[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The case for Justice Winslow
Author Thread
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
6/3/2015  8:35 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/3/2015  8:41 AM
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2008/06/22/sports/basketball/22score.html?referrer=

“They lie,” said Charles Barkley, a basketball commentator for TNT. “I’ve been measured at 6-5, 6-4 ¾. But I started in college at 6-6.”

I took a picture with him and people didnt believe me that Barkley was around 6'4.....playing against guys like Tim Duncan......Winslow has the same strength to make up for his height. And hes exactly the same height as barkley..... With similar mobility and athleticism. ....overpower smalls.....to quick for bigs.....plus hes a lefty like Phill.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
AUTOADVERT
blkexec
6/3/2015  8:45 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/3/2015  8:48 AM
If phil takes Mudiay at 4.....hes in position to trade with the 5th or 6th pick.....grab Winslow or Stein.....and additional picks if those teams have more picks.....Mudiay might be good but will he add more to our team than Winslow or Stein?.....use Mudiay to trade down and get greedy for more players....or just select Winslow. Im fine with either strategy.

Turning pick 4 into multiple picks.....and one of those picks is Winslow or Stein.....that makes up for not picking 1-3

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/3/2015  8:49 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/3/2015  8:50 AM
blkexec wrote:If phil takes Mudiay at 4.....hes in position to trade with the 5th or 6th pick.....grab Winslow or Stein.....and additional picks if those teams have more picks.....Mudiay might be good but will he add more to our team than Winslow or Stein?.....use Mudiay to trade down....or just select Winslow.

But then the reason we want to trade down might be the reason teams don't want to trade up to 4. I think you have to take your #1 guy at 4. Then, hopefully there are 1 or 2 other players you've identified as being almost as good as that guy or maybe even tied with him. And if those players are taken much later, you contact those teams to see if you can do a swap where you get some additional assets.
blkexec
6/3/2015  8:55 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/3/2015  8:56 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
blkexec wrote:If phil takes Mudiay at 4.....hes in position to trade with the 5th or 6th pick.....grab Winslow or Stein.....and additional picks if those teams have more picks.....Mudiay might be good but will he add more to our team than Winslow or Stein?.....use Mudiay to trade down....or just select Winslow.

But then the reason we want to trade down might be the reason teams don't want to trade up to 4. I think you have to take your #1 guy at 4. Then, hopefully there are 1 or 2 other players you've identified as being almost as good as that guy or maybe even tied with him. And if those players are taken much later, you contact those teams to see if you can do a swap where you get some additional assets.

I would only take Mudiay if a deal was already agreed to.....like the team picking 6 will have either winslow or stein sitting there. If pick 5 or 6 dont need a Mudiay type guard....then just pick Winslow or Stein. Basically i agree!

Bonn1997
USA
6/3/2015  8:58 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/3/2015  8:59 AM
blkexec wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

I would only take Mudiay if a deal was already agreed to.....like the team picking 6 will have either winslow or stein sitting there. If pick 5 or 6 dont need a Mudiay type guard....then just pick Winslow or Stein. Basically i agree!

I see what you mean. In that case when you're picking 4, you can know that Winslow or Stein would still be available at 6. I agree with you there though it's still a risk - the other team could back out.
blkexec
6/3/2015  9:18 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/3/2015  9:18 AM
I copied this from another forum.....what you guys think?

The fact that WCS is even projected as a lottery pick boggles my mind. He projects as a good but not great defender and his offensive abilities are limited to dunking pretty much. He's a nice player if you need a lesser Tyson Chandler, but that's about the best thing I can say about him. I wouldn't take him until the mid-late first, where hitting a roleplayer is considered a success.

Winslow is in the mix for #1. He's a better wing prospect than Andrew Wiggins, but the hype machine isn't running for him, so he may slip for no apparent reason. Winslow may be able to guard 4 positions at the NBA level and is a fantastic offensive player. He got off to a slow start, but once he kicked it in to gear, he was the best player in college basketball.

Mudiay is a complete unknown. I simply haven't been projecting him because I haven't seen more than a few highlights of him, and judging a player based on a few highlights from a terrible league seems pointless.

Bonn1997
USA
6/3/2015  9:20 AM
blkexec wrote:I copied this from another forum.....what you guys think?

The fact that WCS is even projected as a lottery pick boggles my mind. He projects as a good but not great defender and his offensive abilities are limited to dunking pretty much. He's a nice player if you need a lesser Tyson Chandler, but that's about the best thing I can say about him. I wouldn't take him until the mid-late first, where hitting a roleplayer is considered a success.

Winslow is in the mix for #1. He's a better wing prospect than Andrew Wiggins, but the hype machine isn't running for him, so he may slip for no apparent reason. Winslow may be able to guard 4 positions at the NBA level and is a fantastic offensive player. He got off to a slow start, but once he kicked it in to gear, he was the best player in college basketball.

Mudiay is a complete unknown. I simply haven't been projecting him because I haven't seen more than a few highlights of him, and judging a player based on a few highlights from a terrible league seems pointless.

I agree with you on WCS. The CPR rating system had him statistically as the 55th best player available in the draft. I'm sure he does things that don't show up in the box score but not enough to move him up 51 or even 40 spots IMO.
blkexec
6/3/2015  9:25 AM
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/04/justise-winslow-jahlil-okafor-nba-draft-march-madness-ncaa-championship

Justise Winslow is a better NBA prospect than Jahlil Okafor

By NATE SCOTT April 7, 2015 9:36 am ET

Duke’s NCAA championship win on Monday night allowed a lot of the nation get to know Justise Winslow and Jahlil Okafor, two elite freshmen who will most likely declare for the NBA draft soon. While Winslow and Okafor both had uneven games against Wisconsin, they showed they have tremendous potential and allowed casual fans to see why NBA teams have been salivating over them for the past few months.

While Okafor — a 6-foot-10 center with an elite offensive post game — has received more attention over the year, it is Winslow who, over the course of March Madness, showed he should be the first one of the two picked in the 2015 draft.

It should be noted that I think Kentucky’s Karl-Anthony Towns is a better prospect than both of these players, and I think that order — Towns, Winslow then Okafor — will be the first three picks in this year’s draft.

Here’s why I think Winslow just edges his teammate as an NBA prospect:

1. Winslow can guard three positions at the NBA level

Winslow is only 6-foot-6 but his insane athleticism and long arms allows him to guard just about anyone. He successfully handled everyone from shooting guards to centers during the tournament, and at the NBA level will be able to guard just about any wing player and most undersized 4s.

Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports
In a league dominated by athletic wings, Winslow will be invaluable to a team looking to improve.

2. It’s not clear that Okafor can guard anyone

Winslow can guard at least three positions in the NBA, and it’s not clear that Okafor can guard even one. While Okafor is a sublime offensive player — Tim Duncan comparisons don’t come around often, and Okafor deserves them — he has struggled mightily both in one-on-one post defense and, more importantly, guarding the pick and roll.

Imagining Okafor trying to deal with someone like John Wall or Chris Paul or Stephen Curry or (dear lord) Russell Westbrook coming off a pick is laughable. Teams will take advantage of him on the defensive end, and he needs to improve that side of his game dramatically.

3. Winslow is exactly the type of player that NBA teams want right now

Look at the players that teams are going nuts for in the NBA right now. The league is learning how valuable athletic wings who can guard anyone (and create their own shots) can be, and guys like that — Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler, and Draymond Green come to mind — are guys that will earn max contracts because the league appreciates just how good they are.

Teams love these guys because they’re versatile, they play both sides of the ball, and they can score. They are the keys that open all the locks. They are perfect players in today’s NBA.

Justise Winslow reminds me a lot of Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler and Draymond Green.

4. Okafor doesn’t makes his free throws

Jahlil Okafor has perfect footwork on offense and demands a double team every time he’s in the post. He’s a near can’t-miss offensive prospect … until he gets to the free throw line. He shot 51% from the line this year, and most NBA teams will happily put him on the foul line if he’s not going to make much more than half of his three throws. It puts a serious dent in his offensive game.

It should be noted that Winslow needs to improve his free throw shooting as well, but his ability to contribute on defense and rebounding means his entire game isn’t hindered by his free throw shooting.

5. Winslow is going to have an outside shot

Winslow hasn’t been a great shooter in his career so far, but he just turned 19 a few weeks ago. His shot isn’t broken, either; he’s got decent form that a good NBA team will have perfected in a year or two. If and when he becomes a good 3-point shooter, combined with his ability to get to the basket (and defend … and rebound) he’s going to be an NBA player with few holes.

Listen, both Okafor and Winslow are going to be great NBA players. Okafor will improve his defense and hopefully become better from the line. I think both will go in the top 3. But if you were to force me to choose, I’m taking Winslow over Okafor. He’s the kind of guy that’s perfect for today’s NBA.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/3/2015  9:47 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/3/2015  9:52 AM
blkexec wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
smackeddog wrote:I'm intrigued to see what would happen if we fielded a team with 3 SFs who can defend, hit the 3 and rebound at the SG,SF and PF (Melo, Carroll and Winslow)

Or Tobias Harris and Winslow and Melo.

The option to take Winslow is appealing to me a little more and more.

Can someone who saw him play a lot talk about whether they think he can guard opposing SGs? If he could do that, I might edge him past Stein on my board.

He's got that sort of second jump in his jump that guys like Jordan and Sprewell had. I like his fire and heart a lot. I think he'd be a fan favorite and a potential great Robin to Melo.

Galloway
Winslow
Melo
Tobias Harris (or Greg Monroe)
Robin Lopez

That team would get after it and try their butts off at both ends every night. I just don't know whether Winslow can be a real SG in the NBA. Part of me thinks he'll be like Paul George and he'll get tried out at SG but eventually slide over to SF where he'll be much better.

My friend at work is a die hard duke fan. Before i knew we were picking 4th i asked him about ok4.....he surprisingly agreed with me that ok4 is alergic to defense and what surprised me is when he said Winslow was the best defender and the best player for most of their championship run....his stats proves that as well....and he was really talking about defense.

I was big on winslow and towns during the tourney. I used to argue that ok4 wasnt even the best player on his team.....it was winslow. His measurements made me take a step back so i started craving for Stein.....for good reason. But even if we had the top pick....i thought a trade down for winslow and a big....was better than any of the top picks...except for Towns....so i was high on him.

But after seeing his stats and doing some thinking. .....picking 4th was the second best thing for us....this way we dont have to reach for him.....Winslow can play SG and SF.....he will over power SGs in the post.....and his first step will be used against SFs....he can also guard 1,2,3.....and as he gets stronger.....he will guard 4s.....similar to barkleys size.....hes a brick with small body fat and lower body strength.

Winslow can do what Stein can do.....just at different positions.....the difference is winslow is no stiff on offense. So he will only get better on both ends. Stein is so far behind on offense....his ceiling on offense could be similar to d.jordan....just catching lobs and put backs. You can find a tall guy to do that later in the draft. You cant find a championship pedigree like winslow....the ultimate glue guy. Him and carrol would help team defense like WCS would......makes us faster on offense with mis matches in 4 positions.

Sg....Carrol
sf....Winslow
pf....Melo
c.....Monroe

Find another center like Upshaw later in the draft.....and you have another big off the bench if you want a bigger lineup....or simply replace monroe with a defensive big....i think winslow will have a major impact on this team.....especially with his chemistry with melo and wanting to play in ny. He will be our jimmy butler.

I agree with what you're saying... though the idea of Greg Monroe starting at center for us is giving me a case of agita. But that would be a good, quality team.

though I still think Stein will be a better defender than a lot of folks here are giving him credit for. Teams abandoned even trying the pick and roll against Kentucky. Anyway, I'm starting to come around to the idea that Winslow is the better all around pick. If we don't take him at 4, the Magic will certainly take him at 5.

¿ △ ?
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/3/2015  10:00 AM
crzymdups wrote:
blkexec wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
smackeddog wrote:I'm intrigued to see what would happen if we fielded a team with 3 SFs who can defend, hit the 3 and rebound at the SG,SF and PF (Melo, Carroll and Winslow)

Can someone who saw him play a lot talk about whether they think he can guard opposing SGs? If he could do that, I might edge him past Stein on my board.

He's got that sort of second jump in his jump that guys like Jordan and Sprewell had. I like his fire and heart a lot. I think he'd be a fan favorite and a potential great Robin to Melo.

Galloway
Winslow
Melo
Robin Lopez

That team would get after it and try their butts off at both ends every night. I just don't know whether Winslow can be a real SG in the NBA. Part of me thinks he'll be like Paul George and he'll get tried out at SG but eventually slide over to SF where he'll be much better.

My friend at work is a die hard duke fan. Before i knew we were picking 4th i asked him about ok4.....he surprisingly agreed with me that ok4 is alergic to defense and what surprised me is when he said Winslow was the best defender and the best player for most of their championship run....his stats proves that as well....and he was really talking about defense.

I was big on winslow and towns during the tourney. I used to argue that ok4 wasnt even the best player on his team.....it was winslow. His measurements made me take a step back so i started craving for Stein.....for good reason. But even if we had the top pick....i thought a trade down for winslow and a big....was better than any of the top picks...except for Towns....so i was high on him.

But after seeing his stats and doing some thinking. .....picking 4th was the second best thing for us....this way we dont have to reach for him.....Winslow can play SG and SF.....he will over power SGs in the post.....and his first step will be used against SFs....he can also guard 1,2,3.....and as he gets stronger.....he will guard 4s.....similar to barkleys size.....hes a brick with small body fat and lower body strength.

Winslow can do what Stein can do.....just at different positions.....the difference is winslow is no stiff on offense. So he will only get better on both ends. Stein is so far behind on offense....his ceiling on offense could be similar to d.jordan....just catching lobs and put backs. You can find a tall guy to do that later in the draft. You cant find a championship pedigree like winslow....the ultimate glue guy. Him and carrol would help team defense like WCS would......makes us faster on offense with mis matches in 4 positions.

Sg....Carrol
sf....Winslow
pf....Melo
c.....Monroe

Find another center like Upshaw later in the draft.....and you have another big off the bench if you want a bigger lineup....or simply replace monroe with a defensive big....i think winslow will have a major impact on this team.....especially with his chemistry with melo and wanting to play in ny. He will be our jimmy butler.

I agree with what you're saying... though the idea of Greg Monroe starting at center for us is giving me a case of agita. But that would be a good, quality team.

though I still think Stein will be a better defender than a lot of teams are giving him credit for. Teams abandoned even trying the pick and roll against Kentucky. Anyway, I'm starting to come around to the idea that Winslow is the better all around pick. If we don't take him at 4, the Magic will certainly take him at 5.

I think that's Monroe's best spot. He's not a rim protector, but he's certainly a lane clogger. He's a good rebounder and wont get pushed around in the post.

I like Winslow alot. I think you will see a Wilson Chandler type game very early on, maybe even as a rookie. A good defender who switches and helps really well. Some offensive outburts and some bad shooting nights will be expected, but I think your getting Wilson Chandler with an upside of Jimmy Butler/Kawhi Lenard/Paul George type of do all wing player. How can you not sign on for that at pick 4? you know he's going to be good, with a (slim) chance to be a top player in the draft

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
blkexec
6/3/2015  10:05 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/3/2015  10:08 AM
crzymdups wrote:
blkexec wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Galloway
Winslow
Melo
Robin Lopez

Sg....Carrol
sf....Winslow
pf....Melo
c.....Monroe

though I still think Stein will be a better defender than a lot of folks here are giving him credit for. Teams abandoned even trying the pick and roll against Kentucky. Anyway, I'm starting to come around to the idea that Winslow is the better all around pick. If we don't take him at 4, the Magic will certainly take him at 5.

Im with you on Stein....hes not getting enough credit. A defensive anchor is not a sexy position because you can measure success with stats. But Stein would elevate the entire teams defense.....Which is why its a hard thing to pass up. The only thing we will miss is his rim protection. Winslow and Carrol would also slow down the PnR plays.

mreinman
Member: #3189

6/3/2015  10:09 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:

I agree with you on WCS. The CPR rating system had him statistically as the 55th best player available in the draft. I'm sure he does things that don't show up in the box score but not enough to move him up 51 or even 40 spots IMO.

how does CPR calculate and appreciate defense?

so here is what phil is thinking ....
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

6/3/2015  10:11 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/3/2015  10:12 AM
I don't think Winslow fits here but the more I think about it the more I don't care. At this point I would be ecstatic with Mudiay, Russell, or Winslow (assuming Okafor doesn't fall). If they pick anyone else I might snap
DLeethal wrote: Lol Rick needs a safe space
Knicks1969
Member: #5915

6/3/2015  10:13 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/3/2015  10:13 AM
Monroe would look like a super star playing next to an agile defender like Stein. Just like Stein elevated all do the Kentucky players, his activity alone will force lazy defenders like Carmelo to play hard. Specifically, when the garden crowd gets behind Stein and starts chanting his name.
Thank God Fisher is no longer our coach, now let's get Calderon out of here:)
Bonn1997
USA
6/3/2015  10:27 AM
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

how does CPR calculate and appreciate defense?

The standard box score #s plus a significant adjustment for class year.
blkexec
6/3/2015  11:13 AM
Knicks1969 wrote:Monroe would look like a super star playing next to an agile defender like Stein. Just like Stein elevated all do the Kentucky players, his activity alone will force lazy defenders like Carmelo to play hard. Specifically, when the garden crowd gets behind Stein and starts chanting his name.

I agree...i just dont trust Melo at SF. I think when he was younger that was his natural position....but at SF....he will try and take his man in the paint....force monroe and stein to leave the paint. ...and steins man would double. I think team transition speed would be slower. With winslow....it put melo at PF where he can use his speed and create space for his mid range.....adds more team speed.....

But like the other poster said....since we are picking at 4.....it really doesnt matter who we pick at this point. Winslow...Mudiay. ....Stein are all viable options that can contribute at the nba level.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/3/2015  11:50 AM
blkexec wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:Monroe would look like a super star playing next to an agile defender like Stein. Just like Stein elevated all do the Kentucky players, his activity alone will force lazy defenders like Carmelo to play hard. Specifically, when the garden crowd gets behind Stein and starts chanting his name.

I agree...i just dont trust Melo at SF. I think when he was younger that was his natural position....but at SF....he will try and take his man in the paint....force monroe and stein to leave the paint. ...and steins man would double. I think team transition speed would be slower. With winslow....it put melo at PF where he can use his speed and create space for his mid range.....adds more team speed.....

But like the other poster said....since we are picking at 4.....it really doesnt matter who we pick at this point. Winslow...Mudiay. ....Stein are all viable options that can contribute at the nba level.

If Anthony is the plan at 4, Monroe is out.

If Winslow shows any kind of fluent off the dribble game when he finally emerges in some vids or team workouts, I would be more than willing to pick him.

Winslow at 3, Anthony at 4, and a defensive minded shot blocking center, and we might have an interesting team.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/3/2015  11:55 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:
blkexec wrote:

If Winslow shows any kind of fluent off the dribble game when he finally emerges in some vids or team workouts, I would be more than willing to pick him.

Winslow at 3, Anthony at 4, and a defensive minded shot blocking center, and we might have an interesting team.

Gasol would look fantastic in that frontcourt.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
blkexec
6/3/2015  11:56 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/3/2015  11:58 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:
blkexec wrote:

This is when you can just add a cheap defensive big, with no offense.....You also have Plumlee out there. Phil can do his classic 5 center rotation. Remember, thats Phils role on the knicks....a roll playing center. he will find some in that position....but take a look at the rest of the team....it's kinda nice.

Thj
Shrvd
Gallo
Carrol
Winslow
Melo

Everybody plays multiple positions on offense or defense....
Everybody can shoot.
Everybody is 6'6 or taller

It's a Phil Jackson dream team of multi dimensional wings......He just needs to find some Phil Jackson type centers.....Gasol, Plumlee, Lopez.....

FistOfOakley
Member: #3075

6/3/2015  12:07 PM
monroe and stein would just be pretty funny considering how much of a failure drummond and monroe was...
The case for Justice Winslow

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy