[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The case for Justice Winslow
Author Thread
dk7th
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4228
USA
5/22/2015  10:46 AM
Vmart wrote:I like Winslow. I like how he rebounds and runs the break he attacks the basket well decent shooter. But does he have the ability to raise the level of play of others? Can he create for others at a high level. Winslow would be a great player to have but if presented with the choice of Mudiay or Winslow I would take Mudiay, Winslow for me was behind Mudiay but ahead of Russell only because of athleticism.

you are describing a franchise talent which is too much of a burden to place on any of these young men. that said, winslow is going to exceed expectations based on his intangibles alone, and i foresee a player who will be able to draw fouls while being able to guard three positions. we have to have two-way players in the starting lineup to cover melo's defense. the others you mention don't have a rep for d.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
AUTOADVERT
Knicks1969
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5915

5/22/2015  10:50 AM
I get sick to my stomach when folks who don't even know much about Mudiay give him a lot more value then a kid like Winslow, whom we've all watched grown right in front of our eyes. If this kid were to stay for another year, he would for sure be at the top of the lottery.

This kid is super athletic, defend with the best of them all, and still has a lot of room to grow. The five guys I won't mind seing with the Knicks are: Russell, towns, Okafor, Stein,and Winslow

Thank God Fisher is no longer our coach, now let's get Calderon out of here:)
smackeddog
Member: #883
5/22/2015  10:52 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/22/2015  10:53 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:
smackeddog wrote:One thing we should add to these case threads maybe should be what free agents you'd target to complement the draft pick.

Oh good job you just gave Briggs another thread to start. Lol

I have no idea myself- ha! I think it's tougher to fill in the roster if you pick him- we'd have to make do with Gallo, Shved or Calderon at PG, and then use money on PF/C. Is a team based on Melo, Winslow and Monroe something to build on? I wouldn't be very excited by that. Maybe Winslow, Melo and Milsap, but again not exciting.

PG- Beverley
SG- Winslow
SF- Carroll
PF- Love or Aldridge
C- whoever we can afford

or

PG- crap we've already got
SG- Winslow
SF- Melo
PF- Brandon Wright
C- Monroe

I just can't form a team I'd be happy with. Any suggestions?

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/22/2015  10:55 AM
If the Knicks work him out and say he's the guy fine. He's got fantastic 2-way potential. So many aspects of their games will only be shown in workouts and we have very little to go on these guys mentally. My absolutely NOTs at pick #4 are Frank, WCS
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Knicks1969

5/22/2015  10:56 AM
Langston, Winslow, Carmelo, Monroe, and another big
Knicks1969

5/22/2015  11:02 AM
fishmike wrote:If the Knicks work him out and say he's the guy fine. He's got fantastic 2-way potential. So many aspects of their games will only be shown in workouts and we have very little to go on these guys mentally. My absolutely NOTs at pick #4 are Frank, WCS

Fishmike, what makes Mudiay an absolute MUST at 4?????

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/22/2015  11:24 AM
callmened wrote:my point was stackhouse was a bonafide scorer no questions asked. all i know about winslow is that hes a beast physically, thrives in transition and plays good defense. heis learning how to shoot and his scoring can improve. but stackhouse was more polished offensively coming out of UNC

Think College Stackhouse, the guy with questionable ball skills who played out of position and constantly attacked the basket. Winslow is the better defender, but I see similarities between him and Stack in college. He was referring to Winslow's ability to slash and draw fouls. Here is an pre-draft old scouting report of Stack I found:

Offensively, Stackhouse is great at driving to the basket, either finishing
or drawing a foul (he gets to the line a *ton*). He has really worked
hard at improving his range (from 2 for 20 to 37 for 90). He has a real
nice looking shot, however it is still a little flat and takes to long to
get off (not a real quick release). Still it got better as the year went
on and I expect him to have a great outside shot before his career is
done. Stackhouse turns the ball over way to much and will need a much
better dribble to be a NBA guard. Stackhouse is a *great* offensive
rebounder.

Here is a snippet from draftexprrss.como Winslow:

Offensively, Winslow is not the most prolific scorer around, with his 17 points per-40 ranking towards the bottom among wing players in this draft, but he's efficient, with a 58% TS%, and also is a solid passer who rarely turns the ball over. He's excellent in transition, where he finds himself frequently with his aggressive style of play, and can also go down to the low post and punish opposing players with his strong frame. He is very intelligent operating off the ball, showing a great knack for being in the right place at the right time and making strong cuts to the rim when the opportunity presents itself.

While not the fanciest ball-handler, he can create a little off the dribble as well thanks to his quick first step, strong frame and incisive nature. Even though he's mostly a straight-line driver, he's developed his ability to operate at different speeds and will mix in some simple change of directions to keep defenders off-balance. He will often lower his shoulder and just bulldoze his way to the basket with pure strength, showing decent touch with either hand once he gets there, even if he's not the most vertically explosive guy around.

Winslow was considered a mediocre shooter coming into college, as he made just 26 of the 86 [30%] 3-pointers he attempted in 1900 minutes and 82 games in the many events (FIBA, EYBL, Adidas Nations, etc) he participated in prior to Duke that we have on record. He clearly put a lot of time into improving his shooting mechanics, and came into the year with a much more compact stroke than in the past, which resulted in him shooting 46/111 [41%] from beyond the arc as a freshman, a significant improvement.

He's mostly a catch and shoot guy who needs time and space to get his shot off, but that's nonetheless a very encouraging sign. The next step for him will be developing his ability to shoot off the dribble, where he struggles badly, only hitting 2 of 19 pull-ups on the season.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
5/22/2015  12:36 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/22/2015  12:37 PM
I think the case for Winslow is that he has already proven he can play effectively next to a star who is the focal point of the offense. Winslow is the most perfect Robin or Pippen, if you will, that there is in this draft. He's not a #1 option but he's exactly the guy you want as your #2. He doesn't need the ball to be effective. Mudiay is likely to be a very clear #1 IMO. He's going to have the ball creating for himself and others. He's gonna be a late in the shot clock, end of qtr and crunch time option due to his breakdown ability. That's basically the main difference. This team could use both players.
smackeddog
Member: #883
5/22/2015  12:44 PM
when do the workouts start? I'm itching for news
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

5/22/2015  1:03 PM
I LOVE Winslow. I think he's a baller. But the only way he makes sense is if Melo moves to full time PF otherwise I just don't see it. especially with the Greek Freak's brother and Cleanthony in the fold
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
blkexec
Member: #748
5/22/2015  1:12 PM
nixluva wrote:I think the case for Winslow is that he has already proven he can play effectively next to a star who is the focal point of the offense. Winslow is the most perfect Robin or Pippen, if you will, that there is in this draft. He's not a #1 option but he's exactly the guy you want as your #2. He doesn't need the ball to be effective. Mudiay is likely to be a very clear #1 IMO. He's going to have the ball creating for himself and others. He's gonna be a late in the shot clock, end of qtr and crunch time option due to his breakdown ability. That's basically the main difference. This team could use both players.

If Melo truly wants a vet at PG and Phil agrees.....Then the pick is either Russell (who I see as a SG) that can play with a vet PG. Winslow, who's the best Pippen comparison in the draft. He's not like Pippen, but he will play the same role. He's the best player to have (next to Towns) that can play next to a star, and not have any plays run for him. He's a proven talent with experience at the Championship level. Mudiay is nice, but he comes with more risk. If Winslow doesn't improve much from what you saw in the tournament, he's still a valuable pick. But like all 19 year olds coming off a championship, he will improve on his weaknesses. If Russell doesn't improve, he's still a solid shooter and passer. If Mudiay doesn't improve, I hate to say this but it's a wasted pick. Right now, he's not polished at anything.....Maybe attacking the rim would be his true skill.....But with so many turnovers, he's not a reliable PG to have in crunch time. So worse case, he's a terrible pick. Best case, he's a star.

If we really want Butler and think Butler would put us over the top, then Winslow is a cheaper version, with instant chemistry with Melo. Winslow and a vet PG and vet Center would be the most ideal pickups to me. And if anybody has followed me during the season, I've raved about Winslow and Towns all year. I'm even coming around to a WCS pick at #4. Right now, unless and this is a big unless.....if Phil thinks Mudiay is the next MJ or Kobe, you pick him up. If his ceiling is Tyreke Evans, you pass and get somebody less risky. What I like about WCS or Winslow, is that they can come in and find a role right away. WCS will play the same role that D.Jordan plays for the clippers. A big who has enough lateral quickness to guard 5 positions.....Let me repeat.....5 positions. I don't care if he doesn't have a jump shot, he will score on put backs and alley oops. His defense alone will bring value.

Winslow is the same way.....doesn't need the ball to impact the game.....He can also guard multiple positions, which allows Fisher to play different lineups. Mudiay doesn't play as affective off the ball.....and that scares me, assuming he doesn't improve in that area.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

5/22/2015  1:22 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:I LOVE Winslow. I think he's a baller. But the only way he makes sense is if Melo moves to full time PF otherwise I just don't see it. especially with the Greek Freak's brother and Cleanthony in the fold

Yeah...not sure I would want him at SG, but I don't know about PF. Wonder if he has another inch of growth in him. At 6'7" 230-5 lbs, with his strength he could be a terror for other teams to deal with, and eventually be the type of guy you could use on Lebron. I think he'd have to grow a bit to play at the 4, except in certain situations. He played big in college, not sure it will translate to the NBA.

Best place for him might be SF, but that would mean moving Anthony. If you do this, you really need a shot blocker at center, and I don't think Monroe would fit in here.

Will be interesting to see where Phil thinks Winslow would play, and how they decide to work him out.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Knicks1969

5/22/2015  1:47 PM
Strengths: Big time athlete with elite level speed and athleticism ... Shows the ability to score in a variety of ways, with spot up shooting as well as scoring off the dribble ... Can finish at the rim with highlight dunks, and does a good job of utilizing his great body strength to absorb contact ... Very dangerous in the open floor with his speed and leaping ability ... Tremendous basketball body with solid wingspan and great body strength considering his age ... One of those rare kids that had an NBA ready body coming out of high school ... Lefty shooter with nice touch ... Has knocked down the college 3 ball at a good clip and with steady volume (39% with 1.4 makes per game) ... Excellent on ball defender showing great lateral speed and awareness as well as a high effort level. Even blocks some shots, making use of his great quickness and timing ... Has done a solid job of avoiding turnovers and making solid decisions with the ball, as evidenced by his positive a/to ratio ... Comfortable handling the ball on the break ... Has exhibited a nice ability to create off the dribble from the perimeter and get to the rim and finish ... Also has good body control and touch on the move. His ability to convert plays while operating at such a high rate of speed is very intriguing ... Smart kid and considered a high character individual ...
Knicks1969

5/22/2015  1:49 PM
If we miss out on the next Curry (Russell), we might as well take our chance on the next Harden
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/22/2015  1:51 PM
Knicks1969 wrote:Strengths: Big time athlete with elite level speed and athleticism ... Shows the ability to score in a variety of ways, with spot up shooting as well as scoring off the dribble ... Can finish at the rim with highlight dunks, and does a good job of utilizing his great body strength to absorb contact ... Very dangerous in the open floor with his speed and leaping ability ... Tremendous basketball body with solid wingspan and great body strength considering his age ... One of those rare kids that had an NBA ready body coming out of high school ... Lefty shooter with nice touch ... Has knocked down the college 3 ball at a good clip and with steady volume (39% with 1.4 makes per game) ... Excellent on ball defender showing great lateral speed and awareness as well as a high effort level. Even blocks some shots, making use of his great quickness and timing ... Has done a solid job of avoiding turnovers and making solid decisions with the ball, as evidenced by his positive a/to ratio ... Comfortable handling the ball on the break ... Has exhibited a nice ability to create off the dribble from the perimeter and get to the rim and finish ... Also has good body control and touch on the move. His ability to convert plays while operating at such a high rate of speed is very intriguing ... Smart kid and considered a high character individual ...
Might as well post the rest and the link:
Weaknesses: Throughout his high school and AAU career he flashed tremendous talent but struggled to sustain a high level of consistency ... Can lose focus at times during games, but has been a lot more consistent and prepared then expected ... He needs to continue to show a high level of aggression and intensity in order to realize his immense talent ... Shot shows high potential but still has some minor kinks in his mechanics that need to be ironed out in order to add range and consistency ... Should look to improve upon his current 62% FT shooting ...

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/justise-winslow
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Knicks1969

5/22/2015  1:54 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:Strengths: Big time athlete with elite level speed and athleticism ... Shows the ability to score in a variety of ways, with spot up shooting as well as scoring off the dribble ... Can finish at the rim with highlight dunks, and does a good job of utilizing his great body strength to absorb contact ... Very dangerous in the open floor with his speed and leaping ability ... Tremendous basketball body with solid wingspan and great body strength considering his age ... One of those rare kids that had an NBA ready body coming out of high school ... Lefty shooter with nice touch ... Has knocked down the college 3 ball at a good clip and with steady volume (39% with 1.4 makes per game) ... Excellent on ball defender showing great lateral speed and awareness as well as a high effort level. Even blocks some shots, making use of his great quickness and timing ... Has done a solid job of avoiding turnovers and making solid decisions with the ball, as evidenced by his positive a/to ratio ... Comfortable handling the ball on the break ... Has exhibited a nice ability to create off the dribble from the perimeter and get to the rim and finish ... Also has good body control and touch on the move. His ability to convert plays while operating at such a high rate of speed is very intriguing ... Smart kid and considered a high character individual ...
Weaknesses: Throughout his high school and AAU career he flashed tremendous talent but struggled to sustain a high level of consistency ... Can lose focus at times during games, but has been a lot more consistent and prepared then expected ... He needs to continue to show a high level of aggression and intensity in order to realize his immense talent ... Shot shows high potential but still has some minor kinks in his mechanics that need to be ironed out in order to add range and consistency ... Should look to improve upon his current 62% FT shooting ...

Thanks. They said the things about Harden.
Knicks1969

5/22/2015  1:55 PM
NBA comparison: Manu Ginobili/Brandon Roy
Strengths: Very smooth and crafty wing player … Used his sophomore season to add new dimensions to his game, and he proved to be a steady and consistent scoring threat … One of the most mature and NBA ready players of his class … He has great feel and understanding of the game, knows when he has to be a facilitator and when he has to take over the scoring load … As much as he brings in terms of scoring, his vision and playmaking ability may be his most impressive attributes … He makes great reads and is extremely unselfish … Has a developed body that is prepared to handle the rigors he will face in the league … In ISO situations he has a variety of deceptive and shifty moves that allow him to get by defenders … Out of the triple threat he is difficult to defend because his jab step is long and he sells his shot fake extremely well … Off the bounce he incorporates a nice crossover as well as in&out and behind the back dribbles to get into the lane … His jumper has shown great improvements, he has added range as well as consistency from the outside … His strength is a great asset because he is not afraid to use his body, either on drives or when playing with his back to the basket … Has good balance and body control when finishing around the basket … He has become a difficult matchup, because he looks to take advantage of mismatches, and enjoys playing with his back to the basket … Has a great feel for the ball, on the glass and in the passing lanes …

Weaknesses: Ended the season with two very poor performances in the NCAA Tournament, which has unfairly taken some luster off of a great season (he faced zone defenses on both occasions and it forced him to play out of his comfort zone)… Does not posses the great size that many have at his position … His leaping ability and quickness are only marginal, which forces him into tough and contested drives and makes it hard for him to get by people … Even though he has worked on his drives going right, he is still not nearly as comfortable and effective as he needs to be … Defenders have a much easier time cutting of his driving lanes when he does go right … His midrange game will need to become more polished, his ability to make shots off the dribble before the helpside D rotates will be key … He has become turnover prone at 3.4 per game, but this is mostly a result of being asked to do too much …

Borko Popic - 5/17/2009

blkexec
Member: #748
5/22/2015  2:01 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/22/2015  2:07 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

This is a case where draft express on his weaknesses can be out dated, especially when someone is growing right before your eyes. He might have had these weaknesses before the tournament, but when you can be consistent in the tournament, playing against the top college talent, along side a top player like OK4, that says a lot. I believe he's already improving, while we are still hoping others improve. Winslow and Harden is a good comparison. He doesn't have Harden's handles, but he has everything else. He has the it factor you can't really explain. Most of the top picks have this. They shine when needed and don't hide from the bright lights. Perform under pressure. These are the qualities you need in NY. He plays bigger than his size. And he's clutch. This doesn't show up in the measurements.....which is why you need to whole picture to evaluate a 19 year old. Personally, I think his impact in the NBA could be on the level as OK4, in the right system. He's a system type player, so the triangle is made for him. I hate passing on talent, just to add players that fit the system, but I don't think we are passing on any known talent at pick#4.....Mudiay is a high risk/high reward, and a unknown.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Knicks1969

5/22/2015  2:10 PM
Exactly bikexec. Harden's weaknesses are now his strengths. His handle is now one of the best in the league. I think Winslow, under the right system and coaching, can be special as well. The kid was coached by a big time coach in coach K
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

5/22/2015  2:30 PM
Knicks1969 wrote:Exactly bikexec. Harden's weaknesses are now his strengths. His handle is now one of the best in the league. I think Winslow, under the right system and coaching, can be special as well. The kid was coached by a big time coach in coach K

I don't see him as a Harden.

I mentioned this somewhere else- Coach K compared him to Wade.

Not sure about this either, but Harden can be a very selfish player at times, although he's gotten better.

I think Winslow is more team oriented, and he's talented enough to fit well into the triangle without too much trouble.

The Ginobili comparison is interesting. I can almost see this, and Ginobili also has a rather awkward shot/release that still gets the job done.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
The case for Justice Winslow

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy