[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Case for Porzingis.
Author Thread
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
6/12/2015  7:02 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/12/2015  7:03 PM
jbeachboy wrote:are knicks willing to wait for a guy from europe to adjust to the game and to build up his strength?

That's the million dollar question. Phil has said he wants to do what is best for the team, and personally, as a Knicks season ticketholder, I'm more than willing to wait for what's best for the franchise and still pay money to watch this team while a guy like Porzingis develops.

However, I do have my doubts....most fans and most New Yorkers in general, are not patient. I wonder if Phil really would take a player that might not make a splash in year one after all that has gone wrong in the past year.

Will say this though, in the town hall meeting from a few months ago, Mills said several times how refreshing it was for the front office to truly think long term about what was best for the franchise and not just care about winning the headlines/media. We'll see soon enough hoW true that is...

You could make a case for a few different players right now and even someone like Mudiay, would signal that the team is wiling to take the time to develop a player.

"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/12/2015  7:28 PM
s3231 wrote:
jbeachboy wrote:are knicks willing to wait for a guy from europe to adjust to the game and to build up his strength?

That's the million dollar question. Phil has said he wants to do what is best for the team, and personally, as a Knicks season ticketholder, I'm more than willing to wait for what's best for the franchise and still pay money to watch this team while a guy like Porzingis develops.

However, I do have my doubts....most fans and most New Yorkers in general, are not patient. I wonder if Phil really would take a player that might not make a splash in year one after all that has gone wrong in the past year.

Will say this though, in the town hall meeting from a few months ago, Mills said several times how refreshing it was for the front office to truly think long term about what was best for the franchise and not just care about winning the headlines/media. We'll see soon enough hoW true that is...

You could make a case for a few different players right now and even someone like Mudiay, would signal that the team is wiling to take the time to develop a player.

He can play right now no doubt about that

RIP Crushalot😞
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

6/12/2015  8:04 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:The Consolation prize will be OK4, if Porzingis is gone, or maybe even Russell (doubt it), so we get a good GREAT player no matter what.

Fixed.

WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

6/12/2015  8:21 PM
Moonangie wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:The Consolation prize will be OK4, if Porzingis is gone, or maybe even Russell (doubt it), so we get a good GREAT player no matter what.

Fixed.

I'm actually convinced that we can't lose at #4.

If you get OK4 you might also get a player who is driven the rest of his life to prove that certain teams were wrong about him.

If you get Russell you get one of the most exciting players in the draft- best shooter and arguably the best passer.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
WaltLongmire

6/12/2015  8:36 PM
From a scout at the practice, today:
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/12/scout-calls-kristaps-porzingis-best-player-in-the-draft-hes-better-than-karl-towns/
Scout calls Kristaps Porzingis best player in the draft: ‘He’s better than Karl Towns’

Seemingly every NBA Draft has its international man of mystery, a skilled foreign-born player who intrigues scouts and team executives more and more as that fateful date approaches.

This year, that man is Kristaps Porzingis, an agile seven-footer with a smooth shooting stroke.

Porzingis participated in a group workout at Impact Basketball in Las Vegas on Friday, an event that was well-attended by plenty of front office decision-makers. And he drew nothing but rave reviews.

From Keith Pompey of the Philadelphia Inquirer:

Porzingis was VERY impressive in workout. A scout called him the best player in the draft “He’s better than Karl Towns,” said the scout.

Some league executives think Porzingis could become the best player in this draft. However, they believe KAT is the safe pick at No. 1 …

While Porzingis has solid offensive skills for a 7-1 PF, there’s a sense that Russell is still the better option for the Sixers.

Philadelphia is loaded with talented frontcourt players in Nerlens Noel and Joel Embiid, so Porzingis, for them, would almost certainly be a duplication.

The Sixers need guard play to compliment those interior players, so D’Angelo Russell and Emmanuel Mudiay appear to be more realistic options.

But Porzingis impressed. It’s unlikely the Timberwolves or the Lakers go there with one of the first two overall picks, but Phil Jackson attended this workout, and if he feels as strongly as some others, the Knicks just might.

One interesting thing os that Philly seems to be trying to buy out Saric's Turkish contract. He was drafted 12th last year. Interesting 6'10" SF all around player, who seems to be coming on the tournaments. Someone said that if they can get him over to the U.S. next year Philly will be choosing a guard.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/12/2015  8:40 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:From a scout at the practice, today:
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/12/scout-calls-kristaps-porzingis-best-player-in-the-draft-hes-better-than-karl-towns/
Scout calls Kristaps Porzingis best player in the draft: ‘He’s better than Karl Towns’

Seemingly every NBA Draft has its international man of mystery, a skilled foreign-born player who intrigues scouts and team executives more and more as that fateful date approaches.

This year, that man is Kristaps Porzingis, an agile seven-footer with a smooth shooting stroke.

Porzingis participated in a group workout at Impact Basketball in Las Vegas on Friday, an event that was well-attended by plenty of front office decision-makers. And he drew nothing but rave reviews.

From Keith Pompey of the Philadelphia Inquirer:

Porzingis was VERY impressive in workout. A scout called him the best player in the draft “He’s better than Karl Towns,” said the scout.

Some league executives think Porzingis could become the best player in this draft. However, they believe KAT is the safe pick at No. 1 …

While Porzingis has solid offensive skills for a 7-1 PF, there’s a sense that Russell is still the better option for the Sixers.

Philadelphia is loaded with talented frontcourt players in Nerlens Noel and Joel Embiid, so Porzingis, for them, would almost certainly be a duplication.

The Sixers need guard play to compliment those interior players, so D’Angelo Russell and Emmanuel Mudiay appear to be more realistic options.

But Porzingis impressed. It’s unlikely the Timberwolves or the Lakers go there with one of the first two overall picks, but Phil Jackson attended this workout, and if he feels as strongly as some others, the Knicks just might.

One interesting thing os that Philly seems to be trying to buy out Saric's Turkish contract. He was drafted 12th last year. Interesting 6'10" SF all around player, who seems to be coming on the tournaments. Someone said that if they can get him over to the U.S. next year Philly will be choosing a guard.

I saw something about the buyout but I didn't think about it in regards to the draft. It makes sense. That would be quite a frontline. Also, they have a bunch of young guys working out in Philly that they have the rights to including Jordan McRae and Pierre Jackson.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
CrushAlot
USA
6/12/2015  8:42 PM
Keith Pompey ‏@PompeyOnSixers · 7h7 hours ago
Porzingis was VERY impressive in workout. A scout called him the best player in the draft "He's better than Karl Towns," said the scout.

jbeachboy
Member: #6050

6/12/2015  8:55 PM
s3231 wrote:

dirk took like 3 or 4 years to develop, you have to take a guy who can make the biggest impact, interesting to see if they have the courage to take a porzingis at 4

CrushAlot
USA
6/12/2015  9:05 PM
jbeachboy wrote:
s3231 wrote:

dirk took like 3 or 4 years to develop, you have to take a guy who can make the biggest impact, interesting to see if they have the courage to take a porzingis at 4

They had the courage to tank. I think they see it through and take the guy that is a franchise talent for 10-12 years.
jbeachboy
Member: #6050

6/12/2015  9:07 PM
i posted this on the other part, he has alot of question marks, read this!

porzingis, reminds me alot of dirk nowitzki problems when he first came in league, this guy has alot of question marks

struggles defending stronger bigs, below average rebounder, avoids contact offensively, 7 foot 1 and 220 pds, doesnt box or show any fight, gives up position on rebounds without resistance, struggles with interior defense against physical bigs, struggles in traffic, shies away in contact, uncomfortable catching in traffic,

game is too fast for him at both ends, below average court vision, misses teammates, high turnover to assist ratio, poor rebounding and defensive instincts, poor team defender, poor fundamentals with basics on defense, what role does he play in nba

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/12/2015  9:30 PM
The kid is tall and can shoot. He moves well for a kid that tall. Still doesn't mean he'll be a star. I would still take WCS over this kid. I know right now he can make an impact on this team and he still has upside. I don't have to hope WCS will be able to bang at the NBA level. KrisP is a stick figure. There's no telling how long it'll take for KrisP to develop physically if at all.

I can understand the love for his jumper but let's not get too carried away. He isn't going to be ready to make an impact for a while IMO. I'm not sure he's got the toughness to be dominant in the NBA either. He just concerns me in those areas. I could be wrong but the fears are there.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/12/2015  9:48 PM
nixluva wrote:The kid is tall and can shoot. He moves well for a kid that tall. Still doesn't mean he'll be a star. I would still take WCS over this kid. I know right now he can make an impact on this team and he still has upside. I don't have to hope WCS will be able to bang at the NBA level. KrisP is a stick figure. There's no telling how long it'll take for KrisP to develop physically if at all.

I can understand the love for his jumper but let's not get too carried away. He isn't going to be ready to make an impact for a while IMO. I'm not sure he's got the toughness to be dominant in the NBA either. He just concerns me in those areas. I could be wrong but the fears are there.

You have to be kidding me.

RIP Crushalot😞
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/12/2015  10:48 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
nixluva wrote:The kid is tall and can shoot. He moves well for a kid that tall. Still doesn't mean he'll be a star. I would still take WCS over this kid. I know right now he can make an impact on this team and he still has upside. I don't have to hope WCS will be able to bang at the NBA level. KrisP is a stick figure. There's no telling how long it'll take for KrisP to develop physically if at all.

KrisP just might be really good or he may never gain the needed strength to really excel in the NBA. He's not the first player with size n skills that looked great in Europe but not so much in the NBA. All I'm saying is he's no lock to develop physically. Even you had doubts about that.

WaltLongmire

6/12/2015  11:19 PM
nixluva wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

KrisP just might be really good or he may never gain the needed strength to really excel in the NBA. He's not the first player with size n skills that looked great in Europe but not so much in the NBA. All I'm saying is he's no lock to develop physically. Even you had doubts about that.

Stein was 221 at the same age, this guy is 230. Stein faced the same criticism, based on what I read, and over a 2 year period he gained 19 lbs. Porzingis is talking about 250-55 lbs as a target.

I think he will be gone earlier than 4, and we will get OK4, but this guy has some freaky physical ability, and already has a more polished offensive game than most bigs in the NBA.

He will have to deal with a tougher NBA, but he was playing against some pretty high competition-grown men- in Europe, not kids just out of HS.

Once again, I don't think he will there for us, but he has a good pedigree, some amazing physical tools, advanced offensive skills (already), and a true upside.

Passing and rebounding must improve, but he has the athletic skills to be an excellent defender and decent rebounder, and he is smart enough to be a good passer.

I would take him if I was at 2 or 3, and if he had played here and I had watched him bang up against the other college bigs we always talk about, I might take him at 1.

It is because of Porzingis that some mocks now have us getting Russell or OK4.

I think we end up with a franchise player no matter what happens at this point.

CrushAlot
USA
6/12/2015  11:26 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
nixluva wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Stein was 221 at the same age, this guy is 230. Stein faced the same criticism, based on what I read, and over a 2 year period he gained 19 lbs. Porzingis is talking about 250-55 lbs as a target.

I think he will be gone earlier than 4, and we will get OK4, but this guy has some freaky physical ability, and already has a more polished offensive game than most bigs in the NBA.

He will have to deal with a tougher NBA, but he was playing against some pretty high competition-grown men- in Europe, not kids just out of HS.

Once again, I don't think he will there for us, but he has a good pedigree, some amazing physical tools, advanced offensive skills (already), and a true upside.

Passing and rebounding must improve, but he has the athletic skills to be an excellent defender and decent rebounder, and he is smart enough to be a good passer.

I would take him if I was at 2 or 3, and if he had played here and I had watched him bang up against the other college bigs we always talk about, I might take him at 1.

Either Fraschilla or Ford said pretty much the same thing in the grant land video.
smackeddog
Member: #883
6/13/2015  3:06 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
Keith Pompey ‏@PompeyOnSixers · 7h7 hours ago
Porzingis was VERY impressive in workout. A scout called him the best player in the draft "He's better than Karl Towns," said the scout.

That will be the Lakers scout, hoping The Twolves believe him

CrushAlot
USA
6/13/2015  11:52 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:
nixluva wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Henson and Noel came into the league really light and have been able to put on weight. I wasn't sure if Henson would be able to but he has and both guys have turned out to be really good picks for their teams.
CrushAlot
USA
6/13/2015  12:04 PM
Nice article on the Sixers interest in Porzingis. A lot of it was covered in his interview including the part where he talks about playing point guard early on. It also mentions Hinkie and his interest. Apparently Hinkie went to Spain to watch Porzingis on several occasions.
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20150613_Sixers__taking_a_closer_look_at_European_star.html
CrushAlot
USA
6/13/2015  12:15 PM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine · 3h3 hours ago
Draft scuttle: Hearing Porzingis not only in play for Philly at No. 3 but now giving Lakers something to ponder at No. 2. Stock rising fast

WaltLongmire

6/13/2015  1:13 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Draft scuttle: Hearing Porzingis not only in play for Philly at No. 3 but now giving Lakers something to ponder at No. 2. Stock rising fast

CrushAlot wrote:

Someone is going to fall.

Don't forget that Saunders also scouted him extensively, and has used the KG comparison, supposedly.

Maybe he offers the Lakers the #1 for the LA's #2, 27, and 34, even a conditional #1 next year. Lakers take Towns, Minny takes KG 2.0 and some decent players in a deep draft.

The guys who have really scouted Porzingis seriously are Saunders and Hinkie, I think. Also read somewhere that Kupchak has commented about the length of time it takes to be a good team through the draft and developing young talent, and Towns (and OK4, too) is more advanced physically than Porzingis.

Just want to get the bloody draft over with at this point. I'm wasting too much time on this stuff and have to do some work on my house!

The Case for Porzingis.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy