd rounder can use his own leverage to at least test to open market, because he is not encumbered by the vested rights of a team drafting him in the first round.

Given the provisions of the last CBA, teams have more cap flexibility than ever.

For the Knicks to get a trade with Golden State to help the Warriors relieve their future tax burden, the Knicks must provide a trade offer in a pragmatic sense that is THE BEST VARIABLE OPTION OUT OF ALL POSSIBLE DEFENSIBLE TRADE OPTIONS CONSIDERING ALL TEAMS IN THE NBA.

If the Knicks were in the Warriors position, entirely reverse roster and cap situation and personnel, would you accept a trade offer of a single trade exception for two first rounders and Speights? Also the Warriors already traded their 2017 first to Utah in the multi team Iggy deal.

If you were Goran Dragic, would you sign for what would be less money and less years in what will likely be your last major NBA contract, to risk playing for the least talented team in the league, with an established horrible owner, with a GM where your contact might outlive your GM ( not outlive his contract, but literally outlive him period), where you stand a good chance of having Zeke as your next GM in place, playing along side a selfish no defense shotjacker who can't move well off the ball?

Would you accept a trade offer asking for your 10th pick and McRoberts with the belief that you need cap space and THAT IS THE BEST OVERALL OPTION OUT OF ALL OPTIONS POSSIBLE FOR TRADE IN THE ENTIRE NBA?

The basis of all trade rape is

A) Making offers you wouldn't take yourself if the situations were reversed
B) Require the other front office to have no sense of basic self preservation and competence ( That's like finding an ugly girl and screaming at her that she also has zero personality and how is that entirely possible )
C) Take no context that there is an entire league of other trade possibilities and your trade offer must be the practical and defensible one that offers the most upside to the non Knicks team out of the list
D) Ignoring that no practical trade in modern pro sports happens if it will draw massive backlash from the ownership, sports media and the entire fanbase to a groundswell that creates a tipping point for the non Knicks franchise

In the modern era, trade exceptions often go unused and expire for very specific reasons. If what you suggested was feasible, teams would be using them all the time, but they don't.

I was on a farm once as a kid, visiting a friend, along with adults who were visiting their adult friends. Never seen a farm before that. I saw a horse mount another horse. Mating and such. The mounter had an easier time, at least from this time, because it didn't look like the mountee was all that resistant.

If you want the Knicks to garner real assets for the future, they aren't just going to walk up and mount up on the back of another team and work them like a two dollar whore near closing time. Sorry, the practical market forces in the NBA just don't work that way.

I don't understand the animus of your reply at all. Nor are you particularly compelling in your arguments that I am "wrong".

My whole point is that taking on David Lee's $15M cap space killing contract for the rights to #30 (another $2M or so hit) makes no sense whatsoever.

You will also find that the so-called drop-off in talent starts at #10 where picks are faaaaar less likely to stick around for more than a year or two. In fact, a chronic lament on this and every Knick board is that we drafted so-and-so and missed out on a guy putting up big numbers in Oshkosh - if only, if only.

Nor did I ever suggest pursuing a late second-rounder that's just pointless. What I did suggest is that IFF (if and only if) the Knicks wanted a late first-rounder, rather than #30 they would be far better off making a trade for 31-40. Minny and Philadelphia both have two picks in that range.

As for, "Given the provisions of the last CBA, teams have more cap flexibility than ever." - truthy sounding. But teams swimming in fiscal commitments won't be trading for David Lee and getting a pick too. They'll be attempting to unload their own David Lees and GS is looking for cap relief not a swap of fiscal albatrosses. Your truth seems to be that David Lee is a prize that -gasp- the whole NBA is competing for! Let me re-explain the scenario, David Lee is a bench player at best making $15M a year. FOR PICK #30! The return will have to be much higher than that.

Actually, trade exceptions ARE used all the time otherwise every team wouldn't have four or five sitting around. Most teams choose to use them as cap relief and not for players but so what? THEY CAN BE USED. Nothing "wrong" with that.

And yes, if I were a GM who responsibly managed a team's money I *would* trade for cap relief because that's where true flexibility is. As long as I get what I need the other guy doesn't have to be short-changed. Value for value isn't the same as talent for talent.

As for the horrible owner nonsense and the Isiah red herring and Phil leaving myth and JR Smith is evil rhetoric - put on your big boy pants - life ain't fair. These kinds of fictions require psychiatric counseling. Dolan is trying to win, Isiah was innocent and deserves a second chance, Phil wants to be here, and JR is a basketball player not a priest. BFD.

You were on the farm too long, IMO.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/20/2015  12:27 PM
Sources: In pursuit of cap space, Lakers unlikely to exercise option for Jordan Hill

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--lakers-jordan-hill-163456728.html

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
WaltLongmire

6/20/2015  12:33 PM
fwk00 wrote:

You will also find that the so-called drop-off in talent starts at #10 where picks are faaaaar less likely to stick around for more than a year or two. In fact, a chronic lament on this and every Knick board is that we drafted so-and-so and missed out on a guy putting up big numbers in Oshkosh - if only, if only.

So just who is this mysterious Wisconsin kid coming out of Oshkosh and why hasn't Briggs sniffed him out yet

Why you holding out on us?

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/20/2015  1:05 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Jared Zwerling: Chatted w/ Amar’e Stoudemire today. For free agency, high on Dallas return. Even Phoenix. And won’t be opposed to NY return. Loves Triangle.

NY to Amare: LOL

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
WaltLongmire

6/20/2015  3:00 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

Actually, I think he responded to a question about food, and said that he "loves Triangles."

WaltLongmire

6/20/2015  3:04 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Saw that the Pacers might not bring Cope back. He would be a good league mini guy if he would take that deal in NY.

Would Jackson even think about him? Not sure Cope is a system before self kind of player.

His best destination is China, where he will surely develop a cult following.

fwk00

6/20/2015  4:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/20/2015  4:14 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
fwk00 wrote:

So just who is this mysterious Wisconsin kid coming out of Oshkosh and why hasn't Briggs sniffed him out yet

Briggs.

Briggs, the new thread factory? The finder of all players finer than ours. I think the minute I mentioned OshKosh he was racing Chad Ford to the very court I mentioned where all players have potential and upside so high you can't even see it with ESPN-ovision. Yes, Virginia there is such a place and it happens shortly after the draft when the pigmies they call the Itoldyasoes come out of their gaming caves to wag their fingers at the basketball bureaucrats in the skyscrapers.

It won't be long before the three Stooges - shoulda-coulda-woulda - are out in full harmony with bullhorns and reciting history. soon we go to the Valley of the draft that we have been warned about. The numerology of the player from OshKosh will reveal himself as the player picked at #5. Prepare a crown for him - the one that got away from Phil who is too old, practices the witchcraft of the past, and finds value in emptying a vessel before filling it.

Briggs will indeed rule in post-draft Mudsville.

WaltLongmire

6/20/2015  8:35 PM
fwk00 wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
fwk00 wrote:

Briggs.

Briggs, the new thread factory? The finder of all players finer than ours. I think the minute I mentioned OshKosh he was racing Chad Ford to the very court I mentioned where all players have potential and upside so high you can't even see it with ESPN-ovision. Yes, Virginia there is such a place and it happens shortly after the draft when the pigmies they call the Itoldyasoes come out of their gaming caves to wag their fingers at the basketball bureaucrats in the skyscrapers.

It won't be long before the three Stooges - shoulda-coulda-woulda - are out in full harmony with bullhorns and reciting history. soon we go to the Valley of the draft that we have been warned about. The numerology of the player from OshKosh will reveal himself as the player picked at #5. Prepare a crown for him - the one that got away from Phil who is too old, practices the witchcraft of the past, and finds value in emptying a vessel before filling it.

Still holding out on who the Oshkosh is, I see.

I actually depend on Briggs to look for under-publicized players, and some who I was not aware of were pretty good this year, to be honest.

He's also a stocks guy who looks for low/underpriced companies with high upside, and I think looking for diamonds in the rough is in his genes.

A favorite of mine that he brought to my attentionwas Fuzaro, who pulled out of the draft.

Once you get a name it is pretty easy these days to find some vids on YouTube, so I'm always happy to look up a new name.

fwk00

6/20/2015  11:20 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
fwk00 wrote:

Briggs.

Still holding out on who the Oshkosh is, I see.

I actually depend on Briggs to look for under-publicized players, and some who I was not aware of were pretty good this year, to be honest.

He's also a stocks guy who looks for low/underpriced companies with high upside, and I think looking for diamonds in the rough is in his genes.

A favorite of mine that he brought to my attentionwas Fuzaro, who pulled out of the draft.

Once you get a name it is pretty easy these days to find some vids on YouTube, so I'm always happy to look up a new name.

Walt I thoroughly enjoy Briggs' posts. Didn't make it seem like I was exclusively busting on him - you brought him up. I'm a Knicks fan who started in the sixties and remain a fan. These days there's too chronic a cynicism about everything Knicks. It wears on me. So I get a little punchy with it all.

Secondly i don't understand the near ubiquitous angry responses to what could and should be interesting discussions. It's on of the reasons I left the Elba forum.

When I speak of OshKosh, there are hundreds of echo chamber threads that have long lamented missing out on Rondo, Parker, Artest, and a legion of other players drafted after our picks. This draft is the next draft that will create more such second-guessing.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/21/2015  12:39 AM
fwk00 wrote:
Walt I thoroughly enjoy Briggs' posts. Didn't make it seem like I was exclusively busting on him - you brought him up. I'm a Knicks fan who started in the sixties and remain a fan. These days there's too chronic a cynicism about everything Knicks. It wears on me. So I get a little punchy with it all.

Secondly i don't understand the near ubiquitous angry responses to what could and should be interesting discussions. It's on of the reasons I left the Elba forum.

When I speak of OshKosh, there are hundreds of echo chamber threads that have long lamented missing out on Rondo, Parker, Artest, and a legion of other players drafted after our picks. This draft is the next draft that will create more such second-guessing.

The higher we pick, the more picks to lament after our own.

¿ △ ?
fwk00

6/21/2015  12:48 AM
crzymdups wrote:
fwk00 wrote:

Exactly, though I think this will be a watershed draft for us.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/21/2015  12:59 AM
fwk00 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
fwk00 wrote:

Exactly, though I think this will be a watershed draft for us.

I very much hope you are correct.

¿ △ ?
CrushAlot
USA
6/21/2015  10:48 AM
The Boston Celtics are actively attempting to trade up in next week's draft in order to select Myles Turner, according to multiple league sources.

The Celtics own the 16th overall pick in the draft and Turner is expected to be picked several slots earlier.

One of the Celtics' most pressing needs this offseason is a rim protector. Turner blocked 4.2 shots per 36 minutes in his freshman season at Texas.

The Celtics have one of the deepest collections of future draft assets in the entire NBA, with as many as four potential first rounders in 2016, which gives them considerable flexibility in attempting to move up.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/238269/Celtics-Trying-To-Move-Up-To-Select-Myles-Turner
I thought they wanted Stein. There are also reports that the Celtics want to move the 28th pick so that they don't have a guaranteed salary commitment.
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

6/21/2015  8:07 PM
Dwyane Wade - G - Heat

There is reportedly mutual interest between Dwyane Wade and the Lakers.
A move to a rebuilding team in Los Angeles really makes close to zero sense for Wade at this point in his career, but LA will have money to spend during free agency, and with Wade reportedly "upset" with the Heat regarding his contract situation, there's sure to be plenty of rumors regarding his potential free agency. Wade has a player option worth $16.1 million for the upcoming season, but reports up to this point would suggest that he will opt out in order to become an unrestricted free agent this offseason. His father said during a recent interview to pray that Wade remains in Miami, so right now, there's not a lot of clarity on what jersey he's likely to be sporting next year.
Related: Lakers
Source: Chris Mannix on Twitter
Jun 21 - 5:44 PM

Myles Turner - F - Player

According to Real GM, the Celtics are actively trying to move up in the draft in order to acquire Myles Turner.
The Celtics have the No. 16 pick in the draft, and considering Turner could possibly be a top-10 pick, they will clearly have to trade up to get him. The Celtics could desperately use a rim protector, so it's understandable why they are so high on Turner. The Texas product averaged 4.2 blocks per 36 minutes during his freshman season, but he still is a little raw on offense. The Celtics have a stockpile of assets and future picks, so it will be interesting to see if they decide to move up.
Source: Real GM
Jun 21 - 11:51 AM

David Blatt - C - Cavaliers

Cavaliers head coach David Blatt said that it has been a "great honor" to work with LeBron James this season.
"It’s been a great pleasure and a great honor to work with a player of his magnitude and to work with someone who is so committed to helping this organization reach its goals," Blatt said of James. "I can tell you it’s been a fantastic experience and I hope to continue it." A report by ESPN said that James was openly disrespectful to Blatt during the NBA Finals, but the Cavaliers have continued to downplay that notion. Blatt has already said that he will "absolutely" be back with the Cavaliers next season, but if there is any truth to the report by ESPN, it's certainly going to be an interesting situation to monitor this summer.
Source: Boston Globe
Jun 21 - 10:11 AM

David Griffin - C - Cavaliers

Cavaliers general manager David Griffin said that he will keep the team's core together for next season, but that is only if Kevin Love decides to return.
"In a broad-stroke sort of way, we very much intend to keep this group together," Griffin said. "That group was 33-3 in their last 36 games, including the playoffs when the Big Three were healthy. You look at that as a group that has the potential to be special, special good. We certainly played to that for a great part of the season and we anticipate we’ll take that group forward in a very large measure." The Cavaliers do need to add some pieces to their bench, but their roster could be in flux if Love decides to leave town.
Source: Boston Globe
Jun 21 - 9:58 AM

Goran Dragic - G - Heat

According to ESPN, the Miami Heat are planning on offering Goran Dragic a five-year deal in excess of $80 million in free agency this summer.
Interesting. This isn't the max offer that we were expecting, as the Heat have the ability to offer Dragic over $100 million over the course of five years. Pat Riley has all but guaranteed that he will keep Dragic no matter what, but things could get interesting if a team such as the Knicks or Lakers offer Dragic a four-year, $85 million deal. The Heat will have to find a way to keep Dwyane Wade, Luol Deng and Dragic this summer, so Riley is going to have to get creative.
Source: ESPN
Jun 21 - 9:10 AM

Danny Ferry - F - Hawks

Danny Ferry’s comments about Luol Deng were not motivated by racial bias, according to an investigation performed by the law firm Alston and Bird.
The letter from Friday says it found statements repeated from a scouting report were not motivated by "racial, ethnic, or country of origination bias or animus" by Ferry. To find this information, the investigation included e-mails, background reports and interviews, and 24,000 documents.
Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Jun 20 - 5:53 PM

Some thoughts here

- Just want the LA Lakers would need, if they got Wade ( sort of a laughable push by Wade and his agents to try to drum up an artificial market for him to try to get the Heat to lob big dollars at him, which is another SG who can't/won't defend, can't hit a three pointer, will be an injury liability, will bring his personal beefs into the press and is a ball stopping ball dominant chucker who can no longer reliably finish around the rim. And again, since we are talking about a team with Kobe Bryant, at least Wade ( as far as anyone knows) isn't a rapist. Although Gabrielle Union, a noted homewrecker in her own right, would probably love the acting opportunities she can generate by being a LA Laker's player's jump off. Imagine if they took Okafor and he started to succeed and they chanted his name at the Staples Center, can you imagine both Wade and Mamba just freezing the kid out on the court. That 16 million opt in is as much as Wade will get, he's riding into Ray Lewis territory here ( old player who will get some kind of payday for legacy by his old team if he can find some humility) But at least, since we are talking about Ray Lewis, Wade isn't a murderer ( that we know of) When you are a player and the best thing anyone can say about you is that at least you aren't a rapist and a murderer, I don't know, maybe it's time to retire.

- Wish the Knicks would hire Ferry. Guy did a good job with the Hawks, he has experience and clear pedigree working for multiple organizations, including the Cavs. For a season like the Hawks had, most guys would be getting extensions in his position, except for the clear political/media/cultural implications of what happened, which require him to get axed. He's a top shelf front office guy who can be had right now. Knowing the Knicks, they'll fail to capitalize.

- If the Knicks can find a way to trade down at least once, they can, in theory, get into the zone where making a deal with the Celtics and another team would be possible in a three way trade. Not likely, but definitely more feasible than some other trade scenarios I've seen.

- Sort of feel sorry for Blatt and Griffin, basically begging for their jobs because LBJ is such a lousy de facto GM. How do you win 3 out of 4 lotteries and still have such a broken and capped out and busted roster? How is that possible? I'm not sure even the established armchair quarterbacking trade rapists on this board could firebomb a team as badly as the Cavs have done to themselves here. If Love leaves, God what a gigantic crushing move, because they will have lost Wiggins for nothing. And LBJ can't make a big splash to come back to the Cavs and leave again, he will be stuck with a lousy contender type team with a lot of poor fits ( they'll contend because he'll drag them there, but he will burn the candle on both ends non stop and for massive minutes) Sometimes you have to be smart enough to know you aren't smart enough to do a job ( I guess for LBJ and Phil Jackson, that would be smart enough to know you have no business running NBA personnel )

wargames
Member: #6053

6/22/2015  9:39 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/22/2015  9:39 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-knicks/post/_/id/62336/uclas-kevon-looney-could-fit-with-knicks

Pistons have contacted the knicks about trading for Tim Hardaway Jr.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/22/2015  12:50 PM
Thaddeus Young has opted out of his Nets contract. He was someone that others were interested in for the Knicks.

King seemed optimistic that Young will remain a Net, as he told the Brooklyn beat writers at this morning's final multi-player draft workout.

“I’m pretty confident, because we have some tools in our favor,” King, no doubt referring to Young’s Bird Rights, permitting the Nets to pay Young more than any other team. "It’s nothing that we weren’t expecting. So come July 1st we’ll start that process of trying to retain him to the Nets.”

Asked if he intended to offer his other big target, Brook Lopez, a max contract, King responded, "next question."

“It’s nothing that we weren’t expecting. So come July 1st we’ll start that process of trying to retain him to the Nets.” Young had a player option for just under $10 million, and is opting out to cash-in and sign a long-term deal. This, of course, doesn't mean he can't or won't re-sign with the Nets, just that if and when he does it will be for a long-term deal and not just for the 2015-16 season.

Nets GM Billy King has already indicated that the team is looking to build around Young, 26, and big man Brook Lopez, who can also opt out of his $16.7 million player option for 2015-16. Again, the Nets are expected to make a long-term offer to Lopez as well, if and when he decides to opt out.

smackeddog
Member: #883
6/22/2015  3:07 PM
wargames wrote:http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-knicks/post/_/id/62336/uclas-kevon-looney-could-fit-with-knicks

Pistons have contacted the knicks about trading for Tim Hardaway Jr.

I hope the proposed trade is a joke- we take on a washed up Jennings AND his $8mil salary to give them Tim Jr?! Bizarre!

Official Free Agency Hot Stove thread - moves and rumors from others teams

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy