[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

THE 2015 NBA playoff thread
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/17/2015  2:45 PM
So where would you (Hol and Nalod) place the Warriors in NBA history out of all nba teams? Top what?
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
USA
6/17/2015  2:50 PM
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:I don't think their path was particularly weak. For starters, they're in the west, and they had to beat 3 50+ win teams. How about the 1999 Spurs? They had to beat a barely .500 team that was missing its top player in the finals.
I'm thinking people just don't like Golden State's roster/approach and are looking for any reason they can come up with to minimize what they've achieved.

Not really..You aren't looking at the entire picture...Cavs gave them all they could handle with 2 all start missing...Houston was missing Beverly their best perimeter defender..They had two almost 38 yr olds chasing Curry..Then they faced Conley and Allen who were hurt...

If you're going to say that a series win is invalid or even diminished because a guy at the level of Patrick Beverly was out, you're basically invalidating 90 plus percent of NBA playoff series.

Not at all..Injuries are part of the game..Don't forget DHow just came back from injury as well...He was out almost half the year..But if you are classifying them as an all time great team, well you have to look at it through another lens..

It depends on what you mean by all time great. I think the article in the other thread showing them statistically to be a top 15 team is about right.
Dwight wasn't exactly just coming back. He played the final 11 regular season games and next 17 playoff games. He was almost 30 games back.

He was on minutes restrictions like Amare..20 mins per game..Even continued in the playoffs..

He played 34 mpg in the playoffs. The two games he had low min he was in foul trouble (5 and 6 total fouls).
I'm sure his knee was sore but you want to marginalize what the Warriors accomplished because Howard was "only" healthy enough to average 16.4 points, 14.0 rebs, and 2.3 blocks a game? You don't recognize how desperate your arguments are getting?
holfresh
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1081

6/17/2015  2:56 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:So where would you (Hol and Nalod) place the Warriors in NBA history out of all nba teams? Top what?

Really hard to say..Think about it..We saw some dynasties with Magic, Bird, Duncan, Shaq and Kobe, Bron in Miami, Detroit...What they do going forward will be important in terms of legacy..Right now they are one of the better teams in the league..I think a Cavs team at full strength will beat them...I think OKC at full strength is better with the right coach..

Bonn1997
USA
6/17/2015  2:57 PM
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:So where would you (Hol and Nalod) place the Warriors in NBA history out of all nba teams? Top what?

Really hard to say..Think about it..We saw some dynasties with Magic, Bird, Duncan, Shaq and Kobe, Bron in Miami, Detroit...What they do going forward will be important in terms of legacy..Right now they are one of the better teams in the league..I think a Cavs team at full strength will beat them...I think OKC at full strength is better with the right coach..

That's a copout. You won't even give a number? Do you think they're top 50 all time?
holfresh

6/17/2015  3:25 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/17/2015  3:45 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:

That's a copout. You won't even give a number? Do you think they're top 50 all time?

Im going to only go with teams that I saw...I thought some teams that lost to MJ were better like Portland Trailblazers with Clyde, Terry Porter etc..But I'll say they are a nudge better than the Portland team that won with Walton or maybe on the same tier..How about if I give your in terms of tier...I think they are on the same tier as Doc and the Sixer team that won...On the same tier as Houston with Hakeem..Essentially good teams that won when the rest of the league wasn't at full strength..

I don't see them are a dynasty type team...They will however be very good...

You might ask why I have this view..I am not convinced that Curry and their perimeter offense cannot be stopped...I think their front line can be exploited..I couldn't understand why Houston didnt put Corey Brewer on Curry and post him on offense...Make him work defensively..Cleveland tried it late with Shump in the last game..But Shump is just horrible around the rim..

Bonn1997
USA
6/17/2015  4:59 PM
JesseDark wrote:I think this is going to be a more frustrating off season for LeBron than others when he has not won the chip. It's not like he can say I need to get stronger or I need to improve my handle in order for us to win it all. He just needs better players around him.

Yeah, but he had to deal with bitter disappointment his first year in Miami and came back strong.
They were not only missing Love and Irving but Verajao too. He has to motivate himself to stay at top shape just knowing that he'll basically have a new team next year.
holfresh

6/17/2015  6:03 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/17/2015  6:06 PM
TripleThreat wrote:

What do you call the guy who graduates last in his class at medical school?

Doctor.

Not sure why people want to mince over degrees of greatness. I guess if it amuse them, have at it.

Bill Parcells once said that all you can do as a team, a player or a coach is to play the games they put in front of you. It's not like you get to choose.

One thing I do find patently disturbing is the media coverage of the Finals, where everyone is essentially blowing LBJ nonstop. I have seen this kind of athlete worship/slobberfest since Brett Favre played a MNF game right after his father died and threw four first half touchdowns.

Why can't the league just be honest about it? Stephen Curry is a great player, but he is simply not as marketable as LBJ and some other NBA "stars" Curry is a humble soft spoken team player. He doesn't get caught at the airport with an assault rifle. He's not caught with a bag of coke while shooting up a nightclub. He's not banging a Kardashian. He doesn't have his own cologne or talk about being the next Jay Z and dating a pop star/wannabe actress.

Instead of giving Curry true credit by giving him Finals MVP, they give it to Iggy so nothing can take away from the LBJ - The One Man Army musical. Which is hilarious because LBJ put together a team that fell apart on him, forcing him to play like he was a one man army in the first place.

I am disheartened by this "Golden State won .... but if you think about it.., it should all really be about LeBron James" This is the kind of "who can sell the most shoes and cheeseburgers" narrative that David Stern liked to push.

I am disgusted that the league let the networks and sponsors push them around so much that they even kowtow to the false altar of LBJ's ego.

Though I think that Iggy deserve the the MVP, I do certainly see why people say that LeBron could have been the MVP as well..It's not for the reasons you have stated..He played a phenomenal series and put up historic numbers on par with if not better than the all time greats...U can take that away from him...Do the media and league kiss his arse..Sure..But the performance was historic..

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/17/2015  6:21 PM
TripleThreat wrote:

Why can't the league just be honest about it? Stephen Curry is a great player, but he is simply not as marketable as LBJ and some other NBA "stars" Curry is a humble soft spoken team player. He doesn't get caught at the airport with an assault rifle. He's not caught with a bag of coke while shooting up a nightclub. He's not banging a Kardashian. He doesn't have his own cologne or talk about being the next Jay Z and dating a pop star/wannabe actress.

Is LeBron doing any of this stuff? Not that I am aware of. I have no issue with Iggy getting the mvp. My only issue if Lebron got it would be that I think the player should be from the winning team.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/18/2015  2:46 AM
TripleThreat wrote:

What do you call the guy who graduates last in his class at medical school?

Doctor.

Not sure why people want to mince over degrees of greatness. I guess if it amuse them, have at it.

Bill Parcells once said that all you can do as a team, a player or a coach is to play the games they put in front of you. It's not like you get to choose.

One thing I do find patently disturbing is the media coverage of the Finals, where everyone is essentially blowing LBJ nonstop. I have seen this kind of athlete worship/slobberfest since Brett Favre played a MNF game right after his father died and threw four first half touchdowns.

Instead of giving Curry true credit by giving him Finals MVP, they give it to Iggy so nothing can take away from the LBJ - The One Man Army musical. Which is hilarious because LBJ put together a team that fell apart on him, forcing him to play like he was a one man army in the first place.

I am disheartened by this "Golden State won .... but if you think about it.., it should all really be about LeBron James" This is the kind of "who can sell the most shoes and cheeseburgers" narrative that David Stern liked to push.

I am disgusted that the league let the networks and sponsors push them around so much that they even kowtow to the false altar of LBJ's ego.

Some good stuff here.

Add Tim Duncan to Curry. Duncan, a quiet champion who shies away from fame, it would seem, was on 5 title teams spanning 3 decades, but you would never know it.

Star players have driven the NBA narrative for about 35 years and the ubiquity of sports TV, the internet, and marketing fuels this even more. Add video games to this mix, by the way.

Easier to market superstar vs superstar, or go on and on about the "best player in the world," and "best of all time, than to simply market a good team with likable stars who have no edge or arrogance.

The networks almost seem let down that in a team sport, "The Worlds Best Player" does not triumph over the better team. Tough when Superman is seen to be human. Not too tough to come up with next years marketing campaign, though- LBJ- The Redemption.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/18/2015  8:26 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:I don't think their path was particularly weak. For starters, they're in the west, and they had to beat 3 50+ win teams. How about the 1999 Spurs? They had to beat a barely .500 team that was missing its top player in the finals.
I'm thinking people just don't like Golden State's roster/approach and are looking for any reason they can come up with to minimize what they've achieved.

Not really..You aren't looking at the entire picture...Cavs gave them all they could handle with 2 all start missing...Houston was missing Beverly their best perimeter defender..They had two almost 38 yr olds chasing Curry..Then they faced Conley and Allen who were hurt...

If you're going to say that a series win is invalid or even diminished because a guy at the level of Patrick Beverly was out, you're basically invalidating 90 plus percent of NBA playoff series.

Not at all..Injuries are part of the game..Don't forget DHow just came back from injury as well...He was out almost half the year..But if you are classifying them as an all time great team, well you have to look at it through another lens..

It depends on what you mean by all time great. I think the article in the other thread showing them statistically to be a top 15 team is about right.
Dwight wasn't exactly just coming back. He played the final 11 regular season games and next 17 playoff games. He was almost 30 games back.

He was on minutes restrictions like Amare..20 mins per game..Even continued in the playoffs..

He played 34 mpg in the playoffs. The two games he had low min he was in foul trouble (5 and 6 total fouls).
I'm sure his knee was sore but you want to marginalize what the Warriors accomplished because Howard was "only" healthy enough to average 16.4 points, 14.0 rebs, and 2.3 blocks a game? You don't recognize how desperate your arguments are getting?

I get it, your an academic and when presented with a reasonable presented statistical case as the one being discussed your likely going to grab on to it. I discounted it because I think the salary cap, not talent dilution has created parity like no other time in the game. Its how GSW went from about worst to champ in 4 years. While I won't argue Curry as MVP (how anyone not named Lebron gets it is another story) it reminds me about the argument Nash got when he had his two MVPs. Then I think about is this GSW team better than the suns team that won 60+ games? I think not. Statistically you could present some metric that says otherwise but the lack of a Laker team or SAS to challenge this GSW team in my eyes and opinion dilutes a teams place in history. Its not GSW fault there are not a great dynasty to overcome, or that they got a break with injuries to opponents. But in my opinion it dilutes there historical place.

Ok, Lets put them at no. 41. Would 3 chips in 5 years elevate their stature? Of course it would. IT would certainly go a long way to validate there place in history. We'll see. Right now they are like the 1978 Washington Bulletts TO ME. Best team that year!

To me its like saying "Jordans the greatest". Why? Cuz he got 6 rings in 6 tries. If thats the measure then Russell's 11 in 13 years is far superior. Now, we all know Jordan was a better player than Russell but statistically via championships Jordan is tied for 10th place for individuals with chips, but you get my drift. When you bring in stats you invite debate. Jabbar has 6 rings as well. Is his anymore important than Jordans? Then we have to look at the competition and the teams they were on. so Stats alone don't tell the full story.

THE 2015 NBA playoff thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy