[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks should go all in on k Lenard
Author Thread
fitzfarm
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3285

4/25/2015  9:58 AM
Even though he's a RFA we should give the Spurs a run for their money he's the best two way guard/forward that's semi available... The Spurs are thrifty would they let him walk if we offer max?

I also think we should go hard after draymond green then go after the likes of love, Aldrich ect if GSW and SAS match ... It's still worth a shot to give a honest effort at obtaining Lenard, and or green .

To have a potential line up of:

Towns,Aldrich
Green,Lou
Melo,Greek
Lenard,thjr
Shved,Galloway

This is of course if we get the 1st pick and have a shot at towns but it would give us a big back court

Also don't underestimate shved the guy is the perfect triangle pg if he's back he'll put up big numbers.

AUTOADVERT
H1AND1
Member: #5648

4/25/2015  10:01 AM
Kawhi is one of my favorite current players and I might shoot ropes if the Knicks were able to poach him from San Antonio. Sadly though he has been patient as the third and sometimes fourth banana because they've assured him that when Duncan et al from the old guard retired it's going to be his team. SA matches any offer for him no matter how laden with poison pills it is, sadly.
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

4/25/2015  10:14 AM
fitzfarm wrote:Even though he's a RFA we should give the Spurs a run for their money he's the best two way guard/forward that's semi available... The Spurs are thrifty would they let him walk if we offer max?

I also think we should go hard after draymond green then go after the likes of love, Aldrich ect if GSW and SAS match ... It's still worth a shot to give a honest effort at obtaining Lenard, and or green .

To have a potential line up of:

Towns,Aldrich
Green,Lou
Melo,Greek
Lenard,thjr
Shved,Galloway

This is of course if we get the 1st pick and have a shot at towns but it would give us a big back court

Also don't underestimate shved the guy is the perfect triangle pg if he's back he'll put up big numbers.

I've always liked him, and think he could be more of a scoring force he he wanted to do so. Offensively, he would be a perfect fit, and we all know how good he is on D, but...

I don't think Leonard would want to play in NYC. Seems like a quiet guy who has found a good situation in San Antonio. There may be things about him that I am unaware of, but I'm not sure he'd want to put up with the media scrutiny he would get as the next savior of the Knicks.

Besides, I don't think San Antonio would allow him to escape, and Leonard seems like the type of guy who would take a little less $$ to remain with the Spurs. Different atmosphere over there, or so it would seem.

Something to dream about, though.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
4/25/2015  10:24 AM
Kawhi isnt leaving. i actually dont even think he'd sign an offer sheet from us just to drive his own price up. he kniws his worth to that team there...he understands value.
blkexec
Member: #748
4/25/2015  12:12 PM
knickscity wrote:Kawhi isnt leaving. i actually dont even think he'd sign an offer sheet from us just to drive his own price up. he kniws his worth to that team there...he understands value.

You seem to know a lot about him....whats your source.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

4/25/2015  12:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/25/2015  8:39 PM
H1AND1 wrote:Kawhi is one of my favorite current players and I might shoot ropes if the Knicks were able to poach him from San Antonio. Sadly though he has been patient as the third and sometimes fourth banana because they've assured him that when Duncan et al from the old guard retired it's going to be his team. SA matches any offer for him no matter how laden with poison pills it is, sadly.

Agreed. I don't see how they let him go -- this is a guy who can go toe to toe with a Lebron James in the Finals. Awesome player--young, homegrown 2-way player. Whatever he could be worth to another team, he's worth to the Spurs...and then some. This is the guy they should be looking at to lead their team (together with Parker) when Duncan packs it in. I'd be shocked if they didn't match any offer, even a poison pill.

I think Cory Joseph is the guy we can poach from SA. They undoubtedly like him too but to them, he's probably looked at as a backup PG, or maybe even a 3rd string PG behind Patty Mills when Mills is healthy and playing well. Plus, the Spurs, as far as I know, have all of their 1st round picks intact--this summer and in the upcoming years. With those picks (even in the low first round) they could go get themselves a replacement for Joseph if need be. Our situation is all together different. Let's be honest -- with our lottery pick we're all thinking one of the top 2 bigs or either Winslow or Russell. Most of us are not thinking Mudiay here (I don't think Phil is either). No 1st round pick in 2016 and with guys like Knight and Dragic almost certain to resign with their new teams, options are limited in FA too -- I see Joseph as the next best PG upgrade option followed by Jeremy Lin, a guy our owner is probably still upset with...Joseph may be a backup in SA but over here, he could be our starting PG. Even if we signed a max player, there will still be a large enough portion of the cap left over where we could divert part of it to this guy. I think Joseph would be a very good investment, even if we had to overbid a little. E'Twaun Moore is another guard (a talented hybrid 1/2) that I have my eye on if Chicago cuts him loose (the Bulls hold a team option on Moore for next year).

smackeddog
Member: #883
4/25/2015  12:37 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/25/2015  12:38 PM
All you'd do is tie up your money, miss out on other free agents and then watch the Spurs laugh and match- the cap is going up (The current max will seem like a bargain in a few years), their salaries are low- there is no reason on earth why they would not match. Likewise with Green- if Warriors are too worried about salary they will just trade Lee and a pick.
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

4/25/2015  12:50 PM
blkexec wrote:
knickscity wrote:Kawhi isnt leaving. i actually dont even think he'd sign an offer sheet from us just to drive his own price up. he kniws his worth to that team there...he understands value.

You seem to know a lot about him....whats your source.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-kawhi-leonard-will-be-the-nba-s-most-intriguing-free-agent-recruiter-this-summer-084241791.html

Here's a Wojnarowski article from today speculating that Leonard will not be recruited, but instead be a "recruiter."

Some quotes:

Leonard is a Southern California kid content with life in South Texas, with no desire to chase fame in a big market. He wants to chase championships and understands sooner than later he'll need a supporting cast of his own.

For now, there's no scenario where Leonard plans to pursue offer sheets on the market, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Leonard wants to be a Spur, and the Spurs are expected to come calling on July 1 with the max offer that they resisted delivering Leonard in the preseason, a move born out of preserving cap space to bring on a star free agent this summer.

The Spurs can't be sure how they'll proceed on July 1 until they know Duncan's and Ginobili's plans. Whatever they decide, the possibility of pursuing Aldridge on the recruiting trail could offer the Spurs the chance to do the only thing that they've never done in the NBA: Lure an All-Star free agent in his prime, beat New York and Los Angeles somewhere besides the basketball court.

For those who want to win, for those unimpressed with the empty promises of sideways big-market franchises, Kawhi Leonard ought to be July's most persuasive recruiter: all action, all the time.

I would say the chances of him coming here are 0%, unfortunately

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
markvmc
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1797

4/25/2015  1:34 PM
Just look at the respective trajectories of the two teams since the 99 finals. Why would you leave the best run organization since that period for, quite possibly, the worst?
holfresh
Member: #1081

4/25/2015  2:00 PM
KLeonard is a quiet kid who struggles through interviews..He isn't a NY type guy..SA is perfect for him..
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

4/25/2015  2:07 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:I would say the chances of him coming here are 0%, unfortunately

+1, sadly

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

4/25/2015  2:09 PM
H1AND1 wrote:Kawhi is one of my favorite current players and I might shoot ropes if the Knicks were able to poach him from San Antonio. Sadly though he has been patient as the third and sometimes fourth banana because they've assured him that when Duncan et al from the old guard retired it's going to be his team. SA matches any offer for him no matter how laden with poison pills it is, sadly.

Yep the Spurs are not gonna let Kawhi go anywhere and the plan is to hand the team to him and bring in another player to run the team with him which will be LMA. The only big name RFA i think we have any chance at is J.Butler, Dray Green and maybe K.Middleton but don't think we'll be able to get any of them.

Knicks1969
Member: #5915

4/25/2015  8:02 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/25/2015  8:03 PM
Kahwi Leonard is too smart to come to NY. If I were a great athleete, I would never consider playing for a garbage organization like the Knicks. Why on earth would I do that? Theedia is terrible, the owner is horrendous, and the fans can be stupid at times.
Thank God Fisher is no longer our coach, now let's get Calderon out of here:)
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/25/2015  8:07 PM
Knicks1969 wrote:Kahwi Leonard is too smart to come to NY. If I were a great athleete, I would never consider playing for a garbage organization like the Knicks. Why on earth would I do that? Theedia is terrible, the owner is horrendous, and the fans can be stupid at times.

There is no reason for him to leave. He is on a championship team with a hof coach and they can pay him more than anybody else. His staying as everything to do with being in a great situation. It isn't a reflection on the Knicks. It would be a mistake for the Knicks to target guys that are definitely going to resign with their team.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/25/2015  8:12 PM
Kawhi is the Spurs heir apparent. He plays for the best coach in the league, on a team with a winning tradition that you don't have to do an internet search to find.

We dont have to be contenders to attract talent, but the Knicks have to show an upwards trajectory to make NY an attractive destination to the best players in the league. Things are looking up with all the cap room ahead and a high draft pick, but right now that's just paper profit.

callmened
Member: #4234

4/25/2015  10:51 PM
Doesn't matter. He's not coming to ny
Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
s3231
Member: #544
USA
4/26/2015  2:46 PM
It's not even worth our time to target him...we would be doing the Spurs a favor because they would just wait until the last possible minute to match and we would be stuck with half of our free agent money being held up for at least a few days (and this is even assuming that it gets to this point). The Spurs would just laugh as one of their free agent competitors with over $25 million in cap space is held up on making any moves while they clean up.

On top of that, the Spurs are too smart to not give him the max right away (which will be a great deal for them once cap shoots up).

Leonard is a hell of a player and we have to get into the mindset now of finding, drafting, and delvoping our own young potential superstar. You don't get guys like this in restricted free agency....it doesn't work that way anymore after Shaq left Orlando and RFA was put in place.

"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
4/26/2015  2:50 PM
Spurs wont have to match, Kawhi isnt gonna screw the team he loves just to raise the price. He aint signing an offer sheet in NY. Quit dreaming.
mreinman
Member: #3189

4/26/2015  2:51 PM
this would be the dumbest move (on his part) and if he would come here then there is something wrong with his head and I don't want him.
so here is what phil is thinking ....
s3231
Member: #544
USA
4/26/2015  2:57 PM
smackeddog wrote:All you'd do is tie up your money, miss out on other free agents and then watch the Spurs laugh and match- the cap is going up (The current max will seem like a bargain in a few years), their salaries are low- there is no reason on earth why they would not match. Likewise with Green- if Warriors are too worried about salary they will just trade Lee and a pick.

Exactly. Agreed 100%

"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Knicks should go all in on k Lenard

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy