Author Thread
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

4/23/2015  11:10 AM
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:Yea it's pretty dumb which is why I can see him on the Knicks next year.

I prefer Monroe. Better passer and rebounder. Better synergy . Cheaper. Better fit for triangle. Melo/Aldridge IS Melo/Amare all over again.
Heck Kevin Love would be a better fit here as far as balance goes

Monroe is not a better defender, rebounder and cannot carry a team..Monroe has led 30 win teams the last 4 years in the East..Aldridge has led his teams to the playoffs the last 6 years in the West..Aldridge steps it up in the playoffs as well..Monroe isn't that kind of player..It's not even close..You really think not having a motor and yearning to win don't matter??

has LA carried his teams in the playoffs?

He's been good. He gave the Rockets fit in that series win and they lost to the Spurs who won the title in convincing fashing. I mean Aldridge has flaws but he's a legit star.

He has not been good, he's been terrible.

And, in the Rockets series, he was good for the first 2 games when he was hot. Then he went cold and Portland had enough other players to cover his bad play.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
AUTOADVERT
holfresh
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1081

4/23/2015  11:30 AM
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:Yea it's pretty dumb which is why I can see him on the Knicks next year.

I prefer Monroe. Better passer and rebounder. Better synergy . Cheaper. Better fit for triangle. Melo/Aldridge IS Melo/Amare all over again.

Monroe is not a better defender, rebounder and cannot carry a team..Monroe has led 30 win teams the last 4 years in the East..Aldridge has led his teams to the playoffs the last 6 years in the West..Aldridge steps it up in the playoffs as well..Monroe isn't that kind of player..It's not even close..You really think not having a motor and yearning to win don't matter??

He is the best player on the team..Just like u can't admit Melo was the most important piece on the 54 win team when the dude is averaging 27 per...Insane..
holfresh

4/23/2015  11:32 AM
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:

He's been good. He gave the Rockets fit in that series win and they lost to the Spurs who won the title in convincing fashing. I mean Aldridge has flaws but he's a legit star.

And, in the Rockets series, he was good for the first 2 games when he was hot. Then he went cold and Portland had enough other players to cover his bad play.

He is terrible??...24 pts per game 10 boards on 47% shooting is not terrible...

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/23/2015  11:36 AM
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:

you seem to have two levels... really good and terrible. A bad shooting night does not make you terrible. Please dont tell me you took a look at DAs advanced stats and that was enough to label him terrible. As for the Houston series... You are selling him so short in that Rocket's series its silly. Guy killed them and Portland wins the first two games on the road. That was the series in a nutshell. You would have it sound like they won inspite of him. They won because LA was the best player and then Houston couldnt dig out of an 0-2 hole with 3 of the next 4 on the road.

Guy's been to 4 all star games in a row. Got anything more than "he's terrible?"

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
blkexec
Member: #748
4/23/2015  11:38 AM
holfresh wrote:
fishmike wrote:
holfresh wrote:
nyk4ever wrote:
holfresh wrote:

the debate between aldridge and monroe isn't even worth talking about, alridge is by far a superior player. plus to compare aldridge to amar'e is laughable, they are completely different players. aldridge does most of his damage 15-18feet while amar'e when he came here was doing his damage 12feet and in.

i actually think aldridge would be the perfect fit next to melo - we would need a rebounding/defensive center to pair with aldridge though.

Ideally Aldridge, Towns, and Melo can be a 45/50 win team now..To me, Aldridge makes sense because he and Melo have another 3/4 good years left baring injury..After that you retool right around the time Phil calls it quits...

The guy I see in that situation is OK4. OK4 clogs the lane and is a true big who lives in the paint, and his his post moves and passing you want to run the ball through him (yes, even at 20 years old). The reason is he doesnt force anything, and he's an excellent passer out of the double teams. Both Melo and LA are guys with excellent range, so you have 3 highly skilled bigs who's games dont bump into each other, they compliment. Also all 3 can play a couple spots and should be able to shift to smaller lineups nicely.

An OK4/Aldridge/Melo front line is huge, skilled and will be a fantastic rebounding front line. As LA/Melo start to fade as father time takes over OK4 emerges.

If we are talking about Towns I would prefer Gasol. Monroe seems like a better fit next to Town, and idealy he is, but he's not half the player LA is.

OK4 defense is poor and he isn't in shape..Melo and Aldridge is enough offense in the post..I think Towns is an immediate fit..However, I we can't land Aldridge, then I go with OK4 at the 4 and try to find a defensive big...

I think the Portland and Memphis series has the two bigs we should target. And no I'm not talking about LA. I'm talking about a center like Gasol (which is a slim possibility, if we over pay)....But more realistically is Robin Lopez. He's the perfect center, at a cheaper price tag, to play center with almost any big we draft or add through free agency.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
holfresh

4/23/2015  11:44 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/23/2015  11:47 AM
blkexec wrote:
holfresh wrote:
fishmike wrote:
holfresh wrote:
nyk4ever wrote:
holfresh wrote:

the debate between aldridge and monroe isn't even worth talking about, alridge is by far a superior player. plus to compare aldridge to amar'e is laughable, they are completely different players. aldridge does most of his damage 15-18feet while amar'e when he came here was doing his damage 12feet and in.

i actually think aldridge would be the perfect fit next to melo - we would need a rebounding/defensive center to pair with aldridge though.

Ideally Aldridge, Towns, and Melo can be a 45/50 win team now..To me, Aldridge makes sense because he and Melo have another 3/4 good years left baring injury..After that you retool right around the time Phil calls it quits...

The guy I see in that situation is OK4. OK4 clogs the lane and is a true big who lives in the paint, and his his post moves and passing you want to run the ball through him (yes, even at 20 years old). The reason is he doesnt force anything, and he's an excellent passer out of the double teams. Both Melo and LA are guys with excellent range, so you have 3 highly skilled bigs who's games dont bump into each other, they compliment. Also all 3 can play a couple spots and should be able to shift to smaller lineups nicely.

An OK4/Aldridge/Melo front line is huge, skilled and will be a fantastic rebounding front line. As LA/Melo start to fade as father time takes over OK4 emerges.

If we are talking about Towns I would prefer Gasol. Monroe seems like a better fit next to Town, and idealy he is, but he's not half the player LA is.

OK4 defense is poor and he isn't in shape..Melo and Aldridge is enough offense in the post..I think Towns is an immediate fit..However, I we can't land Aldridge, then I go with OK4 at the 4 and try to find a defensive big...

I think the Portland and Memphis series has the two bigs we should target. And no I'm not talking about LA. I'm talking about a center like Gasol (which is a slim possibility, if we over pay)....But more realistically is Robin Lopez. He's the perfect center, at a cheaper price tag, to play center with almost any big we draft or add through free agency.

Ha..I'm really not high on Gasol..Think his defense is overrated and he just slim down this year, his contract year..I can't max out guys who don't/can't carry a team..Good luck brother...If I want Lopez then I'll draft Stein...

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
4/23/2015  11:55 AM
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:Marc Stein just reported that the Spurs and Mavericks will both pursue LA in free agency. If Pop wants LA I think it's gonna be real hard to beat his recruiting edge that he'd have in offering him to take over for T.Duncan and to play for Pop in the Spurs organization.

well that is a match made in heaven

and LA is from Texas

From what I've heard the Spurs are going to try to snatch LMA and his pal Wesley Matthews this off-season.

Best run team in the league.

I don't think the Knicks have much of a chance at LMA, sadly. I like his game.

¿ △ ?
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/23/2015  12:03 PM
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:Marc Stein just reported that the Spurs and Mavericks will both pursue LA in free agency. If Pop wants LA I think it's gonna be real hard to beat his recruiting edge that he'd have in offering him to take over for T.Duncan and to play for Pop in the Spurs organization.

and LA is from Texas

From what I've heard the Spurs are going to try to snatch LMA and his pal Wesley Matthews this off-season.

LMA is good. I could see him being a good fit. He's a good pro. Not the ideal "max" guy but we need good vets to bridge the gap. Cant be all young players and Melo. I would be nice to have another vet to lean on and LMA can be that type of player.

He's not a guy I could covet, but he's certainly a guy who can help. A piece. A winner.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
smackeddog
Member: #883
4/23/2015  12:13 PM
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:

Keep peddling that myth!

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
4/23/2015  12:13 PM
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

and LA is from Texas

LMA is good. I could see him being a good fit. He's a good pro. Not the ideal "max" guy but we need good vets to bridge the gap. Cant be all young players and Melo. I would be nice to have another vet to lean on and LMA can be that type of player.

He's not a guy I could covet, but he's certainly a guy who can help. A piece. A winner.

Yeah - he's a guy that would make them a solid playoffs team almost right away. But I don't know if they could get to the next level with him. But he'd bring that leadership and veteran pressence they need.

I just see the Spurs as such a logical fit for him.

¿ △ ?
mreinman

4/23/2015  12:26 PM
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:

I could care less about points per game. That is a stupid stat.

I care about how efficient he is at getting those points and he is horribly inefficient.

I don't know why this is so complicated (seriously ... don't get why people keep talking about points)

mreinman

4/23/2015  12:28 PM
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:

you seem to have two levels... really good and terrible. A bad shooting night does not make you terrible. Please dont tell me you took a look at DAs advanced stats and that was enough to label him terrible. As for the Houston series... You are selling him so short in that Rocket's series its silly. Guy killed them and Portland wins the first two games on the road. That was the series in a nutshell. You would have it sound like they won inspite of him. They won because LA was the best player and then Houston couldnt dig out of an 0-2 hole with 3 of the next 4 on the road.

Guy's been to 4 all star games in a row. Got anything more than "he's terrible?"

When your star can't even hit a 50% TS that is a huge problem.

And as far as Houston is concerned, Harden was terrible and Portland was a MUCH better team.

mreinman

4/23/2015  12:28 PM
smackeddog wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:

Keep peddling that myth!

You will only be happy if we get Rondo.

RonRon
Member: #246
4/23/2015  12:39 PM
LA is very talented and he is much better on both OFF and DEF than a lot of other targets
His ability to stretch the floor and post up, while grabbing 10 boards, and being able to play inside on OFF and DEF is the key

His mid range game is great and unstoppable due to his length/size/height and he is also very strong and great mobility
I think his skills are worthy of a MAX salary but the problem is that he isn't a leader

Just as a I think DeAndre Jordan is a MAX player despite his weakness's

It all depends on if you are able to build a team that FITS around them
Keep in mind, their MAX is much lower than those of many other players....

smackeddog
Member: #883
4/23/2015  1:45 PM
mreinman wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:

Keep peddling that myth!

You keep saying this and I keep telling you, I don't like Rondo! If you remember we actually pretty much agreed on players we'd like to target despite our differing methodologies.

holfresh

4/23/2015  1:53 PM
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:

I care about how efficient he is at getting those points and he is horribly inefficient.

I don't know why this is so complicated (seriously ... don't get why people keep talking about points)

Because TS% is a stupid way to look at a player..U don't know how the particular player score his points..U don't know if he is a three point shooter or scoring from ft..17 of the top 20 TS% players aren't the best players on their teams..They aren't even top 2 or 3 on their own team...So what's the point???

dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
4/23/2015  2:10 PM
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:

Because TS% is a stupid way to look at a player..U don't know how the particular player score his points..U don't know if he is a three point shooter or scoring from ft..17 of the top 20 TS% players aren't the best players on their teams..They aren't even top 2 or 3 on their own team...So what's the point???

it's easy to find out how many 3 pointers, 2 pointers, and free throws a player takes. a complete wing player will have a 3 point shot as part of his arsenal. non-stretch 4s like aldridge will not, although he seems to be working on that shot too. with that said he has started taking several shots too many per game-- it was 17 now closer to 20-- and that helps lower his fg% to a very middling level, around 46% which is not elite for PF. also he is trending his shot selection further and further from the basket, which is going to hurt his average further. and you will note further that his fta per game is also very low for a player being touted so highly. he needs to get to the line 8-9 times a game. all in all his game is sort of soft and getting softer.

interestingly, if he manages to actually become an okay 3-point shooter, his ts% will become relevant.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
holfresh

4/23/2015  3:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/23/2015  3:40 PM
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:

it's easy to find out how many 3 pointers, 2 pointers, and free throws a player takes. a complete wing player will have a 3 point shot as part of his arsenal. non-stretch 4s like aldridge will not, although he seems to be working on that shot too. with that said he has started taking several shots too many per game-- it was 17 now closer to 20-- and that helps lower his fg% to a very middling level, around 46% which is not elite for PF. also he is trending his shot selection further and further from the basket, which is going to hurt his average further. and you will note further that his fta per game is also very low for a player being touted so highly. he needs to get to the line 8-9 times a game. all in all his game is sort of soft and getting softer.

interestingly, if he manages to actually become an okay 3-point shooter, his ts% will become relevant.

Doesn't take away from the fact that TS% a vague stat...It compels you to be apprehensive about who these figures are representing..If you look at TS% for an international player that you have never seen, it means absolutely nothing to you..You don't know if you are looking at Harden or Tyson Chandler..If you look at pts per game, ft%, and threes %, then you know exactly what you might be seeing..So gain, what is the point of TS%??

mreinman

4/23/2015  4:29 PM
smackeddog wrote:
mreinman wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:

Keep peddling that myth!

You keep saying this and I keep telling you, I don't like Rondo! If you remember we actually pretty much agreed on players we'd like to target despite our differing methodologies.

yeah ... I was being sarcastic

mreinman

4/23/2015  4:37 PM
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:

Its stupid to ignore it and not include it in the synopsis.

You are stuck in your ways and won't open your mind to new (good) ideas / metrics.

I watched LA play 20-30 games this year. I know how this works.

There are many bigs who can't shoot threes yet they are still efficient. LA is a very good player (yet overrated). He has stunk in the playoffs just like Melo stunk (often) in the playoffs. Lets just call it how it is and stop trying to reverse engineer everything to make in work.

LA started shooting more threes (which I said that he needed to do before the season and got yelled at here by almost everyone). He needs to shoot much smarter shots from much smarter locations on the floor.

He would be perfect here in the triangle though with his love of the long 2.

I could see Aldridge coming here

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy