BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/30/2015  4:36 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:BRIGGS
May 28, 2015 at 12:56 pm

Sir please check back to when Pau Gasol was 19. He was 7-0 205. I hope you do the homework next time of checking similar players. Lets face it Porzingis is 19–thats 19 and he has an ectomorphic body type very similar to Pau at 19. There are two players that team will make mistakes on not drafting POrzinigis and Kaminsky. The one player who will be taken early is Stein and his 2 points and 5 rebounds as an upperclassmen in the finals showing. Porzingis has skills that Stein who is nearly 3 years older–only dreams of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZZETQoe-0U

But you were against us drafting Porzingis just a couple of weeks ago when i was still lobbying hard for him so what changed your mind on him?? I think i've asked you this a couple of times on here but you never seem to respond to the question. So what made you go from being against him to now being for him Briggs??

I think he wanted to see him put the ball on the floor and go to the basket. He has a couple of drives starting from the 3 that were pretty impressive- I think I posted the Twitter feed that had both of them, earlier.

Dunking over Taveras, a giant who is a good shot blocker, might have also turned Briggs around.

I think the two Euros- Porzingis and Hezonja are definitely the most intriguing guys in this draft, IMO. Not saying either will be eventually be a star, buy they are tantalizing to watch at times, and they are both so bloody young.

I think you pick KrisP for many of the same reason people listed for picking Towns. He has the potential to be a two-way starter in this league. He's dunking over seven foot-plus pros overseas. He's swishing threes. He's throwing his body around and getting steals. You can't right him off like Vesely because he has actually played in a superior league
. He's closer to Donatas Montiejunas and Mirotic in that respect. He's the best of both worlds. He displays some of the skills that Kaminsky has and flashes some of the defensive plusses of Stein. In a perfect world, I would grabbed up Okafor and Towns now. But, as any Knicks fan knows, the world ain't perfect. We gotta make do with the best available talent. If you look at things objectively, there's no doubt Poringis is the best available prospect.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
ramtour420
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
5/30/2015  5:37 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Sir please check back to when Pau Gasol was 19. He was 7-0 205. I hope you do the homework next time of checking similar players. Lets face it Porzingis is 19–thats 19 and he has an ectomorphic body type very similar to Pau at 19. There are two players that team will make mistakes on not drafting POrzinigis and Kaminsky. The one player who will be taken early is Stein and his 2 points and 5 rebounds as an upperclassmen in the finals showing. Porzingis has skills that Stein who is nearly 3 years older–only dreams of.

But you were against us drafting Porzingis just a couple of weeks ago when i was still lobbying hard for him so what changed your mind on him?? I think i've asked you this a couple of times on here but you never seem to respond to the question. So what made you go from being against him to now being for him Briggs??

I think he wanted to see him put the ball on the floor and go to the basket. He has a couple of drives starting from the 3 that were pretty impressive- I think I posted the Twitter feed that had both of them, earlier.

Dunking over Taveras, a giant who is a good shot blocker, might have also turned Briggs around.

I think the two Euros- Porzingis and Hezonja are definitely the most intriguing guys in this draft, IMO. Not saying either will be eventually be a star, buy they are tantalizing to watch at times, and they are both so bloody young.

I think you pick KrisP for many of the same reason people listed for picking Towns. He has the potential to be a two-way starter in this league. He's dunking over seven foot-plus pros overseas. He's swishing threes. He's throwing his body around and getting steals. You can't right him off like Vesely because he has actually played in a superior league
. He's closer to Donatas Montiejunas and Mirotic in that respect. He's the best of both worlds. He displays some of the skills that Kaminsky has and flashes some of the defensive plusses of Stein. In a perfect world, I would grabbed up Okafor and Towns now. But, as any Knicks fan knows, the world ain't perfect. We gotta make do with the best available talent. If you look at things objectively, there's no doubt Poringis is the best available prospect.

Yes that sums it up perfectly. Only problem is that he is a toothpick.

Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

5/30/2015  6:41 PM
ramtour420 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Yes that sums it up perfectly. Only problem is that he is a toothpick.

He'll get stronger as he matures, of course, but weight training and dieting to gain wait is much more advanced than it was years ago.

Not sure how much more you want on his frame- 15-20lbs?

Briggs had the video of Gasol, and I put up some photos of Jabbar and Garnett in this thread. Not saying he will fill out like these 3, but he is very young, still.

The other thing, and this goes for Kaminsky, too, or any 7'+ player- if you work on improving your center of gravity you can use your leverage to compensate for sheer weight and muscle. The other issue is toughness, tenacity, and simple pride- you go onto the floor knowing the game will be a struggle in the block and you don't give up.

Who knows if Porzingis will ultimately be able to deal with the stronger players in the NBA. From everything I've read and heard, he can, but the history of the NBA draft is littered with big players who did not pan out.

Have to trust Phil and his people. Hell...I'm not even sure the Knicks have even considered Porzingis. Maybe they want to keep quiet about their intentions, or maybe they've already looked at him and decided he is not worth the pick.

Only time will tell, but to me he has to be in the mix.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
WaltLongmire

6/1/2015  6:27 PM
Some more stories and and small video about Porzingis.

This one is pretty balanced article, IMO, and looks at a lot of things related to his success in the NBA. Also mentioned the Knicks at one point. Folks who are afraid of taking him will find some things to cling to.
https://grantland.com/the-triangle/who-is-kristaps-porzingis/

The video is about 5 minutes, and includes Givony and Schmidt from DX, Chad Ford, and Fran Fraschilla. Has some personal background- parents and brothers played the game. He speaks English fluently. His mother, or all people, talked about him moving up to a better league to improve himself. I think his brother was a pro in Europe, and he still works with him. His father seems old school, and in one part of the video his wife seems a little surprised when he's screaming during a game.

One piece of info, even on off days he tries to take 500 shots a day. He also talks about the things he is working on to improve.

Whether or not you like the Knicks taking him, it is a pretty good look at his background. Not much game footage, but they talk about him going to Las Vegas to work out in the first half of June.

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/who-is-kristaps-porzingis-episode-1-playing-in-seville/

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
FistOfOakley
Member: #3075

6/1/2015  6:32 PM
he needs to learn how to dribble, pass and grab a rebound... everyone in europe wants to be like dirk... he's no dirk...
BigDaddyG

6/1/2015  7:26 PM
FistOfOakley wrote:he needs to learn how to dribble, pass and grab a rebound... everyone in europe wants to be like dirk... he's no dirk...

Dirk is HOFer. There may never be another Dirk. This kid has the potential to be something else. The way he plays the PnR on D, jumps passing lanes and blocks shots.There are bugs who can help spread the floor with their shots and there are guys who can help stabilize their teams with defensive flexibility. This kid has the potential to be both.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/1/2015  7:48 PM
A few points.

1. I think they are right about him playing in the US. He would likely be a 15-20 point 7-9 rebound 3 block CBB played depending on where he went and a lock to go top 3. Hes easily a 5 in CBB and his comparisons wouldve been a Massachusetts Marcus Camby with more size and range. Camby went #2.

2. You like that his entire life is basketball. I mean watching this he IS DRAGO of basketball right?

3. When you watch some of his movements--he just seems unique. Like if he can put on 20 pounds and hone it out he could be a special player.

I do think right now he is a tweener. His best position is gaining 20 pounds and becoming a true 5-4. Moving inside and using the 3 as an augmentation to his overall game. He really needs to learn post footwork--I think hes got the touch down already.

If you have the balls and have a reasonable range of patience you could have an athletic 7-2ish 240-245 pound C for the next 10 + years.
I do not think his downside is bust at all. I think his downside is a 10-12 4-5 rebound 1.5 block player. Upside is high.

RIP Crushalot😞
WaltLongmire

6/1/2015  7:57 PM
I was impressed by his basketball pedigree, and I think the guy is aware of what he needs to do to improve.
Needs at least 20lbs added to his frame.

We all know that if he had played over here and put in 30+MPG guys would be talking a bit different about him, but he played in a top Euro league, not the CBA.

I'd be foolish to say that he, or any kid in the draft, is a guaranteed star, but it would seem that he's done everything right so far and can already do some things that are pretty intriguing for his size and age.

I only hope he does the kind of workouts that might pit him against someone in some actual competition, but I know that a lot of the top people have agents who don't allow them to do that kind of thing, which sucks, to be honest.

Remember this, though, Porzingis is probably the wildcard outsider in this draft who might be picked by a top 3 team. He is the guy who someone ahead of us might fall in love with. Lakers have been linked to him, and as I've mentioned in this thread, he has been scouted overseas by Minny and Philly. He is the best chance some of you have of getting a player you never thought would fall to us at #4.

If Porzingis goes 2, we will get the leftover of Mudiay/Russell, or OK4- probably OK4

If the Lakers take a PG, and Porzingis goes 3, we get the leftover of Mudiay/Russell, or OK4

If Minny has the balls to take him at #1, we most likely get whichever of these guys- OK4, Russell, or Mudiay, who is not taken by Philly at 3.

Food for thought.

FistOfOakley
Member: #3075

6/1/2015  8:04 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
FistOfOakley wrote:he needs to learn how to dribble, pass and grab a rebound... everyone in europe wants to be like dirk... he's no dirk...

Dirk is HOFer. There may never be another Dirk. This kid has the potential to be something else. The way he plays the PnR on D, jumps passing lanes and blocks shots.There are bugs who can help spread the floor with their shots and there are guys who can help stabilize their teams with defensive flexibility. This kid has the potential to be both.

that is what i'm saying... he's patterned his entire game after him.. which is spot up and couple dribble jumpshots... he's very questionable dribbling the basketball which makes him just not possible to play the 3.... and he doesn't pass.. AT ALL... the rebounding is pretty bad for a guy who NEEDS to play PF...

he's 20.. he's not 19 so you have to judge him on the same scale as some college sophs... and if you judge him in that light it's a bit scary on the skills that he needs but just not good at right now...

WaltLongmire

6/1/2015  9:43 PM
FistOfOakley wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

that is what i'm saying... he's patterned his entire game after him.. which is spot up and couple dribble jumpshots... he's very questionable dribbling the basketball which makes him just not possible to play the 3.... and he doesn't pass.. AT ALL... the rebounding is pretty bad for a guy who NEEDS to play PF...

he's 20.. he's not 19 so you have to judge him on the same scale as some college sophs... and if you judge him in that light it's a bit scary on the skills that he needs but just not good at right now...

Actually, he is still 19.

And the competition he's faced is, for the most part, better than what he would have faced in college.

For what it is worth, I also read that the guy he really liked growing up was Garnett.

Dirk, Garnett...at least he wasn't trying to pattern his offensive game after Jared Jeffries.

blkexec
Member: #748
6/4/2015  7:03 PM
I'm sorry...but after I realized we were picking 4th.....this was the first guy I thought about. Since we lost out on Towns and Ok4.....This guy had the best chance at being a star in the NBA. Then I got sucked into the Winslow pick.....And finally the WCS pick. Well, I thought if I can read up on this guy again, and he makes me forget about Winslow and WCS, then I would forget about picking him at 4.....But I can't. He has too much star potential to pass up, which is why Orlando will grab him up quick, after we select WCS.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2482016-the-case-for-kristaps-porzingis-as-a-top-5-pick-in-the-2015-nba-draft

Once you get beyond Karl-Anthony Towns and Jahlil Okafor, Porzingis compares favorably to any other talented prospect in this class. Several of the top-five lottery teams should highly consider snagging him.

At No. 5, the Orlando Magic would love the shooting and rim protection he offers. At No. 4, the Knicks are in need of talent all over the place, and he may be the top performer left on the board. And the Philadelphia 76ers at No. 3 have made several visits abroad to watch him play. Derek Bodner of Liberty Ballers reports that general manager Sam Hinkie is a "big fan."

No one's crowning him as the next Nowitzki or franchise-transforming superstar. His suitors should realize the risk involved in choosing him.

But Porzingis is on track to be anything but a bust. He'll be used in a variety of ways, and he projects to be one of the most dangerous Europeans to grace the NBA hardwood in the past decade.

The reward is just too rich to pass up.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
BigDaddyG

6/4/2015  7:51 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
FistOfOakley wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Actually, he is still 19.

And the competition he's faced is, for the most part, better than what he would have faced in college.

For what it is worth, I also read that the guy he really liked growing up was Garnett.

Dirk, Garnett...at least he wasn't trying to pattern his offensive game after Jared Jeffries.

I agree. We're at a point in the draft where everyone we target is going to a few years to develop. We should be considering taking the guy with the most potential. Let's be honest. As talented as Mudiay is, there's no guarantee he will be a top 10 PG in the league. That's how talented the position is and the talent pipeline is strong. Winslow is good, but wing players are dicey. He could be Jimmy Butler or he could Jimmy Jackson. Nothing wrong with either played. But I think we should swing for the fences. The pressure is of us. We don't need to go safe with the pick like we did with Sweetney. WCS is a solid guy and maybe he becomes an All Star. But why settle for that. Porzingis has a chance to be a superstar.
WaltLongmire

6/4/2015  8:08 PM
blkexec wrote:I'm sorry...but after I realized we were picking 4th.....this was the first guy I thought about. Since we lost out on Towns and Ok4.....This guy had the best chance at being a star in the NBA. Then I got sucked into the Winslow pick.....And finally the WCS pick. Well, I thought if I can read up on this guy again, and he makes me forget about Winslow and WCS, then I would forget about picking him at 4.....But I can't. He has too much star potential to pass up, which is why Orlando will grab him up quick, after we select WCS.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2482016-the-case-for-kristaps-porzingis-as-a-top-5-pick-in-the-2015-nba-draft

Once you get beyond Karl-Anthony Towns and Jahlil Okafor, Porzingis compares favorably to any other talented prospect in this class. Several of the top-five lottery teams should highly consider snagging him.

At No. 5, the Orlando Magic would love the shooting and rim protection he offers. At No. 4, the Knicks are in need of talent all over the place, and he may be the top performer left on the board. And the Philadelphia 76ers at No. 3 have made several visits abroad to watch him play. Derek Bodner of Liberty Ballers reports that general manager Sam Hinkie is a "big fan."

No one's crowning him as the next Nowitzki or franchise-transforming superstar. His suitors should realize the risk involved in choosing him.

But Porzingis is on track to be anything but a bust. He'll be used in a variety of ways, and he projects to be one of the most dangerous Europeans to grace the NBA hardwood in the past decade.

He works out in Las Vegas in about a week. Should be the same type of video we saw with a lot of the players so far. His dad and older brother both played, so he has a pedigree.

He actually worked out in Brooklyn the other day, under a bridge. Saw a picture of it, but there is no video.

I've been putting out the idea that if he impresses, he might sneak into the top 3, and we would benefit. Besides Hinkie, Saunders has been talking about him. If you are building long-term, he would be an interesting choice. Hinkie already has a guy names Saric in Europe, and he may be over here soon, so he may not be as interested, now. They seem a little similar in some ways, but Saric is shorter and he is said to be a better passer, which is a weakness with Porzingis.

If Anthony was not on the team, and we had our pick for next year, this would be the guy to take because he has already shown ability in what may allegedly be the second best league in the world, he may be the tallest guy in the draft, and he's still only 19.

Don't want to say anything else, I'm afraid that the Steinboys might be listening. They've become a kind of cult on UK. You might be in grave danger for even posting on this thread.

I think there are many good picks to be had at 4, though. We should do OK. I would be happy with Winslow and Mudiay if Phil is OK with them, Porzingis, who I'm rooting for, and Kaminsky, who has been completely forgotten after beating the Towns and Stein head to head.

Russell or OK4 drop to 4 for some reason, then we are really happy.

blkexec
6/4/2015  10:23 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
blkexec wrote:I'm sorry...but after I realized we were picking 4th.....this was the first guy I thought about. Since we lost out on Towns and Ok4.....This guy had the best chance at being a star in the NBA. Then I got sucked into the Winslow pick.....And finally the WCS pick. Well, I thought if I can read up on this guy again, and he makes me forget about Winslow and WCS, then I would forget about picking him at 4.....But I can't. He has too much star potential to pass up, which is why Orlando will grab him up quick, after we select WCS.

He works out in Las Vegas in about a week. Should be the same type of video we saw with a lot of the players so far. His dad and older brother both played, so he has a pedigree.

He actually worked out in Brooklyn the other day, under a bridge. Saw a picture of it, but there is no video.

I've been putting out the idea that if he impresses, he might sneak into the top 3, and we would benefit. Besides Hinkie, Saunders has been talking about him. If you are building long-term, he would be an interesting choice. Hinkie already has a guy names Saric in Europe, and he may be over here soon, so he may not be as interested, now. They seem a little similar in some ways, but Saric is shorter and he is said to be a better passer, which is a weakness with Porzingis.

If Anthony was not on the team, and we had our pick for next year, this would be the guy to take because he has already shown ability in what may allegedly be the second best league in the world, he may be the tallest guy in the draft, and he's still only 19.

Don't want to say anything else, I'm afraid that the Steinboys might be listening. They've become a kind of cult on UK. You might be in grave danger for even posting on this thread.

I think there are many good picks to be had at 4, though. We should do OK. I would be happy with Winslow and Mudiay if Phil is OK with them, Porzingis, who I'm rooting for, and Kaminsky, who has been completely forgotten after beating the Towns and Stein head to head.

Well, I might fit the profile of the Stein-men (too old to be a boy).....But I'm a realist. And you don't use the top of the draft to fill a need. This isn't the NFL where we have 7 rounds. So the top pick should be superstar potential. Stein, Mudiay, Winslow all have star potential. This kid has super star potential. I don't care if he's from Mars.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
blkexec
6/4/2015  10:54 PM
http://www.nj.com/knicks/index.ssf/2015/06/nba_draft_2015_kristaps_porzingis_hopes_knicks_pic.html

"There are reasons to get excited about Porzingis's potential, and they start with his shooting ability. He has a gorgeous, fluid, quick motion, and is adept at coming off a screen or shooting off-balance or off the dribble. He's developed a pretty sweet bank shot from working out with Audie Norris, Sevilla's assistant coach and a onetime Trail Blazer. There aren't many 7-footers anywhere who can operate functionally like a shooting wing, getting open looks on flare screens and pin-downs. It's Porzingis's most bankable skill, the one that seems most likely to translate immediately in the NBA. ... He's like a young Robin trying on Batman's utility belt — the tools are there, and they're incredible. They just don't fit yet, and you can't be too sure that they ever will."

WaltLongmire

6/5/2015  12:44 PM
blkexec wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

Well, I might fit the profile of the Stein-men (too old to be a boy).....But I'm a realist. And you don't use the top of the draft to fill a need. This isn't the NFL where we have 7 rounds. So the top pick should be superstar potential. Stein, Mudiay, Winslow all have star potential. This kid has super star potential. I don't care if he's from Mars.

Phil would really have to be blown away his workouts to take Porzingis.

I wish we were in a true rebuild mode, and Jackson has supposedly said that he is not just trying to win now, but at this time our center piece player will never be the player he was even a few years ago, and in Jackson we have a guy who will be gone in a few years.

I wish he had a younger protege working for him, a guy who could do the traveling Phil can't, or doesn't want to, do. A guy who would be next in line to take over. Mills is obviously not that guy.

As I have said many times, Porzingus looking great might help us in other ways if an earlier team takes a gamble on him.

There is a lot of decent talent 1-10 in this draft.

Funny thing is that I actually believe Kaminsky might just be the best player if you are really in a win now mode, although I don't think he would be a good fit if we sign Monroe. He can do a lot of things with a high level of skill-outside shot, post-up game, pass, rebound, defend adequately, and unlike some, he has showed all of this in competition.

Knicks have been linked to a number of players, but not as much to Kaminsky and Porzingis. Might be strategic posturing for a trade down...who knows.

I'll be a fan of the guy we get, of course, but it is always hard to draft a player who is OK and then have to look at the great careers of the guys you did not take.

ramtour420
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
6/12/2015  4:59 PM
I am bumping this from page 5 after watching his workout video. If this kid is there at the 4 spot I want nothing to do with trading down and it would be a coup. I knew picking 4 would be a blessing in disguise. That's a franchise All- star right there. wOw
Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
WaltLongmire

6/12/2015  5:56 PM
ramtour420 wrote:I am bumping this from page 5 after watching his workout video. If this kid is there at the 4 spot I want nothing to do with trading down and it would be a coup. I knew picking 4 would be a blessing in disguise. That's a franchise All- star right there. wOw

My worst fear was that he would appear to be a large version of Gollum, from the LOTR, gangly and gawky.

Scary how smooth he was.

Not worried about his defensive quickness after seeing him glide around.

He is still only 19, has a lot of maturing to go.

For the umpteenth time, since some don't think about this- Both parents played the game, and his brother, who helps him a lot, was a professional player at some point, although not a big success like his little brother. You can look at him in the workout and in other highlight videos and realize he was taught pretty well.

I still don't think we are getting him because he will be taken earlier.

The people ahead of us know his game already, they saw him last year, and that means they know how he's improved by staying an extra year in Europe.

He's worthy being picked 2nd or 3rd...hope he isn't, but I'm expecting another Curry draft for us.

The Consolation prize will be OK4, if Porzingis is gone, or maybe even Russell (doubt it), so we get a good player no matter what.

jbeachboy
Member: #6050

6/12/2015  6:48 PM
are knicks willing to wait for a guy from europe to adjust to the game and to build up his strength?
WaltLongmire

6/12/2015  6:56 PM

Either Phil is doing something to Jeanie Buss with his left hand, or she's laughing about a trade between the Knicks and Lakers that he just asked her about.

The Case for Porzingis.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy