[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Robin Lopez is a back up
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/19/2015  9:19 PM
Talent on a good team. I know Portland has been a good regular season team but they don't have nearly enough for the playoffs starting at the 5 and the over rated Lopez. Whoever is stupid and pays him big money deserves what they get
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
callmened
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4234

4/19/2015  10:46 PM
He's an injury prone big man who can't guard the pnr like he used to. I'm sure someone will pay him a nice contract based on reputation alone. It wouldn't surprise me if that's the knicks
Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
4/20/2015  3:23 AM
At this point, assuming we miss out on Towns, who is the best defensive C out there this offseason?- the options are dwindling
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
4/20/2015  8:09 AM
callmened wrote:He's an injury prone big man who can't guard the pnr like he used to. I'm sure someone will pay him a nice contract based on reputation alone. It wouldn't surprise me if that's the knicks

How is he injury prone? He was hurt once this year and had been healthy before that. Played 82 games per year. And he's only 26 years old i think. yet you talk like he's past his prime. I think he's a decent option, i just wish he was more athletic.

callmened

4/20/2015  8:33 AM
this yr he was injury prone but yes i wouldnt consider him brittle. im more concerned about his declining defense more than his declining health
Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
VCoug
Member: #1406

4/20/2015  8:39 AM
smackeddog wrote:At this point, assuming we miss out on Towns, who is the best defensive C out there this offseason?- the options are dwindling

Asik is a free agent. But you have to figure that New Orleans will do whatever it takes to resign him since they traded a first round pick for him. Also, he has stone hands so not exactly a triangle C.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
callmened

4/20/2015  8:52 AM
asik is also a center that has regressed. we all know hes a zero on offense but at least he gave u defense. but now in this NBA world, one needs a big man who can guard the pick n roll. he used to be ok at this but now hes sucks. golden state knows this and is completely taking advantage of that. i would NOT want him on the knicks
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

4/20/2015  9:19 AM
BRIGGS wrote:Talent on a good team. I know Portland has been a good regular season team but they don't have nearly enough for the playoffs starting at the 5 and the over rated Lopez. Whoever is stupid and pays him big money deserves what they get

Well depending on who the Knicks get to play the 4 he could end up being a Knick.
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

4/20/2015  9:21 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/20/2015  9:25 AM
smackeddog wrote:At this point, assuming we miss out on Towns, who is the best defensive C out there this offseason?- the options are dwindling

D.Jordan would be the top defensive center out there for this free agency I would think and R.Hibbert, O.Asik, R.Lopez would be the others. I'm sure I'm missing some. B.Lopez has a opt out for next year but I don't see him opting out cause it's some outrageous amount like 16-17 million.
shinmen
Member: #6029
France
4/20/2015  9:26 AM
callmened wrote:asik is also a center that has regressed. we all know hes a zero on offense but at least he gave u defense. but now in this NBA world, one needs a big man who can guard the pick n roll. he used to be ok at this but now hes sucks. golden state knows this and is completely taking advantage of that. i would NOT want him on the knicks

I agree. But which FA could we target that would be able to anchor our defense? Honestly, I don't know. I was inclined to pick Alexis Ajinca or Robin Lopez and split their game time with KAT if we manage to draft him.
We also desperately need rebound and Asik, Lopez can help on this front.

blkexec
Member: #748
4/20/2015  9:38 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/20/2015  9:39 AM
BRIGGS wrote:Talent on a good team. I know Portland has been a good regular season team but they don't have nearly enough for the playoffs starting at the 5 and the over rated Lopez. Whoever is stupid and pays him big money deserves what they get

Well the knicks are not a good team. Therefore, R.Lopez is a quality starter, who will provide a similar impact to Monroe, but at a cheaper price. I say R.Lopez is a great option for us as a starting center, especially if we draft Towns or OK4. How much better is Monroe over Lopez? I think their salaries will be different, but their wins / loss impact will be the same.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
BRIGGS
4/20/2015  9:50 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:

Well depending on who the Knicks get to play the 4 he could end up being a Knick.

Just keep Cole A for now 3 years 6mm. You'd have to pat 12mm for Lopez and that is just stupidity.

RIP Crushalot😞
callmened

4/20/2015  9:58 AM
Lopez is the type of glue guy that adds icing to the cake. Let's just say the knicks are no where near a cake. They should focus on getting the highest quality players to make them relevant. After that they can worry about glue guys. Lopez at this point would be expected to do too much
smackeddog
4/20/2015  10:34 AM
Are they many good defensive PF's out there this offseason? If we draft OK4 it might be better to have him at C and instead target a defensive PF.
BRIGGS
4/20/2015  10:39 AM
smackeddog wrote:Are they many good defensive PF's out there this offseason? If we draft OK4 it might be better to have him at C and instead target a defensive PF.

PF is a scoring position in the NBA

RIP Crushalot😞
smackeddog
4/20/2015  10:41 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:

D.Jordan would be the top defensive center out there for this free agency I would think and R.Hibbert, O.Asik, R.Lopez would be the others. I'm sure I'm missing some. B.Lopez has a opt out for next year but I don't see him opting out cause it's some outrageous amount like 16-17 million.

I know Larry Bird basically just told Hibbert to opt out- in the end of year Pacers press conference he said they planned on reducing his role, changing to a faster more offensive team, and having him come off the bench, and also had some uncomplimentary things to say about. If Hibbert is smart however, he will opt in this season, and become a free agent next year when the cap has blown up.

y2zipper
Member: #3287

4/20/2015  11:39 AM
Melo should be the PF for exactly the reason Briggs mentioned. It's a scoring position and that's what Melo does best, and he's got the size and rebounding to do it.

The issue with most of these defensive centers is that they're ultimately role players. Protecting the rim DOES have value in the NBA, and teams need that to win a title, but great rim protecting centers tend to be marginal at other aspects of the game. Roy Hibbert is practically the best rim-protecting center in the NBA still, but he doesn't do much else, so when Indiana doesn't have a lot of good players, they're still bad. Mozgov is a good rim protector that helps Cleveland win, but you can overpay for him when you have 3 real difference-makers. Teams like the Knicks have to spend resources on difference-makers first, then add the rim protector when they're ready to make a run.

The only good rim protector in the league that you can actually run an offense through is DeMarcus Cousins...

BRIGGS
4/20/2015  11:43 AM
y2zipper wrote:Melo should be the PF for exactly the reason Briggs mentioned. It's a scoring position and that's what Melo does best, and he's got the size and rebounding to do it.

The issue with most of these defensive centers is that they're ultimately role players. Protecting the rim DOES have value in the NBA, and teams need that to win a title, but great rim protecting centers tend to be marginal at other aspects of the game. Roy Hibbert is practically the best rim-protecting center in the NBA still, but he doesn't do much else, so when Indiana doesn't have a lot of good players, they're still bad. Mozgov is a good rim protector that helps Cleveland win, but you can overpay for him when you have 3 real difference-makers. Teams like the Knicks have to spend resources on difference-makers first, then add the rim protector when they're ready to make a run.

The only good rim protector in the league that you can actually run an offense through is DeMarcus Cousins...

Thats why I dont think its bad to play with 2 5-4's like Atlanta does. Unless you have a Gobert type the 5 position is like a dinosaur--you need them but as role players.

RIP Crushalot😞
mreinman
Member: #3189

4/20/2015  11:43 AM
smackeddog wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

I know Larry Bird basically just told Hibbert to opt out- in the end of year Pacers press conference he said they planned on reducing his role, changing to a faster more offensive team, and having him come off the bench, and also had some uncomplimentary things to say about. If Hibbert is smart however, he will opt in this season, and become a free agent next year when the cap has blown up.

Hmmm ... another team that is looking to do away with old school.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
y2zipper
Member: #3287

4/20/2015  12:15 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
y2zipper wrote:Melo should be the PF for exactly the reason Briggs mentioned. It's a scoring position and that's what Melo does best, and he's got the size and rebounding to do it.

Thats why I dont think its bad to play with 2 5-4's like Atlanta does. Unless you have a Gobert type the 5 position is like a dinosaur--you need them but as role players.

Noah and Gasol in Chicago is the best example of having a roster with 2 5-4's that works. Gasol plays C most of the time defensively because he can't move or guard the perimeter as well as Noah can at his age, but offensively, Gasol is a force at either position.

Differentiating between the PF and C positions in today's league doesn't make much sense. Generally speaking the guys that you want to play inside and that can't move as well defend centers, and the guys that are more versatile defensively play PF because they can defend the stretch players that are prominent at the 4 today.

Robin Lopez is a back up

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy