[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Case for Porzingis.
Author Thread
Sangfroid
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #2784

6/13/2015  4:39 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:As I start to write this, Fran Fraschilla is saying that he believes the Knicks should choose between Mudiay and Porzingis. He just said that he would take Porzingis over Mudiay. He likes Winslow, but sees some limitations, and does not put him up with Mudiay and Porzingis.

He compared his D to that of Kirilenko, and then threw out the Dirk comparison.

Earlier in the day, Jay Bilas also mentioned Porzingis.

He is clearly being looked at by a lot of folks, and Fraschilla said some even say that at some point he might be one of the top 2 players to come from this draft.

Watched more of the videos on him, today, and took more time to look at them because we might be looking at him seriously..

This one is from July of 2014- it is a general analysis of his ability:

This is from December 2014 vs Barcelona, where DraftExpress breaks down what he did in the game.

I'm sure there are other videos to look at, but I have not searched for them yet.

Edit_ here is an analysis from February 2014.

Another one to music- don't like the fanboy video's, but it shows some good stuff

He has a lot of upside, but is already a very polished player who played at a high level in a strong league over in Europe.

He can shoot from the outside, has a midrange game, shows some moves in the post, and he can run. He also looks like he has the lateral movement and length to be a fine defender, and for a guy with his length, he has a decent center of gravity. The videos show him boxing out for rebounds, too.

Still has some things to work on besides his body, and I wish he was a better passer, but he is already a good player, and for now, his length should mitigate the problems cause by his lack of bulk.

Folks would be foolish to discount this guy. Briggs has talked about him during the year, but he seems to be highly regarded by guys who look at college players for a living.

There would be an uproar by some if we took him- and expect to get ripped by some, since many are prejudiced toward Euros, but if he comes in with a little more bulk, and shows the things he's shown in Europe, I think the Knicks will give him a more than serious look.

This is my guy that i've been talking about for a while now, but even with how much of a fan i am of him and wouldn't mind Phil drafting him at 4, i am a little on the edge about him cause he's gonna take some time to put some weight on and to adjust to the NBA. Now of course nobody knows if it will take the kid 1 year to be ready or 3 years to be ready but when he's ready he'll be a hell of a player in the NBA and i'd love to see him on the Knicks.

This is where you put on your big boy pants and make a choice that will change our fortunes for the better. Roll the dice on Porzingis.

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
AUTOADVERT
jbeachboy
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6050

6/14/2015  4:55 PM
this guy struggles with fundamentals of basketball, i was watching his weaknesses, he is a major project
blkexec
Member: #748
6/25/2015  11:04 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Also drafting Porzingis would give us a shotblocking 4 if we got Monroe and would make us go from one of the smallest teams--to one of the biggets teams.

Lets say he does not start this year--but well put him in anyway.

IF we get Monroe??

C-Monroe 6-11

PF Porzingis 7-2

F Antony 6-8

G Free agent or Galloway? SG Grant

G Shveyd?

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/25/2015  11:18 PM
I wanted a more NBA ready player but Kris has great talent and you can see that he does. It's not like he's some scrub. The only serious issue is his strength. If he can be helped to realize his potential and grow up in this system I think we could be in for a big surprise. Gotta trust Phil and the scouts on this one. I wanted WCS but there's no doubt that Kris has a higher upside.

He's probably going to be in the mold of a Dirk in terms of being more of a perimeter to midrange guy as opposed to low post banger. At least early on in his career.

BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
6/25/2015  11:25 PM
Ben Golliver: Knicks president Phil Jackson: “We could not pass on Kristaps. He has eye-opening talent and is ready for the challenge to play in NYC.”
Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
6/25/2015  11:26 PM
BigRedDog wrote:Ben Golliver: Knicks president Phil Jackson: “We could not pass on Kristaps. He has eye-opening talent and is ready for the challenge to play in NYC.”

what else could a fan want to hear? none of us know anything abuot kristaps, but i trust the scouts do. im all in on porzingis.

"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/25/2015  11:44 PM
blkexec wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:Also drafting Porzingis would give us a shotblocking 4 if we got Monroe and would make us go from one of the smallest teams--to one of the biggets teams.

Lets say he does not start this year--but well put him in anyway.

IF we get Monroe??

C-Monroe 6-11

PF Porzingis 7-2

F Antony 6-8

G Free agent or Galloway? SG Grant

G Shveyd?

Grant is a lead guard...Galloway would be your "SG" although I know the triangle doesn't use this terminology. Galloway is better off as a SG, which is what he was in college.

Gives us too tough kids about the same age who should do a good job with the passing lanes.

Wonder if Phil keeps Shved at this point?

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
mreinman
Member: #3189

11/16/2015  3:53 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Ill say this again about Porzinigs

I don't like his ectomorphic body type. I think in combination of being a run/jump athlete with his unusually long and brittle looking limbs--he looks primed to be an athlete who will deal with injury problems.(In Major League baseball scouts tend to keep away from pitchers with normal height and slight builds in fear of them hurting themselves--apologies to Ron Guidry) So you're a team who is willing to take a pick that will result in a player who you KNOW doubt will have to A. Wait on for 2-3 years and B. Take a player who is a walking injury risk

Im sorry to Fran Fischilla or anyone else out there who likes Porzinighis. On first look you are somewhat taken by his incredible combination of length and athleticism--its a rare bird and he can shoot. BUT he will shy away from NBA contact for the foreseeable future--he doesnt have the nuances of the game down like a Kaminsky--and he could probably give Kaminsky a helluva 1-1 battle--but basketball is 5-5 and its physical and whether right or wrong--I say steer clear of this guy too many what if's. He cannot handle the ball he has a tweener awkwardness--he's an opportunistic secondary player in Europe. No fans will get this pick and it has ridicule written all over it. Steer clear.

lets call it as we saw it ... we can flip flop a thousand times but what happened to watching a guy for 10 minutes and just knowing what you are looking at?

so here is what phil is thinking ....
smackeddog
Member: #883
11/16/2015  4:19 PM
I did very much enjoy these 'case for ' threads- in fact I would say they were some of the best collective works these boards have produced in a while. Made the run up to the draft more enjoyable and informative- good work everyone!
ramtour420
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
11/16/2015  4:51 PM
+1 Yes, thank you guys for the great pre draft times. Now that we made the pick I thought we would make and it's a good one ! What's the word I am lookin for here. . . For hte win !
Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
WaltLongmire

11/16/2015  6:25 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/16/2015  6:28 PM
smackeddog wrote:I did very much enjoy these 'case for ' threads- in fact I would say they were some of the best collective works these boards have produced in a while. Made the run up to the draft more enjoyable and informative- good work everyone!

ramtour420 wrote:+1 Yes, thank you guys for the great pre draft times. Now that we made the pick I thought we would make and it's a good one ! What's the word I am lookin for here. . . For hte win !

So it would seem that someone should have done a "The Case for 'The Case For
Threads' Thread." Forgot who did the first one, but they led to a hell of a lot of arguing.

Unfortunately, any "The Case For" threads for next year will be argued over with much less gusto...at least at this point.

It really makes a difference if we have a pick, and the higher the pick, the more guys we have to look at. I know I was more interested when we had the #6, #8, and our recent #4... less so during the our two previous drafts before this one.

Also think it is more interesting if there is a real controversy over who the team might take. I think that once we got the #4 slot, most of us thought the odds were good that Towns, OK4, and Russell would be off the board, so we had a pretty good idea about who we'd have to choose from. Gave folks a lot of time to look at info on the prospects and compare them.

Jackson made it much more interesting for this draft, though...he did a great job of hiding his interests. The secret Russell workout after he had supposedly blown off his Philly workout, overseas scouting of KP that we were never told about (Saw that a UK member posted a tweet about Gaines and Mills going to Europe for a scouting trip in May, I think- but no specific names were mentioned), media reports that had us potentially targeting Mudiay, Winslow, Stein, Hezonja, or trading down to take Kaminslky, and, the gods forbid, Trey Lyles.

As much as I wanted us to take KP, I truly had no idea of who we were going to take when our card was read...have to admit I was very surprised when Phil took the Latvian because I knew how much criticism he was going to take for picking him.

Next year will be a pretty boring draft from my perspective, and much fun as these Lottery Pick drafts are if you are in them, I hope that we don't have a lottery pick for a very long time.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
11/16/2015  7:28 PM
This was a very interesting thread. I'm just glad that I was wrong about KP being able to get strong enough and able to contribute early on. I didn't really have a problem with his talent, but was more concerned with the risk of a kid that might not be ready. People in the media and some fans really dissed Phil and his dedication to his job. SAS is still talking crap about Phil, tho now he's walking it back and trying to take a more reasonable position (snake). I was telling people Phil and his staff had real talent evaluation skills and we can see now that it was true. KP was the right pick and Phil's top man was 110% sold on KP and made his case so strongly that Phil had to take it seriously. Phil i'm sure really got into KP's head and liked what he saw.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
11/17/2015  12:08 AM
I've never been happier to be so wrong.
¿ △ ?
blkexec
Member: #748
11/17/2015  2:38 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/17/2015  2:39 AM
blkexec wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
blkexec wrote:I'm sorry...but after I realized we were picking 4th.....this was the first guy I thought about. Since we lost out on Towns and Ok4.....This guy had the best chance at being a star in the NBA. Then I got sucked into the Winslow pick.....And finally the WCS pick. Well, I thought if I can read up on this guy again, and he makes me forget about Winslow and WCS, then I would forget about picking him at 4.....But I can't. He has too much star potential to pass up, which is why Orlando will grab him up quick, after we select WCS.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2482016-the-case-for-kristaps-porzingis-as-a-top-5-pick-in-the-2015-nba-draft

Once you get beyond Karl-Anthony Towns and Jahlil Okafor, Porzingis compares favorably to any other talented prospect in this class. Several of the top-five lottery teams should highly consider snagging him.

At No. 5, the Orlando Magic would love the shooting and rim protection he offers. At No. 4, the Knicks are in need of talent all over the place, and he may be the top performer left on the board. And the Philadelphia 76ers at No. 3 have made several visits abroad to watch him play. Derek Bodner of Liberty Ballers reports that general manager Sam Hinkie is a "big fan."

No one's crowning him as the next Nowitzki or franchise-transforming superstar. His suitors should realize the risk involved in choosing him.

But Porzingis is on track to be anything but a bust. He'll be used in a variety of ways, and he projects to be one of the most dangerous Europeans to grace the NBA hardwood in the past decade.

The reward is just too rich to pass up.

He works out in Las Vegas in about a week. Should be the same type of video we saw with a lot of the players so far. His dad and older brother both played, so he has a pedigree.

He actually worked out in Brooklyn the other day, under a bridge. Saw a picture of it, but there is no video.

I've been putting out the idea that if he impresses, he might sneak into the top 3, and we would benefit. Besides Hinkie, Saunders has been talking about him. If you are building long-term, he would be an interesting choice. Hinkie already has a guy names Saric in Europe, and he may be over here soon, so he may not be as interested, now. They seem a little similar in some ways, but Saric is shorter and he is said to be a better passer, which is a weakness with Porzingis.

If Anthony was not on the team, and we had our pick for next year, this would be the guy to take because he has already shown ability in what may allegedly be the second best league in the world, he may be the tallest guy in the draft, and he's still only 19.

Don't want to say anything else, I'm afraid that the Steinboys might be listening. They've become a kind of cult on UK. You might be in grave danger for even posting on this thread.

I think there are many good picks to be had at 4, though. We should do OK. I would be happy with Winslow and Mudiay if Phil is OK with them, Porzingis, who I'm rooting for, and Kaminsky, who has been completely forgotten after beating the Towns and Stein head to head.

Russell or OK4 drop to 4 for some reason, then we are really happy.

Well, I might fit the profile of the Stein-men (too old to be a boy).....But I'm a realist. And you don't use the top of the draft to fill a need. This isn't the NFL where we have 7 rounds. So the top pick should be superstar potential. Stein, Mudiay, Winslow all have star potential. This kid has super star potential. I don't care if he's from Mars.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/17/2015  6:37 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:Finally coming to the U.S. Included some follow-up Tweets.

Wonder if he is doing individual workouts?

Any trade down possibilities? Can't see Minny not taking Towns. Wonder why the other Tweeter mentioned our pick?

Here's the story on this. Before the lotto balls there was a report from this same guy that Flip really liked Porzinigs. I guess this same guy broke stories via Flip in the past before they happened. Ther was a whole article written why Flip should NOT take Porzingis and its on the net. Apparently Flip DOES think Porzingis is KG like

It wont matter they are taking Okafor and its set it stone.

OK4 and not Towns?! Any sources on this rumor?

Would change a lot of things if Minny took a gamble on Porzingis.

Yeah a source would be great.

The sad part of this thread is seeing Flip Saunders who might have felt at the top of his game there with pick #1 and an exciting rebuilding team and he was likely dying inside in that picture and had no idea. Just horrible.

RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
11/17/2015  8:45 AM
mreinman wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:Ill say this again about Porzinigs

I don't like his ectomorphic body type. I think in combination of being a run/jump athlete with his unusually long and brittle looking limbs--he looks primed to be an athlete who will deal with injury problems.(In Major League baseball scouts tend to keep away from pitchers with normal height and slight builds in fear of them hurting themselves--apologies to Ron Guidry) So you're a team who is willing to take a pick that will result in a player who you KNOW doubt will have to A. Wait on for 2-3 years and B. Take a player who is a walking injury risk

Im sorry to Fran Fischilla or anyone else out there who likes Porzinighis. On first look you are somewhat taken by his incredible combination of length and athleticism--its a rare bird and he can shoot. BUT he will shy away from NBA contact for the foreseeable future--he doesnt have the nuances of the game down like a Kaminsky--and he could probably give Kaminsky a helluva 1-1 battle--but basketball is 5-5 and its physical and whether right or wrong--I say steer clear of this guy too many what if's. He cannot handle the ball he has a tweener awkwardness--he's an opportunistic secondary player in Europe. No fans will get this pick and it has ridicule written all over it. Steer clear.

lets call it as we saw it ... we can flip flop a thousand times but what happened to watching a guy for 10 minutes and just knowing what you are looking at?

why do you have such an anti-Briggs obsession that your bringing up old threads? And to be fair what you quoted is very far away from Brigg's thoughts on this player...
BRIGGS wrote:A few points.

1. I think they are right about him playing in the US. He would likely be a 15-20 point 7-9 rebound 3 block CBB played depending on where he went and a lock to go top 3. Hes easily a 5 in CBB and his comparisons wouldve been a Massachusetts Marcus Camby with more size and range. Camby went #2.

2. You like that his entire life is basketball. I mean watching this he IS DRAGO of basketball right?

3. When you watch some of his movements--he just seems unique. Like if he can put on 20 pounds and hone it out he could be a special player.

I do think right now he is a tweener. His best position is gaining 20 pounds and becoming a true 5-4. Moving inside and using the 3 as an augmentation to his overall game. He really needs to learn post footwork--I think hes got the touch down already.

If you have the balls and have a reasonable range of patience you could have an athletic 7-2ish 240-245 pound C for the next 10 + years.
I do not think his downside is bust at all. I think his downside is a 10-12 4-5 rebound 1.5 block player. Upside is high.

I mean if you want to be "fair" about calling it like you see it I just read everything Briggs wrote and his analysis was pretty solid. The body type is red flag but the skills and length are undeniable. Also he gave KP props over Gasol who was similar at the same age only KP was better.

sigh... UK

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
mreinman
Member: #3189

11/17/2015  9:51 AM
crzymdups wrote:I've never been happier to be so wrong.

Dude! You almost committed suicide

so here is what phil is thinking ....
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
11/17/2015  11:16 AM
mreinman wrote:
crzymdups wrote:I've never been happier to be so wrong.

Dude! You almost committed suicide

I remember all too well.

¿ △ ?
WaltLongmire

11/17/2015  1:26 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:Finally coming to the U.S. Included some follow-up Tweets.

Wonder if he is doing individual workouts?

Any trade down possibilities? Can't see Minny not taking Towns. Wonder why the other Tweeter mentioned our pick?

Here's the story on this. Before the lotto balls there was a report from this same guy that Flip really liked Porzinigs. I guess this same guy broke stories via Flip in the past before they happened. Ther was a whole article written why Flip should NOT take Porzingis and its on the net. Apparently Flip DOES think Porzingis is KG like

It wont matter they are taking Okafor and its set it stone.

OK4 and not Towns?! Any sources on this rumor?

Would change a lot of things if Minny took a gamble on Porzingis.

Yeah a source would be great.

The sad part of this thread is seeing Flip Saunders who might have felt at the top of his game there with pick #1 and an exciting rebuilding team and he was likely dying inside in that picture and had no idea. Just horrible.

Still active and doing his job...with the added bonus of going to Spain in the springtime.

Did not even remember that I had posted those tweets.

Very sad...deserved to see his youth movement play itself out.

The Case for Porzingis.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy