[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

KJ McDaniels
Author Thread
callmened
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4234

5/23/2015  7:45 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/23/2015  7:52 AM
I'm a basketball junkie that watches all levels: NBA, NCAA, and even some HS basketball. One of the blessings of last yrs depressing knicks season was it forced me to watch other teams on NBA League pass. The only basketball I cant stomach is the D-League because they dont play defense. Needless to say, I think I can hold my own with BRIGGS, RonRon, Finestrg and other intelligent posters who have thrown out suggestions for the knicks. Here is the 2nd of two candidates.

This 6-6 22yr old wing started off GREAT for the sixers. He was originally drafted with the expectations of being an athletic wing defender. However, he surprised NBA folks with his improved 3pt range. However by January his outside numbers started to dip. Even though, this kid has GREAT potential (to be a solid role player), the sixers traded him - as they are wont to do. In Houston, he barely played behind the gluttony of wings on their roster; then he got hurt and hasnt played since. Dude is very confident and bet on himself for a nice contract. All he needs is the opportunity

Strengths
- insane athleticism - theres a 9min youtube video just on his dunks alone
- excellent wingspan and defender
- changes games with his hustle and crowd favorite
- excellent cutter ala T.Allen

Weaknesses
- not the most creative off the dribble; Bline driver
- erratic shooting; started off hot then regressed back to his mean
- over-confident - will whine if he doesnt play. His mother will complain too

Overall
- would be an excellent wing defender for the knicks
- triangle would generate offense of cuts
- would be a GArden favorite; adds swagger
- I dont think he's in the Rockets future plans

Question - I've learned a lot about the salary cap in recent yrs but there are some terms I still dont understand. One of them is the "QUalifying Offer". From what i understand, its a one yr deal following by unrestricted free agency. "A player can also accept his qualifying offer, if he so chooses. He then plays the following season on a one-year contract worth the amount of the QO, and becomes an unrestricted free agent at season's end. A player can go this route if he wants to hit unrestricted free agency as early as possible, or if he feels like the QO is the best offer he'll receive. Accepting the qualifying offer also gives a player the right to veto trades for the season.". From what we know of KJ McDaniels so far, he thinks he's worth WAY more than people expect. I'm not sure if he takes this low ($1 mill QO salary he has with the rockets in order to cash in 2016. Or if he leaves now because he wants the money NOW - coming off a shoulder injury).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHOhZe0EWcA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w8wAtjgxT0 <------ if youre just into dunking (9mins)

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
AUTOADVERT
EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
5/23/2015  7:50 AM
KJ has been on my radar also. The issue with any RFA is what you are willing to pay. Where do you see his salary?
This is the Randle.
VCoug
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1406

5/23/2015  8:45 AM
callmened wrote:I'm a basketball junkie that watches all levels: NBA, NCAA, and even some HS basketball. One of the blessings of last yrs depressing knicks season was it forced me to watch other teams on NBA League pass. The only basketball I cant stomach is the D-League because they dont play defense. Needless to say, I think I can hold my own with BRIGGS, RonRon, Finestrg and other intelligent posters who have thrown out suggestions for the knicks. Here is the 2nd of two candidates.

This 6-6 22yr old wing started off GREAT for the sixers. He was originally drafted with the expectations of being an athletic wing defender. However, he surprised NBA folks with his improved 3pt range. However by January his outside numbers started to dip. Even though, this kid has GREAT potential (to be a solid role player), the sixers traded him - as they are wont to do. In Houston, he barely played behind the gluttony of wings on their roster; then he got hurt and hasnt played since. Dude is very confident and bet on himself for a nice contract. All he needs is the opportunity

Strengths
- insane athleticism - theres a 9min youtube video just on his dunks alone
- excellent wingspan and defender
- changes games with his hustle and crowd favorite
- excellent cutter ala T.Allen

Weaknesses
- not the most creative off the dribble; Bline driver
- erratic shooting; started off hot then regressed back to his mean
- over-confident - will whine if he doesnt play. His mother will complain too

Overall
- would be an excellent wing defender for the knicks
- triangle would generate offense of cuts
- would be a GArden favorite; adds swagger
- I dont think he's in the Rockets future plans

Question - I've learned a lot about the salary cap in recent yrs but there are some terms I still dont understand. One of them is the "QUalifying Offer". From what i understand, its a one yr deal following by unrestricted free agency. "A player can also accept his qualifying offer, if he so chooses. He then plays the following season on a one-year contract worth the amount of the QO, and becomes an unrestricted free agent at season's end. A player can go this route if he wants to hit unrestricted free agency as early as possible, or if he feels like the QO is the best offer he'll receive. Accepting the qualifying offer also gives a player the right to veto trades for the season.". From what we know of KJ McDaniels so far, he thinks he's worth WAY more than people expect. I'm not sure if he takes this low ($1 mill QO salary he has with the rockets in order to cash in 2016. Or if he leaves now because he wants the money NOW - coming off a shoulder injury).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHOhZe0EWcA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w8wAtjgxT0 <------ if youre just into dunking (9mins)

A qualifying offer is a one year deal that a team can offer a free agent coming off his rookie deal. The player has the option to accept or decline it. If he accepts it he stays with the team for another year. If he declines it he becomes a restricted free agent and his team has the right to match any contract offer he receives from another team.

I'd love to get McDaniel but I think we'd have to significantly overpay him, like offering at least $8M, to convince Houston not to match.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
callmened

5/23/2015  8:56 AM
VCoug wrote:
A qualifying offer is a one year deal that a team can offer a free agent coming off his rookie deal. The player has the option to accept or decline it. If he accepts it he stays with the team for another year. If he declines it he becomes a restricted free agent and his team has the right to match any contract offer he receives from another team.

I'd love to get McDaniel but I think we'd have to significantly overpay him, like offering at least $8M, to convince Houston not to match.

thanks VCoug!

hmmmmm? would you overpay for McDaniels? this kid has so much potential. While I would like to have D.Carroll and other wings, I dont think he'll ever come to the knicks (its just my gut feeling that he wont want to join a rebuilding team). Instead young cats like KJ would take that gamble. I'd pay 5mill because I believe in him; but 8mill - naw thats too much

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
VCoug

5/23/2015  10:32 AM
callmened wrote:
VCoug wrote:

thanks VCoug!

hmmmmm? would you overpay for McDaniels? this kid has so much potential. While I would like to have D.Carroll and other wings, I dont think he'll ever come to the knicks (its just my gut feeling that he wont want to join a rebuilding team). Instead young cats like KJ would take that gamble. I'd pay 5mill because I believe in him; but 8mill - naw thats too much

I was just looking at his numbers, I had no idea Houston basically hasn't played him. We could definitely get him for less than $8M; $5M or $6M would probably get it done. Also, he's a poison pill candidate as well so we could do some trickery there.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
smackeddog
Member: #883
5/23/2015  10:40 AM
You can either get Beverley or KJ Danniels- Rockets can't afford to keep both if people make them generous offers. I think the Rockets may go all in targeting Milsap in free agency, so you never know, maybe the won't have the money to match.
VCoug

5/23/2015  10:54 AM
smackeddog wrote:You can either get Beverley or KJ Danniels- Rockets can't afford to keep both if people make them generous offers. I think the Rockets may go all in targeting Milsap in free agency, so you never know, maybe the won't have the money to match.

There's no way we could get Beverley. Houston has full Bird rights on him and he'll be a RFA. We'd have to overpay like crazy, at least $10M/year and I think Houston would still match that.

smackeddog
Member: #883
5/23/2015  12:15 PM
VCoug wrote:
smackeddog wrote:You can either get Beverley or KJ Danniels- Rockets can't afford to keep both if people make them generous offers. I think the Rockets may go all in targeting Milsap in free agency, so you never know, maybe the won't have the money to match.

There's no way we could get Beverley. Houston has full Bird rights on him and he'll be a RFA. We'd have to overpay like crazy, at least $10M/year and I think Houston would still match that.

I thought that at first, but if you look at their cap space, they don't have enough to land a biggish free agent- if they want to pursue one, maybe you can make him a quick offer, and the Rockets won't be able to match in time.

But I'm probably fooling myself- I'm still hoping they will trade him for Calderon- ha!

FistOfOakley
Member: #3075

5/23/2015  12:35 PM
i don't see mcdaniels getting close to a 10mm a year offer... he is interesting but if we draft winslow he's a bit redundant....
H1AND1
Member: #5648

5/23/2015  12:35 PM
I like his potential he is very young but a guard who can block the sh@t out of people is promising. Seriously tho, I've been hoping he lands on the knicks for a while.
VCoug

5/23/2015  1:27 PM
FistOfOakley wrote:i don't see mcdaniels getting close to a 10mm a year offer... he is interesting but if we draft winslow he's a bit redundant....

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking of McDaniels when we was playing a lot and well on Philly. Didn't realize he's basically been buried in Houston.

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

5/23/2015  1:55 PM
I like K.J. but you can't pay him and Thanasis. They seem to be similar projects
callmened

5/23/2015  1:57 PM
McDaniels has actually played in an NBA game with some success. im not even sure thanasis should be in the NBA
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

5/23/2015  2:18 PM
H1AND1 wrote:I like his potential he is very young but a guard who can block the sh@t out of people is promising. Seriously tho, I've been hoping he lands on the knicks for a while.

We already have a guard that can block the **** out of people joining the team next year and his name is Thanasis Antetagreekguy.

VCoug

5/23/2015  4:10 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:
H1AND1 wrote:I like his potential he is very young but a guard who can block the sh@t out of people is promising. Seriously tho, I've been hoping he lands on the knicks for a while.

We already have a guard that can block the **** out of people joining the team next year and his name is Thanasis Antetagreekguy.

Like callmened just said: McDaniels has actually played in an NBA game with some success. I'm not even sure Thanasis should be in the NBA.

KJ McDaniels

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy