[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

New GM?
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
12/9/2001  5:42 PM
Anyone think the Knicks should get a new GM? Layden hasn't really done anything special and with guys out there like Jerry West and Pat Croce, either of whom I would rather have at GM then Layden, you think they should go after them? I know they probably won't since Dolan doesn't like change, but I hope they do.
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
12/9/2001  6:11 PM
Welcome to the ultimateknicks forum bigsm00th, I don't think anyone here likes Layden.

As for new GM candidates..

Bill Bradley
Jerry West
Pat Croce
Clyde Drexler

Layden has done such a "fine" job at the Knicks we will be sad when he departs for new ventures
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/9/2001  7:06 PM
I think we need to give Layden at least until the trade deadline, but if he can't do anything to improve the team by then, we will need someone who can this summer.
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
12/9/2001  8:13 PM
While Layden hasn't done anything dramatic to improve the Knicks, I'll commend him on his dealing Rice away for Shandon and Eisley. Look at what Glen Rice is doing now... 8.6 points in 30 minutes and often injured as he is right now. Now his draft this year left much to be desired.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
12/9/2001  9:11 PM
Yeah, I think this draft will determine how good of a GM he is. I hope he picks a PG and a guy down low who can score and draw a double team, like Lonnie Baxter of Maryland. I too liked the Rice deal. The one deal I didn't like was trading Donnel Harvey for Erick Strickland on draft day two years ago. Then he traded Erick Strickland and a first rounder to Vancouver for Harrington and that pick got them Jamaal Tinsley, who they traded, so, in essence, the Knicks could have Tinsley and Harvey right now. Still, at least who they pick up this year in the draft should make the team, because Frank Robinson and Felton Spencer are free agents and shouldn't be resigned, that opens up two roster spots for picks.
#Knickstaps
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/9/2001  9:30 PM
I don't care if we did pass up Tinsley in the long run, getting Harrington was the right deal at that time. In theory, Strickland and a first rounder for Harrington is a steal for us and i still don't regret doing it. You guys also have to realize another good pick-up Layden made, grabbing Clarence Weatherspoon. It doesn't seem like much, but he sure makes you forget what LJ brought to the team besides leadership and Spoon is a hard-working veteran that can really make the different on a team such as ours. With him and Harrington coming off the bench for Camby and Thomas, our team's frontcourt is suddenly a lot more affective then most would think.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/9/2001  9:50 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Yeah, I think this draft will determine how good of a GM he is. I hope he picks a PG and a guy down low who can score and draw a double team, like Lonnie Baxter of Maryland. I too liked the Rice deal. The one deal I didn't like was trading Donnel Harvey for Erick Strickland on draft day two years ago. Then he traded Erick Strickland and a first rounder to Vancouver for Harrington and that pick got them Jamaal Tinsley, who they traded, so, in essence, the Knicks could have Tinsley and Harvey right now. Still, at least who they pick up this year in the draft should make the team, because Frank Robinson and Felton Spencer are free agents and shouldn't be resigned, that opens up two roster spots for picks.

Are Donnel Harvey or Erick Strickland getting minutes in the NBA? I think both of those trades and the Glen Rice trade make the Knicks better.

To say that Layden should have brought in a low-post big man to the Knicks for the cheap scraps that the team has to offer is to say that all of the other GMs are terribly stupid. CWeb? Dale Davis? McDyess? Who could NY give up that would satisfy what the other team give up? The Knicks have small players with huge contracts, not all of whom are the products of Layden. CWeb was the only real shot NY had at getting a productive big and he didn't really want to pass up the guaranteed money. I say he is doing a good job so far and the next draft or trade will make his mark as a person to keep or fire.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
12/10/2001  5:04 AM
Oh thy of short memory.

Layden botched up the injury retirements of LJ and LL. He got Spoon, a JVG favorite, to replace LJ so he can't admit he didn't know about the career end of LJ before. He just didn't want to cough up all the money (or 20% procent of it anyway as the insurance covers the rest).

Draft picks, well I won't go into "woods" but drafting Chenowith was simply moronic. Even guys who excel in college sometimes don't perform well in the league but when a guy is a bust in the second year of college then why draft him? You can't expect our size problem to be resolved by 2nd round picks. So Satterfield, Boumtje Boumtje, Oscar Torres or even Ousmane Cisse would have been better selections.

The Allan Houston contract, I'll say no more.
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
12/10/2001  5:08 AM
Oh and as for the Glen Rice trade, that was more Rudy T. his doing as he really wanted Glen Rice. It sure helped that Shandon was asking for to much dough then Houston was going to pick up. As for Eisley, the Mavs Nelson really wanted to get Timmy. Do you really believe Layden went after both those guys or if he just facilitated the trade?

No really....
MYZELseventeen
Member: #179
Aruba
12/10/2001  10:58 AM
JERRY WEST
DAVID MYZEL----------------------------------MYZE17@HOTMAIL.COM
MYZELseventeen
Aruba
12/10/2001  10:58 AM
JERRY WEST
MYZELseventeen
Aruba
12/10/2001  10:59 AM
JERRY WEST
MYZELseventeen
Aruba
12/10/2001  10:59 AM
JERRY WEST
MYZELseventeen
Aruba
12/10/2001  11:00 AM
i think i-ve made my position clear
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/10/2001  11:38 AM
Posted by MYZELseventeen:

i think i-ve made my position clear

OK MYZELseventeen, your point is clear, but you are going to have to add some more words to your colors? Why would Jerry West want to come to NY? Can he be successful with the types of contracts the current players have and the type of ship Dolan runs? Is he a West coast kind of guy or would the East coast lure him?

With his recent past history of jumping ship after the reins got tighter in LA, I really don't see him getting buddy-buddy with the crew at MSG. What could the Knicks offer him that would make him move?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
New GM?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy