[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The case for Justice Winslow
Author Thread
jbeachboy
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6050

5/24/2015  7:58 PM
he is good, it depends what knicks value more, i think mudiay is more advanced him on offensive end and passing but winslow has edge on defense
AUTOADVERT
RonRon
Member: #246
5/24/2015  8:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/24/2015  8:27 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
nixluva wrote:In the end both Winslow and Mudiay are worthy picks, but it's gonna be up to Phil to figure out who gives us the best value at #4. Who has the best upside and best chance to actually maximize that potential. It's a tough decision IMO.

picking mudiay is like picking a faster iman shumpert. that is at best a #10 pick... not #4.

IMO,
actually Winslow seems to be a better comparison to Iman Shumpert than Mudiay, though Winslow could be better than Iman
My point is there is a reason why Iman looks better in Cleveland along with every other player while they were on The Knicks

Meaning he has to play with a Jimmy Butler, Kawaii Leanard, Lebron James, along with those Coaches/system/strong DEFENSE/CHEMISTRY/TEAM PLAY, or/and many TOP TIER TALENTS
Iman Shumpert failed as a Knick because we didn't have TOP TIER DEFENDERS and FACILATORS/TO CREATE FOR OTHERS, and LEADERS around him, with too many players that were weak on DEFENSE

I like Winslow, however, he will be your Avery Bradley/Tony Allen type defender, while you need MUCH MORE DEFENSE coming from other positions
He is not a SG yet and an undersized SF, so do we push CA to PF full time?
If we play CA at SF though, he will have trouble defending shooters and shooters that can penetrate/faciltiate as well, play him at PF then we are weak in DEFENSE, SHOT BLOCKING, REBOUNDING
Also Thanasis plays the same position, while neither looks like they can play the PG either, so one of them will be a mismatch at SF, in addition to CA as well at PF

We signed Tyson Chandler and drafted Iman Shumpert, then prayed we would have a good defensive team, DEFENSE is played by 5 players
While you can have 1 weak defender, NOTHING else more, you simply cannot make up for more than 1 not very good defender out of 5 players

jbeachboy

5/24/2015  8:51 PM
i think mudiay has a higher ceiling than winslow
blkexec
Member: #748
5/24/2015  8:53 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/24/2015  8:56 PM
RonRon wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
nixluva wrote:In the end both Winslow and Mudiay are worthy picks, but it's gonna be up to Phil to figure out who gives us the best value at #4. Who has the best upside and best chance to actually maximize that potential. It's a tough decision IMO.

picking mudiay is like picking a faster iman shumpert. that is at best a #10 pick... not #4.

IMO,
actually Winslow seems to be a better comparison to Iman Shumpert than Mudiay, though Winslow could be better than Iman
My point is there is a reason why Iman looks better in Cleveland along with every other player while they were on The Knicks

Meaning he has to play with a Jimmy Butler, Kawaii Leanard, Lebron James, along with those Coaches/system/strong DEFENSE/CHEMISTRY/TEAM PLAY, or/and many TOP TIER TALENTS
Iman Shumpert failed as a Knick because we didn't have TOP TIER DEFENDERS and FACILATORS/TO CREATE FOR OTHERS, and LEADERS around him, with too many players that were weak on DEFENSE

I like Winslow, however, he will be your Avery Bradley/Tony Allen type defender, while you need MUCH MORE DEFENSE coming from other positions
He is not a SG yet and an undersized SF, so do we push CA to PF full time?
If we play CA at SF though, he will have trouble defending shooters and shooters that can penetrate/faciltiate as well, play him at PF then we are weak in DEFENSE, SHOT BLOCKING, REBOUNDING
Also Thanasis plays the same position, while neither looks like they can play the PG either, so one of them will be a mismatch at SF, in addition to CA as well at PF

We signed Tyson Chandler and drafted Iman Shumpert, then prayed we would have a good defensive team, DEFENSE is played by 5 players
While you can have 1 weak defender, NOTHING else more, you simply cannot make up for more than 1 not very good defender out of 5 players

He failed because we gave him too much responsibility over the course of his career. Then comes Phil's triangle system where he started to over think too much, and wasn't using his instincts like he is now. He said Cleveland makes everything real simple. If you're open, shoot...If they close out, drive. He doesn't have to worry about any geometrical shapes or Melo in his ear saying, "I'm open" on every play. Sometimes keeping it simple is better. Everybody has different mental capacities. And most players rather use their instincts than an offensive system. Unless you are the best player on the team, Phil wants everybody else to stay within the system. This is why they probably love Winslow, and not so much with Mudiay....But as with Kobe coming out of HS.....The last thing you want to do is pass on a potential superstar. And Mudiay has superstar potential. Winslow seems to be at best, Robin next to a Batman role.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
jbeachboy

5/24/2015  8:57 PM
why doesnt winslow have superstar potential??
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
5/25/2015  1:42 AM
jbeachboy wrote:why doesnt winslow have superstar potential??

Usually that player is someone who can be the focal point of your offense. Someone who can carry a team for considerable stretches of a game or season. A player who can ascend to a higher level when it's needed. Guys like Pippen who are great all around sidekicks aren't the kind of guys you base everything around but they fill in all the gaps and make things happen when it's needed. Winslow is more of a Pippen type.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/25/2015  1:48 AM
nixluva wrote:

Usually that player is someone who can be the focal point of your offense. Someone who can carry a team for considerable stretches of a game or season. A player who can ascend to a higher level when it's needed. Guys like Pippen who are great all around sidekicks aren't the kind of guys you base everything around but they fill in all the gaps and make things happen when it's needed. Winslow is more of a Pippen type.
Not a bad guy to have. All of Pip's numbers went up during Jordan's hiatus except his assists.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
USA
5/25/2015  1:56 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Not a bad guy to have. All of Pip's numbers went up during Jordan's hiatus except his assists.

Winslow is a very interesting player but I think the Knicks were hoping for more of a Batman than a Robin. They're gonna dig as deep as they can to make sure that they don't have a chance at a lead guy before they settle on a Robin type. It's the curse of drafting this high but not 1 or 2 or even 3. Now they've gotta hope one of these kids at #4 are a possible star.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/25/2015  2:04 AM
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Winslow is a very interesting player but I think the Knicks were hoping for more of a Batman than a Robin. They're gonna dig as deep as they can to make sure that they don't have a chance at a lead guy before they settle on a Robin type. It's the curse of drafting this high but not 1 or 2 or even 3. Now they've gotta hope one of these kids at #4 are a possible star.
I keep wondering what Philly does if the Lakers take Russell. If they offer the Knicks Embiid or select Okafor and offer him for the 4 and another pick I think the Knicks need to do it. I know Emiid isn't a favorite of Butler's but the guy is an incredible talent.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
smackeddog
Member: #883
5/25/2015  3:24 AM

Because for seem reason people value offence over defense. If Winslow was potentially an elite scorer, with question marks on his defense, he would be ranked higher than he is asa potentially elite defender with question marks on his offense. Also his high I think is an issue.

smackeddog
Member: #883
5/25/2015  3:25 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:

I keep wondering what Philly does if the Lakers take Russell. If they offer the Knicks Embiid or select Okafor and offer him for the 4 and another pick I think the Knicks need to do it. I know Emiid isn't a favorite of Butler's but the guy is an incredible talent.

I like Embiid, but we all know what happens when we trade for injured players. He's fractured his back and broken his foot before he's even played an NBA game- a huuuuuuuuuge red flag.

jbeachboy

5/25/2015  1:14 PM
its really hard to judge and predict the future potential and determine how high their ceiling is for a player and can only go by what the scouts and film show so it will be interesting if its mudiay, winslow, or a mystery pick
fwk00
Member: #6048

5/25/2015  4:59 PM
I liked what I saw of Winslow in the tournament. My primary issue with him is that he appears to be undersized at the NBA SF position. Acy and Thomas are bigger and IMO they are role players because they are undersized. I don't want to knock the kid because he will be a situational force somewhere.

IMO, if the Knicks select Winslow they've decided to run with Gallo/Shved, Calderon/Hardy, and believe they can't sign any of the plethora of swingmen on the FA market. This is a hard option to imagine because Jackson does not want to pay premium dollars for relatively mundane talent at the PG position AND the likely Max signing must happen at the center position which paints them into a corner.

Second, a year from now you'll look back having spent your #4 pick on a tweener - that's just silly. If you want to mitigate risk there are two safe positions - draft big because bigs hold their value even when they suck or draft a PG because they drop like flies and are worth their weight in gold.

Third, we have Tenacious coming in as well. I think he's going to be The Greek freak II. If he is, you just used pick #4 redundantly.

If Mudiay is not our pick then draft big and draft often if we can get a pick or two.

FistOfOakley
Member: #3075

5/25/2015  5:27 PM
why do ppl think winslow is a tweener? he has perfect size for a sg...
nixluva
USA
5/25/2015  5:50 PM
fwk00 wrote:I liked what I saw of Winslow in the tournament. My primary issue with him is that he appears to be undersized at the NBA SF position. Acy and Thomas are bigger and IMO they are role players because they are undersized. I don't want to knock the kid because he will be a situational force somewhere.

IMO, if the Knicks select Winslow they've decided to run with Gallo/Shved, Calderon/Hardy, and believe they can't sign any of the plethora of swingmen on the FA market. This is a hard option to imagine because Jackson does not want to pay premium dollars for relatively mundane talent at the PG position AND the likely Max signing must happen at the center position which paints them into a corner.

Second, a year from now you'll look back having spent your #4 pick on a tweener - that's just silly. If you want to mitigate risk there are two safe positions - draft big because bigs hold their value even when they suck or draft a PG because they drop like flies and are worth their weight in gold.

Third, we have Tenacious coming in as well. I think he's going to be The Greek freak II. If he is, you just used pick #4 redundantly.

If Mudiay is not our pick then draft big and draft often if we can get a pick or two.

You make some great points. We do need superior talent period. I don't really care too much about the position at this point, except at SF it's a problem since we have talent there. I don't really see Winslow as a SF. I kind of see him more as a SG in the NBA. He's not in the mold of a very agile SG but more like a Wesley Matthews or Danny Green. Big defensive 3nD guards. He can get to the rim well enough IMO. He should be able to fit in the Triangle since he's effective without the ball.

fwk00
Member: #6048

5/25/2015  8:25 PM
Gallo was showing us clutch offense and excellent defense. Gallo is a sufficient point but a better two. That's why I see Winslow as a SF. I could be wrong. At 220, he's load for sure.
Knicks1969
Member: #5915

5/26/2015  11:29 AM
Lakers are about to send shock wave by selecting Russell instead of Towns or Okafor. I see Minny selecting Okafor, because it will be to hard to pass on his offensive efficiency. At the end, Knicks will select Towns and later trade him and Calderon to LA for Russell and a late draft pick.
Thank God Fisher is no longer our coach, now let's get Calderon out of here:)
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
5/26/2015  12:03 PM
Knicks1969 wrote:Lakers are about to send shock wave by selecting Russell instead of Towns or Okafor. I see Minny selecting Okafor, because it will be to hard to pass on his offensive efficiency. At the end, Knicks will select Towns and later trade him and Calderon to LA for Russell and a late draft pick.

I can't see any scenario in the world in which Philadelphia didn't draft Towns. No way they let him slip to 4th, even if they have to trade Noel or Embiid or Towns himself.

¿ △ ?
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
5/26/2015  12:08 PM
I love Winslow and I think he will be an Ariza type player. I just don't think he is worth the #4 pick right now.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
5/26/2015  12:14 PM
NYKBocker wrote:I love Winslow and I think he will be an Ariza type player. I just don't think he is worth the #4 pick right now.

I think there's some residual hangover about not getting a top two pick that is making people think that the player we get at 4 has to somehow be the superstar of the draft. It's not going to happen. We're not getting Towns, Okafor or Russell. It was a three player draft in terms of sure thing stars and we got pick 4. Sh*t happens.

I think we just need to pick the guy who we think is the best player at 4. Period. No funny business, no praying for a miraculous development from a raw talent. Pick the best basketball player. We need help at every position. If you think Winslow is the best player - just take him.

¿ △ ?
The case for Justice Winslow

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy